How to have LBS Enable Tour+ Mode on 2021 Performance Line CX Drive Unit?

BMWzenRider

I recently had my bicycle at my local shop getting a variety of thing done, and I had asked them to enable the new Tour+ Mode while they were tweaking some other settings
(crank length, and a remote software download from the manufacturer).

The service tech said that he could not figure out how to enable the mode while it was connected to the shop's computer.
They had previously enabled the eMTB mode on the bike when I picked it up in April, which I really enjoy, and was hoping to have the same kind of adaptive power mode in place of the fixed Tour Mode setting.

My bicycle:
2021 Riese & Muller Homage GT (Class-1)
2021 Bosch Performance Line CX drive unit (eMTB enabled)
Nyon Head Unit
Dual 625wh PowerTube Batteries
Rohloff E-14 Hub Gearbox
Gates Carbon Drive (55T/24T, 2.29:1 drive ratio)

TIA for any assistance that you can offer.

I cannot find anything on the Bosch website which is currently showing a restriction to chain drive models.

If the higher assist level eMTB mode works fine on my belt-driven Rohloff bike, why would the lower assist level Tour+ not work just as well?
That seems counterintuitive.

@webcurl:

1643611130410.png

Why cannot the OP upgrade to the Tour+ mode if the Bosch website tells us it is doable?

Granted, it would be clearer if they had a 4th category to specify - drive-train to then spell out compatibility.
Yeah, I have read the "derailleur only" under the Info. I think Bosch has made it all too complicated.

If the higher assist level eMTB mode works fine on my belt-driven Rohloff bike, why would the lower assist level Tour+ not work just as well?
That seems counterintuitive.
I don't know, i don't work at/for Bosch.
I have a manually shifted Rohloff and it's apparently not available for me either, of which i do not know for sure, only based on this kind of info available.
Maybe it's designed specifically for derailleur systems and they never bothered to do small tweaks to enable a non-derailleur system.
Since IGH's have different characteristics enabling/performing shifting.

I don't know, i don't work at/for Bosch.
I have a manually shifted Rohloff and it's apparently not available for me either, of which i do not know for sure, only based on this kind of info available.
Maybe it's designed specifically for derailleur systems and they never bothered to do small tweaks to enable a non-derailleur system.
Since IGH's have different characteristics enabling/performing shifting.

But Bosch does allow the eMTB mode on IGH bikes.
And as I understand it, the eMTB mode has higher assist levels than the Tour+, and a much more complicated algorithm with the "Uphill Flow", and "Extended Boost" functionality of the eMTB mode.

My understanding of the Tour+ mode is that it is a lower assist and less complicated version of the eMTB mode.
If they can implement the higher power and more complex mode with a geared hub & belt drive, then what possible reason is there that they could not also do so with the Tour+ mode?

Isn't there a Bosch Tech Support person who follows threads on this forum?
Perhaps they could chime in?

But Bosch does allow the eMTB mode on IGH bikes.
And as I understand it, the eMTB mode has higher assist levels than the Tour+, and a much more complicated algorithm with the "Uphill Flow", and "Extended Boost" functionality of the eMTB mode.

My understanding of the Tour+ mode is that it is a lower assist and less complicated version of the eMTB mode.
If they can implement the higher power and more complex mode with a geared hub & belt drive, then what possible reason is there that they could not also do so with the Tour+ mode?

eMTB was produced "years ago" now.
At a guess:
Perhaps there is limited firmware memory after fitting in eMTB as these motors computers were designed years ago now.
What seems simple to us humans is not necessarily simple to a computer.
You do know that the Bosch system senses when you are changing gears and lowers power during the shift right, that's part of the reason it doesn't destroy as many Rohloff's, Enviolo's & Derailleur's.
The characteristics of initiating/performing a gear change on the following are all different from each other:
Derailleur
Electronic Derailleur
Manual Rohloff
E14 Rohloff
Manual Enviolo
Automatic Enviolo

I've wondered about several things too, why can't Bosch implement Custom Ride modes in all displays, why is Lock limited to only a few displays (or perhaps implement a different approach), why can't we perform updates, why can't we see a changelog of what has been updated, why was the 85nM upgrade not available for pre 2020 CX's.
Why is there no GPS locator baked into the new smart system. Why are there no API's and specs available for the new system. Why did they discontinue the 12VDC Travel Charger?
etc. :)

I've wondered about several things too, why can't Bosch implement Custom Ride modes in all displays, why is Lock limited to only a few displays (or perhaps implement a different approach), why can't we perform updates, why can't we see a changelog of what has been updated, why was the 85nM upgrade not available for pre 2020 CX's.
Why is there no GPS locator baked into the new smart system. Why are there no API's and specs available for the new system. Why did they discontinue the 12VDC Travel Charger?
etc. :)
Let me guess why. Perhaps because changing a single line of code takes 50 authorized signatures and 200 underlying documents, ISO9001 etc. in that highly bureaucratic German company? :) (IBM used to be like that).

The fact you need an authorization of both Bosch E-Bike and the OEM to change your chainring size says it all...

Hello!

Availability of specific riding modes depends on what the OEM (R&M in this case) programs the specific model of eBike to have. The easiest way to tell what is available for a specific model is to have your LBS plug into the diagnostic tool, and start the update process. At the beginning of the update process, the Diagnostic Software will offer a choice between any available options. This may be a choice between eMTB mode and Sport Mode, Tour+ and Tour Mode, or no choices at all. It is based completely on what the OEM wanted to make available on their specific eBike product.

I hope this helps!

Hello!

Availability of specific riding modes depends on what the OEM (R&M in this case) programs the specific model of eBike to have. The easiest way to tell what is available for a specific model is to have your LBS plug into the diagnostic tool, and start the update process. At the beginning of the update process, the Diagnostic Software will offer a choice between any available options. This may be a choice between eMTB mode and Sport Mode, Tour+ and Tour Mode, or no choices at all. It is based completely on what the OEM wanted to make available on their specific eBike product.

I hope this helps!

"The new Tour+ riding mode of the Bosch..."
and: "The Tour+ riding mode is available for eBikes with Drive Unit Performance Line CX and eMTB mode since summer 2021"

Let's say hypothetically only one OEM chose to make Tour+ available for their bikes, my question would then be why is Bosch advertising it as a feature that seemingly is available to all but is not?

"The new Tour+ riding mode of the Bosch..."
and: "The Tour+ riding mode is available for eBikes with Drive Unit Performance Line CX and eMTB mode since summer 2021"

Let's say hypothetically only one OEM chose to make Tour+ available for their bikes, my question would then be why is Bosch advertising it as a feature that seemingly is available to all but is not?
My understanding is that the majority of OEMs are enabling Tour+ on their Tour+ compatible products. To be safe, I always recommend the individual eBike is checked anytime specific software features are in question, rather than putting potentially false/speculative information out there. I suppose one might also be able to contact the OEM, and/or read the product page, but I'm not sure how well that will work as different OEMs don't always list software feature details on their websites.

Bosch shares engineering information with OEMs to ensure a proper/successful integration of the Bosch System into their eBike product, but we very rarely have exact details due to OEMs' proprietary product info, etc. For example, we usually won't even know what display will show-up on 'X model' eBike until we see it complete.

I hope this helps!

My understanding is that the majority of OEMs are enabling Tour+ on their Tour+ compatible products. To be safe, I always recommend the individual eBike is checked anytime specific software features are in question, rather than putting potentially false/speculative information out there. I suppose one might also be able to contact the OEM, and/or read the product page, but I'm not sure how well that will work as different OEMs don't always list software feature details on their websites.

Bosch shares engineering information with OEMs to ensure a proper/successful integration of the Bosch System into their eBike product, but we very rarely have exact details due to OEMs' proprietary product info, etc. For example, we usually won't even know what display will show-up on 'X model' eBike until we see it complete.

I hope this helps!

Thank you for the additional information about how the Tour+ mode is being implemented.

I now wonder whether my R&M Homage having special programming to allow a lower belt-drive gearing than the stock setup is part of the reason the option did not show up (according to my LBS tech)?

Has anyone else with a R&M, and more specifically a 2021/2022 Homage asked their LBS about enabling the Tour+ mode?

TIA.

Back