What is wrong with Spandex...

To me it is like someone dressing up like a NASCAR race driver to go across town in a car.
1651262695277.png

I am not a pro racer on race day so I am not going to dress like one. That would be silly. Even on Halloween. Yes, I have cycling clothes. Things like merino wool sweaters because they are comfortable. I even clip in about four times per year on long hilly group rides but I mostly use lightweight mesh rock climbing shoes. They are easy to ride in and I don't need to walk like a pregnant penguin when I arrive. And I sometimes use cycling windbreakers and florescent vests. My pants need ventilation and pockets and my shirts are all cotton or linen. Bikes are integral with my life. I want seamless transitions among activities including riding. Cycling is not a separate activity that requires a separate special costume. Cycling is not just a sport. I wouldn't dress in a lawn bowling costume either.
1651264160123.png

To me it is like someone dressing up like a NASCAR race driver to go across town in a car.
View attachment 121762
I am not a pro racer on race day so I am not going to dress like one. That would be silly. Even on Halloween. Yes, I have cycling clothes. Things like merino wool sweaters because they are comfortable. I even clip in about four times per year on long hilly group rides but I mostly use lightweight mesh rock climbing shoes. They are easy to ride in and I don't need to walk like a pregnant penguin when I arrive. And I sometimes use cycling windbreakers and florescent vests. My pants need ventilation and pockets and my shirts are all cotton or linen. Bikes are integral with my life. I want seamless transitions among activities including riding. Cycling is not a separate activity that requires a separate special costume. Cycling is not just a sport. I wouldn't dress in a lawn bowling costume either.
View attachment 121763
I kinda like those hats.

I used to live adjacent to right downtown Vancouver. Seeing the Ricky Racer crowd was commonplace.
The thing I just cannot stand to see is all of them wearing team jerseys. "Oh, I didn't know there was a bike race in town tonight, I mean, why else would you think being dressed in that "Tour de France getup" is something a sane person ought to be seen doing? To slightly alter a quote from Fran Lebowitz, "your right to wear that Team Sky cycling costume ends where it meets my eye"
Same with grown *** men wearing hockey jerseys with another man's name across the back. I mean, WTF? They're everywhere here.
You can buy jerseys at just about any LBS or Rec. store without all the team crap on them, so I guess they just want everybody to think they are some sort of professional rider. It really kills me to see a whole whack of them riding together all dressed exactly the same like they're a team in the Tour. Borders on pathetic.
I have the odd cycling top that is as plain-jane as it can be. No writing, no logos, etc, simply because they do the job and are comfortable. I often wear some MTB shorts with suspenders and a built in padded pair of cycling shorts under a jersey, but most often I just wear a simple padded lycra liner underneath some cargo shorts. CN

It is so sad and funny. One of these spandex guys purchased medals on eBay. He is full of SH!T. A braggart and a bully. It was all about the façade. Riding is intrinsically fun, that is mostly why we do it.
1651443265716.png

I used to live adjacent to right downtown Vancouver. Seeing the Ricky Racer crowd was commonplace.
The thing I just cannot stand to see is all of them wearing team jerseys. "Oh, I didn't know there was a bike race in town tonight, I mean, why else would you think being dressed in that "Tour de France getup" is something a sane person ought to be seen doing? To slightly alter a quote from Fran Lebowitz, "your right to wear that Team Sky cycling costume ends where it meets my eye"
Same with grown *** men wearing hockey jerseys with another man's name across the back. I mean, WTF? They're everywhere here.
You can buy jerseys at just about any LBS or Rec. store without all the team crap on them, so I guess they just want everybody to think they are some sort of professional rider. It really kills me to see a whole whack of them riding together all dressed exactly the same like they're a team in the Tour. Borders on pathetic.
I have the odd cycling top that is as plain-jane as it can be. No writing, no logos, etc, simply because they do the job and are comfortable. I often wear some MTB shorts with suspenders and a built in padded pair of cycling shorts under a jersey, but most often I just wear a simple padded lycra liner underneath some cargo shorts. CN
I'm usually friendly to other cyclists and will wave or nod as we pass each other but whenever I encounter these guys with all the team jerseys that look like they are in the Tour de France, they don't acknowledge me. Don't even look at me. I'm sure they hold me in the greatest disdain as I'm a middle aged woman on a fat tire e-bike.

I'm usually friendly to other cyclists and will wave or nod as we pass each other
I suspect it is because they are jerks. We have some here like that. Those guys have something in common with the Philippine carnivorous Nepenthes Flower.

Kid that used to work at my old LBS 40 years ago now owns his own shop. He sponsors a race team that practices together as a team several evenings a week. They dress as team, just like many other teams. They are not all stuck up douches. Plus the nightly training, in uniform is basically free advertising for his shop.

...Lycra, Gore-tex, Softshell?

Isn't the hatred against these modern cycling-clothing fabrics expressed by the $1,000 e-bike crowd that simply cannot afford better clothes?
There is nothing wrong with spandex IMO. It's the attitude of SOME of the people who wear it that bothers me. Unfortunately, the fabric gets a bad rap from these "holier than thou" riders.

Personally, I don't care for the look when in public away from the bike. This is just my opinion though.

It is so sad and funny. One of these spandex guys purchased medals on eBay. He is full of SH!T. A braggart and a bully. It was all about the façade. Riding is intrinsically fun, that is mostly why we do it.
That kind of stuff is sadly very common these days.

Well, I'm old school on cycling. I recognize the need for spandex. Not the material so much but the multipanel, flat seam construction of the shorts. The good designs ("10 panel" and similar) are made so no seams are rubbing against sensitive parts that will be rubbed over and over again thousands of times on the ride. Thats also why they are snug to the skin - to prevent rubbing thru motion. Think inner thighs and what an ordinary inseam can do to them because of its placement. You can do without and ride conventional pants, but those shorts are made as they are specifically to alleviate physical suffering on your skin. Not look pretty and not pad your bum. My chamois shorts - a real leather chamois back in the day - was about absorbing sweat. Padding, not so much. But it became about that as the years went on and thats not a bad thing.

I am no longer a 135 lb cyclist, though. Dunlaps disease among other things has made me leery of overtly wearing the shorts, and as such I wear them as undies now beneath conventional shorts. In particular the Duluth Trading shorts that have the extra 'ballroom (tm)' crotch gussett. Without the underoos, I have a much more limited riding time - but then again I am a strong pedaler. If I was throttling I could go on for much longer.

Here's something to think about on those cycling jerseys. Back in the day (but still true in the harder core groups) you NEVER wore a jersey you didn't earn. Ever. So if someone buys a team jersey or an event jersey of any kind, they are considered an instant poser and a fool by anyone who is in any way a committed, experienced cyclist, or who has ever been a professional. For pros, they wear the jersey with the advertising because its part of their job and the jersey is given to them for free. No other reason. So again if you didn't earn it, you are an idiot for wearing it. Think on that the next time you see some fop sporting a cycling jersey with logos all over it.

Lastly: When it comes to layering, I don't give up on the shorts until the temperature gets down to about 35 fahrenheit. Two layers of t shirts down to about 40. You wear heavy layers because its below freezing or you aren't doing any work. Again... nothing more amusing than to see some jackass looking like a ballerina who forgot his tutu. Especially if they try and throw any shade on me; wearing a day glo t shirt and shorts only. An easy mark for a pointed comment about growing a pair and acclimating so you don't have to look like a stylish eskimo.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the roady spandex look. Just not for me. With that being said, it's easier to see brighter colors on riders when driving.
Yes on hi-viz yellow for visibility. My street bike helmet, and my bicycle helmet. I'm pretty certain they make a difference at being noticed. I see cagers sometimes look my way halfheartedly, and then swing back around and actually see me.
hiViz yellow helmet.jpg
helmet_001.jpg

Hey, Mike, what I'm wearing on such weather is:
  • "Thermoactive" underpants
  • Merino wool long sleeve undershirt
  • Padded bib tights made of modern breathable, wind resistant fabric
  • Thick long socks
  • Cycling shoes
  • A Softshell jersey
  • A sleeveless windbreaker
  • A thin balaclava
  • A winter helmet
  • Goggles
  • Water-repellent, wind resistant, breathable gloves.
View attachment 121729
50-60 F (windy weather), more lightweight clothes. (Strava reminds me it was 4 C or 40 F at the beginning of the ride but it became warmer during that day). I bought the windbreaker to survive the low initial temperature!
So no Spandex then? Are you just trolling to see if anyone wants pics of you in Spandex then? :D :D

*shrug* - there are some neat fabrics out there (google Outlast - heat-reactive), and I've used some on motorcycles and elsewhere. The typical 'spandex bib' road-rider setup just isn't among those, as I think they look rather goofy, and probably have some ill will due to some road riders that believe they own the road in a few places nearby.

I do run mtb shoes, wear a bike jersey or other breathable top, including wool sometimes, and have a couple of pairs of biking pants which are more or less like workout pants but tapered at the ankles to not get snagged in the chainring. On longer rides I've got some biking shorts which feel like riding in diapers, but help on longer rides. I've got a few pairs of gloves.

With the exception of the biking shorts, bike helmet and gloves, most of my stuff is multi-purpose and I can simply wear outside or on the motorcycles, or otherwise outdoors. No real concern in paying some $ for truly performant gear, but no lycra/spandex bib sets for me, sorry. :)

Back