2021–2022 Riese & Müller Homage

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
They changed this in 2021 - Our Homages have been showing up with SR Suntour shocks (whooo!)

Have not seen a Marzocchi yet, but yes, I can verify that the switch is due to a lack of inventory on Suntour's part. Most of there supply seems to be out of stock in general.
JV: purchased a new Homage in July and I am experiencing a Suntour rear shock that won’t maintain pressure. Tried a new valve but no luck. Before I start paying for labor to attempt to fix the Suntour, are there other rear shocks that would be an upgrade that would fit and not throw off the carbon belt set up? Any specific suggestions would be appreciated.

I am experiencing a Suntour rear shock that won’t maintain pressure.

Are there other rear shocks that would be an upgrade that would fit?
rockshox-3.jpg

rockshox-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
JV: purchased a new Homage in July and I am experiencing a Suntour rear shock that won’t maintain pressure. Tried a new valve but no luck. Before I start paying for labor to attempt to fix the Suntour, are there other rear shocks that would be an upgrade that would fit and not throw off the carbon belt set up? Any specific suggestions would be appreciated.
As it was new in July, is it not under warranty.

As it was new in July, is it not under warranty?
I had to consider that issue: pyrrhic victory or cut one's losses?
  • Suntour #1
    0—3000 km
    Severe loss of pressure: Homage unridable after a few days.
    Replaced under warranty: no charge (R&M airfreighted a replacement).
  • Suntour #2
    3000—13000 km
    Gradual loss of pressure: Homage unridable after 1–2 weeks.
  • Rockshox
    13000—14000 km
    So far, okay.
    AU$589 (paid by me); no charge for installation (Electric Bikes Brisbane stand by their customers!).

I had to consider that issue: pyrrhic victory or cut one's losses?
  • Suntour #1
    0—3000 km
    Severe loss of pressure: Homage unridable after a few days.
    Replaced under warranty: no charge (R&M airfreighted a replacement).
  • Suntour #2
    3000—13000 km
    Gradual loss of pressure: Homage unridable after 1–2 weeks.
  • Rockshox
    13000—14000 km
    So far, okay.
    AU$589 (paid by me); no charge for installation (Electric Bikes Brisbane stand by their customers!).
Thanks for the clarification.

I looked at the Homage before getting the Nevo3

suntour-190x40.jpg

Suntour rear shock supplied by R&M. This is the replacement (#2 above).

With the front shock (fork), everything is on show; by contrast, the rear shock is hidden.

As far as I am aware, Riese & Müller are well aware of the problem and are standing by their customers (their dealers); however, it took me a while to realise that replacing Suntour with Suntour was not the solution.

In fairness, it needs to be added that I have had no problem with the rear Suntour shock on my 2019 Homage Rohloff (30,000 km). It is Suntour? Someone correct me if I'm mistaken—it's 99% out of sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 133891

Suntour rear shock supplied by R&M. This is the replacement (#2 above).

With the front shock (fork), everything is on show; by contrast, the rear shock is hidden.

As far as I am aware, Riese & Müller are well aware of the problem and are standing by their customers (their dealers); however, it took me a while to realise that replacing Suntour with Suntour was not the solution.

In fairness, it needs to be added that I have had no problem with the rear Suntour shock on my 2019 Homage Rohloff (30,000 km). It is Suntour? Someone correct me if I'm mistaken—it's 99% out of sight.
Dave: I am following your lead here. Today I ordered the Fox Float 190 x 40. I have a LBS 10 minutes away, and the R&M is about 1 hour away. Instead of going to the R&M dealer and rolling the dice with another Suntour, I am using the Suntour failure as an opportunity to upgrade to the Fox. Shock arrives tomorrow for installation at the LBS. Curious to see if it improves the ride over the Suntour.

Attachments

• 4BC00A99-C66E-45F8-8AA5-1C62F7F11C25.png
    4BC00A99-C66E-45F8-8AA5-1C62F7F11C25.png
    745.8 KB · Views: 238
I have the Thule XT and I have the 54 Homage and my wife has the smallest Nevo . It's a really tight fit to get both bikes on the rack. The only way it works is to have the Nevo closest to the car and the Homage second. I don't think it's ideal to have the heavier bike in the second "slot" but that's the only way it works.

I have been really surprised at how heavy the Homage is even with the battery removed. I had the Gazelle Ultimate before and it's a lightweight in comparison. There is 10 kg or more than 20 pounds difference if the specs on the Citrus Cycles website are correct.

I am starting to have second thoughts about taking these bikes on our annual 2200 km trip to California. I know Alaskan has done long trips with two bikes on his rack but he found a way to support the rack with an additional strap off his car roof. I would have to buy a roof rack with a cross strut to get an anchor point on my X5

I have done about 250 kms on the new Homage. I am really enjoying it but its a big brute of a bike. I had a very limited triathlon career many years ago and still remember the light and nimble triathlon bike I had. The Homage is at the other end of the scale. Think Porsche 911 versus Hummer.
I have a 54 Homage exactly like yours. My wife has a 49 Homage. Both are from the 2021 model year, and both are single battery. We recently acquired a Thule XT 2 rack. Both bikes fit securely on the rack, but I had to use Thule Frame Adapters for step-through bikes on both bikes. The two 2021 Homages fit the EasyFold well with the frame adapters, and not at all without the adapters.

Regarding the strap that goes to to of the hatchback, I didn’t want to do that with my car's glass roof. Instead, I ran a strap with a buckle forward of the wheel trays, under the base, and back to the buckle. That prevents the tilt from opening if becomes unlatched.

Attachments

• 7F320F25-3BC7-4C86-AB94-E4315EB21B1F.jpeg
    7F320F25-3BC7-4C86-AB94-E4315EB21B1F.jpeg
    64.1 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Great Homage thread. Being a plus-size rider I'm not happy with the rear stock shock. I just placed an order for a Fox FLOAT Factory DPS Remote Lockout Rear Shock 190 x 40mm and had to purchase the Fox Shox Remote 2-Pos Fork/Shock Lever Assembly to go along with it. I spoke with ProCloset Shock tech person who assisted me in feeling better about using the shock and them as an online seller: https://www.theproscloset.com/produ...p-evol-sv-ptu-pivot-mach-4-sl-md-xl-190-40-dc

My Homage HS Dual Battery with Rohloff E14 during my ride on the Minute Man Paved bike trail in MA

Attachments

• Photo Nov 29, 16 17 16 (1).jpg
    Photo Nov 29, 16 17 16 (1).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 237
Dave: I am following your lead here. Today I ordered the Fox Float 190 x 40. I have a LBS 10 minutes away, and the R&M is about 1 hour away. Instead of going to the R&M dealer and rolling the dice with another Suntour, I am using the Suntour failure as an opportunity to upgrade to the Fox. Shock arrives tomorrow for installation at the LBS. Curious to see if it improves the ride over the Suntour.
I’d love to hear how it rides after the “upgrade”.

I think the one remaining upgrade the Homage needs to make it the PERFECT bike is a Fox upgrade option. I have twice nearly pulled the trigger on upgrading my wife’s Homage with Fox as a surprise present. But if I am being honest it is because I feel guilty riding my SD Mountain with Fox with her on her Suntour suspension.

Fox has made me such a suspension snob!

I’d love to hear how it rides after the “upgrade”.

I think the one remaining upgrade the Homage needs to make it the PERFECT bike is a Fox upgrade option. I have twice nearly pulled the trigger on upgrading my wife’s Homage with Fox as a surprise present. But if I am being honest it is because I feel guilty riding my SD Mountain with Fox with her on her Suntour suspension.

Fox has made me such a suspension snob!
Jay, that guilt is precisely what spurred me into putting a Fos suspension on our 2019 Homage. Nancy deserves at least as much comfort and care as do I, if not more.
20200418_135022.jpg

Curious how many miles to expect to get from the Super Moto tires? Also, has anybody switched from the Super Moto to the Johnny Watts tires? I ride on pavement about 75% of the time but was thinking about switching for the extra off road traction. For those that have switched, is there a significant decrease in the ride with the JW tires on pavement?

Thank you.

Curious how many miles to expect to get from the Super Moto tires? Also, has anybody switched from the Super Moto to the Johnny Watts tires? I ride on pavement about 75% of the time but was thinking about switching for the extra off road traction. For those that have switched, is there a significant decrease in the ride with the JW tires on pavement?

Thank you.
9000km and counting for me …

Thank you.
There is a little more noise with JW but most of time you will never notice it between background and wind noise. More rolling resistance but you have motor so it doesn't matter. Excellent for offroading and plenty of traction on the road. Expect about 3000kms from rear tire.
For rough tracks the 2.3" can be run at 23psi.
I climbed a very steep wet grass bank expecting to loss traction and having to walk. No slippage what so ever and that was half worn tire.

I've had my new Homage for less than a month and just yesterday the rear Suntour shock was completely flat. I noticed as I went to take it out of the garage in the morning after last taking it out the night before.

The bike shop has said they'll look at the shock after I asked for a replacement, but it's a little discomforting knowing that it will go flat at any moment in time.

One surprising feature I didn't know about are the snap release type connections on the mudguards. I somehow ended up with a stick in the front wheel and it didn't break the mudguard! Which isn't true for the last bike I had! It was as simple as popping the connections back together.

Back