Latest News from Riese & Müller

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Thanks Marc! It's really our pleasure. Thank you for trusting us with your business.

@Dewey I saw this as well. It's really unfortunate, but I feel like I saw it coming when they introduced a half baked product several years ago at Eurobike. It's a really challenging business and frankly, I don't trust most new entrants, especially when they try to do too much. A wise friend of mine in the HVAC business who is also a Harvard MBA grad told me about how when Air Conditioners were first introduced there were about 30 companies. Now there are 8. He told me to try and partner with those that will be part of that <30% which will be here in the future. It's not always so easy to do, but it seems to be becoming clearer. I like the idea of working with private companies as this market can be a bit unpredictable and they won't be too influenced by the fluctuations in their P&L because they have a long term strategy and a clear vision. I actually might do a video at some point about this and the volatility of the market. I think it's an unfortunate reality and something most might not be so aware of when focusing on specs and marketing propositions.

What a pity, the 48V Revolution combining motor and gear hub was quite interesting..
Agree! Now, somebody should try and get Pinion & Yamaha talking to each other :)
Rohloff and Bosch already are, but imagine a Rohloff hub with builtin Bosch motor that can do re-gen!

Imagine a Rohloff hub with built-in Bosch motor that can do regen!
For that to happen, the Bosch motor would need to join the Rohloff in the rear hub.

Or the freewheel as well as the Rohloff would have to move to the centre so that the chain/belt always kept moving when the ebike was in motion.

You did say imagine, so why not! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
He told me to try and partner with those that will be part of that <30% which will be here in the future. It's not always so easy to do, but it seems to be becoming clearer. I like the idea of working with private companies as this market can be a bit unpredictable and they won't be too influenced by the fluctuations in their P&L because they have a long term strategy and a clear vision.
Those are two very smart comments Chris. My business is now 45 years old and that's exactly why. Jump on the band wagon with an unproven and a "sounds-to-good-to-be-true" partner and the odds are you'll go down along with that wagon. Conversely, sticking with a formula based on your stated strategy may mean you might not grow by leaps and bounds right out of the box but you'll probably be around for the long haul. Like I said, smart.

Marc

For that to happen, the Bosch motor would need to join the Rohloff in the rear hub.

Or the freewheel as well as the Rohloff would have to move to the centre so that the chain/belt always kept moving when the ebike was in motion.

You did say imagine, so why not! ;)
Yes, i imagine the motor with the rear hub, perhaps 3 or 4 little motors for symmetry all taking turns getting the benefit of the Rohloff and reverse of that being re-gen :)

Thanks again @marcparnes! This means a lot coming from you and as you said. This is a formula which works.

Regarding the integration of a gearbox and a middle motor, I think the Enviolo concept makes a lot of sense since it’s the only truely automatic system on the market at the moment. Shimano has their’s but it’s a bit clunky. I asked the Mirco Rohloff, the son of the founder of Rohloff and the developer of the E14 he said it’s unlikely that they will introduce an automatic version. I suspect the market demand will eventually change this, it’s just not so easy to do this with a stepped transmission though.

All this being said, not knowing what Bosch has on their roadmap. Keep in mind they are pretty big on making transmissions for automobiles. They are especially skilled at automatic transmissions and CVTs.

Shimano also filed a patent for a BB mounted drivetrain which can be coupled with a middle motor. Time will tell and this definitely the future. I suspect we will first see many bikes with the new Enviolo Automatiq in the near future. A few bikes will run it this year, but we should see many more soon.

Hi everyone, first time poster here.

My wife and I ordered our 2020 vario Homage a Delite in September, and we were advised of a general build date of November. I am just wondering if anyone has received more specific build dates, like Marc above for the superdelite, for our models?

Melbourne has been unseasonally cool, but perfect for riding in the Dandenong Ranges where we live. It has been agony waiting I tell you! 🙂

My wife and I ordered our 2020 vario Homage a Delite in September, and we were advised of a general build date of November. I am just wondering if anyone has received more specific build dates, like Marc above for the superdelite, for our models?

Melbourne has been unseasonally cool, but perfect for riding in the Dandenong Ranges where we live. It has been agony waiting I tell you! 🙂
Hi,
If you have your Bike Code, which the dealer gets when he places the order, you can go here and scroll down a little bit to where it says
Find out when your bike will be delivered and submit the Code. It returns with your build date :)
Marc

My wife and I ordered two Superdelites in September. The projected build period is the week of November 25th. Maybe if you order two separate models, they get built at different times? I think they might give your dealer production codes when they start the build, so you can track the build progress. You are right. It is hard to wait.

Many thanks Marc and Mr. Decaf! I'll contact my dealer to get a hold of the bike code.

Ask your dealer for the bike code and you can enter on the r&m homepage. Just scroll down a bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191116-223909_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191116-223909_Chrome.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 394
My wife and I ordered our 2020 Vario Homage and Delite in September, and we were advised of a general build date of November.
Jay and Kay …
I ordered my Homage on the last day of August 2018 (the first day that the 2019 model appeared on the R&M website); its build date was the final week of November; arrival in Brisbane was on Christmas Eve; my first ride was in early January.

That was 11,000 km ago. Be patient (you have no option!); the wait will soon be in the past. Actually, it's easy for me to say that as I had a Trek Powerfly 5 to help me through. I often take the Trek out for short rides from home (we're just two minutes from the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail). Although the Trek is an acceptable ebike, it is constant reminder of how refined the Homage is.
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
Jay and Kay …
I ordered my Homage on the last day of August 2018 (the first day that the 2019 model appeared on the R&M website); its build date was the final week of November; arrival at Electric Bikes Brisbane on Christmas Eve; my first ride was in early January.

That was 11,000 km ago. Be patient (you have no option!); the wait will soon be in the past. Actually, it's easy for me to say that as I had a Trek Powerfly 5 to help me through. I often ride the Trek and, although it is an acceptable ebike, it is constant reminder of how refined the Homage is.
… David
Thanks David. My dealer called to say he will get me the bike codes tomorrow, but he thought my wife’s Homage might already be on its way - she is super excited. Mine, he thought, was still to enter production but will confirm tomorrow. I am looking forward to getting used to her Homage, and her Moto-X tyres, which sound pretty awesome. I have gone for the GX Fox option on the Delite, as I am a bit more adventurous - only 500m of sealed road then we are on trail for 3km before we get into Lysterfield Park and the 2006 Commonwealth Games MTB course network. I wont be looking for air at my age, just some dignified fun 😎

Vario transmission for the Homage. What have you chosen for the Delite?
Same transmission David. I hum'med and har'red about the Rohloff, and came close to ordering it, but in the end decided a big part about getting a bike with my wife was to ride with her. I think if we end up loving these bikes as much as I think (hope) we will, we will sell them with our house when we move in about 4 years, and I will be better informed to invest in both a better geared transmission (or not), and a dual battery set up (or not) for the next ones.

Last edited:
My wife and I ordered two Superdelites in September. The projected build period is the week of November 25th. Maybe if you order two separate models, they get built at different times? I think they might give your dealer production codes when they start the build, so you can track the build progress. You are right. It is hard to wait.
Yeah, it looks like they will be arriving at different times, with the Homage expected soon (according to our dealer). My wife is off working in Western Australia for 2 weeks, so if her bike arrives this Friday, I'll get a good week in before I have to hand her bike over.

Our dealer has confirmed my wife’s Homage is in the air, due for delivery any day. My GX Delite however, as a new 2020 model, was originally programmed for a November build, has now slipped to 16-20 December. We ordered them at the same time on 30 September. 😢

I have waited most of my life for a bike like this....I guess I can wait a month or 2 longer.

Back