Product Improvement:- Feedback to Bosch.

Should we have a priority thread for Product Improvement Suggestions to Manufacturers?

• Total voters
Well, the rest of it is brilliant but I’m just pissed about the lack of notifications. This is 2020 /2021 for Christ’s sake - you get notifications from your phone on every bloody thing!

Just purchased and had my bike shop install the new Nyon V2 and there’s no notifications available on it! How is this right?

You know texting and driving is as dangerous and drinking and driving.
In a similar vein, notifications can be very distracting if you are riding in traffic.

Text and call notifications on the bike screen can be a safety concern as well. It can be distracting and potentially dangerous to the rider and other riders.
When I am on a bike ride, I want to enjoy the ride, not look at any texts. Texts can wait. I think addiction to cell phone screen has far deeper psychological effects.

With over 25,000 miles on multiple bikes and several close calls, I am extremely cautious using my phone when I am riding. I personally don't want to see any notifications on the Nyon when I am riding.
Some cars have Apple car play and Android auto that minimizes any new notifications and instead reads them aloud.
I wish the Nyon had some more integration features with Strava or Garmin for gathering data but not having notifications pop on my screen is a good thing for me.

Well, maybe that’s great for you but it’s not for me! I need to be aware of who’s messaged me and not particularly the content. That I can stop and read if I want to. As for the phone, I have never used that when I’m riding.
On a device that costs £300, it would have been nice to have been given a choice as notifications are such a basic requirement these days and appear on so many devices.

Well, maybe that’s great for you but it’s not for me! I need to be aware of who’s messaged me and not particularly the content. That I can stop and read if I want to. As for the phone, I have never used that when I’m riding.
On a device that costs £300, it would have been nice to have been given a choice as notifications are such a basic requirement these days and appear on so many devices.

I have a Trek Alant 7s. I have a an issue with with chain skip. I am pedaling in in 8th or 9th gear , the top 2 speeds, and the bike will occaisionaly pedal a 1/4, 1/2 or more of air and then jump back on the gears. At 1250 miles I had the gear cluster and chain replaced. It continued to jump. The old gears were worn shiny on the sides so it made sense that it skipped. After the replacement of the parts it contInues to skip. It is different where it was skipping more on 8 but now it skips more on 9. It skipped within 3-5 miles from replacing and got slightly worse in 5 or 6 rides or about almost 500 miles I took it in today to get a last night’s flat fixed and spoke with my tech. He said since I rode in high power too much it may be my cadence is too slow.

This brings a few questions to mind. Since I don’t have any way to measure my cadence with the cheap display and know when I should shift I came up with the question of what speed is the lower end of acceptable cadence (he suggested 70 rpm) is equal to what speed. So at 20 mph what is my cadence in 7th, 8th and 9th gear? Same for 25 mph or any other speed. My belief is it should not jump with brand new parts and just pedal slower. Especially with no pressure on the pedal but pedaling along like clown pedaling but at slower speeds.

What other defective/worn parts could cause chain skip beside the chain and gear cluster? I don’t know what else to even look at? Am I the only 7s with this issue?

multiple gear shifts at once sound prettybad to me also but I am not very knowledgeable but I have ridden bikes over 50 years and bad noises are bad noises....

he replaced the tube and I left him the bike to ride on his own time for a longer ride to get a better feel for the bike.

I do shift to lower gears when taking off, don’t stand and ride hardly at all. I never get air, I walk up all curbs and only ride the front wheel down and walk the back wheel. Tires hold 55 lbs which I keep,near 50at most times. I ride very smooth rail to trail 75 -100 mile trips so I am not doing much stop and go and try to stay above 20 and would do 25 the whole time if I had the strength. I avg just over 20 on a faster or really a stronger rear hub (both say 28 mph top speed).

i just don’t think it should shkip, to me something else is wrong and hasn't been found yet

thanks

Last edited:
This is most likely a drive train adjustment issue. If chain/cassette are new, I'd also confirm overall derailleur adjustment, including B-tension. Another common cause of wonky, seemingly phantom issues can be a bent or misaligned derailleur hanger. Outside of that, excessive cross-chaining can sometimes cause issues, but I wouldn't think that would be an issue in this case, unless something is out of spec with your chain ring, etc.

Another thing to check is condition of your cable/housing. If there is corrosion, and things are not sliding smoothly, a shift into the higher gears might be slightly incomplete due to cable friction holding the derailleur back ever so slightly.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for replying William!

it is a new cable inside the original insulation the week before the gear cluster and chain were replaced. The bike was bought this summer, lives indoors when not in use, friendly Ga weather, ridden for exercise, pleasure only on days it gets above 50 and no rain projecte.

ps all repairs out of pocket no warranty applied and not fixed ! Still love my tech but....

This is most likely a drive train adjustment issue. If chain/cassette are new, I'd also confirm overall derailleur adjustment, including B-tension. Another common cause of wonky, seemingly phantom issues can be a bent or misaligned derailleur hanger. Outside of that, excessive cross-chaining can sometimes cause issues, but I wouldn't think that would be an issue in this case, unless something is out of spec with your chain ring, etc.

Another thing to check is condition of your cable/housing. If there is corrosion, and things are not sliding smoothly, a shift into the higher gears might be slightly incomplete due to cable friction holding the derailleur back ever so slightly.

I hope this helps!
What is the chance the chainring of Opimax e-bike has been damaged (too) and requires replacement?

Thanks for replying William!

it is a new cable inside the original insulation the week before the gear cluster and chain were replaced. The bike was bought this summer, lives indoors when not in use, friendly Ga weather, ridden for exercise, pleasure only on days it gets above 50 and no rain projecte.

ps all repairs out of pocket no warranty applied and not fixed ! Still love my tech but....
That sounds like a hassle, sorry you are having to deal with it.

Not sure the exact condition of your setup, but used housing can be just as harmful as used cable when it comes to shifting performance. The inner wires that line the walls begin to protrude at the ends, and can cause excessive drag.

Might be a good idea to speak with a different tech, or a different shop for a second opinion? Unless the drive unit is damaged or in the wrong place, drive units (from any brand) won't really have an effect on shifting or drive train performance. In essence, the drive unit replaces the bottom bracket found on a tradition frame. In both eBikes and traditional bikes, what happens up front won't really affect what happens out back unless something up front is in the wrong place (not likely in your case).

This sounds like bent hangar or some other drive train issue.

Hmmm...I think I’ve had one skip in the 1000+ miles with my Allant+7. And I ride/shift on a lot of hills. I’d take it to another shop, if you have another Trek shop close by.

Thanks to all for the opinions, happy to show him this thread to see what he thinks , pls feel free to add anything , thx again,

WTF Bosch. Just purchased and had my bike shop install the new Nyon V2 and there’s no notifications available on it! How is this right? My £100 Garmin plays all the notifications my iPhone sends it but NOT my £300 Bosch. Unacceptable. If I had know this was lacking, I would have not bought it.
I was thinking about getting the updated nyon but other than nicer aesthetics I saw no evidence that it would be superior in functionality compared to my 1500$ iPhone.

Thanks to all for the opinions, happy to show him this thread to see what he thinks , pls feel free to add anything , thx again,
For a little more context, your same exact issue is common with non-eBikes too. The culprit is usually one of the overlooked, more subtle issues I listed above.

Let us know what you find out!

Are you connecting with Kiox, or?
No I have the smartphone hub. I guess some people like to have the extra info the kiox and nyon provide like heart rate , calories burned etc but for me the essentials is enough like current speed, battery percentage , and power level.

I’ve never been a competitive cyclist and I don’t use my ebike to maintain a specific body weight. I’ve been the same weight since my early twenties. The recreation & convenience of an ebike is quite enough for me. If I manage to burn a few calories in the process then all the better.

I like to take in the scenery and day dream wherever I go with my ebike so I wouldn’t want to get bogged down in all sorts of numbers like cadence, calories or the amount of watts I can pedal together with the motor.

I like to get all kind of statistics from my e-bike, Akrotiri. Provided one of my future e-bikes might be Bosch-driven, I ask questions. One of most important features for me is smartphone connectivity, and thank you very much for having answered my question!

I like to get all kind of statistics from my e-bike, Akrotiri. Provided one of my future e-bikes might be Bosch-driven, I ask questions. One of most important features for me is smartphone connectivity, and thank you very much for having answered my question!
My pleasure Stefan!

After all I’ve asked many questions on these forums and you always were there to answer and help me along the way.

Folllowing up on my posts about about my Allant 7s skipping....1st not at all happy with the shop! After they worked hard to find answers they called and said it was ready yesterday. I was not able to pick up till today. My usual tech Steve was not in As he said when he called yesterday. The repair was replacing the cassette again. It was worn after 500 miles.

The issue from my side was when I picked up last time for the same issue the 1st time it skipped after they replaced the chain and cassette was it skipped on the 1st ride 2 miles of riding. I rode the bike maybe 6 times and it got worse., still rideable just not fixed correctly. Today I was told they were only going to charge me for the cassette, 33 and change. I was pretty upset since i paid retail for the bike continue to pay every time they service it (why buy local?) but once where I received my free 1 month service and that was the 1st time it skipped! I don’t believe they made it skip (maybe they did??) because the part was very worn but if it wasn’t fixed the last time it seems the cassette was defective.

I was told the reason was I only rode in the last 2 gears and at 64 years old how to drive a manual shift car. I learned to drive on 62 Falcon 3 in the tree. My response was I knew how to shift but most of my time is in the upper gears on the gorgeous Silver Comet Trail, 3 miles from my house, a relaively flat rails to trails with few stops on my 75 to 103 mile rides, why would I shift so much or use lower gears for take off when I am going along on a “highway” style trail? Same reason it is on hi power most of the time. “don’t you slow down when near other people.” The answer was yes, usually twice as few other people are out there during retired hours, no reason for excessive shifts. The trail is awesome , one of the main reasons retiring here near Atlanta.

I was told these are regular bike parts and if I needed service again I was to bring in ebike parts and they would replace it but otherwise implied to what I heard I was done with service. On the way out I muttered to sales dept “ I was told to not come back!” I have not tested the bike , not sure if is really fixed yet!

I intend to follow up with emails to to Trek and owner/president of the chain and if I can get a bike form another shop , probably a Vado I will be selling this and the 2 additional batteries which includes the piggyback attachment sharing the external batteries. Way to go make a customer happy about buying 6grand of a bike!

Opimax... With mid-drive motor you need to shift, and you are not expected to ride in Turbo for the whole time... It is not a car. The drivetrain in any mid-drive motor e-bike is governed by the same rules.

I understand your part that you understand manual transmission but I -- since I only drive manual gearbox cars -- can tell you that you start a manual transmission car from the 1st not the 5th gear :D (Typical way of starting a mid-drive motor e-bike from cold start is having the bike gears downshifted at least 3 gears down - that's why costly Shimano shifters allow you doing that with a single deep depressing the lever).

Back