The best taillight on the market right now...

I'm wondering what woud be entailed in hooking up an extra taillight to the brake lever power cutoff, so that it turns on when motor power is cut.

A bunch of cables...

Supernova has M99 taillight wired to the brake /motor.
And there must be other companies With similar tech. For ebikes.

This is an affordable brake light : https://www.nightprovision.com/products/proton-r60-smart-motion-sensing-bicycle-tail-light

The cabling for a M99 Taillight with Bosch system:

Attachments

• 26ABE8B9-1435-474E-AE01-B5C69F8FB631.png
    26ABE8B9-1435-474E-AE01-B5C69F8FB631.png
    734.8 KB · Views: 370
LOL that 2nd video. How to make all drivers hate cyclists in 10 easy lights.

Hello, a promised revision of my 'shopping/experience' for my tailgates:

I started with the following:
1. G Keni Smart Bike Tail Light, Brake Sensing Rear Lights, Auto On/Off, Waterproof, USB Rechargeable, Ultra Bright LED Warning Back Bicycle Flashlight, Cycling Safety Accessories: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W4PGHK7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
2. Cygolite Hypershot – 250 Lumen Bike Tail Light– 7 Night & Daytime Modes–User Adjustable Flash Speeds- Compact & Durable–IP64 Water Resistant–Secured Hard Mount–USB Rechargeable–Great for Busy Streets: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WLYKPBR?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
3. NiteRider Omega 300 Lumens USB Rechargeable Bike Tail Light: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7S2KK1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
4. Tailgator Accelerometer Controlled Bike Brake Light: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094YQFR6Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I ended up keeping mounted both together: #3, and #4.
#1 turned out to be like a toy.. TO DARK!!
#2 was promising... but lucked BRAKE LIGHT, and was bit to aggressive in night.

#3 is perfect 'strength/brightness' especially for sunny day.. For a long time I was naïvely thinking it would be to bright having 300 of lumens , and would be sufficient to have rather say ~ 200 or slightly below.. nope.. not enough.. (Note: when I say "not enogh" is due to my situation - I bike often on public roads.. I'm sure TGator would be "MORE THEN PLENTY" for park runs say up to 15mph, among other bikers/walking people") .. maybe from short distance, not from far.. Believe me I did tested it out... I'm 54 .. at least to me.
#4 is more than enough for night cycling - it does diminish illumination for night hours (properly so). The 300 braking lumens is superb! To my taste maybe it should be bit more responsive, but overall does do job for more aggressive and definitely sudden hard braking! Very huge plus for me. I will not lengthy debate here at least why I think this way...

Hoping someone will find it useful!

p.s. Some of my photos with my own wind dumpsters, lol: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/b3LecqieQ_iQanebiyR1yA.Do5SK_iWVu9nghpiejKaD0?pageIndex=0

Last edited:
This is why you want to get one with changeable brightness!! I purchased 3 off Amazon, and to see which one I want to stay with: #1 is already back in box, and being returned (all free returns for me, Amazon Prime):

G Keni Smart Bike Tail Light, Brake Sensing Rear Lights, Auto On/Off, Waterproof, USB Rechargeable, Ultra Bright LED Warning Back Bicycle Flashlight, Cycling Safety Accessories​

2. Most likely will keep it :

Cygolite Hypershot – 250 Lumen Bike Tail Light– 7 Night & Daytime Modes–User Adjustable Flash Speeds- Compact & Durable–IP64 Water Resistant–Secured Hard Mount–USB Rechargeable–Great for Busy Streets​

3. Still waiting for it - seems to be most powerful, but again, if this one WONT HAVE DIMM MODE - definitely not for me - it should simply be ILLIGAL to blind drivers in the night with 300 lumens!!!!

Number two , is DIMMABLE!! (I tried to point at myself, and got blind by 250 lumens!!, lol.. but it is SERIOUS BRIGHT ) - it could be your life when running behind you against sun driver will run over you not seeing you.. agree??? G. luck with your research! I enjoy my Cannondale Tesoro Remixte a lot! Nice weather here in Cleveland outskirts!

I admit it'd be nice to have AUTO BRAKE.. but to degree it is a gimmick for me, unless you are approaching traffic light... then maybe.. problem is, that while braking is at max 'brightness' the regular lumens may be not visible enough... just brain storming..

... will see....
I got the Cygolite Hypershot 350 and I use it on gradual increase mode because I don't want drivers to be angry at how bright it is and certainly don't want it doing any "zap" mode stuff. One shortcoming is that the holder gradually loosens up a bit. I have the Cygolite mounted sideways on the back of the rear carrier and it can be knocked off if I brush against it. So I'm careful of that. I should probably permanently mount it and then just move the bike to the charging outlet as needed. I love that Cygo.

In California, some roads are marked "Bicycles may use full lane."
Also when there is a bicycle painted in the middle of the road that repeats every few hundred yards it means the same thing. Still stupid to do; pissing off people and playing bumpercars with vehicles perhaps 20 times your weight while you use your skin for protection.

I use Knog lights. The Big Cobber set to eco blink coupled to two Blinder Squares set to 50% brightness. They are daylight visible. Riding daily 15 miles each way on a commute I need to recharge once weekly. The Blinder Squares also have an interruptive blink that gives better 'conspicuity' that a simple repetitive blink. I gave up on one light to do the job long ago. You need both steady and blinking lights to be as visible as possible day or night. Too much and you risk drivers fixating on you. In particular drunks who literally drive toward the light.

Also a big rear reflector made of prismatic (street sign) tape.

Last edited:
Yeah but the reviews on it on that page are all from 2019. If you can find its page on Amazon, its no longer available, and the reviews stopped being written in 2020. I don't think its a live product anymore and I'm skeptical the Night Provision store is really live. I used their Line 120R lights for years in 2's and 3's (two solids, one blinkie) and they are cheap and durable in terms of surviving rain and muck off the ground. But the Knogs are better even if they are more expensive and, on paper at least, not as bright.

I also have a Bontrager Flare RT and its interruptive blink is actually the one that started that recent trend in blinkies. But the Knog Blinder is half the price and has the same feature.

I don't think a brake light is essential on an ebike vs. a bike. Rear enders due to lack of brake lights are a risk if you are taking the lane and driving in traffic like a (slow) motorcycle. If thats how you ride you need a brake light. And a will. Otherwise visibility sufficient to avoid a SMIDSY without pissing people off is what you need.

Also when there is a bicycle painted in the middle of the road that repeats every few hundred yards it means the same thing. Still stupid to do; pissing off people and playing bumpercars with vehicles perhaps 20 times your weight while you use your skin for protection.

If the road is narrow, sticking to the side just encourages the car to try to squeeze by you, which is dangerous. Most drivers don't know that, in CA at least, they have to give a minimum of 3 feet clearance. Depending on the situation, sometimes it's safer to force the car to stay behind you a bit rather than run you off the road or even hit you as it tries to pass.

Research continues for front light... I must say I'm tired... but... major, major things regarding front lights... but first is first... \
I purchased (and returned):
#1: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QZRP2P2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details - not bright enough for day.. than I started to think.. if will go with brighter, why not taking advantage, and use it also as 'support' for the night , so purchased this (thinking about returning it - am getting torn about it though):
#2: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QZRP2P2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details --- I say it is very interesting light - super small, witch excellent flood.. Could be 800 though not 600... but.. it's not a major flood to me... I have much worse concern about 99.99% about ALL front flash light... why? .. take a look on this link:
... I'm Polish.. 30+ years ago, I remember them like in this link...of course, with regular bulb, much dimmer.. but.. huuuuuuge for me: with Cut Off VERTICAL..
By the way,
#3 is coming my way: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PBK6429/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think by now you figure out my point... People (some) blinks at me ...
a) i put my tail light on my handlebar - kind of high point - despite pointed bit down - it has tendency TO BLIND DRIVERS.. :((
b) it floods light all direction - upward as well :((.. adding up to blinding people..

Yet, I did not want to spend more than $60.00... :( (

... it'd be my choice if could find it off built in battery... : https://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-STVZO-E550-eBike-Headlight/dp/B07QLMXLML/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?gclid=CjwKCAjwk_WVBhBZEiwAUHQCmaM69xYmXb_Dx3WkfMJQPliEzIpw2YAgAQr_yd4wTa_MxVy1HtW1mBoCtVAQAvD_BwE&hvadid=329728675589&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9015346&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=7940372588971428884&hvtargid=kwd-619660821323&hydadcr=2397_9914010&keywords=stvzo+bike+light&qid=1656592575&sr=8-1-spons&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.d977788f-1483-4f76-90a3-786e4cdc8f10&psc=1&smid=AY1YC2BWA3QO7&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUTFNSEg3Qzk0RlFGJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDE5OTc3MkdZWEZVMVBNV0pYMCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjk4MzY5MjMwUTJQMFM3VTRDWSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

In the end.. I may end up with: https://www.outboundlighting.com/products/detour
(video for it, of course commercial... but, I think it's worth of trying):

Last edited:
If the road is narrow, sticking to the side just encourages the car to try to squeeze by you, which is dangerous. Most drivers don't know that, in CA at least, they have to give a minimum of 3 feet clearance. Depending on the situation, sometimes it's safer to force the car to stay behind you a bit rather than run you off the road or even hit you as it tries to pass.
Only under the right circumstances. Only if the road's vehicle speed is about what you are traveling. Otherwise you are looking at a risk of being run down. I took over the lane yesterday on my ride home from the store, but its a tourist-laden road where traffic was traveling at 15-18 mph. Gives drivers plenty of time to react to me. Pull that on a 35-40 mph 2-lane road and you can expect pushback from motorists. Occasionally violent pushback. Been there and done that. Smarter by far to stay off roads where this is the case and, if you can't, stay to the right and load up on the lights.

As to three feet... whether motorists know that rule or not many don't care and you have to accept that. Secure your own safety by planning your routes and avoiding risk regardless of what laws exist to punish the driver who maimed you. Been cycle-commuting on roads since the 1970's. There's a reason I still have all my working body parts.

OK, enough of me for now, to lengthy but wanted to cover some of my back and forth thinking so hoping people would get me their perspectives..
You pretty much have it from a broad brush stroke perspective. here look at this. There's also a web site with data if you can dig it up. I've visited it but didn't come across it when I looked just now. This is an easy 2.5-minute explainer though. Only 90 lumens but its enough to be demonstrably effective out to 2 km.

I have both a cygolite 250 and 350. I typically use the 250 on my bike along with a tailgator brake light (link below). When I’m pulling my trailer I will use both of the cygolites on the back of the trailer, one on each side.

I’ve been using the tailgator as a brake light. During normal operating it’s not that bright compared to the cygolites but when it detects you’ve slowed down and goes into brake mode it’s super bright. Not sure if drivers pick up on the fact that it’s a brake light or not but I like the idea and I figure it can’t hurt to have some additional lights.

Tailgator Bike Brake Light

As for blinding drivers….so many cars have ridiculously bright headlights and brake lights and blinkers and they don’t particularly care about blinding anyone so why should I?

Tailgator Bike Brake Light

As for blinding drivers….so many cars have ridiculously bright headlights and brake lights and blinkers and they don’t particularly care about blinding anyone so why should I?
That looks like its worth a try. Your link doesn't work. I googled 'tailgator light' and found an amazon link. $70 after a $10 promotion was applied.

As to blinding other drivers, I agree for the front - to a point. For the rear, there is evidence - not yet confirmed - that super bright lights cause some drivers - particularly drunk ones, to fixate on the light and drive towards it.

Speaking of the front. I'm sort of testing this light. I need to add a cutoff I think for street use, but its a great option that can be wired into a Bafang system without any special effort. They have other options you wire directly into a battery. This is one product you can believe when they say 3200 lumens although the lower settings are fine for street use.

My wife and I both have the Garmin Varia. It it a good, rechargeable light and when used in the blinking mode it becomes frantic when it senses a vehicle. The best part is that it lets us know that traffic is coming up behind us by indicating it clearly on the Garmin display. The new Bluetooth version can be used with an iPhone or some non Garmin devices. We have attached them to our saddlebags, (using the o-ring stem mounts, but using cable ties. The holes were made using a soldering gun, done outside to avoid fumes). It goes from my ebike to my road bike with a simple twist.

I have been using mine for three years and would hate to be without it. I still look over my shoulder for confirmation, but so far, it has never failed to pick up a vehicle.

Attachments

• CB4789EE-D3AF-4D53-81D6-05E340377CBB.jpeg
    CB4789EE-D3AF-4D53-81D6-05E340377CBB.jpeg
    384.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 318883B5-0E43-4FA1-BA48-52665DB20706.jpeg
    318883B5-0E43-4FA1-BA48-52665DB20706.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Interesting, but pricey... Not to criticize, I am just used to (like during car driving) frequently make a quick glimpse into both of my bike side mirrors for incoming traffic from behind :). I think it worth approach .. I hope in addition you do have your mirrors?? But I kind of see when at certain time it may be super useful. I can imagine situation when in bright sunny day cycling along high tree that would generate quite huge shadows on the road, and having behind you irresponsible driver approaching with no day lights .. it's not that difficult not to notice it, and so then there you go!!... So idea is actually is very clever.... I'd see though vibration on my watch, not just screen display if they could do that way... pricey, but hey.. life is worth much more than $400, right? :) ps: I like your 'mount'.. I'm to lazy doing that (yet for your 'radar capability' I guess it is must rather than put on side making to it obstructed in a way.. btw, I adopted my old camera bag as my bike bag... I am chip skate if something works why not, why spent.
You are right that at $200.00 each, they are fairly expensive, but less expensive than getting run over.

My wife balked at the price, so I bought hers and a dedicated Garmin display, (she thinks that my Garmin Edge 830 is too technical). Now that she has the Garmin Varia, she understands and appreciates it’s value.

Being on the road will never be safe, but I believe in hedging my bets. I had a head on motorcycle accident 14 years ago when a car came straight across my lane. I was riding at 50 mph. I suffered multiple complex spiral fractures of my left tibia and fibula, non displaced fractures of my right tibia, fibula and talus, compression fracture of my 12th Vertebrae with spinal swelling, severe concussion and internal bleeding and many soft tissue injuries. I was wearing a very good and expensive helmet, leather jacket with CE racing armor along with very good boots and gloves. The expensive helmet sacrificed itself and saved my life, the rest of that equipment lessened my injuries and even though I will never fully recover, I consider that investment in good equipment to have been money well spent. I have some limitations and had many surgeries, but for the most part, I am fairly fit again and grateful for having had the foresight to invest in and use good safety equipment.

Last edited:
Interesting, but pricey... Not to criticize, I am just used to (like during car driving) frequently make a quick glimpse into both of my bike side mirrors for incoming traffic from behind :). I think it worth approach .. I hope in addition you do have your mirrors?? But I kind of see when at certain time it may be super useful. I can imagine situation when in bright sunny day cycling along high tree that would generate quite huge shadows on the road, and having behind you irresponsible driver approaching with no day lights .. it's not that difficult not to notice it, and so then there you go!!... So idea is actually is very clever.... I'd see though vibration on my watch, not just screen display if they could do that way... pricey, but hey.. life is worth much more than $400, right? :) ps: I like your 'mount'.. I'm to lazy doing that (yet for your 'radar capability' I guess it is must rather than put on side making to it obstructed in a way.. btw, I adopted my old camera bag as my bike bag... I am chip skate if something works why not, why spent.
The Varia is very good and I use mirrors as well. However, the Varia picks up vehicles well before you see them in the mirror or hear them approaching. So you get plenty of advance warning.

One thing about the TailGator: It advertises 300 lumens, but thats three separate LEDs @ 100 lm each. Thats a creative way to describe 300 lm and not industry standard I don't think. Still, I have found the light to be very bright. Remains to be seen if its blink modes are day bright. The brake light when it engages certainly is.

I still think trying to have just a single light do everything is a mistake. I am only using a single light when I must. If I have a rack I do one solid light per rack stay and a blinkie on the center.

Back