Question on 'dropped chain'?

I just ordered the Creo chain guide to see if I can make it work on my Vado SL. For $10, I thought I'd give it a try. I'll post the results after I receive it and try fitting it.

Last edited:
I installed the Creo SL Chain Guide today on my Vado SL. The Vado SL's motor mounting bolt hole is recessed too deep for the chain guide to simply bolt on as the guide is larger than the hole and the frame doesn't have a flat surface either. I had two nylon spacers laying around and they were a perfect fit for making a standoff to mount the bracket. The space between the chainring backside and the guide is maybe 2mm at best which should stop a dropped chain from lodging down between the frame and the chainring. I might tweak the top of the guide down a tad for a closer fit but I'm going to wait a bit to see if that's necessary.

Attachments

• Spacers.jpg
    Spacers.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Motor Hole.jpg
    Motor Hole.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Installed.jpg
    Installed.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Angle View.jpg
    Angle View.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Angle View.jpg
    Angle View.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I installed the Creo SL Chain Guide today on my Vado SL. The Vado SL's motor mounting bolt hole is recessed too deep for the chain guide to simply bolt on as the guide is larger than the hole and the frame doesn't have a flat surface either. I had two nylon spacers laying around and they were a perfect fit for making a standoff to mount the bracket. The space between the chainring backside and the guide is maybe two mm at best which should stop a dropped chain from lodging down between the frame and the chainring. I might tweak the top of the guide down a tad for a closer fit but I'm going to wait a bit to see that's necessary.

View attachment 159263View attachment 159264View attachment 159265View attachment 159266View attachment 159267

Sorry for the big pics. I gotta learn how to insert smaller pics.

And back the camera up about 10-12 inches. I'm dizzy trying to look at these :(

Ha! And here I was purposely going for close-ups. Maybe I should have resized them. 😵‍💫

edit: pics resized.... 😌

Last edited:
Stronger chains than that one are available. Breaking a chain in boonies is a huge pain. Also carry a spare Quick-link and know how to use it in the field.

Stronger chains than that one are available. Breaking a chain in boonies is a huge pain. Also carry a spare Quick-link and know how to use it in the field.
Actually, that was an old one I was using just for the fitment project.

I installed the Creo SL Chain Guide today on my Vado SL. The Vado SL's motor mounting bolt hole is recessed too deep for the chain guide to simply bolt on as the guide is larger than the hole and the frame doesn't have a flat surface either. I had two nylon spacers laying around and they were a perfect fit for making a standoff to mount the bracket. The space between the chainring backside and the guide is maybe 2mm at best which should stop a dropped chain from lodging down between the frame and the chainring. I might tweak the top of the guide down a tad for a closer fit but I'm going to wait a bit to see that's necessary.

View attachment 159263View attachment 159264View attachment 159265View attachment 159266View attachment 159267

I installed the Creo SL Chain Guide today on my Vado SL. The Vado SL's motor mounting bolt hole is recessed too deep for the chain guide to simply bolt on as the guide is larger than the hole and the frame doesn't have a flat surface either. I had two nylon spacers laying around and they were a perfect fit for making a standoff to mount the bracket. The space between the chainring backside and the guide is maybe 2mm at best which should stop a dropped chain from lodging down between the frame and the chainring. I might tweak the top of the guide down a tad for a closer fit but I'm going to wait a bit to see that's necessary.

Just to be clear. The bolt you used is one that came with the guide, one you removed from the motor, or a longer one you found?

I just used the supplied fasteners. The chainguide comes with a new motor bolt that has a threaded ID and the screw that comes with it to mount the chainguide. The screw still had about 6mm of engagement with the spacers. I used blue thread locker.

Back