Latest News from Riese & Müller

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Can you configure the long press from 3 to say 2?
No.

With the Rohloff E-14 a long press changes four gears. Actually, one gear is changed (up or down), plus three more (equals 4).
  • Long Press : 1 + 3 = 4 gears
  • Extra Long Press : 1 + 3 + 3 = 7 gears
  • Very Long Press : 1 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 10 gears
  • Extra Very Long Press : 1 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 13 gears

Last edited by a moderator:
No.

With the Rohloff E-14 a long press changes four gears. Actually, one gear is changed (up or down), plus three more (equals 4).
  • Long Press : 1 + 3 = 4 gears
  • Extra Long Press : 1 + 3 + 3 = 7 gears
  • Very Long Press : 1 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 10 gears
  • Extra Very Long Press : 1 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 13 gears
Wow, 4 i thought it was 3.
That's disappointing. Should have an extra configuration for that imho.

For the SuperDelite the R&M website updates the "in numbers" section with weight accordingly with frame size but not options, there seems to be no weight listed at all for the SuperDelite Mountain Rohloff. Does anyone or is there anywhere these other numbers are listed?
Seems to be a bit heavier than the 2019 models, is this purely because of the dropper post and powertubes even though the motor is lighter?

There seems to be no weight listed at all for the SuperDelite Mountain Rohloff.
I've searched and haven't be able to find the weight of the Superdelite Mountain Rohloff.

For me, the latest version of R&M's website is far too complicated. Too clever by half!

Keep it simple, R&M. The best style conveys the most information as succinctly and clearly as possible.

Kalkhoff and Rose have been mentioned, but the references appear to be for Continental motor-only systems (Prime rather than Evolution).

The ebikemanufaktur 8cht Gates model uses the Continental Revolution https://www.ebike-manufaktur.com/en...gates-nuvinci-ecvp-380-disc-continental-600wh

The Johansson brochure says the Continental Revolution will be an option on the Oscar-S cargo trike https://www.johansson-bikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Broschuere_Johansson.pdf

The Stajvelo RV01 also has the Revolution https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/n...e-out-of-injection-moulded-thermoplastic-2095

Last edited:
Intuvia (so i can convert to Smartphone Hub later, after converting E14 to manual gear mech - providing all this is possible)

Interesting.
You're saying that you can downgrade from electric to manual shifting. I never liked the electrical shift (especially the plastic of the buttons) from Rohloff.

Will it work with the smartphone hub? Currently, R&M does not allow the smartphone hub with the Rohloff.

Interesting.
You're saying that you can downgrade from electric to manual shifting. I never liked the electrical shift (especially the plastic of the buttons) from Rohloff.

Will it work with the smartphone hub? Currently, R&M does not allow the smartphone hub with the Rohloff.
As i said "providing this is possible", i don't know yet. What i do know is that it would be expensive!

Even when they have the weights (e.g. SuperCharger2), I'm left wondering what they mean. The E-14 version of SC2 says 30.4 kilos and that would presumably include both batteries and the Abus lock. But the cassette version is stated as weighing 29.9. Is there really only half a kilo difference between E-14 and a cassette based transmission?

Possible. The Rohloff is heavier than the derailleur but the belt is lighter than the chain.

Continental 48 Volt Revolution …
View attachment 37896
Continental's 48 volt motor and a planetary gear combo promises all the shifting advantages of an Enviolo system, but I have no idea whether these promises have been delivered.

I doubt whether it will be seen as a threat to Rohloff. Of course, Riese & Müller is committed to Bosch.

Here is a link: Continental 48V CeBS Revolution.
I can see this being the future, but they're going to need to do better on torque & gear range, to get me to switch.

I go to the gym 3 times a week to do a circuit of machines, at least in part so I can keep manhandling my heavy bikes.

I did recently place an order with Efficient Velo Tools in Portland Oregon for their EZLift counterweighted bike repair stand/lift. Even with battery, lock, bags, etc removed, lifting and clamping a heavy bike with only 2 hands is dicey.

I'm sort of sick of the drivetrain maintenance of cassette/chain so I suspect that at some point in the future I'll be interested.

Have you thought of installing a Rohloff on your current bike?
You could go single chain up front and a Rohloff in the rear. Even with the chain, since it remains straight, the maintenance intervals are long. I just do minimum cleaning once a month and lubing once in 2 weeks.
It might cost you $1600 for the Rohloff, wheel build and installation and you may extract another 3-4 years of use out of this bike before it is retired...

I actually have to carry my bike up a flight of stairs. I can manage with the ~23 kilos. I'm wondering with 4.5 additional kilos. I'll have to do some tests. :)
I have to bring my bikes up 10 steps out and up from the basement every time I ride. At that point it is fully loaded with both batteries, lock, bags, tools etc., I'm guessing the Homage is close to 85 lbs. Although I turn 69 next week, I am a fairly big and burly guy.

How are the belt drives tensioned on these R&M bikes? Do you need to re-tension periodically?
2020_rm_homage_gates.jpg

JayVee …
In my experience the Gates belt and the tensioner (below the swing arm pivot) are set-and-forget items. The R&M 'sets' them and I 'forget' them. That said, I do take the Homage into the R&M dealer every 2000 km for a scheduled service (10,000 km due now!).

The Homage's dropouts and quick release are 'old school' (not through-axle). I have had the rear wheel off a dozen or so times – not easy but not impossible if the tyre is deflated.
… David

The correct tension is maintained by the Idler that the bottom of the belt rides up on after coming off the drive ring. The dropout that holds the axle and wheel, is integrated in once piece with a hollow plate, held in place by two bolts and nuts. The nuts are on the inside and held by a narrow track so no wrench needed. The bolt heads can be seen in the above photo, countersunk into the short, angled, vertical section of the swing arm just forward of the hub. The angled, vertical piece backed up to the forward edge of the short swing arm section is part of the dropout/bracket.

I have over 4,000 miles on my Homage, with no need to adjust the belt tension. It appears to not have stretched at all since new.

I have had the wheel off numerous times (without letting any air out). The wheel comes down, out of the drop outs and held even with, and immediately below the bottom of the dropout slot. Grab the belt at the back end of the rear sprocket and let the axle/wheel come forward about 3/4" and the belt can peel off. It took several attempts to figure this one out, doing the deflation thing the first time.

Last edited:
In my experience the Gates belt and the tensioner (below the swing arm pivot) are set-and-forget items.

what do you mean by set-and-forget items?
So is that tensioner that I see fixed? or mounted in a spring?

I mean, it's normal that it's fixed in a Multicharger. But in a full-suspension bike, the rear fork moves with a different fulcrum than the fulcrum of the belt.
Virtually every time the bike is amortized, the belt slackens a little.

Does anyone know whether the 2020 Riese & Müller bikes are in production, and when they will start shipping to the US market?

Back