Contemplating the Specialized Vado or the Vado SL?

I would not pay much attention to the Model Year. If I'm not wrong, there were only three major versions of Vado SL:
  • Shimano drivetrain, TCU 1 (mine made at the end of 2020, marketed as MY2021)
  • SRAM drivetrain, TCU 1
  • SRAM drivetrain, TCU 2.
Will Specialized go for the SL 1.2 motor for the MY2025 iteration? Perhaps. I can only expect a way higher price. Certainly, a 320 W motor compared to the 240 W SL 1.1 would mean improvement for hilly rides but it would also put more importance on having a Range Extender.

Regarding the tyre pressure. I weigh 230 lb fully clad and I'm riding tubeless Tracer Pro 700x42 at 40 psi. Tubeless allow a way lower pressure!

I would not pay much attention to the Model Year. If I'm not wrong, there were only three major versions of Vado SL:
  • Shimano drivetrain, TCU 1 (mine made at the end of 2020, marketed as MY2021)
  • SRAM drivetrain, TCU 1
  • SRAM drivetrain, TCU 2.
Will Specialized go for the SL 1.2 motor for the MY2025 iteration? Perhaps. I can only expect a way higher price. Certainly, a 320 W motor compared to the 240 W SL 1.1 would mean improvement for hilly rides but it would also put more importance on having a Range Extender.

Regarding the tyre pressure. I weigh 230 lb fully clad and I'm riding tubeless Tracer Pro 700x42 at 40 psi. Tubeless allow a way lower pressure!
The only reason model year matters to me is battery age

i know from many years exp that lithium ion batteries degrade over time even sitting on the shelf Or showroom floor

I’m going to ask specialized for a warranty extension

i know from many years exp that lithium ion batteries degrade over time even sitting on the shelf Or showroom floor
This really depends on many unrelated factors and can be hardly predicted. The first battery of my "big" Vado was made in 2017 and only charged for the first time in 2019. For almost five years it was the best of the Vado batteries I have owned. It went dead because of a single short-circuit cell this year, 2024.

The two other batteries had less of full battery charge when bought and activated later. Both still hold strong even if degraded.

Well, can you extend the warranty?

I'm going to ask corporate.... It's not a good situation for them, since they sold it as a 2024 model when it was actually a 2022, with the bill of sale saying 2024.

Just want more warranty because of age.

I'm going to ask corporate.... It's not a good situation for them, since they sold it as a 2024 model when it was actually a 2022, with the bill of sale saying 2024.

Just want more warranty because of age.
When I bought my Vado SL 4.0 the bike was new on the showroom floor and recently placed on steep discount. The dealer did not offer a model year for the bike and frankly I did not inquire either. That bike purchased 06/23 but built 08/22 has been superb all around.

I also bought a Vado 4.0 (full power Vado) this summer on this most recent steep discount. This morning I took a look at that 'hidden sticker' that I am now aware of and it states CHINA and manufacture date 12/12/2022. This bike was NOT in stock at the dealer. When the Vado 4.0 price dropped to $2750 this spring I went to the dealer and ordered a Medium/White because my local dealer had none in stock. So this bike purchased 04/24 and shipped directly from Specialized to the dealer because of my special order was built 12/2022. This bike was advertised on the Specialized website as a "2023" model....and despite its build date I do believe that this is a "2023 model Vado 4.0".

I can't tell you not to feel duped. I too had not realized precisely which model year I was purchasing at the time of purchase. That said....these models simply haven't changed much (if at all) and both bikes (and their respective batteries) have been simply excellent. I would suggest that you not get caught up in this minutiae if you are able to do so. Go ride the heck out of that bike! I have nearly 3,000 miles between these two bikes now.....and while at/near the time of purchase I too was caught up in the 'minutiae' I have softened my OCD. I cannot remove my SL battery and during these 100 degree stretches I keep my SL in the dining room when not in use. I ride the SL most regularly so battery management is unnecessary. My full power Vado 4.0 that I have only owned for 100+/- days gets ridden less. I leave the Vado 4.0 in the garage in all weather but I keep the battery inside....being more thoughtful not to store that battery < 30% or > 80% for any length(s) of time. You paid a premium for Spesh and for their batteries...and in my experience....they are quite robust.

Last edited:
Huh? There are

I did not know that sticker was there!

I bought my 4.0 SL on 06/23 and sticker says Vietnam 08/2022.
The Vado SL was released as a 2021 model I’m May 2020. That’s when I bought mine. On my wife’s birthday which is why I remember.

in 2021/2022 the specs were modified to address the then current supply train issues. In late 22 or 23, a new version with Mastermind was released. Other than the controller and the supply chain mods, mostly the drive chain switch to SRAM, the bikes are the same as when first released.

The world has been waiting for an update with the new motor. The economic challenges the bike industry is facing have probably contributed to the new version release.

At least that’s how I recall the story.

The price also fluctuated wildly in that time. Got mine in August 2020 for UK £2,500. Within 6 months it went past £3K then after about a year I saw the SRAM equipped version peak at £3,500 - This is the SL4 unequipped version. Now it's slipped back down to £2,500 at Specialized main site in UK. Discounted further elsewhere (size dependent).

Quite a journey.

The price also fluctuated wildly in that time. Got mine in August 2020 for UK £2,500. Within 6 months it went past £3K then after about a year I saw the SRAM equipped version peak at £3,500 - This is the SL4 unequipped version. Now it's slipped back down to £2,500 at Specialized main site in UK. Discounted further elsewhere (size dependent).

Quite a journey.
It sounds as if Spesh pricing varies worldwide. In the US back on 06/23 they discounted the SL 4.0 to $2499 for a very short time. For most of the last year the discount was retracted and pricing is $3500 with seemingly low stock on most colors/sizes.

A casual onlooker could suspect that Spesh was readying to release a new model.....but it hasn't happened and my LBS has less information than I do.

It sounds as if Spesh pricing varies worldwide. In the US back on 06/23 they discounted the SL 4.0 to $2499 for a very short time. For most of the last year the discount was retracted and pricing is $3500 with seemingly low stock on most colors/sizes.

A casual onlooker could suspect that Spesh was readying to release a new model.....but it hasn't happened and my LBS has less information than I do.
It looks like vado with SL mark 2 motor should be out by now, I just think it's not because of over stock post covid, certainly outside North America. A UK bike biz journalist, more MTB focused, was saying there's still huge surplus from a lot of brands and that brands are not out of the slump just yet. The bike biz slogan is 'Survive till 25" apparently.

It looks like vado with SL mark 2 motor should be out by now, I just think it's not because of over stock post covid, certainly outside North America. A UK bike biz journalist, more MTB focused, was saying there's still huge surplus from a lot of brands and that brands are not out of the slump just yet. The bike biz slogan is 'Survive till 25" apparently.
I surely believe this is true. With apparent minimal stock among Vado SL bikes in the US....it would seem that Spesh is reluctant to re-tool for new models even among models where low(er) inventory is available.
I am thankful that I continue to be very pleased with my trusty old SL with the 1.1 motor. I know that 'more is always better' but when it comes to the SL....I feel it is 'just right' for my fitness oriented use(s).
For those that desire an SL for commuting and errands....I can understand the desire for more power (at the inevitable expense of more battery consumption). I'm happy with it as-is.

Last edited:
The manufacture date is to be expected. They have tons of these unsold, and they were not recently release. I’m aware calendar aging is a thing with batteries, but it is what it is. If your battery dies prematurely you can always argue the advertised model year and manufacture dates. Likely it will be just fine and last many, many years.

Back