Experience Thread: A noobie getting into a specialized vado 5.0 IGH

Our plan was to buy two bikes and ride together. But since I haven't found a functional bike yet and she was never going to ride in the winter, we backed off that. The peloton is hopefully the conduit to being ready for spring biking together. I plan to use it when my bike is "down" (or weather sucks) as it has been more than 50% of the time since june. We think my wife will become attached to peloton classes and coaches. That kind of thing motivates her. I would much rather be outside on a real bike.

No more excuses. There will be biking in this house. ;P
I hope the Peloton works out reliable in the long term, the company laid off 5K staff this year amongst talk of a buyout. I see them sold on Amazon now. None-the-less looks an awesome machine.

I hope the Peloton works out reliable in the long term, the company laid off 5K staff this year amongst talk of a buyout. I see them sold on Amazon now. None-the-less looks an awesome machine.
One word: Rent.

Took the new bike down to the LBS for a safety check and back to my house. ;) Exciting! It was raining. And I have a lot going on so I couldn't take it out for a real ride. If all goes well, tomorrow is the day! Woot!

One thing that was pretty frustrating: The varia radar kept triggering. I *think* it was somehow detecting the motion of the kinekt seat (with bag). I lowered it a lot, and it might be dealt with. But I may need to look at other mount options.

You should be able to turn the beep off or mount it lower. I have my Garmin Varia mounted just above the seat post binder and it detects traffic just fine. I use a mirror on my glasses to watch traffic and the Varia to track speed, quantity and last car speed. The other people in the group started to complain about the beeps but if I am riding in certain areas on my own I turn the sound back on.

You should be able to turn the beep off or mount it lower. I have my Garmin Varia mounted just above the seat post binder and it detects traffic just fine. I use a mirror on my glasses to watch traffic and the Varia to track speed, quantity and last car speed. The other people in the group started to complain about the beeps but if I am riding in certain areas on my own I turn the sound back on.
It's constant regardless of if there is anything there. Mounting lower may have helped. But I need to go out on a real ride, not a podunk LBS run.

IN other news, the bike isn't charging. *sigh*.

It's constant regardless of if there is anything there. Mounting lower may have helped. But I need to go out on a real ride, not a podunk LBS run.

IN other news, the bike isn't charging. *sigh*.
Have we been apprised of the brand/type of bike you have chosen?

Well, the big reveal: It's an flx blade 2.0.

There are a few issues I am working out. Hopefully they will be worked out shortly. I am only going to make a couple comments on the bike itself.

1) Oh my god is the motor powerful.
2) I miss my automatic shifting.

@Stefan Mikes Yep. It's a bafang ultra. I thought you would be impressed by that. ;)

So, not charging. That's a thing. Probably a bad charger, but getting a replacement is taking some time. However, I only needed eco 1 for 90% of my ride today. I maxed at eco 3 on the hill home ( and I probably didn't "need" it). Now, this makes sense because at eco 3, it is at the watt output of near 100% on the vado (possibly at it, it's not a precise readout). Sooooo.... here we are. Let's not talk about sport 5. I am not trying to pedal myself to the moon. I also am trying to *not* eat my battery in 3 minutes.

And, no, it's not as quiet or smooth as the specialized motor. In fact, I am struggling with intermittent power loss, which may be due to low rpm "lugging", not sure yet. But the gear range is crazy good (rohloff). So I should be able to get my RPM up on any hills, just not used to dealing with it yet.

One accessory I will comment on now, brooks c17 carved saddle. I have only had a few rides, but saddle comfort is *not* one of the problems. It's honestly pretty surprising. And I think the comfort is only going to get better as I fine tune fit. I have handlebars coming to help with reach/height (already swapped stems). Kinekt seat post is on and working.

The radar goes bat crap crazy for the first 30 seconds of every ride. Then it figures it out. Back to 1040 solar. Still don't love it. But not having crazy issues either.

My LBS is actually more excited about this bike. The shop manager wants me to switch to eggrider v2. I will probably order one when back in stock for bafang motors.

It's great to be back out there. I did lose stuff falling out of my pockets today while riding. I re-traced my ride, but lost a pair of expensive cycling glasses I was intending to return. :(

Happy Riding!

Looks like an absolute killer bike! Good luck.
I do see it is sold with the carbon belt and Rohloff hub....you did not get that one?

Looks like an absolute killer bike! Good luck.
I do see it is sold with the carbon belt and Rohloff hub....you did not get that one?
i believe he did get the belt / rohloff one; he mentions the rohloff. it just doesn’t shift automatically, afaik?

i believe he did get the belt / rohloff one; he mentions the rohloff. it just doesn’t shift automatically, afaik?
Bingo. Rohloff, belt, bafang ultra. No automatic shifting. I saw no weak components. It’s built like a tank. Guy at the LBS was telling me I could get air with this bike.

Anywho, it’s a solid ride. The only real concern is the occasional power drop out and battery life in higher assist modes. Until I can charge I am keeping things short and easy.

Suggestion for the future.
174FCEBE-888F-4B47-B482-2A6CD3AE74DD.jpeg

Back