My New Globe Haul ST (2 weeks Old now)

I *thought* that no matter what gear I was in, the faster I pedal the more the motor will assist me. But I'm finding that in actuality it seems that the higher the GEAR I'm in(no matter the assist level), the more the motor kicks in to help. Does this jibe with your experiences too?
I’m not understanding this 100%. The bike uses a torque sensor to determine when to provide assistance, but I think it’s fairly straightforward. PAS levels 1-5 give gradually more assistance, irrespective of your gearing. That’s how I remember it at least. It is a pretty balanced and elegant power delivery system.

PAS 2-3 was super powerful for almost any situation, 4-5 for really tough hills or if you really want to cruise at 28 mph (I don’t!). I remember using PAS 1-2 quite a lot.

I’m not understanding this 100%. The bike uses a torque sensor to determine when to provide assistance
Do not think a lot of torque sensing for a hub-drive. Unlike a mid-drive, where the assistance is variable and actually depending on the product of the cadence and the torque exerted by the feet (the product is called the pedaling power), hub-drives just deliver a constant assistance per the assist level. Additionally, mid-drives offer variable motor speed while hub-drives only give constant rpm per assistance level. That's why pedalling at the optimum speed is so important for hub-drives. (Think of the Assist Level as of the cruising speed selector there).

A good example is the Mahle X20 motor, a hub-drive with torque sensing used for lightweight road e-bikes. People who believed the torque sensing there was any improvement eventually felt very disappointed. In my opinion, both torque and cadence sensing for a hub-drive just activate the motor to run :)

Last edited:
Guys - I need some of your help in understanding the way my Haul's motor is set up to help me:

I *thought* that no matter what gear I was in, the faster I pedal the more the motor will assist me. But I'm finding that in actuality it seems that the higher the GEAR I'm in(no matter the assist level), the more the motor kicks in to help. Does this jibe with your experiences too?

Does anyone have a link to an article(s) explaining cadence motors and how I should be utilizing the assist for maximum BATTERY savings(while still getting as much "help" as possible/needed)?

One more question:
If I'm in an assist mode (say 1st) and I'm just coasting downhill for a mile or so - am I actively using battery power when I don't need to? Should I be changing the assist level to 0 ( a minor pain) when going downhill or is the fact that I'm NOT pedaling just the same as if I had turned down the assist to 0?

Thanks,
Lip
Last question's easy: No matter what kind of assist you have, if you're neither pedaling nor on the throttle, you're the motor's not pulling current from the battery.

The answer to your other question depends on the kind of assist the Haul employs.

A. If you have pure torque-sensing assist, power delivery is based solely on the force you apply to the pedals: More force from you = more assist from the motor. Higher assist level = more assist for a given pedal force.

True cadence (pedaling speed in RPM) isn't measured and has no effect on motor power.

B. If you have simple cadence-sensing assist, motor power is 100% when the pedals are turning and 0% when they're not. Nothing in between. Often, higher assist level = higher forward speed at which the assist cuts out. True cadence and pedal force aren't measured.

Either way, true cadence has no effect on power delivery.

C. Higher-end Specialized ebikes measure true cadence, pedal force, and other parameters and dole out assist accordingly using sophisticated proprietary algorithms. True cadence would affect assist on these bikes.

Couldn't find a clear statement of which kind of assist the Haul uses.

Last edited:
Unlike a mid-drive, where the assistance is variable and actually depending on the product of the cadence and the torque exerted by the feet (the product is called the pedaling power), hub-drives just deliver a constant assistance per the assist level.
Generalizations like this just aren't helpful. That might be true of some poorly implemented torque-sensing hub-drives, but certainly not of mine.

A. If you have pure torque-sensing assist, power delivery is based solely on the force you apply to the pedals: More force from you = more assist from the motor. Higher assist level = more assist for a given pedal force.
It does not work on hub-drives. The torque sensing on a hub-drive e-bike only activates the motor. Same, as the cadence sensor that only activates the motor as soon as the crank is spinning. The torque sensor on a hub-drive motor will activate the motor earlier than the cadence sensor could engage.
C. Higher-end Specialized ebikes measure true cadence, pedal force, and other parameters and dole out assist accordingly using sophisticated proprietary algorithms. True cadence would affect assist on these bikes.
Globe is not a Specialized Turbo, and the rules for Specialized Turbo do not apply here.
The Specialized Turbo cargo e-bike is called Porto, is only available in Europe, and has a mid-drive motor.

Complete BS. Come ride my torque-sensing hub-drive.
Some hard data please. I can prove everything with hard data for my Specialized Turbo e-bikes.
If you can ride in the fully open throttle in Assist Level 1 and show me the figures for motor power for pedalling with different torque then I could believe you.

It does not work on hub-drives. The torque sensing on a hub-drive e-bike only activates the motor. Same, as the cadence sensor that only activates the motor as soon as the crank is spinning. The torque sensor on a hub-drive motor will activate the motor earlier than the cadence sensor could engage.

Globe is not a Specialized Turbo, and the rules for Specialized Turbo do not apply here.
The Specialized Turbo cargo e-bike is called Porto, is only available in Europe, and has a mid-drive motor.

Some hard data please. I can prove everything with hard data for my Specialized Turbo e-bikes.
If you can ride in the fully open throttle in Assist Level 1 and show me the figures for motor power for pedalling with different torque then I could believe you.
Here's some hard data for you: I've ridden 2 different torque-sensing hub-drives — one for 2400 mi and the other for 50 mi, both in varied terrain. Off the throttle, where I do 99% of my riding, both dole out assist in proportion to pedal force — exactly as I described in the pure torque-sensing case. In no way is the power delivery all or nothing.

This isn't some hallucination or theory on my part. It's an in-the-saddle observation any experienced ebike rider would be qualified to make. And it falsifies your wild generalizations about torque-sensing hub-drives.

Last edited:
Here's some hard data for you: I've ridden 2 different torque-sensing hub-drives — one for 2400 mi and the other for 50 mi, both in varied terrain. Off the throttle, where I do 99% of my riding, both dole out assist in proportion to pedal force — exactly as I described in the pure torque-sensing case. In no way is the power delivery all or nothing.

This isn't some hallucination or theory on my part. It's an in-the-saddle observation any experienced ebike rider would be qualified to make. And it falsifies your wild generalizations about torque-sensing hub-drives.
I do not deny your observations. I admit torque sensing on a hub-drive might work by adjusting the amount of the motor power by the pedalling torque. That way, the cranks might work as yet another throttle, that is, the torque on the cranks could deliver more or less power to the motor up to the maximum allowed by a given assistance level. That is, if Level 1 allows 100 W max then hard mashing on the cranks could deliver 100 W of assistance at that level while light pedalling would give 50 W.

There is, however, a fundamental difference between a hub-drive and a mid-drive. While a torque-sensing hub-drive can only amplify the torque exerted by your feet, a mid-drive motor amplifies your leg power, that is cadence * torque. It means you can either mash or spin your cranks and the power to be amplified by the mid-drive motor might be the same in both cases.

Let me give you an example. Yamaha PW-X2 (one of Giant Syncdrive Pro mid-drive motors) has no cap on the power delivered by the motor, and the max motor power there is 520 W (mechanical). If you set the Assistance to 100% then you can deliver 100 W of the leg power either by light but fast pedalling or by slower but hard stomping on the pedals. In either case, the motor would deliver 100 W of mechanical assistance. That makes it very different to the hub-drive motor where the pedalling cadence is not taken into account at all.

That would explain the fact the Haul motor requires a higher gear and harder pedalling to move faster.

Last edited:
Those little tires give the sensation of power, and require the larger front chainring to compensate.

In my limited experience with the Haul so far, the motor absolutely responds to quick torque bursts from the legs.
It’s great. Best of both worlds.

Back