New Riese and Müller Delite Review

Muso

Region
USA
City
Hollywood
March, 2023: So, I fiiiinally received the bike I ordered back in September! A Riese und Müller Delite Rohloff HS, GX, with the Fox Float suspension. And a front rack and bag. I opted for the slow boat shipping because I figured I spent enough on the Delite as it was, and I didn’t want to drop another $400 on air shipping. I already have an excellent e-bike so it wouldn’t kill me to wait for a bit.
This is gonna be long, and it’s Friday, so freshen up your drink and light a cigar.

Brand Spanking New:
IMG_6847.jpeg

I have a Priority Current with a Shimano Nexus-5 hub shifter, and riding it for well over a year really helped me figure out what I needed in an e-bike. The Current is a great bike - lots of torque and power for getting up every hill around here. I live near the Hollywood Hills in Los Angeles, California, USA, and we have some seriously steep streets around here. We actually have steeper streets, and more of them, than San Francisco, oddly enough. San Francisco has hills; we have mountains. Anyway, that was my original goal in an e-bike - to be able to get up the steep streets around here, and up around Griffith Park.

The Current solved that. It can get me and my fat 220-pound / 100Kg butt up every hill that I’m brave enough or crazy enough to ride back down, and we have some steep ones. Once I could ride up in the Hills, I found out that the streets up there are really badly maintained. They’’re terrible - cracked and raised concrete, potholes, lousy asphalt repairs. Plus, there are some dirt roads and trails in Griffith Park that I discovered, and wanted to ride.

The Current could handle all that, but my body couldn’t. Hey, I’m pushing 60, and man, my joints would ache after a good ride over those bad roads. So, I had solved the problem of hills, but once I got up those hills and had ridden around, there was revealed another problem: My sorry old arse couldn’t take the beating dished out by those streets! lol

Typical Hollywood Hills Street:
IMG_6895.jpeg

So, I need a suspension. The 18-month experience of riding a non-suspension bike gave me a clear idea of what I fully needed. If I’m going in, the experience gave me the confidence to go ALL in.

I tried a number of bikes with suspension forks, but I needed something for my arse, too. Seatpost suspensions (thudbuster, etc.) were helpful, but no help if I’m standing on the pedals. Most full suspension bikes are mountain bikes, and although I do go off road, those are dirt roads and fire trails not hardcore mountain biking. I wanted something I could commute on, too. That means fenders and racks and lights and road-style geometry.

More Bad Road:
IMG_6909.jpeg

All the upper-range bikes from major brands are really good. What set the Delite apart for me was, oddly enough, the rear rack. I don’t think any other bike has a sprung rear rack. At least, not any that are available in the US. They may have a rear suspension, but not a suspended rear rack. My lumbar and cervical (neck) bones appreciate a rear suspension, but my camera and computer really appreciate that sprung rear carrier rack. And less unsprung weight improves handling. I’m 6’ 4” / 193cm in bare feet, so I opted for the largest frame. With the dropper post, this is a big bike for a big guy. It fits me great.

Also, the rack has MIK built in, so I don’t need to attach an adaptor plate to it. I love MIK bags and baskets. No dicking around clipping them on and messing with velcro straps to secure them. No bungies and zip-ties. Just click on a pair of panniers - it takes literally a second or two - and they ain’t going anywhere. I can take the bike out of my apartment with the bags off to make it easier, and then just click them on once it’s outside. Click the bags off, and click a basket on, or a trunk bag. Fast, simple, and totally solid. The Delite rear rack has that built in and I love it.

Fully Loaded:
IMG_6962.jpeg

So, now that I’ve ridden my new überbike over various ugly terrain for over 100 miles / 161 KM, here are my impressions.

Biggest benefit: The suspension. Fox doesn’t call it “Float” for nothing. The worst roads that used to jar my bones right to the joints just float right under me. I can still tell it’s bad road, but it doesn’t hurt anymore. I ride more, faster, and for longer, and I don’t feel it afterwards. This is freakin’ huge. I love riding this bike!

Motor: The Bosch system is so refined. The Priority Current motor system has lots of torque, and it’s great, but Bosch is just so smooth and nicely integrated. The power comes on smoothly as I press the pedal, cuts out right away when I take pressure off, changes assist level nearly instantly as I press the switch, and all the parts and sensors work so well together. On paper, the Bosch claims 85 N/M torque vs. the Current’s claim of 140 N/M, but by the seat of the pants, I’d say they are about the same. The Bosch system works better as a complete system of sensors, controller, and motor. It feels more like riding a bicycle, but with a massive boost of power. Bottom Line: I can ride up steep hills faster in the same equivalent gear.

The Rohloff: I ditched derailleurs back in the ‘90s. I hated them. Bloody fiddly things always getting the chain bound up between cogs and crap caught in them. Granted, this was before such modern luxuries as indexed shifting and the like. Back then, you just had to learn how far to move the lever to get a good shift and commit it to muscle memory. There were no notches and indexed electric gizmos. Kids these days have it easy lol.

Anyway, that’s to say I’ve been riding hub shifters for 30 years, and a few more if you count the 3-speed I had as a kid, so I like them and I’m familiar with how to use them. This is my first Rohloff, and I can say it is the Undisputed King of hub shifters. This thing is bloody solid. The gear range is insane. I can roll this 60+ pound bike up one of the steepest hills around here in 1st gear just using Eco Mode, or go 30mph in 14th at a pleasantly relaxed sub-80 rpm cadence. No squishiness, and firm precise shifts. Bloody brilliant.

I rode it all the way up here... from all the way down there!
IMG_6911.jpeg

But the pushbutton actuator could be improved. It’s not very ergonomic. It’s a bit of a bitch to get my thumb over there from riding position. After a few rides, I rotated it downward a lot which helped, but I’d rather see the electronic shifting done via a rotary selector like the cable shifter, but with electronic contacts so that it wouldn’t need the cables. It would be nice to just grab and twist 2, 3, or 5 gears or whatever instead of pushing a binary up/down button. It can be done. I know it can be done. Rohloff could do it. I’d like to see it done. But I’m getting used to working it as it is, and I’m getting pretty good with it. It’s not nearly a deal-breaker though, just something to get used to and something I hope Rohloff designs at some point.

Seat: Not as padded as the one on my Current, but surprisingly, it is more comfortable. Seat/arse interface is a personal thing, but I was expecting I’d have to try a few seats out and I don’t think I’ll have to after all. I’m happy with it.

Lights: I got the optional front rack and bag (I did say I was going ALL in), and the light came mounted on the handlebars. The bag kind of blocks the light, but the dealer included a kit to move the light to the front of the rack. I’m sure they would have installed it for me, but I wanted to try the whole bike as delivered. After one night ride I went ahead and put it on the front rack myself. I actually prefer it there not only because it’s not blocked by the bag anymore, but because it’s more stable mounted on the frame rather than the bars. The beam is wide enough to make that work. The front and rear lights are BRIGHT, and I love having a brake light when I’m riding on the streets. The high-beam button lights up blue when I have the high beam on, which is a nice touch.

The light is much better mounted on the front rack.
IMG_6913.jpeg

Tires: I got the GX option for the Fox suspension upgrade, not for the knobby (or knobbly as they say in the UK I think lol) tires. Tyres? Anyway, rather than swap off the brand-new knobblies for the regular GT tires I thought I’d just ride these and see how I liked them. They are quieter on the street than I expected. Definitely better in the dirt and the muddy conditions that Southern California has been having lately than street tires. I’ll hang onto these! When they wear out I’ll reconsider the whole matter, but I didn’t expect to like them as much as I do.

The Johnny Watts tires are handy here:
IMG_6898.jpeg

And here:
IMG_7032.jpeg

Battery/Range: On my inaugural ride, I went 16 miles in moderate to hilly terrain and used 30% of the battery. On my most recent 28 miles, all up and down hills with some level ground in the middle, I used 67%. Being a new bike, I was laying pretty heavy on Turbo just to check it out. I figure that gives me a safe estimate of around 40 miles of range. Which is enough, and about what I expected. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary), of course. If I need more, I’ll buy another battery and throw it in one of my panniers. With the massive range of the Rohloff, I can ride this bike without any assist on the flats, just not very fast lol. So unless I have to ride up some steep hills to get home, I’m good. Even then, with the assist on Eco and in 1st gear on the Rohloff, I can ride up some pretty steep hills without using much battery power.

My daily ride is only 5-10 miles for exercise, and it’s about 13 miles to my office, where I can recharge the battery. A recreational weekend ride may take me 30-40 miles on mildly hilly terrain. So that’s why I didn’t get the Superdelite. Why have the extra weight of the Super when I will rarely use two batteries? Range anxiety is a thing, my friends. Watch out for it. That one time where I might have to ride full speed, into a headwind, uphill both ways, for 50 miles… may never happen lol. Riding an e-bike for a year before making this rather hefty purchase informed my decision, by knowing how much battery really I use for how much I really ride. I recommend considering how you actually ride before opting for the heavier bike. I ride often with the assist in Eco, or off - I don’t really need much assist on flat terrain unless I’m riding on busy streets with cars and *need* to go fast. On side streets I’m not using Turbo, just Eco, or nothing. Even going up moderate hills, I shift down, and Sport is plenty of assist. OTOH, if I had medical conditions or other reasons where I would need to use the high levels of power assist often, then the SuperDelite would be the right choice. Again, YMMV. But the range of the Delite is plenty for me, and I like the lighter bike with the lower center of gravity.

The Lock: It comes with an Abus Bordo lock, keyed the same as the battery lock. I use Abus locks for everything - padlocks and bike locks. They’re good. I was pleased to see that the Delite uses the X-Plus keyway, which is the same as my existing Abus D-locks, meaning that they *could* be keyed the same. But frankly, the Bordo doesn’t really do it for me. It pretty much combines the worst things about D-Locks with the worst things about chain locks, and I’m not sure it’s as strong as either. If I didn’t already have good locks, the included Bordo would be useful. But the Bordo costs around $140, so I’d rather it was an option that I could leave off because I already have good locks. Or better yet, charge a few bucks to give me the option to specify a key code when I order my bike - then the bike battery would arrive keyed the same as my existing Abus D-Locks. Verdict: Meh.

The Bordo is good but I like the D-Locks better, along with a supplementary noose chain.
IMG_6987.jpeg

The Local Bike Shop: I bought it from LA Fly Rides, who used to be just a few blocks away from me on Hollywood Boulevard. I did my test rides there, which was great because I could test the bikes in my own neighborhood where I usually ride. In between placing my order and the bike being delivered, they moved to Calabasas, which is about 30-40 minutes west out the 101 freeway. Still plenty close enough since I have a good bike rack (QuikR Mach 2 - highly recommended!) on my trusty Subaru estate (station wagon). Anyway, they were excellent. They called me as soon as it came in, and spent maybe an hour or so going over the bike with me and getting it fitted right, and the suspension adjusted. Their head mechanic had spent some time in The Netherlands, and I go there often, so we had a good chat the whole time about how wonderful it is there for bike riders lol. But yeah, he set it up to my basic height and weight parameters before I got there, and I rode it around, he did some tweaks, I rode it more, he tweaked it again, rinse and repeat, and got everything as I liked it. I popped it onto the rack and took her home. All in all, great service. And they’re not too far away for future maintenance and service needs. BTW, the sea shipping took 8 weeks, so it arrived much sooner than the expected 12 weeks.

Fits nicely on QuikR Stuff rack.
IMG_7033.jpeg

I Almost Forgot About The Nyon Display: I am a computer nerd and a reader of manuals. So setting this up was easy. YMMV. It has GPS Nav, which I actually find useful, in contrast to others’ experience. Having it find my way home after getting lost among the winding little streets of the Hollywood Hills without having to dig for my cell phone is convenient, and it works. All the data compilations, like what percent of the time I used each assist level, altitude gain, hill grade, etc., aren’t really necessary to having fun on a bike, but they are useful and I like having them. I paid the few extra bucks for the lock feature. It pretty much bricks the bike unless my specific Nyon is attached to it. No motor, no gear shifting. I think it’s a good idea. Now I just have to decide whether to park it in 1st gear, where I can run faster than the thief can pedal it, or 14th so it’s harder to zip off with it. lol.

Front Rack and Bag: I recommend it! Cripes, I’m deep into the pockets for this bloody thing already, let’s just do it all, eh? But seriously, if I’m looking to make a trip that includes a stop at the Bicycle Café where I’ll need to lock this bloody expensive bastard up, I can pop a lock or two in there easily. The weight of a couple of locks is barely noticeable up on the front frame-mounted rack, inside the nice bag. My cell phone and parking lot clicker go in the two little zip pockets. There’s still room for other stuff. Anything else I may need like work stuff, cameras, rain jacket, etc. goes in my Basil double panniers, easily MIK-Clicked onto the rear rear rack. The Delite is a Beast of Burden. And it still goes fast. And Smooooooth.

I don't always ride hills!
IMG_7008 (1).jpeg

Little Conveniences: The rear view mirror folds away like on a car, making it easier to wrangle the bike through the door into my place. I love the brake lights, the high beam front light, and the high beam button lighting up. The Fox shocks are adjustable from full cushiness on bad terrain to almost-hard-tail on smooth roads. The dropper seat post is really handy at red lights and for getting on and off the bike. There is a horn, and it’s loud, for riding on busy streets with cars. I still put my bike bell on it tho. I like my bike bell. And my Cateye blinking rear light. My bell and my Cateye light have followed me through several bikes and a couple of decades, so onto my new Panzerfahrrad they go lol.

The Price: Every review points out how much R&M bikes cost, so I won’t bother other than to say there are bikes from other makers that cost more and don’t meet all my needs (Trek makes a pretty awesome eMTB for $3K more than my Delite) and there are others that cost less… and also don’t meet my needs. But I can say that this bike solved all my problems and I think it’s worth it.

Overall: I freakin’ love this bike. No “buyer’s remorse” whatsoever. I’m riding more often and for longer distances than on my previous e-bike, and certainly more than on my previous push bike - and thus having more fun! - because it’s just more comfortable in every way. It feels solid and surprisingly nimble for a heavier bicycle, and it’s just a blast to ride. I can go pretty much everywhere with this bike. I’ve ridden it on good roads, bad roads, wet roads, dirt trails, muddy trails, grassy parks, steep hills, and deep gravel next to train tracks… everywhere I’d want to go, and it has performed brilliantly.

Is it my Dream Bike? OK, no. My Dream Bike is a plain old beat-up Dutch omafiets (granny bike), in the Netherlands, riding from town to town on beautiful fietspads (protected bike paths) lol. Unfortunately, I live in Los Angeles, and for riding on crappy roads, with crappy drivers, having to hop up onto crappy sidewalks and back down over curbs, and having to go up into the Hills to get away from the crappy drivers (and dealing with even crappier roads up there), this bike is IT. I am pleased!

Ducks: Just Because!
IMG_7056.jpeg

Last edited:
March, 2023: So, I fiiiinally received the bike I ordered back in September! A Riese und Müller Delite Rohloff HS, GX, with the Fox Float suspension. And a front rack and bag. I opted for the slow boat shipping because I figured I spent enough on the Delite as it was, and I didn’t want to drop another $400 on air shipping. I already have an excellent e-bike so it wouldn’t kill me to wait for a bit.
This is gonna be long, and it’s Friday, so freshen up your drink and light a cigar...
Muso,
Congratulations on such a fine acquisition, and thank you for the extensive write up. I saw a few Riese and Mueller bikes in Italy this summer biking around Lake Como, they are engineered beautifully. Glad to hear about your experience with the Rohloff hub, and IGH hubs in general. I have the Rohloff A12 (w/twist shifter) on order, arriving in two weeks. I'm looking forward to making the switch from derailleur/cogs.
Enjoy your new ride!
~Tom

Last edited:
Thanks for this in depth review! This bike is on my “one day…” list, so I’m tagging for future reference.

This is gonna be long, and it’s Friday, so freshen up your drink and light a cigar.

Brand Spanking New:
View attachment 151226

I have a Priority Current with a Shimano Nexus-5 hub shifter, and riding it for well over a year really helped me figure out what I needed in an e-bike. The Current is a great bike - lots of torque and power for getting up every hill around here. I live near the Hollywood Hills in Los Angeles, California, USA, and we have some seriously steep streets around here. We actually have steeper streets, and more of them, than San Francisco, oddly enough. San Francisco has hills; we have mountains. Anyway, that was my original goal in an e-bike - to be able to get up the steep streets around here, and up around Griffith Park.

The Current solved that. It can get me and my fat 220-pound / 100Kg butt up every hill that I’m brave enough or crazy enough to ride back down, and we have some steep ones. Once I could ride up in the Hills, I found out that the streets up there are really badly maintained. They’’re terrible - cracked and raised concrete, potholes, lousy asphalt repairs. Plus, there are some dirt roads and trails in Griffith Park that I discovered, and wanted to ride.

The Current could handle all that, but my body couldn’t. Hey, I’m pushing 60, and man, my joints would ache after a good ride over those bad roads. So, I had solved the problem of hills, but once I got up those hills and had ridden around, there was revealed another problem: My sorry old arse couldn’t take the beating dished out by those streets! lol

Typical Hollywood Hills Street:
View attachment 151230

So, I need a suspension. The 18-month experience of riding a non-suspension bike gave me a clear idea of what I fully needed. If I’m going in, the experience gave me the confidence to go ALL in.

I tried a number of bikes with suspension forks, but I needed something for my arse, too. Seatpost suspensions (thudbuster, etc.) were helpful, but no help if I’m standing on the pedals. Most full suspension bikes are mountain bikes, and although I do go off road, those are dirt roads and fire trails not hardcore mountain biking. I wanted something I could commute on, too. That means fenders and racks and lights and road-style geometry.

More Bad Road:
View attachment 151233

All the upper-range bikes from major brands are really good. What set the Delite apart for me was, oddly enough, the rear rack. I don’t think any other bike has a sprung rear rack. At least, not any that are available in the US. They may have a rear suspension, but not a suspended rear rack. My lumbar and cervical (neck) bones appreciate a rear suspension, but my camera and computer really appreciate that sprung rear carrier rack. And less unsprung weight improves handling. I’m 6’ 4” / 193cm in bare feet, so I opted for the largest frame. With the dropper post, this is a big bike for a big guy. It fits me great.

Also, the rack has MIK built in, so I don’t need to attach an adaptor plate to it. I love MIK bags and baskets. No dicking around clipping them on and messing with velcro straps to secure them. No bungies and zip-ties. Just click on a pair of panniers - it takes literally a second or two - and they ain’t going anywhere. I can take the bike out of my apartment with the bags off to make it easier, and then just click them on once it’s outside. Click the bags off, and click a basket on, or a trunk bag. Fast, simple, and totally solid. The Delite rear rack has that built in and I love it.

Fully Loaded:
View attachment 151234

So, now that I’ve ridden my new überbike over various ugly terrain for over 100 miles / 161 KM, here are my impressions.

Biggest benefit: The suspension. Fox doesn’t call it “Float” for nothing. The worst roads that used to jar my bones right to the joints just float right under me. I can still tell it’s bad road, but it doesn’t hurt anymore. I ride more, faster, and for longer, and I don’t feel it afterwards. This is freakin’ huge. I love riding this bike!

Motor: The Bosch system is so refined. The Priority Current motor system has lots of torque, and it’s great, but Bosch is just so smooth and nicely integrated. The power comes on smoothly as I press the pedal, cuts out right away when I take pressure off, changes assist level nearly instantly as I press the switch, and all the parts and sensors work so well together. On paper, the Bosch claims 85 N/M torque vs. the Current’s claim of 140 N/M, but by the seat of the pants, I’d say they are about the same. The Bosch system works better as a complete system of sensors, controller, and motor. It feels more like riding a bicycle, but with a massive boost of power. Bottom Line: I can ride up steep hills faster in the same equivalent gear.

The Rohloff: I ditched derailleurs back in the ‘90s. I hated them. Bloody fiddly things always getting the chain bound up between cogs and crap caught in them. Granted, this was before such modern luxuries as indexed shifting and the like. Back then, you just had to learn how far to move the lever to get a good shift and commit it to muscle memory. There were no notches and indexed electric gizmos. Kids these days have it easy lol.

Anyway, that’s to say I’ve been riding hub shifters for 30 years, and a few more if you count the 3-speed I had as a kid, so I like them and I’m familiar with how to use them. This is my first Rohloff, and I can say it is the Undisputed King of hub shifters. This thing is bloody solid. The gear range is insane. I can roll this 60+ pound bike up one of the steepest hills around here in 1st gear just using Eco Mode, or go 30mph in 14th at a pleasantly relaxed sub-80 rpm cadence. No squishiness, and firm precise shifts. Bloody brilliant.

I rode it all the way up here... from all the way down there!
View attachment 151236

But the pushbutton actuator could be improved. It’s not very ergonomic. It’s a bit of a bitch to get my thumb over there from riding position. After a few rides, I rotated it downward a lot which helped, but I’d rather see the electronic shifting done via a rotary selector like the cable shifter, but with electronic contacts so that it wouldn’t need the cables. It would be nice to just grab and twist 2, 3, or 5 gears or whatever instead of pushing a binary up/down button. It can be done. I know it can be done. Rohloff could do it. I’d like to see it done. But I’m getting used to working it as it is, and I’m getting pretty good with it. It’s not nearly a deal-breaker though, just something to get used to and something I hope Rohloff designs at some point.

Seat: Not as padded as the one on my Current, but surprisingly, it is more comfortable. Seat/arse interface is a personal thing, but I was expecting I’d have to try a few seats out and I don’t think I’ll have to after all. I’m happy with it.

Lights: I got the optional front rack and bag (I did say I was going ALL in), and the light came mounted on the handlebars. The bag kind of blocks the light, but the dealer included a kit to move the light to the front of the rack. I’m sure they would have installed it for me, but I wanted to try the whole bike as delivered. After one night ride I went ahead and put it on the front rack myself. I actually prefer it there not only because it’s not blocked by the bag anymore, but because it’s more stable mounted on the frame rather than the bars. The beam is wide enough to make that work. The front and rear lights are BRIGHT, and I love having a brake light when I’m riding on the streets. The high-beam button lights up blue when I have the high beam on, which is a nice touch.

The light is much better mounted on the front rack.
View attachment 151227

Tires: I got the GX option for the Fox suspension upgrade, not for the knobby (or knobbly as they say in the UK I think lol) tires. Tyres? Anyway, rather than swap off the brand-new knobblies for the regular GT tires I thought I’d just ride these and see how I liked them. They are quieter on the street than I expected. Definitely better in the dirt and the muddy conditions that Southern California has been having lately than street tires. I’ll hang onto these! When they wear out I’ll reconsider the whole matter, but I didn’t expect to like them as much as I do.

The Johnny Watts tires are handy here:
View attachment 151231

And here:
View attachment 151232

Battery/Range: On my inaugural ride, I went 16 miles in moderate to hilly terrain and used 30% of the battery. On my most recent 28 miles, all up and down hills with some level ground in the middle, I used 67%. Being a new bike, I was laying pretty heavy on Turbo just to check it out. I figure that gives me a safe estimate of around 40 miles of range. Which is enough, and about what I expected. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary), of course. If I need more, I’ll buy another battery and throw it in one of my panniers. With the massive range of the Rohloff, I can ride this bike without any assist on the flats, just not very fast lol. So unless I have to ride up some steep hills to get home, I’m good. Even then, with the assist on Eco and in 1st gear on the Rohloff, I can ride up some pretty steep hills without using much battery power.

My daily ride is only 5-10 miles for exercise, and it’s about 13 miles to my office, where I can recharge the battery. A recreational weekend ride may take me 30-40 miles on mildly hilly terrain. So that’s why I didn’t get the Superdelite. Why have the extra weight of the Super when I will rarely use two batteries? Range anxiety is a thing, my friends. Watch out for it. That one time where I might have to ride full speed, into a headwind, uphill both ways, for 50 miles… may never happen lol. Riding an e-bike for a year before making this rather hefty purchase informed my decision, by knowing how much battery really I use for how much I really ride. I recommend considering how you actually ride before opting for the heavier bike. I ride often with the assist in Eco, or off - I don’t really need much assist on flat terrain unless I’m riding on busy streets with cars and *need* to go fast. On side streets I’m not using Turbo, just Eco, or nothing. Even going up moderate hills, I shift down, and Sport is plenty of assist. OTOH, if I had medical conditions or other reasons where I would need to use the high levels of power assist often, then the SuperDelite would be the right choice. Again, YMMV. But the range of the Delite is plenty for me, and I like the lighter bike with the lower center of gravity.

The Lock: It comes with an Abus Bordo lock, keyed the same as the battery lock. I use Abus locks for everything - padlocks and bike locks. They’re good. I was pleased to see that the Delite uses the X-Plus keyway, which is the same as my existing Abus D-locks, meaning that they *could* be keyed the same. But frankly, the Bordo doesn’t really do it for me. It pretty much combines the worst things about D-Locks with the worst things about chain locks, and I’m not sure it’s as strong as either. If I didn’t already have good locks, the included Bordo would be useful. But the Bordo costs around $140, so I’d rather it was an option that I could leave off because I already have good locks. Or better yet, charge a few bucks to give me the option to specify a key code when I order my bike - then the bike battery would arrive keyed the same as my existing Abus D-Locks. Verdict: Meh.

The Bordo is good but I like the D-Locks better, along with a supplementary noose chain.
View attachment 151229

The Local Bike Shop: I bought it from LA Fly Rides, who used to be just a few blocks away from me on Hollywood Boulevard. I did my test rides there, which was great because I could test the bikes in my own neighborhood where I usually ride. In between placing my order and the bike being delivered, they moved to Calabasas, which is about 30-40 minutes west out the 101 freeway. Still plenty close enough since I have a good bike rack (QuikR Mach 2 - highly recommended!) on my trusty Subaru estate (station wagon). Anyway, they were excellent. They called me as soon as it came in, and spent maybe an hour or so going over the bike with me and getting it fitted right, and the suspension adjusted. Their head mechanic had spent some time in The Netherlands, and I go there often, so we had a good chat the whole time about how wonderful it is there for bike riders lol. But yeah, he set it up to my basic height and weight parameters before I got there, and I rode it around, he did some tweaks, I rode it more, he tweaked it again, rinse and repeat, and got everything as I liked it. I popped it onto the rack and took her home. All in all, great service. And they’re not too far away for future maintenance and service needs. BTW, the sea shipping took 8 weeks, so it arrived much sooner than the expected 12 weeks.

Fits nicely on QuikR Stuff rack.
View attachment 151238

I Almost Forgot About The Nyon Display: I am a computer nerd and a reader of manuals. So setting this up was easy. YMMV. It has GPS Nav, which I actually find useful, in contrast to others’ experience. Having it find my way home after getting lost among the winding little streets of the Hollywood Hills without having to dig for my cell phone is convenient, and it works. All the data compilations, like what percent of the time I used each assist level, altitude gain, hill grade, etc., aren’t really necessary to having fun on a bike, but they are useful and I like having them. I paid the few extra bucks for the lock feature. It pretty much bricks the bike unless my specific Nyon is attached to it. No motor, no gear shifting. I think it’s a good idea. Now I just have to decide whether to park it in 1st gear, where I can run faster than the thief can pedal it, or 14th so it’s harder to zip off with it. lol.

Front Rack and Bag: I recommend it! Cripes, I’m deep into the pockets for this bloody thing already, let’s just do it all, eh? But seriously, if I’m looking to make a trip that includes a stop at the Bicycle Café where I’ll need to lock this bloody expensive bastard up, I can pop a lock or two in there easily. The weight of a couple of locks is barely noticeable up on the front frame-mounted rack, inside the nice bag. My cell phone and parking lot clicker go in the two little zip pockets. There’s still room for other stuff. Anything else I may need like work stuff, cameras, rain jacket, etc. goes in my Basil double panniers, easily MIK-Clicked onto the rear rear rack. The Delite is a Beast of Burden. And it still goes fast. And Smooooooth.

I don't always ride hills!
View attachment 151240

Little Conveniences: The rear view mirror folds away like on a car, making it easier to wrangle the bike through the door into my place. I love the brake lights, the high beam front light, and the high beam button lighting up. The Fox shocks are adjustable from full cushiness on bad terrain to almost-hard-tail on smooth roads. The dropper seat post is really handy at red lights and for getting on and off the bike. There is a horn, and it’s loud, for riding on busy streets with cars. I still put my bike bell on it tho. I like my bike bell. And my Cateye blinking rear light. My bell and my Cateye light have followed me through several bikes and a couple of decades, so onto my new Panzerfahrrad they go lol.

The Price: Every review points out how much R&M bikes cost, so I won’t bother other than to say there are bikes from other makers that cost more and don’t meet all my needs (Trek makes a pretty awesome eMTB for $3K more than my Delite) and there are others that cost less… and also don’t meet my needs. But I can say that this bike solved all my problems and I think it’s worth it.

Overall: I freakin’ love this bike. No “buyer’s remorse” whatsoever. I’m riding more often and for longer distances than on my previous e-bike, and certainly more than on my previous push bike - and thus having more fun! - because it’s just more comfortable in every way. It feels solid and surprisingly nimble for a heavier bicycle, and it’s just a blast to ride. I can go pretty much everywhere with this bike. I’ve ridden it on good roads, bad roads, wet roads, dirt trails, muddy trails, grassy parks, steep hills, and deep gravel next to train tracks… everywhere I’d want to go, and it has performed brilliantly.

Is it my Dream Bike? OK, no. My Dream Bike is a plain old beat-up Dutch omafiets (granny bike), in the Netherlands, riding from town to town on beautiful fietspads (protected bike paths) lol. Unfortunately, I live in Los Angeles, and for riding on crappy roads, with crappy drivers, having to hop up onto crappy sidewalks and back down over curbs, and having to go up into the Hills to get away from the crappy drivers (and dealing with even crappier roads up there), this bike is IT. I am pleased!

View attachment 151239
That is a handsome machine. If I rode more often, I would consider an R and M. They are so classy looking...

Also, the rack has MIK built in, so I don’t need to attach an adaptor plate to it. I love MIK bags and baskets.

Me too. What pannier do you have there in that picture?

Agree. This will be my first suspension and hub bike, but unless you need to shave every ounce and are a racer I don’t know why people still use deraillures. Well they are cheaper too, and a friend likes having something to fiddle with.

But the pushbutton actuator could be improved. It’s not very ergonomic.

There’s the new Smart system which appears to have a more ergonomically designed buttons. I have some beefs with that though, the’re favoring LED displays over screen and I prefer screen (though maybe they’ll develop a Nyon for it at some point). I’m also not fond of the wireless. Great for OEM’s, but it means we need to swap batteries in the remotes which is a pain AFAIK, and BT isn’t the most reliable (seems like they should have used ZigBee but that’s just me.
A crazy lifelong (nearly) cyclist friend says she never gets flats on the Johhny Watts

I recommend considering how you actually ride before opting for the heavier bike.

If you want to lighten up the Superdelite simply pull one of the batteries - not having mine I don’t know that works for sure but I’d be shocked if it didn’t. That same friend above is now an avowed e-cyclist and strongly recommended two batteries if possible. But as you say I don’t see it as an issue, just buy a second one (at $1k! :( ) if you want to go for a longer ride. Small advantage to two batteries is that the Bosch system flip-flops between them ever 5% of battery usage. This will primarily help keep the batteries cool, which is nothing to scoff at for air-cooled batteries. Also I’m a EV guy so know range anxiety well Biggest problem here is that It’s no equivalent to a car, where fast charging is everywhere. With a bike and aircool batteries it’s slow charging, so if you do longer rides getting a charge is a long wait.

For me the dual battery consideration is round trip and how much you carry. I’ve got ’dreamplans’ of going out to the coast and back from my house In an long day ride, with photography gear, lunch and extras. Dual seems to be necessary with that distance and weight and saves having to keep an extra knocking about elsewhere. My second dream bike will probably be an e-MTB where one battery is more than enough.

But they‘re all good, not a lot of dual battery bikes out there it seems anyhow.

Oh it does come with a mirror - I wasn’t sure about that. I’m glad it comes with a horn, dinger bells are best for peds (I’ll add a bell for them) but a horn for cars is a good option.

Yeah and those Trek are chain only unfortunately. Hubs seems like the go-to option for mtb, don’t know why it’s not more popular here in the states.

Is it my Dream Bike?

I’m calling it my dream Adventure bike and all rounder, we’ll see when I get it but hard to imagine I wont’ be as happy as you are.

Great writeup, and congratulations!

Last edited:
Me too. What pannier do you have there in that picture?
The Basil Miles double pannier, like this:

I used it on my last bike (but needed to put an adaptor plate on the bike's rack) and I really like it.

Agree. This will be my first suspension and hub bike, but unless you need to shave every ounce and are a racer I don’t know why people still use deraillures. Well they are cheaper too, and a friend likes having something to fiddle with.

Right, derailleurs are great when you really need them, especially the modern ones (unlike the ones I used to deal with lol). But not really in this application!

There’s the new Smart system which appears to have a more ergonomically designed buttons. I have some beefs with that though, the’re favoring LED displays over screen and I prefer screen (though maybe they’ll develop a Nyon for it at some point). I’m also not fond of the wireless. Great for OEM’s, but it means we need to swap batteries in the remotes which is a pain AFAIK, and BT isn’t the most reliable (seems like they should have used ZigBee but that’s just me.

A crazy lifelong (nearly) cyclist friend says she never gets flats on the Johhny Watts

Yeah, and I'm not sure the Smart system integrates with the Rohloff e-shift. Rotating the clicker downward did help immensely - I guess I have long thumbs and that works a lot better. I'm knocking on wood regarding getting flats - if I do, I'm pretty much walking back lol.

If you want to lighten up the Superdelite simply pull one of the batteries - not having mine I don’t know that works for sure but I’d be shocked if it didn’t. That same friend above is now an avowed e-cyclist and strongly recommended two batteries if possible. But as you say I don’t see it as an issue, just buy a second one (at $1k! :( ) if you want to go for a longer ride. Small advantage to two batteries is that the Bosch system flip-flops between them ever 5% of battery usage. This will primarily help keep the batteries cool, which is nothing to scoff at for air-cooled batteries. Also I’m a EV guy so know range anxiety well Biggest problem here is that It’s no equivalent to a car, where fast charging is everywhere. With a bike and aircool batteries it’s slow charging, so if you do longer rides getting a charge is a long wait.

Yes, the $1K for the battery is pretty much equivalent to the extra for the SuperDelite. The way the Bosch system on the Super manages them is excellent.

For me the dual battery consideration is round trip and how much you carry. I’ve got ’dreamplans’ of going out to the coast and back from my house In an long day ride, with photography gear, lunch and extras. Dual seems to be necessary with that distance and weight and saves having to keep an extra knocking about elsewhere. My second dream bike will probably be an e-MTB where one battery is more than enough.
Yes, I'd say the Super would be the way to go in that scenario!

Oh it does come with a mirror - I wasn’t sure about that. I’m glad it comes with a horn, dinger bells are best for peds (I’ll add a bell for them) but a horn for cars is a good option.
Yeah and those Trek are chain only unfortunately. Hubs seems like the go-to option for mtb, don’t know why it’s not more popular here in the states.
What's funny is I mostly only use my bell for a doggie who lives along one of the routes I ride. I give it a ring when I turn onto his street so he's fully ready to run along his fence and bark at me by the time I get to his house lol. It's probably fairly boring for him around there, and I think it makes his day haha.

I’m calling it my dream Adventure bike and all rounder, we’ll see when I get it but hard to imagine I wont’ be as happy as you are.

Great writeup, and congratulations!

Thanks very much! And I have a feeling you'll be pretty happy with it!

-James

Speaking of YMMV... Today's leisurely ride along the LA River from Glendale down to Lincoln Heights and back, with a side trip to the Metro railyard and a stop at a nice coffee shop in Frogtown, was 12.5 miles and used 11% of the battery, yielding an approximate range of 113 miles / 182Km. Mostly flat, some small up and down for bridges, and loaded with about 25 pounds / 11+ Kg (in addition to my own fat 100Kg arse, of course haha). Mostly going between Off and Eco (with a Turbo run up to 28/45 just for fun!). So, "what's the range" is not an easy question to answer definitively lol.
IMG_7184.jpeg

IMG_7174.jpeg

Speaking of YMMV... Today's leisurely ride along the LA River from Glendale down to Lincoln Heights and back, with a side trip to the Metro railyard and a stop at a nice coffee shop in Frogtown, was 12.5 miles and used 11% of the battery, yielding an approximate range of 113 miles / 182Km. Mostly flat, some small up and down for bridges, and loaded with about 25 pounds / 11+ Kg (in addition to my own fat 100Kg arse, of course haha). Mostly going between Off and Eco (with a Turbo run up to 28/45 just for fun!). So, "what's the range" is not an easy question to answer definitively lol.
View attachment 151464

View attachment 151465
I’m interested that you ride at times in no boost at all. I’ve only done that when touring and needing to squeeze every bit of battery out of it.
I’ve largely defaulted to riding in Sport mode most of the time around town.
Clocking up a lot more km during the last month after losing my job so have more time on my hands to ride.

I’m interested that you ride at times in no boost at all. I’ve only done that when touring and needing to squeeze every bit of battery out of it.
I’ve largely defaulted to riding in Sport mode most of the time around town.
Clocking up a lot more km during the last month after losing my job so have more time on my hands to ride.
If I'm riding on roads with cars I definitely turn it up. On bike paths when I'm just out for the enjoyment of it all and not in a hurry, and the terrain is flat - that's when I ride it with low or no boost.

Congrats, and great write up many will find useful.

Thanks for taking the time to convert to metric too.

If you end up like me, you will swop out for a superdelite eventually cos that comfy ride demands riding further than the single battery affords 😊

If you end up like me, you will swop out for a superdelite eventually cos that comfy ride demands riding further than the single battery affords 😊
Hahaaaaa, that is a distinct possibility!

-James

Hahaaaaa, that is a distinct possibility!
Well you said it’s only the cost of a second battery to upgrade, right? :)

Anyhow I got out of cycling just when disc brakes, shocks and gear hubs were becoming a thing, all your talk about how good this ride is getting me anxious to see what a good bike is like in the 21st century.

I've owned and ridden a 2020 Delite Touring (with GX) for 2 1/2 years and just over 13,000 miles ! It's my third R&M and my favorite for most of the reasons you write about above.
I did buy a second battery from REI for a total cost of $755 not including the kickback at the end of the year. I've only carried and used it once in the 2 and a half years ! :) :).
All the R&M's I've owned (over 25,000 miles !!) have never had any electrical issues and have only needed the usual wear and tear items.
I really like the Touring models (chain and derailleur) for their ease of repair/service. And they have a sporty feel compared to the other transmission options.
Thanks for taking the time for the post !

I’d be curious to hear more about folks’ thoughts regarding the chain/derailleur setup vs. belt/IGH setup on the Delite. (Not just idle curiosity: the Delite is really high up on my “one day” list; and “one day” might be relatively soon.)

I’d be curious to hear more about folks’ thoughts regarding the chain/derailleur setup vs. belt/IGH setup on the Delite. (Not just idle curiosity: the Delite is really high up on my “one day” list; and “one day” might be relatively soon.)
Ok.....before I bought my Delite I went to LA Flyrides and took a Delite with Rohloff for a good 30 minute ride. And then I took a Delite with chain/derailleur a.k.a. Touring model for the same.
The biggest difference and the reason I bought the Touring was because the ride was more clunky with the Rohloff vs. a more direct/sporty feel with the Touring. Probably due to the significant increase of unsprung weight of the Rohloff hub.
And.....the price was about $1500 !! higher for the Rohloff.
And as mentioned above I can repair/limp home if the chain/derailleur has a problem. Not so with the Rohloff. And in all the many many miles of riding I haven't had one issue with the chain/derailleur setup. Nothin'.
Oh, I almost forgot....another BIG issue: removing and reinstalling the rear wheel when you have to repair a flat. Easy peasy with the chain.....definitely NOT with the Rohloff.
Couldn't be happier with my Delite Touring as mentioned above.
PS: I think I qualify for an honorary membership in the R&M fan club now.

Nobody has mentioned the Rohloff oil leak yet? :)
I’ve been waiting for that …. My Rohloff on my gravel bike has no leaking (touch wood) after 6 months and nowhere near the noise during the “break in period” people warned me about … it’s been bomb proof. It’s also super easy to switch out for a puncture repair compared to my other derailleur bikes….

Not denying the well documented leak issues others have experienced here …

That said, my SC2 with Enviolo hub is anything but easy to replace rear wheel (I’ve started a whole separate thread on that frustration of mine).

I don’t consider any R&M to be “sporty” given their general weight and design so don’t see derailleur as adding value and reason I’ve embraced belt and hub is for the virtually zero maintenance in all riding conditions. It’s a remarkable combo if you’re not interested in lubing your chain etc

I don’t consider any R&M to be “sporty” given their general weight and design so don’t see derailleur as adding value and reason I’ve embraced belt and hub is for the virtually zero maintenance in all riding conditions. It’s a remarkable combo if you’re not interested in lubing your chain etc
There's something in what you're saying...

Sam, are you riding any significant hills or mountains there in NZ? How does your R&M perform there? Just curious.

I’ve been waiting for that …. My Rohloff on my gravel bike has no leaking (touch wood) after 6 months and nowhere near the noise during the “break in period” people warned me about … it’s been bomb proof.
The point is your gravel bike has no motor :) OK, I was only teasing!

Couldn't be happier with my Delite Touring as mentioned above.
The Delite is a fantastic bicycle! I borrowed a Charger 3 Touring and it had a very instant and sporty feel, probably due to the chain and derailleur. However, living in a place with an average of 250 days of rain a year, you have to constantly clean the drivetrain - which is a faff.
And.....the price was about $1500 !! higher for the Rohloff.
The increase in price is noticable, but the bike is already a costly option. And considering that I use it practically every day for commuting to work, training with my mates with non-ebikes (I use it on eco-mode) and are planning to go bike packing in the summer, then the price difference doesn't matter. I use the bicycle as a car replacement.
And as mentioned above I can repair/limp home if the chain/derailleur has a problem. Not so with the Rohloff. And in all the many many miles of riding I haven't had one issue with the chain/derailleur setup. Nothin'.
I've heard that the Rohloff hub never fails, yet mine did.... It wasn't dramatic and I was able to limp home in the gear it was stuck in.
Oh, I almost forgot....another BIG issue: removing and reinstalling the rear wheel when you have to repair a flat. Easy peasy with the chain.....definitely NOT with the Rohloff.
It's not difficult to remove the wheel. You simply disconnect the electronic cable, unscrew the quick release - or in my case an allen bolt, then you either unhook the spring tensioner of the belt or you deflate the wheel and hey presto it's out of the frame. The only thing you have to be extremely carefull with is to use no more than 7 nm of torque when you tension the quick release or allen nut - because if you do you might have to limp home :) Oh, and don't twist the gates belt.

Back