Experience Thread: A noobie getting into a specialized vado 5.0 IGH

dynamic

Region
USA
The purpose of this thread is to show an on-going experience of getting into biking from a noobie perspective. Investing in biking is a lot more intense than I had expected. I am kind of an "all-in" guy. So this thread will document that experience as I go. I am open to suggestions, commentary, feedback... etc. I just want more noobs to see some of the journey.

Until this summer, I had not biked in almost 10 years. I have been looking for a "practical" hobby that would have other benefits to my life. I have hopefully settled on cycling. I came to e-bikes because I am not fit enough to handle the hill in either direction from my house on a regular bike. More specficially, biking here with a regular bike is.... not fun. E-bikes are fun.

I have landed on the vado after some trial and error. If all continues to go well, my wife will be joining me on a como.

Picking gear that really works for me has been quite a wild ride. A lot of this thread will focus on the what and why.

To start, I will identify some stuff I am or have used. What I like about it and where I am going next.

Vado 5.0 IGH - I realized I wanted the lowest maintenance possible supported by my LBS with the biggest motor I could get. I want one bike that can do "anything". That is this bike. As it stands, it is also the smoothest bike I tried. I don't love the price, and I am not super sold on the "value". Is it "better" than everything else? yes. IS it twice the price better? Really not sure yet. Weirdly, I have had more numbness/comfort issues on this bike than any other. There is no "next" bike. If this one doesn't work out, I'll be out of the game for a while. Which brings us to the first required accessory and next item.

Ergon GP5 grips - I just put these on the bike and almost instantly numbness was just about gone. I would not be surprised if adjustments eliminate remaining comfort issues. This has not been tested on longer rides yet, but will provide more feedback. I can say that short term numbness is under control. Inner bar ends are possibly "in the future".

Bike fit by Phil Burt (book) - I read this cover to cover given how bad the vado was initially. And I followed a lot of the fit advice and, again, so many issues rapidly disappeared. Even the saddle I hated became usable. I still have the specialized expedition gel saddle in bound as I do think some additional padding and something that encourages taking weight off my hands will help further. I am looking for any other bike comfort optimizations.

Shimano PD-eh500 pedals - I wanted to see what it's like to clip in. As it stands, I *love* being clipped in. It's like a whole new world of functional bike riding. These pedals can be a bit challenging to get clipped into, but I also like the flat side more than the flats that came on the bike. I have zero experience with this. I do wish they always hung the same direction. I am always looking down to get the second foot on correctly. I do plan to try magpeds for a comfort reason.

Specialized recon 1.0 (shoes) - This brings us to the part of being clipped in I hate: Walking on clips. I simply can't tolerate it. I am finding a shoe that has just a touch more recession for the cleats so it doesn't bother me so much. The pearl iZumi x-alp summit is inbound. This is also why magpeds are under consideration.

Two wheel gear Pannier backpack convertible lite - So, I am not actually a commuter. I want my pannier to serve a lot of purposes. This would be a great option for an actual commuter. For me, it's a bit of a mixed bag. I would like something that can carry a laptop, but can also be loaded on the bike. I hadn't realized how essential top load is to me. And the backpack conversion takes up far too much space while still not really being good at it. What I really want is a tote with some organization inside. The priority 174 hudson tote bag was way better than I realized. If I don't find something else that works, I will just go buy another one of those. I haven't found an ortlieb that does what I want.

Doubletrack handlebar bag - In theory, this is great. In practice it was far too annoying to get on and off the bike to use as a dual bag. If it had clips you left on the bike and just snapped in, it would be awesome. As such, I decided to just throw my small stuff in the two wheel gear bag and not have a handlebar bag. Way simpler.

Oi bell - I love this thing. It has a wonderfully pleasing sound. Not grating but unusual enough that people notice it without startling them. Really, a win/win.

Future Stuff

x-alps summit - arriving shortly. I am hoping the recession is deep enough to hide the cleat while walking. If not, magpeds will be moved up in priority.
Abus 5750 + chain lock - Trying to save my mounts on the bike for other things. Specialized had to send me a small adapter to make this work. Don't have it on the bike yet, but have all the pieces.
magpeds ultra2/enduro? - I *really* like the idea of magnetic attachment in this scenario. But, honestly, clip-in has been a lot easier than I anticipated. So, the primary reason for it would be if it is functionally easier than clip-in either on or off the bike.
inner bar ends - I saw a whole discussion on these. So far, I like the gp5 and don't feel like I need anything else. In fact, the gp1 may have been enough, but I don't mind having options. The horns don't bother me in any way.
mirrcycle mirror - Now that I can have bar end mirrors, I will try them. Hafny mirrors were terrible and came off the bike in like 3 rides.
shorter crank - The bike fit book really likes the idea of shorter crank length. so, at some point I may try them.
specialized expedition gel saddle - I ordered this before I finished the bike fit book. and I am honestly not sure it is the right saddle. I do think the rivo sport is not right for me. My experience on como (comfort gel) was much better. I am trying for comfort more than anything else.
burley nomad cargo trailer - for weekly grocery shopping. Hoping to do this really soon.
burley bee single kid trailer - for the three year old. I am hoping the eight year old will be able to handle biking with us on his own bike.
winter riding boots - wolvhammer seem a bit overkill. But I am not seeing a lot of options. Winters here can get bad. Not sure how much riding I will be able to do.

Generically, I am also looking for more winterized stuff from tires to clothing. A better pannier option for me would be good. Maybe a water bottle and holder (I rarely drink on rides. Sub 10 miles just don't need it)

So this is the start. I will update this thread as I find different things that work/don't work. More feedback on the bike and all of this stuff will be posted.

Happy Riding!

If anyone knows of spd shoes that do a better job recessing the cleat for walking purposes, do let me know. Also open to other options like crankbrothers pedals. Doesn't have to be SPD. I was just under the impression they had the lowest profile clip-in style.

X-alp summit do not entirely solve the cleat issue. They are slightly better than the recon in terms of cleat presence on the floor (I won't walk with either on my hardwood floors). But, I am not sure they are as comfortable as the recon. I will likely get magped pedals so I can try having a plate below the rubber on the shoe. In which case, the recon may still be the better option.

I do like the boa system from a convenience perspective. But, I am not sure it leads to better fit in my case. I have a high instep and the laces don't seem to adapt well to that.

Assuming either worked with magped well I would simply pick by off bike fit. Currently that's probably the recon, but I will give the summit some ride time before I decide.

So, I think I am leaning toward the recon + magped between these two.

Suggestions are always welcome!

I had my first "de-belting" today. My pants got caught in the belt and pulled it off the groove. I was only a few blocks from my LBS at the time and they reset it for me. They popped the wheel off, reset and put it back on. If I had the proper wrench, I probably could have done it.

I have moved up "cycling friendly pants" to the top of the list. Also, even at 63 degrees, I found it necessary to wear my hoodie. Downhill speeds were a bit brisk.

One big positive: Using my normal padded fingerless gloves and the new grips, I had very little hand numbness today. I wouldn't say it's completely gone, but more like it's a minor tingle when present.

The saddle still doesn't feel right. Will continue to mess with position once the new saddle is here (hopefully today).

In other news, I think I like the x-alp summit slightly more than the recon. I had to walk to the LBS in them, and while I still don't like it, it doesn't actively annoy me. It's more like "oh, I have something on the bottom of my shoe".

Gonna try some magpeds. However, I just learned that these shoes may not be a good match for magpeds. Grrr.

Suggestions are always welcome!
Dynamic, a thought has just crossed my mind. You chose the top of the line Specialized Vado with the most powerful motor and a large battery. Your choice was the automatic IGH/belt for maintenance free and comfortable rides so you do not need to think of staying in the proper gear. In other words, you bought a SUV e-bike. I fully respect your choice and am happy with your happiness.

And now you come with the SPD. I could understand it if you were an SPD rider for most of your life and got addicted to the solution (as my brother and many mates got). However, you are riding a SUV e-bike. Why SPD? The clipless pedals/shoes are ridden by sporty traditional cyclists to maximize the leverage of the SPD to put & keep their bikes in motion (especially when they get off-the-saddle for a climb or acceleration). A powerful e-bike needs no SPD. Unless you cannot ride without the SPD.

When I was an inexperienced e-biker, I was of course experimenting. The Road SPD experiment ended with two painful crashes to me. The "beginner" MTB SPD experiment was safer but once I avoided a collision with a car (or a fall instead) only by the fact the SPD pedals I used allowed detaching the shoe by three different foot movements, and the spring was tightened lightly. Moreover, you cannot really change your SPD shoes for different seasons.

My eventual choice was simple: CrankBrothers Stamp 1 or 7, Large. And three varieties of shoes:
  • Adidas FiveTen Freerider Pro for the most of the year and for any long ride
  • Leather sandals with a thick sole and toe protection strip for hot summer
  • Hiking boots for the winter.
I can walk in any of these shoes when off the bike. And if I forget changing shoes, I just ride in sneakers. The FiveTens hold my feet on the pedal as if the shoe were glued to the pedal! To "disconnect" my 510s from the pedals, I actually need to raise my feet a little. And... I was often winning short sprints (for fun) with my younger and healthy gravel cycling mates, me not wearing any SPD.

If you need the SPD, go on. But... do you need the SPD? :)

Last edited:
Moreover, you cannot really change your SPD shoes for different seasons.
I don't understand this. Why not? Just put cleats on multiple shoes and adjust them similarly? Am I missing something?

As to needing SPD, no. But adding that connection fixed a number of things for me. Everything from toe strikes to pothole traction. I am one of those people that tries stuff just to see how it is different. And I either love it or I don't. In this case, I love it. It's adding a bit of confidence.

As to getting out, the pd-eh500 with sh-56 cleats are almost magical in that respect. They only restrain the foot in a cycling motion. Nearly anything else pops right out. I would imagine an actual clip-in athlete would find this setup too loose (float?) and not allow the power to develop. Since power isn't the goal, it's not an issue for me.

I think it is also helping with proper positioning for fit. I have noticed that riding clipped-in seem to suffer less from other discomfort issues for both the saddle and the hands. Now, I am tuning the seat and grips for clipped in riding. The original reason was simply to remove a variable. If I am clipping in, and I have not adjusted cleat position, then only the other changes make a difference.

Is SPD needed? No, if I can't walk with it nicely, I will ditch it ultimately. But, if I can get the above benefits with little practical cost, I would like to have them. So, I will keep trying.

Unfortunately, magpeds may mean different shoes and pedals. It's relatively hard for me to find shoes that are actually comfortable. I went through five or six for the recon, and the x-alp summit I picked purely on multiple reviews addressing my particular issues. Apparently I need "flat sole" shoes for magpeds to work well. The 2fo roost whatevers were crazy uncomfortable for me.

Well, if you are happy with the SPD, I have nothing to say. Only that the proper shoes and traction-pin platform shoes ensure exactly the same connection of the foot to the pedal, and you can also have multiple foot positions :)

Regarding the different seasons, I guess you can buy SPD sandals and SPD winter shoes.

Well, if you are happy with the SPD, I have nothing to say. Only that the proper shoes and traction-pin platform shoes ensure exactly the same connection of the foot to the pedal, and you can also have multiple foot positions :)

Regarding the different seasons, I guess you can buy SPD sandals and SPD winter shoes.
Based purely on the eh500 traction on the flat side, I can believe that lateral traction is sufficient. But not so much vertical.

But the consistent placement *and* keeping it there is valuable to me.

Now, when I stand up through bumpy sections, it might be a different story. But, I prefer fully seated riding currently.

But not so much vertical.
The vertical traction is only important while pedalling out-of-the-saddle (standing on the pedals while rotating the cranks). Do you ever stand on your pedals to rotate your cranks? Never happened to me on an e-bike.

The platform pedal technique is: While sitting on the saddle, you slide your feet forward and backwards (or at least think you are doing that). That makes the e-bike accelerate very fast, with the cadence increasing at an improbable rate!

I often do stand on the pedals like MTBers do. Not pedalling, of course. No chance my feet would ever slide on the traction-pin pedals!

The vertical traction is only important while pedalling out-of-the-saddle (standing on the pedals while rotating the cranks). Do you ever stand on your pedals to rotate your cranks? Never happened to me on an e-bike.

The platform pedal technique is: While sitting on the saddle, you slide your feet forward and backwards (or at least think you are doing that). That makes the e-bike accelerate very fast, with the cadence increasing at an improbable rate!

I often do stand on the pedals like MTBers do. Not pedalling, of course. No chance my feet would ever slide on the traction-pin pedals!
My feet get knocked off the pedals while seated if I hit big enough bumps (standing would solve this). *but* I am not using good shoes. When not clipped in, I have been casual riding in birkenstocks. Not the best choice, but until full winter, socks necessary, it’s the only shoe I wear. I haven’t bothered to buy a casual biking shoe. My boots are probably a better choice.

My “dream” goal is to have clip bike shoes and my normal seasonal shoes mostly overlap. If it weren’t so late in the season, I would have purchased the shimano spd sandals (or a generic one I found). The fewer blockers there are to getting on the bike the more I will use it.

Something that happened just today: I didn’t make it to the coffee shop before it closed on my bike because of a bunch of prep stuff. I am not used to all the steps yet. But, part of the way I solve stuff like that isn’t changing to bike clothes, it’s making sure most of the stuff I wear is bike friendly. Today, I learned I have to add pants to that with my “de-belting” incident. I need new pants anyway, so whatever I buy will be readily usable on bikes. I realize thinking this way is a bit different. And it isn’t always possible. But when it is, it saves me a lot of time.

So, suspension seats. I don't like this one. It constantly "tops out". And after my experience with the cane creek thudbuster, it just feels.... lackluster. Honestly, I never really felt the thudbuster in a direct way. It just seemed to stifle the potholes a bit. This seat I feel bouncing and hitting the top as it responds. I am not a fan. It "clicks" and stops moving up.

Replacing with a thudbuster has definitely been added to the "future" list.

My new saddle arrived. Hopefully I will be able to try it out tomorrow.

Something that happened just today: I didn’t make it to the coffee shop before it closed on my bike because of a bunch of prep stuff. I am not used to all the steps yet. But, part of the way I solve stuff like that isn’t changing to bike clothes, it’s making sure most of the stuff I wear is bike friendly. Today, I learned I have to add pants to that with my “de-belting” incident. I need new pants anyway, so whatever I buy will be readily usable on bikes. I realize thinking this way is a bit different. And it isn’t always possible. But when it is, it saves me a lot of time.
The preparation steps to just set off the ride can really be annoying. While it is fairly easy in the Summer, it often takes me an hour to prepare in the Winter. You know, all those proper clothes, helmet, goggles, gloves...

Replacing with a thudbuster has definitely been added to the "future" list.
The suspension seat-post used for your Vado indeed seems to be the weakest link. Thudbuster? Why not. I use Cirrus Cycles Kinect 2.1 on my big Vado and have never regretted that.

The preparation steps to just set off the ride can really be annoying. While it is fairly easy in the Summer, it often takes me an hour to prepare in the Winter. You know, all those proper clothes, helmet, goggles, gloves...

The suspension seat-post used for your Vado indeed seems to be the weakest link. Thudbuster? Why not. I use Cirrus Cycles Kinect 2.1 on my big Vado and have never regretted that.
I'm looking into the Cirrus Kinect 2.1 as well, but I'm not sure what size I need for my XL frame Vado 5.0. Do you know if 350 mm or 420 mm is the correct length?

I'm looking into the Cirrus Kinect 2.1 as well, but I'm not sure what size I need for my XL frame Vado 5.0. Do you know if 350 mm or 420 mm is the correct length?
I don't know, really. What is the length of your current seat-post for the XL frame?

The purpose of this thread is to show an on-going experience of getting into biking from a noobie perspective. Investing in biking is a lot more intense than I had expected. I am kind of an "all-in" guy. So this thread will document that experience as I go. I am open to suggestions, commentary, feedback... etc. I just want more noobs to see some of the journey.

Until this summer, I had not biked in almost 10 years. I have been looking for a "practical" hobby that would have other benefits to my life. I have hopefully settled on cycling. I came to e-bikes because I am not fit enough to handle the hill in either direction from my house on a regular bike. More specficially, biking here with a regular bike is.... not fun. E-bikes are fun.

I have landed on the vado after some trial and error. If all continues to go well, my wife will be joining me on a como.

Picking gear that really works for me has been quite a wild ride. A lot of this thread will focus on the what and why.

To start, I will identify some stuff I am or have used. What I like about it and where I am going next.

Vado 5.0 IGH - I realized I wanted the lowest maintenance possible supported by my LBS with the biggest motor I could get. I want one bike that can do "anything". That is this bike. As it stands, it is also the smoothest bike I tried. I don't love the price, and I am not super sold on the "value". Is it "better" than everything else? yes. IS it twice the price better? Really not sure yet. Weirdly, I have had more numbness/comfort issues on this bike than any other. There is no "next" bike. If this one doesn't work out, I'll be out of the game for a while. Which brings us to the first required accessory and next item.

Ergon GP5 grips - I just put these on the bike and almost instantly numbness was just about gone. I would not be surprised if adjustments eliminate remaining comfort issues. This has not been tested on longer rides yet, but will provide more feedback. I can say that short term numbness is under control. Inner bar ends are possibly "in the future".

Bike fit by Phil Burt (book) - I read this cover to cover given how bad the vado was initially. And I followed a lot of the fit advice and, again, so many issues rapidly disappeared. Even the saddle I hated became usable. I still have the specialized expedition gel saddle in bound as I do think some additional padding and something that encourages taking weight off my hands will help further. I am looking for any other bike comfort optimizations.

Shimano PD-eh500 pedals - I wanted to see what it's like to clip in. As it stands, I *love* being clipped in. It's like a whole new world of functional bike riding. These pedals can be a bit challenging to get clipped into, but I also like the flat side more than the flats that came on the bike. I have zero experience with this. I do wish they always hung the same direction. I am always looking down to get the second foot on correctly. I do plan to try magpeds for a comfort reason.

Specialized recon 1.0 (shoes) - This brings us to the part of being clipped in I hate: Walking on clips. I simply can't tolerate it. I am finding a shoe that has just a touch more recession for the cleats so it doesn't bother me so much. The pearl iZumi x-alp summit is inbound. This is also why magpeds are under consideration.

Two wheel gear Pannier backpack convertible lite - So, I am not actually a commuter. I want my pannier to serve a lot of purposes. This would be a great option for an actual commuter. For me, it's a bit of a mixed bag. I would like something that can carry a laptop, but can also be loaded on the bike. I hadn't realized how essential top load is to me. And the backpack conversion takes up far too much space while still not really being good at it. What I really want is a tote with some organization inside. The priority 174 hudson tote bag was way better than I realized. If I don't find something else that works, I will just go buy another one of those. I haven't found an ortlieb that does what I want.

Doubletrack handlebar bag - In theory, this is great. In practice it was far too annoying to get on and off the bike to use as a dual bag. If it had clips you left on the bike and just snapped in, it would be awesome. As such, I decided to just throw my small stuff in the two wheel gear bag and not have a handlebar bag. Way simpler.

Oi bell - I love this thing. It has a wonderfully pleasing sound. Not grating but unusual enough that people notice it without startling them. Really, a win/win.

Future Stuff

x-alps summit - arriving shortly. I am hoping the recession is deep enough to hide the cleat while walking. If not, magpeds will be moved up in priority.
Abus 5750 + chain lock - Trying to save my mounts on the bike for other things. Specialized had to send me a small adapter to make this work. Don't have it on the bike yet, but have all the pieces.
magpeds ultra2/enduro? - I *really* like the idea of magnetic attachment in this scenario. But, honestly, clip-in has been a lot easier than I anticipated. So, the primary reason for it would be if it is functionally easier than clip-in either on or off the bike.
inner bar ends - I saw a whole discussion on these. So far, I like the gp5 and don't feel like I need anything else. In fact, the gp1 may have been enough, but I don't mind having options. The horns don't bother me in any way.
mirrcycle mirror - Now that I can have bar end mirrors, I will try them. Hafny mirrors were terrible and came off the bike in like 3 rides.
shorter crank - The bike fit book really likes the idea of shorter crank length. so, at some point I may try them.
specialized expedition gel saddle - I ordered this before I finished the bike fit book. and I am honestly not sure it is the right saddle. I do think the rivo sport is not right for me. My experience on como (comfort gel) was much better. I am trying for comfort more than anything else.
burley nomad cargo trailer - for weekly grocery shopping. Hoping to do this really soon.
burley bee single kid trailer - for the three year old. I am hoping the eight year old will be able to handle biking with us on his own bike.
winter riding boots - wolvhammer seem a bit overkill. But I am not seeing a lot of options. Winters here can get bad. Not sure how much riding I will be able to do.

Generically, I am also looking for more winterized stuff from tires to clothing. A better pannier option for me would be good. Maybe a water bottle and holder (I rarely drink on rides. Sub 10 miles just don't need it)

So this is the start. I will update this thread as I find different things that work/don't work. More feedback on the bike and all of this stuff will be posted.

Happy Riding!
dynamic , what other bikes did you try ?

dynamic , what other bikes did you try ?
Priority currents, serial 1 rush cty, comos and vados of all styles, a tero. Some cargo bikes (yuba, tern).

Some rented, some borrowed, some test rides at the store. In no way was the testing of each equal. I owned the currents so I had the most time with them.

I run Shimano SPD SL on both of my road bikes so I am an used to be clipped in, however I came into the ebike world knowing that I did not want to clip in. I've been riding in sneakers with the stock pedals on my 22 Vado 5.0 IGH and loving it.

I also am trying to find a comfy saddle that I can ride without cycling shorts. I have the Selle Royal Respiro on order from REI along with Ergon GP1 grips to try. I may try some different flat pedals at some point but don't feel the need so far.

Yeah, but what color is it? Mine is red. ;)

Which one? There seem to be multiple respiro.

GP1 are awesome. Love the beefier grip. Large for the win.
My bike is the off white. I know the red is faster. lol .

I got the Respiro Athletic. It says they are designed for a slightly forward riding position which is what our Vado's are, even my slow white one.

I run Shimano SPD SL on both of my road bikes so I am an used to be clipped in, however I came into the ebike world knowing that I did not want to clip in. I've been riding in sneakers with the stock pedals on my 22 Vado 5.0 IGH and loving it.

I also am trying to find a comfy saddle that I can ride without cycling shorts. I have the Selle Royal Respiro on order from REI along with Ergon GP1 grips to try. I may try some different flat pedals at some point but don't feel the need so far.

Similarly, I ride with Shimano M520 SPD on my road bike and EH500 on my hybrid/gravel bike. Love the connectedness, particularly when standing up to grind out the last bit of a steep hill.

Never crossed my mind to put clipless pedals on my Vado though.

So far I've had no issues with the stock pedals, they're fine with my sneakers and casual shoes. That said, it's also second nature for me to put my weight on the pedals when going over bumps even if I don't fully lift off the seat, so never any issues with feet coming off. If I should decide to change pedals it'll likely be to something like the Wellgo LU-C015 or similar.

You're going to like the Ergon GP1 grips.

I also put a Serfas MR1 bar end mirror on the left side. I've used the Mirrycle Mirror both upward mounted and low mounted, both work nicely, but I like the more subtle profile of the Serfas MR1.

So the expedition gel is on the bike. Holy crap it’s a different feeling. It feels like sitting on a toilet. And, it’s not soft. It was actually almost shockingly hard. I only did a test ride to check for sizing. I wouldn’t call it uncomfortable yet. Awkward, yes. I was expecting something softer and cushier.

Will see how it does.

Back