A Few Questions from a Prospective Riese and Müller Buyer

You'll be very happy with your Delite with Rohloff E14. Why didn't you go for the Superdelite with Rohloff E14 if you have a lot of hills where you live? I ride the Homage and Superdelite both with Rohloff E14 and have no range anxiety with plenty of battery to get my plus size body up hills.

I've been getting enough range with my present bike, since I only use the max assist for the steep hills. Otherwise, I'm only using medium assist, or none on the level areas (and none coming back down the hills of course!). I like the slightly lower center of gravity without the top tube battery, and I figure if I ever start needing more range I can get another battery and throw it in a pannier. So I got the single battery Delite.

Ah! At last! My bike was built the week of Jan 9-13 and shipped by boat - I picked it up from LA Fly Rides yesterday March 11th. I ordered it back in September, so nearly 6 months total. It’s a Delite HS Rohloff, with the GX option, Fox suspension, full rear rack, front rack and bag, and Nyon display. It was worth the wait.

The shop was great - I spent about an hour with their mechanic getting the seat, bars, and suspension all adjusted just right. Not too upright, not too far forward that I’m leaning on my arms too much, shocks and tire pressures set up properly, riding it around a bit and tweaking it here and there, and everything re-torqued to spec afterwards. Excellent service.

This is quite a machine - das Überbike, if you will. It solves all the problems I wanted it to solve. The first thing is the full suspension makes the really crappy roads around here bearable. The Fox Float shock and fork are appropriately named - the bike just floats over all the bad road that usually jars my joints into submission!

Hill climbing wasn’t really an issue with my Priority Current, but the Delite is even better. Despite the lower stated torque of the Bosch motor, from the seat of the pants it seems to have as much or more. Plus the Rohloff hub has about 3.5 more low gears (ratios). Going back down the hills, there are about 2+ more high gears. Going 28mph has a much, much more relaxed pedal cadence - about 74 vs. something like 90.

I took her for a just few spins around the block when I got her home since it was raining… but I took her out for a nice 16-mile run today, up around the Hollywood Hills and past Griffith Park Observatory. Bloody brilliant!

All the bad road didn’t hurt, and this bike just feels totally solid and in control. I took her off road into dirt, gravel, and grass, rolled through some puddles, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I love the Rohloff. The thing is crisp, and the range is insane for a hub shifter. If I hold the brakes and press down on the pedal, the Shimano 5 on my Current is kind of… gooshy. I do that on the Rohloff and it’s solid as a rock. Shifting is crisp and the whole drivetrain just feels solid. I like the dropper seat post a lot too. And a nice touch: The mirror folds out of the way making it easier to get in and out the door.

The Nyon display keeps a lot of interesting statistics, like hill grade (I had some nice 17% ones today), pedal cadence, speed, a map of where I went, how much I used each assistance level - not strictly necessary to have fun riding a bike, but all nice to know.

Expensive: Check. Long wait: Check. Worth it? Hell yes. This is an awesome bike!

Here she is: Fräuke!

IMG_6848.jpeg

Typical Hollywood Hills crappy road. I could usually pick my way through, but when a car comes I can't choose a line. I picked the worst of it today and rode right over like it was nothing!

IMG_6895.jpeg

Went up this dirt road...

IMG_6898.jpeg

...which led me to this rock arrangement.

IMG_6903.jpeg

More bad road.

IMG_6909.jpeg

But there's a nice view up here!

IMG_6897.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah! At last! My bike was built the week of Jan 9-13 and shipped by boat - I picked it up from LA Fly Rides yesterday March 11th. I ordered it back in September, so nearly 6 months total. It’s a Delite HS Rohloff, with the GX option, Fox suspension, full rear rack, front rack and bag, and Nyon display. It was worth the wait.

The shop was great - I spent about an hour with their mechanic getting the seat, bars, and suspension all adjusted just right. Not too upright, not too far forward that I’m leaning on my arms too much, shocks and tire pressures set up properly, riding it around a bit and tweaking it here and there, and everything re-torqued to spec afterwards. Excellent service.

This is quite a machine - das Überbike, if you will. It solves all the problems I wanted it to solve. The first thing is the full suspension makes the really crappy roads around here bearable. The Fox Float shock and fork are appropriately named - the bike just floats over all the bad road that usually jars my joints into submission!

Hill climbing wasn’t really an issue with my Priority Current, but the Delite is even better. Despite the lower stated torque of the Bosch motor, from the seat of the pants it seems to have as much or more. Plus the Rohloff hub has about 3.5 more low gears (ratios). Going back down the hills, there are about 2+ more high gears. Going 28mph has a much, much more relaxed pedal cadence - about 74 vs. something like 90.

I took her for a just few spins around the block when I got her home since it was raining… but I took her out for a nice 16-mile run today, up around the Hollywood Hills and past Griffith Park Observatory. Bloody brilliant!

All the bad road didn’t hurt, and this bike just feels totally solid and in control. I took her off road into dirt, gravel, and grass, rolled through some puddles, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I love the Rohloff. The thing is crisp, and the range is insane for a hub shifter. If I hold the brakes and press down on the pedal, the Shimano 5 on my Current is kind of… gooshy. I do that on the Rohloff and it’s solid as a rock. Shifting is crisp and the whole drivetrain just feels solid. I like the dropper seat post a lot too. And a nice touch: The mirror folds out of the way making it easier to get in and out the door.

The Nyon display keeps a lot of interesting statistics, like hill grade (I had some nice 17% ones today), pedal cadence, speed, a map of where I went, how much I used each assistance level - not strictly necessary to have fun riding a bike, but all nice to know.

Expensive: Check. Long wait: Check. Worth it? Hell yes. This is an awesome bike!

View attachment 149138

Typical Hollywood Hills crappy road. I could usually pick my way through, but when a car comes I can't choose a line. I picked the worst of it today and rode right over like it was nothing!

View attachment 149139

View attachment 149140

View attachment 149141

More bad road.

View attachment 149142

View attachment 149143
Nice bike. Buy a good lock and cable setup. Or better yet-never let it out of your sight! ;)

View attachment 149138

View attachment 149139

View attachment 149140

View attachment 149141

More bad road.

View attachment 149142

View attachment 149143
Sooo glad you’re enjoying it.
Really sounds like excellent dealer service too which is a must when you’re buying a bike this expensive!

Sooo glad you’re enjoying it.
Really sounds like excellent dealer service too which is a must when you’re buying a bike this expensive!
Definitely! And with "more moving parts" than a plain ol' bicycle, it was important to me to have dealer support locally.

WARNING!

I loved my Delight Vario Fox so much I kept running out of range (older 500wh battery than yours) so I got a Superdelight Mountain instead :)

Its a great bike, and I hope it too lures you our more often for longer. Congratulations.

WARNING!

I loved my Delight Vario Fox so much I kept running out of range (older 500wh battery than yours) so I got a Superdelight Mountain instead :)

Its a great bike, and I hope it too lures you our more often for longer. Congratulations.
Ha haaa! It has 625wh these days, and reckoned that if I start running out of juice, I'll just buy another battery and throw it in one of my panniers! Did another ride in the hills over lunch today - this bike is awesome!

View attachment 149138
Beautiful bike - congrats!

My R&M Delite with GX is just over two years old and I've ridden it just over 13,000 !! miles with absolutely NO problems. This is my third R&M and the last two had ZERO problems also. I always buy the Touring versions (chain and derailleur) as I like the more "sporty" feel and ease of maintenance that I can do myself. Love the Bosch CX motor too.
Enjoy yours and may it be as trouble free as mine !

Back