Contemplating the Specialized Vado or the Vado SL?

Personally I am hopeful that more manufactures will produce more fitness oriented lightweight ebikes. THESE are the bikes that will convert roadies to ebikes imo!
There's more and more of them with Fazua or TQ motors :)

Thanks. Your words combined with my experiences with the SL 35nm motor talked myself out of purchasing it. I come from another brand with apparently a 100 nm motor and couldn't understand why the small 35nm motor felt so feeble until I started researching motors and torque. The SL is definitely more of an exercise motor and not a "commute to work being as non-sweaty as possible and returning home with a kid and groceries on the bike"-motor. You just have to work too much yourself.

That's why several of us including @mfgrep and myself ride both Vado SL and the full power Vado for different e-bike roles. For instance, I am not freaking out to ride long distances on my Vado SL with Range Extenders. However, I was invited to see a concert of a band of friends on this Saturday in a magical place on the River Vistula, 56 km one way. I will decidedly ride the full power Vado to see and listen to that gig because I specifically don't want to be too tired on that day :)

Guess it also explains their wild 66% off sale of Como SL's. That is just a strange combination. The Como's upright casual position screams bike for the elderly and women with young children and I think many of the aforementioned people I saw purchasing it at the sale will be disappointed.

Guess it also explains their wild 66% off sale of Como SL's. That is just a strange combination. The Como's upright casual position screams bike for the elderly and women with young children and I think many of the aforementioned people I saw purchasing it at the sale will be disappointed.
While I am not a fan of Como or Como SL myself, I'd recommend you take a closer look at the sale and check what exactly models are available. Because what I can see myself (let's take Germany as the example) the heavily discounted Como SL are only available in size L and only some colours. If you look at the Vado SL 4.0, you will see the price is wildly discounted but only for a single colour and frames L or XL.

While I am not a fan of Como or Como SL myself, I'd recommend you take a closer look at the sale and check what exactly models are available. Because what I can see myself (let's take Germany as the example) the heavily discounted Como SL are only available in size L and only some colours. If you look at the Vado SL 4.0, you will see the price is wildly discounted but only for a single colour and frames L or XL.
The Specialized dealer around the corner from me has a LOT of Comos sitting on the showroom floor. I've never paid the Como much attention and so I am less versed on the varying Como versions.....but they have a LOT of them.

Last edited:
I was concerned that with the addition of a Vado 4.0 to my garage that I might begin to neglect my Vado SL 4.0. This is not the case. I continue to ride and enjoy my Vado SL for more 'purposeful' rides in order to burn calories and to obtain my heart zone minutes. If anything....having the big Vado has made me appreciate the SL even more....well....errr.... differently.

I am also really getting a kick out of the big Vado. It has really impressed me and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I might ride the SL to 'get my miles' but find myself simply 'going for a ride' after dinner now too. Last night after dinner it was beautiful outside and I told my wife that "I was going for a short ride". 14 miles and 55 minutes later I came home with a smile on my face. The big Vado is a lot of fun.

Admittedly the Vado SL does/can 'beat me up a bit' with its more rigid ride. I don't notice that the SL is overly rigid while on my rides too much....but my 50+ year old body lets me know about it later. This should improve as the warmer weather continues (fingers crossed....I'm feeling old lately). I tend to ride 12-15 miles in approximately 1 hour near daily for exercise purposes on the SL. On weekends I might ride up to approximately 30 miles if I have the time & inclination. I don't often seek longer rides but rarely they do occur. The SL is imo masterfully engineered to force the rider to 'work-out' then gifts the rider the benefit of enhanced speed & longer distance(s). I fully realize that this bike-type is a niche for a small segment of the bike buying market but man oh man I am happy that this 'fitness' style ebike exists. I'm still loving my SL.

I would imagine that the SL might completely satisfy some young/fit riders as a 'one and done do-it-all ebike'. Sure an SL could be outfitted with rack, panniers, fenders etc. and accomplish exercise, errands/commute, asphalt, gravel, and more. As a middle-aged and average (at best) rider who is reasonably fit (for my age)....the SL is not ideal for carrying groceries or for running errands. It can be done....but I'm finding it a HUGE benefit to have both of these bikes at my disposal. Weight vs. Power is a very real matchup.

The numbers unsurprisingly do not lie and I am getting a better 'workout' on the SL. The big Vado at 20lb > when compared to the SL requires some motor power at virtually all times during my rides....while my SL is often turned off and my heart rate minutes do clearly confirm. I am finding that my big Vado range is excellent and I have no range anxiety whatsoever. The SL begs for me to burn calories, push harder, and rise from the saddle to tackle hills. While during most miles I find myself in ECO (to my surprise!) with the Big Vado with short periods in Sport or Turbo only when tackling the hills. I am finding it to be very surprising how the Big Vado achieves a natural 'rider feel' that defies its own weight and I am getting some mild fitness benefits too. The Big Vado does not feel 'natural' to leave the saddle position to tackle hills. Sure you could leave the saddle and crank hills with the Big Vado....but it isn't made for this and Big Vado quickly lets you know. Part of this is Big Vado geometry certainly...but part of this is just Big Vado weight and power ....Big Vado doesn't want/need your help to tackle hills....Big Vado eats hill largely on its own.

Big Vado may not be the ultimate exercise e-bike for the relatively fit rider....but it does provide both fun and function. Sometimes you just want to 'ride around' for awhile and the Big Vado is fun to ride around comfortably. Strap a lock to the top of the rear rack and quickly throw a pannier on the bike and I can stop wherever I wish....bring anything along with me....and bring just about anything back home with me too. Last night it felt like I was just 'hauling ass' around the neighborhoods on the Big Vado while the miles just flew by.

BTW: Part of my excuse in purchasing a 2nd ebike was "my wife can come along for the ride". She has not yet sat on the Vado lol. As my grandfather used to say to me at the dinner table "ok good...more for me" lol.

Last edited:
Same here. They sell pretty well on the special sale.
Yes. In fact the two times that I have been at the shop during recent weeks I saw older couples taking their new Comos home. They are selling albeit slowly....and apparently a bit more briskly now with the sale price.
Prior to the Como discount...most of these couples would be taking an Aventon Pace 2 home with them.

Last edited:
Back