My New Globe Haul ST (2 weeks Old now)

Jeremy, it is a silly name (sold as a "Turbo Basket"). I am guessing because it is marketed to support the "Turbo" line of bikes they sell. It is also ugly, but with the MIK plate added to the bottom of the basket (another extra cost) it becomes another "perfect fit" for my world. I can slap it on front or rear any time I need the carry capacity.

It is a perfect bucket to toss my helmet, lock, a fast food bag, and whatever else I suddenly want to carry. A cargo bungy over the top and all is secure.
v/r r
rhouser, tell me about the Turbo Basket. I bought a Turbo Basket with a MIK base.....the self tapping screws seem to be too long, and they are missing washers. Did you find some washers to make it work or am I missing something? I just got Haul ST. This bike is really trippy. Super powerful. I got the throttle installed but it keep cutting out. I gotta talk to Specialized about that....the bike is super fun though. Big grin. Very rapid, and superb brakes. Absolutely superb factory brakes. It's as fun to stop as it is to accelerate.

My MIK came with 4 mounting bolts and 4 spacers. I didn't get any self tapping screws. Here is a YOUTUBE link that shows the mounting.
Hope this helps.
v/r r

RHouser thanks. I saw that video. The screws in that video are self-tapping into the plastic MIK plate. The plate shipped with those screws, some fender type washers, and plastic puck type things. The Turbo Basket, however, came with hex head machine thread bolts, washers, and nylon locking nuts. To utilized those bolts with the MIK plate I would have to drill holes through a suitable spot on the plate.....there are no open holes.

I ended up using the included self-tapping screws and screwing them through the holes in the basket into the MIK plate. I was an aviation maintenance person for a while so I am used to seeing screws that are of the perfect length and holes that are properly fitted and washers of appropriate width and thickness if necessary, so when I see hole sizes mismatched with bolts and non-perfect depths I don't like it. In aviation, if something doesn't seem to fit right or in an obvious way, it probably isn't correct.

I’ve had my Haul ST for less than a month and love it. Once I got my seat adjusted to the right height it’s been a pleasure to ride. One thing I’ve noticed is that I ride faster than on my Como. Certainly easier to get on and off, plus i can put my foot down at intersections without leaning the bike 45 degrees lol I am liking the MIK system. I also like how easy it is to remove and reinstall the battery.

There are some things I wish they did better.
  1. Front light is not focus. 1500 lumens is blasted in all directions. Seems like it would be better focused on the road.
  2. The bike computer buttons. Power too small, all buttons lack sufficient tactical feedback. I would have been nice that it would remember the settings you had it at when you turn off the bike.
  3. I’m not a fan of the handlebar grips, but that’s ok. That can be addressed with aftermarket products.
It’s not a big list.

Hi guys. I’m new to e-bikes and thinking seriously about buying a Haul ST as a go-around town bike, and also a longer distance “get-away for a day” bike to ride around the hills of my County.

I have test ridden the Haul 2 different times and there are just a few hiccups with it that I’m thinking Specialized may be fixing in a newer model:

1. Hard to read B&W screen
2. No suspension
3. Longer battery range

So my question to you all is; How frequently does Specialized generally update a given bike model? Should I buy now or wait X-amount of weeks/months for a new update to arrive? I realize that it’s been almost exactly a year since the Haul was introduced. Do they update every year?

Thanks for any assistance here. I’m finding the Forum really helpful.

Lippy

Do they update every year?
They usually update the firmware for all e-bikes, and the colour on the new models :) There is no reason to change the hardware of a successful e-bike.

"Slowly grind the mills of Specialized" :)

Hi guys. I’m new to e-bikes and thinking seriously about buying a Haul ST as a go-around town bike, and also a longer distance “get-away for a day” bike to ride around the hills of my County.

I have test ridden the Haul 2 different times and there are just a few hiccups with it that I’m thinking Specialized may be fixing in a newer model:

1. Hard to read B&W screen
2. No suspension
3. Longer battery range

So my question to you all is; How frequently does Specialized generally update a given bike model? Should I buy now or wait X-amount of weeks/months for a new update to arrive? I realize that it’s been almost exactly a year since the Haul was introduced. Do they update every year?

Thanks for any assistance here. I’m finding the Forum really helpful.

Lippy
Might want to look at Tern bikes. The Globe Haul is a pretty new model still.

They usually update the firmware for all e-bikes, and the colour on the new models :) There is no reason to change the hardware of a successful e-bike.

"Slowly grind the mills of Specialized" :)
Thanks for the response. So no estimate on when new colors/firmware might be released?

Might want to look at Tern bikes. The Globe Haul is a pretty new model still.
Good suggestion. There’s a lot to like with the Tern I tried. But at twice the price of the Haul. I couldn’t justify it.

I’m thinking o should also be looking at more moped style bikes since I want to cruise country roads so much.
Perhaps the Aniioki AQ177 Pro Max. Gets 100 miles on full throttle. Also has cruise control.

Thanks for the response. So no estimate on when new colors/firmware might be released?
My guess would be 2 years for a new model - and suspension is definitely not guaranteed. The new Specialized Porta is also rigid fork.

I would hope they can solve any firmware bugs ASAP. The green color was released a few months ago.

Good suggestion. There’s a lot to like with the Tern I tried. But at twice the price of the Haul. I couldn’t justify it.

I’m thinking o should also be looking at more moped style bikes since I want to cruise country roads so much.
Perhaps the Aniioki AQ177 Pro Max. Gets 100 miles on full throttle. Also has cruise control.
I came in looking for something like that, but decided against it. I'm really glad that I went with bikes that can be pedaled. (If the seat can't be adjusted - it can't really be pedaled much)

If your budget is around $2500, get the Vado 4.0 It's going to beat anything in that price range. Amazing motor, big battery, wide tires, lights, fenders, rear rack.

I came in looking for something like that, but decided against it. I'm really glad that I went with bikes that can be pedaled. (If the seat can't be adjusted - it can't really be pedaled much)

If your budget is around $2500, get the Vado 4.0 It's going to beat anything in that price range. Amazing motor, big battery, wide tires, lights, fenders, rear rack.
Will check out the Vado. Thank you!

Thank you. I didn’t realize the green was a “new” color. It’s sold out online.

Btw, that AQ177 is like 120 lbs. That pretty much eliminates it as something you'd ever want to take off road, and it would be inappropriate for mixed used trails. Once you get to a trail you start to realize its size (more of a vehicle than bicycle).

The specs (mostly battery size) are pretty good for the money but you have to keep in mind that most of the components are low quality generic.

One of their videos shows a hill climb and it did poorly. The Haul ST would have had no problem there. A bicycle like the Vado with a mid drive (near silent, btw) will help you climb any hill.

Range will be based a lot on how much you pedal. In my first year of e-biking I found that my range steadily increased as I got stronger. I was able to put more power down over time with the same effort. It was kinda cool to start off with 40 miles of range, and get all the way to 90 after 1000 miles of summer riding. One of the main reasons for that is the bike (a Gazelle) was a joy to pedal. It made me want to get out and explore every single day. A good e-bike drivetrain feels seamless.

There is a lot of engineering that goes into these big brand bikes, and they also have local support which can be indispensable. FWIW I had much better service with a local independent Specialized dealer, than through Specialized.

If you can, try to test a lot of different bikes to narrow down what you're looking for. Sometimes a repeat test is exponentially more informative.

Btw, that AQ177 is like 120 lbs. That pretty much eliminates it as something you'd ever want to take off road, and it would be inappropriate for mixed used trails. Once you get to a trail you start to realize its size (more of a vehicle than bicycle).
Thanks for the considered advice. I had winnowed down my choices to the HAul.. but I think to "bake my decision in" I want to try a moped/mini bike style to see the difference. They're actually difficult to find for test-riding here in the SF Bay Area(!). I have tested a few Gazelles and I think they're the most comfortable, balanced and responsive bikes I've ever ridden (analog or ebike).

If you want to avoid the patented specialized fall out battery but still want to shop off the bike, try a yuba combi https://yubabikes.com/compact-cargo/ , a blix packa https://blixbike.com/products/packa-electric-cargo-bike, or a momentum pakyak https://electricbikereview.com/momentum/momentum-pakyak-e-plus/. Do not climb a sierra mountain on the blix for over an hour, it wiil overheat. But short repeated grades are fine. Generic dolphin batteries that are connected flexibly. I own a yuba bodaboda and have parked my car permanently. I cross 77 hills on my 30 mile commute to summer camp. I carry up to 80 lb of groceries, ag supplies, or shopping finds.

Back