The best taillight on the market right now...

As for the tailgator I would say the blink modes are not day bright. When in “brake” mode then it is super bright and that’s when it’s truly 300 lumens.

Research continues/update:

1) https://www.amazon.com/EBUYFIRE-Rechargeable-Bicycle-Headlight-Taillight/dp/B097MLVC28/ref=sr_1_52?crid=4SPK0UCSCPS8&keywords=bicycle+front+strobe&qid=1656250294&sprefix=bicycle+front+strobe,aps,113&sr=8-52

2) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QZRP2P2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3)https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IO12ESM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#1... am not touching... have not ordered, and most likely won't.. don't need tail light (it's part of money... meaning main light is probably poor quality as it is even less worth then 28). I'm also not huge fun of 'swivel' .. that has potential sooner or later to brake - plasticky when 'in movement' has tendency to wear out rather quickly.

#2 - tried it, and it's already in package back on it's way - free returns - NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH.. Second time I was naive ...thinking 200 lumens will do.. no.. no.. no.
As MRobertson mentioned - I do test same way = put my bike in front of house, taking my son's and quickly ride at least half black away - better yet - I put my 'test light' in the full sharp sun.. only than you can tell if 'max' is enough...

#3 is coming my way - I hope that will be it.. I wanted to have bit wider style of front light than my current super powerful 1100 lumens - which is great for high speed far vision, yet for 'regular' I wanted to have some other option..plus remember: you can combine both... :)
Regarding #3, I had that 'trade off' in back of my head: brighter you go, shorter it gets... My 1100 lumens has 4 AA batteries.. so can Always easily take my fully charged Eneloops with me.. while that 600 lumens (#3) has built in batt... so I need it to least at least 3.5 hours...

Last edited:
ANY GOOD RECOMENDATIONS FOR front strobe??
I use a Knog Big Cobber front, set on eyesaver (shuts off the top 1/3 of the light) and eco blink, which is a short, sharp, intense blink so bright it not only works in daytime, it works at night without getting washed out by an adjacent steady light, which is very unusual. With daily use I only need to charge once weekly. Even with the top 1/3 of the arc shut off, I still tape over it to keep any residual from coming back at me.

I've used other blinkies similar to that one linked above and have seen nothing that has this kind of surface area.

To assess any blinkie: Set the bike up on the side of the road and walk down the street half a block. Look back at it. Thats how I discovered blinkies that are anywhere near a steady light get washed out. I had to move them to, say, the fork bridge over the tire. Somewhere - anywhere - away from the illuminated orb that is the front headlight(s). Only the Knog has overcome this issue insofar as the lights I have performed this test with.

PXL_20211203_002156960.jpg
PXL_20211118_162949514.jpg

Very nice setup! How strong (# of lumens) has this wide strap in front of bike??

Last edited:
Very nice setup! How strong (# of lumens) has this wide strap in front of bike??
According to Knog, its 470 lumens. But remember that what we are really looking at is a wide, broad swath of light, and its only an instantaneous blink. The normal light transmits over 330 degrees so it a BIG blink. The 'eyesaver' turns that into a 220-degree swath. It blinks onto the pavement below so you are quite noticeable.

the rear version that I also use is 270. I use that one without the eyesaver which gives the full 330-degree swath of blink. the two Knog Blinders on the right and left are my steady lights. I run those at 50% power (which if sull power with the center of the light not illuminated).

these are expensive lights but I have found nothing better, other than perhaps the Flare RT for its interruptive blink.

PXL_20210802_024036308_cropped.jpg

I ran the Tailgator in broad daylight today and I agree with @vismund b ... its not daylight bright. Its saving grace is its brake lighting I think, which is daybright. Its also well made and a good fit for the bike I have it on. We'll see about whether I leave it on the bike its on.

My favorite tail light is the CLiq. With the app you can customize each of the three light in both behavior as well as intensity, It has an accelerometer to enable the brake light function. It also uses the accelerometer to detect motion when parked, to enable an alarm mode that sends you a message in real time that someone is messing with your bike, with a range of about 60 feet. It comes with assorted hardware for various mounting methods. They can be purchased on ebay for around $50
s-l1600.jpg

It achieves its primary function, helping you get seen, quite well and also has added functionality that is very useful as well.
Here is a good video review of the Cliq tail light:

the rear version that I also use is 270. I use that one without the eyesaver which gives the full 330-degree swath of blink. the two Knog Blinders on the right and left are my steady lights. I run those at 50% power (which if sull power with the center of the light not illuminated).

these are expensive lights but I have found nothing better, other than perhaps the Flare RT for its interruptive blink.

View attachment 127437

I ran the Tailgator in broad daylight today and I agree with @vismund b ... its not daylight bright. Its saving grace is its brake lighting I think, which is day bright. Its also well made and a good fit for the bike I have it on. We'll see about whether I leave it on the bike its on.
Impressive! I use TailGator as an addition.. mostly for breaking light, and I like it's beacon with tail braking light at night as well.. Because is not strong enough I'm using in conjunction with NiteRider Omega 300.. It's fine this way. I did not want to spend a lot money ... All together it looks like still ~ $160 for all 3 lights (two mentioned) and one that I suppose to receive tomorrow - Cygolite DashPro 600 for strobe, and addition to my 1100, and build in 200 lumens.. should be all right. My steady 1100 has 6 modes (super low, low, mid, high, turbo, strobe - but way to fast strobe, way to powerful - dangerous actually as it may totally blind people ahead of me - I bought it few years ago as for non-biking light, yet figure out having my Tesoro would make interesting 'usage' for it - very similar to this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/ThruNite...owered-by-4-AA-Batteries-Cool-White/685299054 .. I alter mid with high mode as run in night...

My favorite tail light is the CLiq. With the app you can customize each of the three light in both behavior as well as intensity, It has an accelerometer to enable the brake light function. It also uses the accelerometer to detect motion when parked, to enable an alarm mode that sends you a message in real time that someone is messing with your bike, with a range of about 60 feet. It comes with assorted hardware for various mounting methods. They can be purchased on ebay for around $50
s-l1600.jpg

It achieves its primary function, helping you get seen, quite well and also has added functionality that is very useful as well.
Here is a good video review of the Cliq tail light:

I had one of these on my e-gravel bike for almost a year.
I liked the flash mode choices and being able to start and stop the flashing via an app, but about 20% of the time the light didn't respond to the app and I had to start/stop the flashing manually.
I thought the brake light function would be useful in the group rides I do, but no one in the group noticed I had a brake light. I ended up turning that function off. I also felt that the flashing light could have been brighter.
Unfortunately, about a month ago I realized when I arrived back home that my Clig light had fallen off the attachment clip that was clipped on to my rear rack bag.
I liked the light, but not enough to buy another.

View attachment 127437

I ran the Tailgator in broad daylight today and I agree with @vismund b ... its not daylight bright. Its saving grace is its brake lighting I think, which is daybright. Its also well made and a good fit for the bike I have it on. We'll see about whether I leave it on the bike its on.
One fundamental issue IMHO is blinding people... I bet those are made though so they diffuse light, and those are probably marker like lights for your visibility/security...As mentioned in my yesterday rewritten post I'm debating between #1, and probably in near feautre #2:

#1: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PBK6429?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details (receiving today)
#2: https://www.outboundlighting.com/products/detour
#3 is very nice one, except in night blind others: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IO12ESM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
and for 99% is going back to Amazon...

#1 is not fully STVzO (patterned with vertical cut off) - yet it has 'diffuser' that should help with blinding people... therefore I want to give it a shot as it cost 1/3 of #2 price...

#2 has very nice daylight strobes, as well as another night/park strobe - that is not to blind people yet very nicely visible... It'd be my choice if people were not blinking at me on the road. My 1100 lumens that I have I will uninstall.. Simply it is ridiculous to blind people - even if I point it down.. I'd be turbo unhappy if people were riding this way around me.. I saw some and finally realized it is not a way to go. Also big point for STVzO is Efficiency - you have 0% like loss of your intensity of light focusing it where it needs to be focused rathe than losing for lighting trees above you...

Interesting article about #2: https://bikerumor.com/outbound-detour-road-bike-head-light-brings-car-tech-to-bike-lights/

Last edited:
I add my own cutoffs on hi-lumen lights if I think they are needed. In the case of the up-to-3200 lumen Fisher Fab light its a piece of steel affixed to the light housing with Lexel. Extends forward and, thanks to the angle of focus on the light, forms a physical beam cutoff at whatever height and distance I decide via housing focus. I decided today I'm going to move my second unit onto my Bullitt, and the blinkie down to a center-fork raised mount I have.

Another benefit of my using multiple lights is I do not need high lumen numbers for a broad beam. I get broad illumination from the spread-out focus of multiple beams coupled to lower light levels. This also means I recharge less frequently - my standard is that Friday is recharge day.

My present setup on my Bullitt: Two 750 lumen Niteriders up on the bars, with a Knog Big Cobber providing the blink in between. Two 1500 lm lights down on the fork. All of the solids are kept at their lowest settings. The Niteriders are one click outboard on their bases and focused in close. Set to I think 200 lm each so a high, wide, close pattern. The two fork lights are low and focused further out. These have a beam pattern that is extremely narrow. They too are set to their lowest setting, and their 2x18650 (each) battery packs last for weeks like this.

The resulting light pattern is that of an elongated pear. Lots of light to the front and sides up close, a narrow spear on the ground straight out further past the wider portion for the fork lights. There's no way you can get a pattern like that with a single light. The only reason I am looking to replace my Niteriders with the Fisher Fab House is they are getting old and losing their battery life.

PXL_20211118_162858750.jpg

And there's more to visibility than forward or rearward lighting. It cannot be overemphasized that the apparent blinding-bright nature of these LED strips is an artifact of the camera and not reflected in reality. It was super easy to do, super cheap and brightly illuminates the frame of the bike and the ground underneath me, giving me what appears to be a sort of halo when viewed from an automobile as I travel down the street at night.

PXL_20211214_020518292.jpg
PXL_20211214_020615726.jpg

To make long story short.... I purchased this: https://www.outboundlighting.com/products/detour ... Hoping to get before next weekend, we'll see.. ups. just found message "we'll be shipping in mid of July".. oh well.... Rest send back to Amazon. I'll update people on how it performs. They have full return policy... I'm hoping to keep it - if you go to Runtime, it has interesting chart.. It'll be mostly my traffic light. I'm still going to keep (originally I thought I'd take it off) my 1100 Trunite as I thing will be fantastic additional for dark / no traffic, no people / light (when needed). Detour light bike pumps 1100-1200 true patterned and focus light that should be plenty. My 1100 is very good while biking in daylight in park - keeping in on 'lowest' just to distinguish myself between tree's shadows in sunny bright day. It's mounted high so in contrast of my native light will keep me visible to walking people... I was biking today in metro park... It's super annoying seeing so many bikers in my mirror without any light.. sometimes (like today in high contrast sunny day, and lot's of tree - shadows), I don't see them until they are very close behind me... If i listen to music, I need to be on constant alert as I can't here them approaching behind me.. To bad.. as they don't know how much day light helps ... oh well. ... and of course I keep mostly no more than 11mph in park among people, at burst max 18... There are park rangers on bikes.. don't need trouble from them.

Last edited:
I’m afraid that my lighting is a far cry from what @ m@Robertson has on his rig. That’s impressive to say the least!

I’ve been using the Bontrager helmet fitted Flare RT rear light for daytime riding for well over a year now. I wouldn’t go as far as saying it’s the best taillight on the market but so far it works for my needs. My wife also has it on her helmet. Mine’s wirelessly paired with an older Garmin 520 + and the light automatically turns on once the GPS timer is activated. The display also tells me how much battery life is remaining. I’ve actually had people pull over beside in their vehicles and question me about the light. All positive remarks about how visible it is in the daylight and its integration with my Bontrager helmet mount. We use them in tandem with Cygolite Hotshots mounted on the bike’s seatpost/seatstays,

IMG_20220701_1546131.jpg

Here's a bit of footage showing the lights in action. This road leads up to Mt Edith Cavell in Jasper National Park and there is very little room for cars let alone cyclists to share the narrow road so it was vital that we be visible at all times.

I add my own cutoffs on hi-lumen lights if I think they are needed. In the case of the up-to-3200 lumen Fisher Fab light its a piece of steel affixed to the light housing with Lexel. Extends forward and, thanks to the angle of focus on the light, forms a physical beam cutoff at whatever height and distance I decide via housing focus. I decided today I'm going to move my second unit onto my Bullitt, and the blinkie down to a center-fork raised mount I have.

Another benefit of my using multiple lights is I do not need high lumen numbers for a broad beam. I get broad illumination from the spread-out focus of multiple beams coupled to lower light levels. This also means I recharge less frequently - my standard is that Friday is recharge day.

My present setup on my Bullitt: Two 750 lumen Niteriders up on the bars, with a Knog Big Cobber providing the blink in between. Two 1500 lm lights down on the fork. All of the solids are kept at their lowest settings. The Niteriders are one click outboard on their bases and focused in close. Set to I think 200 lm each so a high, wide, close pattern. The two fork lights are low and focused further out. These have a beam pattern that is extremely narrow. They too are set to their lowest setting, and their 2x18650 (each) battery packs last for weeks like this.

The resulting light pattern is that of an elongated pear. Lots of light to the front and sides up close, a narrow spear on the ground straight out further past the wider portion for the fork lights. There's no way you can get a pattern like that with a single light. The only reason I am looking to replace my Niteriders with the Fisher Fab House is they are getting old and losing their battery life.

View attachment 127782

And there's more to visibility than forward or rearward lighting. It cannot be overemphasized that the apparent blinding-bright nature of these LED strips is an artifact of the camera and not reflected in reality. It was super easy to do, super cheap and brightly illuminates the frame of the bike and the ground underneath me, giving me what appears to be a sort of halo when viewed from an automobile as I travel down the street at night.

View attachment 127784View attachment 127783
Quite a MACHINE!

Quite a MACHINE!
Here is a somewhat cheaper alternative.
It includes 5 types of lighting, fast blink, slow blink steady etc.
Motion activation of light on a rechargeable battery, brake indication.
Motion alarm 115 DB,(which is why I bought mine), 3 horn sounds, remote dongle or attached button operation, daylight sense and good ratings on Amazon. Whew !
I have had mine over 2 years and it's still working great.

I only ride in the daytime, so I bright flashing light is important. So far, I haven't come across anything flashing rear light that's brighter than the Cygolite Hotshot 250 or 350.
I'm always looking for something brighter, but so far, for the money, I haven't found a better light.

I only ride in the daytime, so I bright flashing light is important. So far, I haven't come across anything flashing rear light that's brighter than the Cygolite Hotshot 250 or 350.
I'm always looking for something brighter, but so far, for the money, I haven't found a better light.
I ended up with: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7S2KK1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details .. in conjunction with TailGator (mostly for beacon/braking purpose indicators)... It is not as stupid as initially may seem to have more than 1 front and rear lights on bike as some of you am sure noticed conditions very a lot (time and weather) - typically also meaning you are ending up with backup if needed as often you use one of them - also more lights on bike contribute for longevity of their batteries as oppose to only having one that under any conditions you'd end up constantly using it - hence more charges/discharges.. Most stupid is riding without light or mirror.. I say it is super dangerous and making others vulnerable as well.

Lupine Rotlicht max.- what sets it aside is it’s brightness, very sturdy build , braking sensor and Very powerfull and bright red light( 4modes).
And is Made in 🇩🇪 , if it matters...

It’s 150$ , a Stromer is 5-7k , it is a good investment for everyone’s safety.
View attachment 37277View attachment 37278
I'd say 160 lumens is good for cloudy days at most, or nights at bit dimmed setups.. Nice piece of equipment but not bright enough. Sure, in the night seems super bright, plus from close distance as well.. Try 2 blocks away in the full sunny day, and it is nearly non-visible... I'd be cautious.

Back