What is wrong with Spandex...

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
...Lycra, Gore-tex, Softshell?

Isn't the hatred against these modern cycling-clothing fabrics expressed by the $1,000 e-bike crowd that simply cannot afford better clothes?

I started wearing cycling clothes soon after riding a thousand miles. It's also a necessity for riding my tadpole trike. I was using cargo shorts until I had some kind of beetle fly up the leg of the shorts. Elastic leg banding after that!!!! They are just so comfortable, even on a 10 mile ride. Trouble for me is my body size. I'm just not the typical cycling size and shopping is tough.

I can do my daily commute in my work pants 18 or more miles 5 days a week. but all other riding I have to wear padded shorts or I am in trouble.

i don’t think anyone really hates lycra/spandex. some people dislike the attitude of seriously kitted-out cyclists, some dislike anything ugly out in the world which some cycling getups certainly are.

personally i wear black lycra padded cycling shorts, but do not find skin tight lycra tops at all comfortable or worth whatever marginal aerodynamic gains they provide over the fitted but not skin-tight technical jerseys i wear.

but do not find skin tight lycra tops at all comfortable or worth whatever marginal aerodynamic gains they provide over the fitted but not skin-tight technical jerseys i wear.
I wear loose cycling jerseys during the warm season. (Not the roadie-style ones). The jerseys I wear are breathable; I simply cannot imagine riding in cotton anymore!

To me when I see that clothing, it's like a magical fabric I dare not believe in because:
Yesterday I'm riding : Clear, 25 MPH North wind, ~50* F
Duofold woolies, clothes, wool sweater, hoody, extra sweatshirt, jacket, vinyl gloves, fleece gloves, beanie hat and helmet ( but no fleece scarf )

To me when I see that clothing, it's like a magical fabric I dare not believe in because:
Yesterday I'm riding : Clear, 25 MPH North wind, ~50* F
Duofold woolies, clothes, wool sweater, hoody, extra sweatshirt, jacket, vinyl gloves, fleece gloves, beanie hat and helmet ( but no fleece scarf )
Hey, Mike, what I'm wearing on such weather is:
  • "Thermoactive" underpants
  • Merino wool long sleeve undershirt
  • Padded bib tights made of modern breathable, wind resistant fabric
  • Thick long socks
  • Cycling shoes
  • A Softshell jersey
  • A sleeveless windbreaker
  • A thin balaclava
  • A winter helmet
  • Goggles
  • Water-repellent, wind resistant, breathable gloves.
1651236814888.png

50-60 F (windy weather), more lightweight clothes. (Strava reminds me it was 4 C or 40 F at the beginning of the ride but it became warmer during that day). I bought the windbreaker to survive the low initial temperature!

I like wearing stretchy bike shorts because it gives people something to laugh at. Laughing people are more likely to be nice to eachother. My contribution to society.

I can also tell if people looked because they are trying to scratch their eyes out.

I fear that dressing in snooty cyclist clothing will make for more coal rolling and rudeness. I try to dress as unlike a "cyclist" as possible.

I once was driving in the California wine country on a winding highway and was stuck, for miles, behind lycra wearing snooty road bike cyclists who were riding double and did not ever pull over, even when there was a pull out. It did nothing to attract me to ever wear their style of clothing.

If I wear my bike shorts, they are covered by baggy shorts. I also like having pockets and there are none in tight lycra shorts.

I fear that dressing in snooty cyclist clothing will make for more coal rolling and rudeness.
i know this isn’t your intent, but nobody deserves to get coal-rolled (or anything else) because of what they choose to wear. i don’t consider myself a part of the subculture that rides in a pack on public roads with flashy lycra, but let’s not blame the victim!

If I wear my bike shorts, they are covered by baggy shorts. I also like having pockets and there are none in tight lycra shorts.
rapha has really nice padded shorts with mesh pockets. i don’t like jerseys with pockets so they are my go-to. super comfy, all black.

Yes, my G/F was just the other day nag........, err, suggesting that is, that I should get knee and elbow protection. Any recommendation as to ones that fit well and stay in place?

Here's my riding ensemble, Adidas mtb shoes and maxi flex gloves. Sometimes I wear elbow and knee pads, when I'm doing aggressive mountain biking.
If I were a road bike rider, I would suit up with spandex, pearl izumi shoes and everything.
Nothing wrong with suiting up for the type of riding one does.
I gave up on padded shorts as they would slide down so had to go with bibs. I wish I could find loose shirts with back pockets though.

I’m a fan of the good old LL Bean fishing shirt, until it gets super hot. Large vented pockets in the front, SPF 50, vented cape sort of back across the shoulders, treated with whatever keeps it from stinking, and dries damn near instantly. Maybe a bike jersey for fancy Sunday ridin‘ when everyone is out and about, but give me good old LLB and a pair of bib shorts the rest of the time and I’m good to go.

Rich and Foofer, maybe give aerotech designs a look if you haven’t already. All my bike pants and cycling jerseys have come from them, along with a really nice colder weather jacket. Wide range of sizes, all well made in the US, I believe.

i know this isn’t your intent, but nobody deserves to get coal-rolled (or anything else) because of what they choose to wear. i don’t consider myself a part of the subculture that rides in a pack on public roads with flashy lycra, but let’s not blame the victim!

rapha has really nice padded shorts with mesh pockets. i don’t like jerseys with pockets so they are my go-to. super comfy, all black.
It wasn't any intent. It was a fact. I live in redneck country. Nobody much ever rides bikes here. In the valley to the west, yes. Here no. Maybe a cowboy hat to go along with the lycra? Nope. Not going to do that. In hot weather, a t-shirt and shorts are fine. In cold weather layers of fleece and or a rain shell.

Plus, I hate the feel of lycra. Another reason? I am cheap. I don't want to spend money on special clothes. I've got enough. No need to look like something I'm not. I do carry extra layers out of habit. I almost packed my matches, space blanket and outdoor ten essentials yesterday.

Well, I will be riding to the store soon. Should I wear a snooty bike outfit to do that?? 😁

I’m a fan of the good old LL Bean fishing shirt, until it gets super hot. Large vented pockets in the front, SPF 50, vented cape sort of back across the shoulders, treated with whatever keeps it from stinking, and dries damn near instantly. Maybe a bike jersey for fancy Sunday ridin‘ when everyone is out and about, but give me good old LLB and a pair of bib shorts the rest of the time and I’m good to go.

Rich and Foofer, maybe give aerotech designs a look if you haven’t already. All my bike pants and cycling jerseys have come from them, along with a really nice colder weather jacket. Wide range of sizes, all well made in the US, I believe.
cool. I wear a large shirt and get used xl jerseys off of e bay but I need 7 of them in summer as I ride so much.
pants were a battle that I could do woodworking in but not wear out on my commutes. so I found some chrome pants that are water resistant. worked great in the winter but too warm about 65 or so. So for my birthday I found some dickies rugged pants that have lycra in them. so hope they will hold up they feel like it.

Yes, my G/F was just the other day nag........, err, suggesting that is, that I should get knee and elbow protection. Any recommendation as to ones that fit well and stay in place?
I wear long sleeve long pants dickies workwear. Full cut for my huge thighs. Gravel tested at 25 mph: No burn. Belt keeps pants up. Binder clip keeps right cuff out of chain. Plus people wave money at me at the grocery store because they think I'm homeless - on a $2800 bike. I tell them I have 2 homes & ride back & forth on the bike.
Red Hat has mechanic's tunics that are 100% cotton for the summer. Same mechanic's thickness. Same dark blue or grey to prevent sunburn.

Last edited:
Back