My new Globe Haul ST by Specialized

RHOUSER

Region
USA
It is less than two weeks old but I am having issues with two controller error codes. They are the same code but one is the controller side (C 032 Controller, No Communication) and one is the battery side (B 032 Battery, No Communication). I love the bike so far, but I am hoping for a solution. My LBS is working with Specialized but the parts recommended for the fix are two weeks out.

The posted fix is to remove and replace the battery. This DOES work but only until the next bump or whatever that again breaks the connection (communication). I am still riding it because I have now figured out that a quick left and right snap of the handlebars (not extreme just enough to jiggle the battery) will reconnect it while I am riding. If the left/right doesn't work, a small bunny hop of the front end will also reseat it.

I saw an earlier web posting that indicated an issue with the lube and connectors inside the controller, but my LBS guru tells me that mine was built after the resolution of the lube. The LBS says
Specialized believes I will need a new battery connector (on the way under warranty). This will take a couple of weeks to get to my local shop and then he will install it under the warranty.

I am 73 years old and traded in my 2018 Carbon Turbo Levo for the Haul ST. The Levo had gotten to be too much bike for my now old guy life style. I have traded in single track for walking and biking paths. I also have done all my grocery, hardware store, and drug store errands on the Haul. I get exercise and a carless trip.

The layout of my Haul is about perfect. Perfection does cost money on this model but I have about every option that is NOT passenger hauling installed and in use. I love the cave panniers (my trash baskets), the front rack and panniers, the rear panniers, 2 bottle cages (one coffee and one water). I even bought the turbo basket with the MIK mount so it is a front or rear click in.

To date my biggest "cargo run" weighed in at 65 pounds and transported effortlessly. The low centers of gravity designed into the carry system are perfect and the center kick stand is right where I need it for loading and unloading.

I don't want to forget the throttle that was and extra. It is worth every cent. I live where there is an extensive system of walking and biking paths with numerous cross walks and traffic circles. I believe in stopping to make sure it is clear to go. This is where the throttle really adds to my safety I believe. It that first few seconds of starting into the cross walk, I simple use the throttle to get going. This allows me to better focus on whatever is happening in the intersection..

This is a long first post, but I guess I had a lot to say. I've only put about 85 miles on the bike so far, but have to say they are 85 miles NOT on my car odometer. I will have to plan some riding that is only for sport, but so far, it has all been Car Replacement stuff and is also kind of fun.

v/r r

You know you think that someone who makes this many e-bikes could get it right and ship it and not have this happen so often. I just don’t think bikes should be so unreliable. This is not rocket science.

You know you think that someone who makes this many e-bikes could get it right and ship it and not have this happen so often. I just don’t think bikes should be so unreliable. This is not rocket science.
It is not a Specialized Turbo. It is a Globe.
I think the Globe has been forced by the American division of Specialized that wanted a relatively inexpensive, 750 W hub-drive motor, throttle equipped cargo e-bike.

The Specialized Turbo division in Switzerland has recently come up with the Euro cargo e-bike by the name of Turbo Porto. The latter is a mid-drive cargo e-bike with Turbo technology. Of course almost as expensive as a Riese & Müller or Tern.

That way the market has been geographically and technologically split between two divisions of Specialized.

Back