Product Improvement:- Feedback to Bosch.

Should we have a priority thread for Product Improvement Suggestions to Manufacturers?

• Total voters
I just received my Topstone Neo Carbon 2 with Kiox display. When I turn it on I'm greeted with "Error 550 - Please contact your bike dealer". Is this something I need to worry about? I have wiring for lights but no lights installed yet. Is it related to that?

I just received my Topstone Neo Carbon 2 with Kiox display. When I turn it on I'm greeted with "Error 550 - Please contact your bike dealer". Is this something I need to worry about? I have wiring for lights but no lights installed yet. Is it related to that?

My instinct leans towards checking that the spoke magnet is lined up correctly. I'd start there.

Some manufacturers now have representatives making helpful contributions to this forum. Bosch is one example. If forum members have our own product improvement suggestions perhaps one option is to add any suggestions to this thread with a specific subject line clearing identifying the suggestion and details in the body the post. I would not expect Bosch representatives to respond to every suggestion but forum members could give a thumbs up to the suggestion and Bosch would be expected to acknowledge those that have merit.

If you wish to expand on an individual suggestion subject perhaps start a seperate thread in the forum rather than a reply to this one so that the focus of this particular thread is a summary of individual suggestions. Refer "Low Battery Cutout for Bosch Gen4" thread where a single suggestion is now multiple pages. If you post a suggestion you may wish to start this seperate thread with the same title to generate feedback from forum members as distinct from Bosch.

If you think this is a useful idea please complete the poll and/or give this a thumbs up and Admin may arrange to keep this type of post at the top of the sub-forum.

I haven't read the thread but the only thing I would ask of Bosch is that they unleash the power of Bosch. They could make Bafang motors second rate. There's plenty of market here for powerful ebikes. Why not? You have the manufacturing power and know how in spades. The US has millions of sq miles of private land where we can ride anything we like. And those of us who want real power in ebikes will get more and more public land opened up to high watt ebiking. Just produce 750 watt bikes. Legal in many states. You don't make weak low power tools.

My instinct leans towards checking that the spoke magnet is lined up correctly. I'd start there.

The internet says it means " An improper electrical load was detected.". Can mean "I'm expecting load from lights but there is none" or "your dealer hooked up something wrong you better go have them fix it".

I haven't read the thread but the only thing I would ask of Bosch is that they unleash the power of Bosch. They could make Bafang motors second rate. There's plenty of market here for powerful ebikes. Why not? You have the manufacturing power and know how in spades. The US has millions of sq miles of private land where we can ride anything we like. And those of us who want real power in ebikes will get more and more public land opened up to high watt ebiking. Just produce 750 watt bikes. Legal in many states. You don't make weak low power tools.

I agree, 750 watt. Also get off your high horse and offer a throttle. They can always be taken off or not used. Some of us need one.

Sorry to hear you've got an issue right out of the gate. As was suggested by some others, will likely need a visit to a dealer with the Bosch Diagnostic software.

Error codes in the 500's relate to the Drive Unit. There are a handful of codes starting with 550 (Diagnostic software will access the next 3 digits to complete the 6-digit code). Most 550 codes relate to issues with lights.

Most common cause of a 550? Assembler pinched/cut/shorted a light cable (or display cable) during assembly at the factory.

May require some hands-on, but hopefully a relatively easy one for your shop to resolve.

Good instinct! Very close, but the spoke magnet/speed sensor error codes start with 503.

I'm glad you shared this though, as it is a very easy thing for anyone to check at home before making the drive to a dealer. Often times it is just a magnet that got knocked/rotated on the spoke, or somehow moved up/down the spoke out of alignment.

Regarding the roughly 3 - 3.5 km/hr discrepancy I'm seeing with my new bike and the Bosch Activeline Plus / Purion system... my bike shop had this to say...

" I'll have to call Bosch about the speed error, I'm not too sure what we can do without their assistance. Their programming is pretty well guarded against "mods". I'll get back to you next week with more info. "

William, if you read this, is there a plan of attack that you can suggest?

To summarize the problem, the Purion is reading 31 km/hr when my actual speed is 27.5 - 28 km/hr, as measured by my Wahoo speed sensor and Wahoo Roam and also compared to other riders when on group rides. The difference is consistent. This means the assistance is cutting out much sooner than it should be if I understand things correctly. I'd welcome any thoughts you might have. Thanks!

Carsonjones, I'm having the same inaccurate reading from the Purion display on my new Cannondale Carbon Neo Lefty 3, with the Bosch Gen 4 motor.

Mine isn't off as much as yours (approx. 1.5kph at 30kph), but my motor also cuts out a bit early, at 31.7kph. Consequently, my motor is cutting out at

just over 30kph, which is a pain, since the bike will easily cruise at that speed.

I plan I taking my bike back to the shop I purchased it from to see if they can play with that 5% adjustment, but after reading your last post I suspect they

won't be able to do anything. I'll probably also upgrade to a Kiox display in the near future.

Regarding the roughly 3 - 3.5 km/hr discrepancy I'm seeing with my new bike and the Bosch Activeline Plus / Purion system... my bike shop had this to say...

" I'll have to call Bosch about the speed error, I'm not too sure what we can do without their assistance. Their programming is pretty well guarded against "mods". I'll get back to you next week with more info. "

William, if you read this, is there a plan of attack that you can suggest?

To summarize the problem, the Purion is reading 31 km/hr when my actual speed is 27.5 - 28 km/hr, as measured by my Wahoo speed sensor and Wahoo Roam and also compared to other riders when on group rides. The difference is consistent. This means the assistance is cutting out much sooner than it should be if I understand things correctly. I'd welcome any thoughts you might have. Thanks!
Bosch is not permitted to change the circumference value on an OEM's product, so this will require some help from Cannondale... your shop will have to coordinate with them to check the OEM-programmed Wheel Circumference on your bike against what Cannondale has on record for that model. Assuming the issue is caused by an incorrect circumference value (majority of cases like this are) the rough order of next steps is:

- Shop performs a "roll-out" on your bike with proper tire pressure and approximate rider weight. This won't be the exact circumference number the OEM uses, but it should show what it should be close to. All OEMs use a slightly different factory method to get this value, but again... it should be close.

- Shop checks this roll-out value with Cannondale. Assuming Cannondale finds this to be "off," Cannondale sets up a Remote Diagnostic session with your shop to change this value to what it should be.

There is the 5% "cosmetic" adjustment that the shop can make, but that only alters displayed speed. The bike will still cut-out at the same speed as before, even if it reads a different number. Loose rule of thumb is that if the 5% cosmetic doesn't make it seem right, time to talk to the OEM or Bosch.

All Bosch Systems should cut-out a little before the stated max assist, but this is a smaller value assuming the speed is otherwise correct.

Bosch is not permitted to change the circumference value on an OEM's product, so this will require some help from Cannondale... your shop will have to coordinate with them to check the OEM-programmed Wheel Circumference on your bike against what Cannondale has on record for that model. Assuming the issue is caused by an incorrect circumference value (majority of cases like this are) the rough order of next steps is:

- Shop performs a "roll-out" on your bike with proper tire pressure and approximate rider weight. This won't be the exact circumference number the OEM uses, but it should show what it should be close to. All OEMs use a slightly different factory method to get this value, but again... it should be close.

- Shop checks this roll-out value with Cannondale. Assuming Cannondale finds this to be "off," Cannondale sets up a Remote Diagnostic session with your shop to change this value to what it should be.

There is the 5% "cosmetic" adjustment that the shop can make, but that only alters displayed speed. The bike will still cut-out at the same speed as before, even if it reads a different number. Loose rule of thumb is that if the 5% cosmetic doesn't make it seem right, time to talk to the OEM or Bosch.

All Bosch Systems should cut-out a little before the stated max assist, but this is a smaller value assuming the speed is otherwise correct.

You are all going to suffocate under all the red tape YOU produce.

I really really don't like the sound of this finger pointing back and forth between OEMs and Bosch. Nothing good comes out of this setup for the consumer. I too am trying to figure out a motor error I have with my brand new Cannondale bike. Cannondale says it's Bosch I need to contact, Bosch says I need to take it to a Bosch eBike Service Center which my Cannondale dealer is not. It's like getting worst of both worlds. It will be grand if the Bosch service says OEM tweaked this and set it up their way, so we are not responsible.

Last edited:
You are all going to suffocate under all the red tape YOU produce.
I can appreciate the feelings on this one. I'll try to provide some background:

There are some pretty serious regulations in place that require us to take considerable measures to ensure that consumers cannot easily modify the product to exceed maximum assist speed for a given class. I'm guessing, but not positive, that OEMs are held to the same standard, especially since they are the manufacturer of the eBike. This makes things a little more complex when it comes to sorting out speed related issues as there are rules/laws above and beyond Bosch or the OEM partner that dictate what action we are permitted to take.

Though it may not always seem this way, nothing we do is designed to make things more difficult. Our focus is safety and compliance.

I can appreciate the feelings on this one. I'll try to provide some background:

There are some pretty serious regulations in place that require us to take considerable measures to ensure that consumers cannot easily modify the product to exceed maximum assist speed for a given class. I'm guessing, but not positive, that OEMs are held to the same standard, especially since they are the manufacturer of the eBike. This makes things a little more complex when it comes to sorting out speed related issues as there are rules/laws above and beyond Bosch or the OEM partner that dictate what action we are permitted to take.

Though it may not always seem this way, nothing we do is designed to make things more difficult. Our focus is safety and compliance.

Much like the farmers who hacked their John Deere equipment, I can now understand why many ebike owners want to work around all the obstacles in the systems. While I certainly don't condone tuning bikes to exceed street legal limits, I would give serious thought to it in order to simply bring my bike up to where it should have been out of the factory. Very frustrating. Bosch should provide customers with an app that connects to their bikes which allows them to fine-tune within the limits of the laws in their country. That's my 2 cents for the day.

I really really don't like the sound of this finger pointing back and forth between OEMs and Bosch. Nothing good comes out of this setup for the consumer. I too am trying to figure out a motor error I have with my brand new Cannondale bike. Cannondale says it's Bosch I need to contact, Bosch says I need to take it to a Bosch eBike Service Center which my Cannondale dealer is not. It's like getting worst of both worlds. It will be grand if the Bosch service says OEM tweaked this and set it up their way, so we are not responsible.
It definitely feels that way sometimes. I'm sorry you are having an issue with your brand new eBike.

There is a well-defined process for addressing issues with a Bosch-equipped eBike. Sometimes... the OEM tech support hotline, the local bike shop, and the Bosch team are not all on the same page for one reason or another.

We will get your issue resolved. Even in cases of OEM responsibility, our Service Team is still trained to help you with a resolution. That being said, we need to know where to start. Taking the eBike to a Certified Bosch Dealer will allow for a Diagnostic Report, and further information that can help get the situation resolved.

According to the NorCal Bosch Tech Rep, things are pretty wild in your area right now due to the fires, and it may be tough to get to a shop. I'll help you as much as possible remotely. So as not to take up space on the "Product Improvement..." thread, please send me a PM with information about the issue you are experiencing, or start a new thread. We can go from there.

Back