Latest News from Riese & Müller

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Ii seems that my bike has now flown to Australia rather than swam and has arrived at LBS and I can collect this week. Bike is CX Rohloff version but my general usage is such i planned to fit Moto-X tyres and keep mtb tyres for occassional off road adventures. It seems Moto-X are hard to come by in Australia at the moment but delivery from UKBS 3-4 working days so bike should be ok to collect with Moto -X tyres fitted. Looking forward to my first ride.
Happy New year from downunder. Stephen
Can you post some pics when you have it please?
I'm considering this or the Supercharger Rolhoff

@Daffyh Here is a photo of my 2 week old Delite Vario GX with Fox upgrade. The Delite is a great all-rounder and yesterday I was riding blue singletrack so it can handle a little bit of the rough. The Fox upgrade on the suspension is sublime!

Attachments

• 018A50AD-962A-4731-8074-9E22A1311DC5.jpeg
    018A50AD-962A-4731-8074-9E22A1311DC5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 609
Last edited:
Jay …
That's a beautiful ebike! I have to admit to drooling over a Superdelite (with the pannier rails attached to the mudguards) which I saw a few days ago.

Please share your thoughts concerning the Enviolo gearing.

Consider the following: you're cruising along a flat stretch in just the right 'gear' but have to change down for some reason, maybe to cross an intersection or go through a dip or over a hump. With conventional gearing – derailleur or hub – it's easy to return to the exact same gear – change down then change up the same number. With the CVT can you return to the same ratio immediately or do you have to 'fine tune' again?
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
@David Berry I find I am fine tuning quite a lot, but rather intuitively and in very small increments. I have the smartphone hub and have cadence as my main display. I tend to be adjusting the gears to maintain my cadence which can be done to such a fine degree with the Enviolo hub. At a stop or on a known hill a ‘standard’ system will put you in the exact gear you expect, the Enviolo won’t. However, when you are after that gear between two gears the Enviolo has you covered.

Under load shifting in the middle range is easy, but at either extremes there is a lot of resistance on the “throttle” style changer.

Wearing gloves is important as the rubber on the gear change grips well, and with all the micro shifting going on, rubbing and soreness will occur.

The graphic uphill/downhill graphic is good for beginners, but a little gimmicky as once you have ridden a few times it is intuitive which way you turn the gear changer and to what degree.

I am wondering now if I should have got the Superdelite instead...I agree they are a tasty looking piece of machinery!

Can you post some pics when you have it please?
I'm considering this or the Supercharger Rolhoff
Hi Daffyh,

I collected my E14 CX Delite from LBS yesterday. I have only cycled about 60 km so far (battery now down to 50%) but certainly the suspension, eshift and IGH make cycling a breeze. The Rohloff gear ratios seem to work well with me mostly cycling above assistance in 11/12 gear on the flat. 14th good for the downhill runs. Changing between Eco and Tour for the few hills on the route made life easy. Even the steeper hills on the route could be taken at 24km-25km hour in the right combination of gears and assist. I would only expect to get into the lower gears for off road excursions.

I can see the dropper post on the CX version being a good addition but something I need to get used to activating when I am planning to stop.

I was originally thinking of a Supercharger before the 2020 Delite was released and would strongly recommend you consider having the full suspension option, even if only for day to day commuting. Very glad the Gen4 Delite was released before I committed to purchase.

Not sure who in the forum suggested to get the best you can afford, you won't regret it but seems like wise advice. If you are buying an R&M bike you are buying for the long term so give it plenty of thought and then enjoy the experience.

Some photos attached. LBS has refitted rear brake light to guard as I will only use rear rack occasionally when on a multi day ride.

Cheers Stephen

@Daffyh Here is a photo of my 2 week old Delite Vario GX with Fox upgrade. The Delite is a great all-rounder and yesterday I was riding blue singletrack so it can handle a little bit of the rough. The Fox upgrade on the suspension is sublime!
Thanks for that my current ebike is a hybrid, nothing wrong with it at all but since i have a neurological disorder i imagine my legs will only get weaker as my age progresses.
3 years ago before i had these health issues i would have laughed at some of the money these ebikes cost, but when its your only form of transportation (i no longer drive or ride motorcycles) i can live with splashing out a little.

Hi Daffyh,

I collected my E14 CX Delite from LBS yesterday. I have only cycled about 60 km so far (battery now down to 50%) but certainly the suspension, eshift and IGH make cycling a breeze. The Rohloff gear ratios seem to work well with me mostly cycling above assistance in 11/12 gear on the flat. 14th good for the downhill runs. Changing between Eco and Tour for the few hills on the route made life easy. Even the steeper hills on the route could be taken at 24km-25km hour in the right combination of gears and assist. I would only expect to get into the lower gears for off road excursions.

I can see the dropper post on the CX version being a good addition but something I need to get used to activating when I am planning to stop.

I was originally thinking of a Supercharger before the 2020 Delite was released and would strongly recommend you consider having the full suspension option, even if only for day to day commuting. Very glad the Gen4 Delite was released before I committed to purchase.

Not sure who in the forum suggested to get the best you can afford, you won't regret it but seems like wise advice. If you are buying an R&M bike you are buying for the long term so give it plenty of thought and then enjoy the experience.

Some photos attached. LBS has refitted rear brake light to guard as I will only use rear rack occasionally when on a multi day ride.

View attachment 44251View attachment 44252View attachment 44253View attachment 44254

Cheers Stephen
Thats an awesome reply and thank you, my only concern is i always have a small bike bag attached to my current rack and a set of panniers that i use occasionally when going shopping. This Delite is in the running for sure but i will be test riding many before deciding. I've got possibly 2 lump sum payments coming my way this year so i want to buy quality and longevity, even if its outdated 12 months later.

Surprised at all the excitement around this product. The best thing about it is it saves money and reduces weight for people who dont care about range. Happy with my choice to buy the SC2. If only it would get here already!

I think they made the switch to the Gen4 motors on the 2020’s which is a nice upgrade with the 75nm of torque assist.

Last edited:
I saw one yesterday in a powder blue. Like the “storm blue” better.
It's surprising that you have seen two Charger 3s, bikes that R&M just released on February 1. Where was this?

I had one on order when my dealer (ElectriCitybikes) looked into getting me a Charger with Rohloff. He checked and found it possible to put in an order before the release date. Color selected but not shown.

A couple of weeks later I tried full suspension via Homage and was so impressed that I changed the order to a Delite. It seemed to me much like the Charger but with full suspension, a feature that I found "delitefull" in the test ride.

It's surprising that you have seen two Charger 3s, bikes that R&M just released on February 1. Where was this?

I had one on order when my dealer (ElectriCitybikes) looked into getting me a Charger with Rohloff. He checked and found it possible to put in an order before the release date. Color selected but not shown.

A couple of weeks later I tried full suspension via Homage and was so impressed that I changed the order to a Delite. It seemed to me much like the Charger but with full suspension, a feature that I found "delitefull" in the test ride.
I was at Propel in Brooklyn last Thursday where I saw the Caribbean blue (it’s like a powder sky blue). Team member Nahim mentioned that he believed it was the first in the US, at least last week.

The redder color (forgot the name) is the same as the Load’s. The storm blue is what you see in @Chris Nolte ’s video.

if you ordered at Electricity you must be a neighbor. I’m in MD.

if you ordered at Electricity you must be a neighbor. I’m in MD.
I live in Bethesda. If you are interested in riding with a group of casual riders in the whole metropolitan area, I can recommend two non-organizations that ride on selected week-days. Both include several e-bikers. We go mostly on trails but sometimes divert on quiet roadways or city streets as appropriate. E-mail me ( [email protected] ) for more information.

First poster notice :)
I’m considering buying one of the new Charger 3 HS but I‘d like to know how their mileage compares to the non HS versions of the same model. The RM website mentions up to 90 Km I assume for the non HS motors.

The retailer also told me that the charger 3 doesn’t offer a dual Battery option.
Well, another option could be the Stromer ST1X...

Any opinion?

First poster notice :)
I’m considering buying one of the new Charger 3 HS but I‘d like to know how their mileage compares to the non HS versions of the same model. The RM website mentions up to 90 Km I assume for the non HS motors.

The retailer also told me that the charger 3 doesn’t offer a dual Battery option.
Well, another option could be the Stromer ST1X...

Any opinion?
The Supercharger is a dual battery bike that you do not have to use with both batteries.
For Charger3 range, put "Performance Line Speed" in as motor & Powertube 500 into this:

Question - may be i am overthinking this - and I am still new here so may be there is a better way to word this. Is the welding job on the R&M bikes really this poor ? I have seen multiple pictures on their website, plus historical stuff.. cant figure out why they cant double weld and sand down the frame to make it smoother, nicer looking. I mean its literally $50 - $60 extra per frame to do that.

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 7.50.25 AM.png

As a comparison notice the super smooth welds on the Koga (below) - honestly, the charm in the bike is to make it functional, but also kinda beautiful. R&M is so close but that (poor welding) to me personally, is just lazy.

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 10.16.09 AM.png

Grinding down welding on aluminum to make it look smooth, in fact removes material and makes the weld weaker. Those lumpy, layered welds are the correct way to weld aluminum for optimal strength. It creates a buttress at the joint, making it way stronger. It is a direct trade off. For me, the functional call made by R&M is the right one. Leaving all the weld in place, keeping it strong should be paramount, rather then weakening it to make it pretty. Go to any local welding shop and they will confirm this.

Question - may be i am overthinking this - and I am still new here so may be there is a better way to word this. Is the welding job on the R&M bikes really this poor ? I have seen multiple pictures on their website, plus historical stuff.. cant figure out why they cant double weld and sand down the frame to make it smoother, nicer looking. I mean its literally $50 - $60 extra per frame to do that.

View attachment 45351

As a comparison notice the super smooth welds on the Koga (below) - honestly, the charm in the bike is to make it functional, but also kinda beautiful. R&M is so close but that (poor welding) to me personally, is just lazy.

View attachment 45352
R&M bike frames are hand welded in Taiwan or Portugal depending on the model. The weld is sanded down to a specific strength tolerance to R&M's specs. As Alaskan stated a sanded down weld ground down to a near smooth joint is not as strong. Seeing each weld bead to me is art IMHO.

Back