Latest News from Riese & Müller

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
David, are you aware of any bikes that have that Continental system? It looks quite interesting. 6.4 kg, would that make it heavier or lighter than say the 2020 Bosch system with a cassette and derailleur. I like the idea of this with a Gates carbon belt.

I'd love to test ride a bike with this system.

Continental 48 Volt Revolution …
View attachment 37896
Continental's 48 volt motor and a planetary gear combo promises all the shifting advantages of an Enviolo system, but I have no idea whether these promises have been delivered.

I doubt whether it will be seen as a threat to Rohloff. Of course, Riese & Müller is committed to Bosch.

Here is a link: Continental 48V CeBS Revolution.
Do you know of any bike manufacturer that is using the Continental system? On the face of it they are certainly coming up with some attractive ideas. with controllers. batteries and integrated motor/gear units. One has to wonder whether they will be able to hit the market with products that are as reliable and durable as Bosch. I suspect we will see their products in Europe but not elsewhere.

Do you know of any bike manufacturer that is using the Continental system?
Kalkhoff and Rose have been mentioned, but the references appear to be for Continental motor-only systems (Prime rather than Evolution).

Continental 48 Volt Revolution …
View attachment 37896
Continental's 48 volt motor and a planetary gear combo promises all the shifting advantages of an Enviolo system, but I have no idea whether these promises have been delivered.

I doubt whether it will be seen as a threat to Rohloff. Of course, Riese & Müller is committed to Bosch.

Here is a link: Continental 48V CeBS Revolution.
I shared an article when this motor first was announced Continental .
Hopefully Rohloff will up their game, maybe after they sell all these R&M hubs they will have the capital to develop an integrated motor/transmission with Bosch. Bosch is a fantastic electro-mechanical manufacture, but beyond washing machine transmissions I don’t know of other primary power transmissions. Ideally they would partner with Rohloff and develop a CVT/motor or develop one on their own.
The Rohloff Speed hub is a 20 year old design for European touring bikes. I have a slight sour taste for Rohloff for their hub cancelled one month of my winter holiday riding.

Last edited:
I shared an article when this motor first was announced Continental .
Hopefully Rohloff will up their game, maybe after they sell all these R&M hubs they will have the capital to develop an integrated motor/transmission with Bosch. Bosch is a fantastic electro-mechanical manufacture, but beyond washing machine transmissions I don’t know of other primary power transmissions. Ideally they would partner with Rohloff and develop a CVT/motor or develop one on their own.
The Rohloff Speed hub is a 20 year old design for European touring bikes. I have a slight sour taste for Rohloff for their hub cancelled one month of my winter holiday riding.
Dennis, While I sympathize with the problems you have had with your Rohloff, both of mine have been rock solid and without any issues...thousands of miles on both of them with only an oil change and no other service. Having owned and then parted with a bike that had the Nuvinci CVT, I learned to love the ratio changing experience but not the inherent energy/effort loss. It took noticeably more effort to achieve the same acceleration and speed with the Nuvinici as compared with the Rohloff. For me this was something for which the gee whiz factor of the shifting experience was not enough to compensate. Both share the major advantage of being able to utilize the Gates belt drive, a bike feature that is clearly superior to chain with all its cleaning, lubing , mess and, in particular, its lack of durability on an ebike.

Dennis, While I sympathize with the problems you have had with your Rohloff, both of mine have been rock solid and without any issues...thousands of miles on both of them with only an oil change and no other service. Having owned and then parted with a bike that had the Nuvinci CVT, I learned to love the ratio changing experience but not the inherent energy/effort loss. It took noticeably more effort to achieve the same acceleration and speed with the Nuvinici as compared with the Rohloff. For me this was something for which the gee whiz factor of the shifting experience was not enough to compensate. Both share the major advantage of being able to utilize the Gates belt drive, a bike feature that is clearly superior to chain with all its cleaning, lubing , mess and, in particular, its lack of durability on an ebike.
As we speak my Rohloff issue is being resolved. I’m sure my experiences with the Rohloff, in the winter of 2020, will be as delightful as yours. As for now my Pittsburgh NuVinci equipped Nevo is maintenance free and a pleasure to ride.

I agree the 2020 Charger, SuperCharger, Delite and Super Delight are stunning ebikes. With the less drag of the gen4 Bosch motor would one assume increased milage? So would the gen4 with the 625W battery be equivalent to a gen2 and say 900W batteries.

I've been waiting for the new R&M bikes since Bosch announced their new motors but I must say that > EUR 10.000 for a fully configured Superdelite is way too much money!!!

What do you guys think about their new prices?

I'm not Superdelited (pun intended) :-(

Ruirod …
The 2020 Homage is essentially the same as my 2019 Homage. Perhaps, this makes the Homage a good basis for comparing prices.
  • 2019 Homage GX Rohloff : AU$12,147.
  • 2020 Homage GT Rohloff : AU$12,607.
  • Increase of AU$460 or just under 4%.
Is the increase due to exchange rates, 'inevitable' inflation, increased costs or increased profits? Whatever the reason, a 4% increase isn't outrageous.
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruirod …
The 2020 Homage is essentially the same as my 2019 Homage. Perhaps, this makes the Homage a good basis for comparing prices.
  • 2019 Homage GX Rohloff : AU$12,147.
  • 2020 Homage GT Rohloff : AU$12,607.
  • Increase of AU$460 or just under 4%.
Is the increase due to exchange rates, 'inevitable' inflation, increased costs or increased profits? Whatever the reason, a 4% increase isn't outrageous.
… David
Was the Australian duty of 5% from non-trading partners applied to your 2019 price?
Thanks go to Stealth ebikes for that duty i believe.
For the Superchargers:
I paid in 2018 A$10,066 for my GX (no duty at that time)
2020 Supercharger GX: A$11,229
2020 Supercharger2 GT Rohloff with Front Carrier & GX option: A$12,367

And what would be my dream bike now (minus the Fox 36 shocks):
Superdelite GT Rohloff with:
Air Suspension upgrade
GX option
Front carrier
Intuvia (so i can convert to Smartphone Hub later, after converting E14 to manual gear mech - providing all this is possible)
comes in at A$14,926 minus the mods - phew. (but only A$300 more than German price exchanged to A$)

Last edited:
I agree the 2020 Charger, SuperCharger, Delite and Super Delight are stunning ebikes. With the less drag of the gen4 Bosch motor would one assume increased milage? So would the gen4 with the 625W battery be equivalent to a gen2 and say 900W batteries.
Getting back to Riese & Muller, you're going to have to wait a while for the 625's. I'm sure (not 100%) they're already testing geometries associated with them but not ready in time.
Bosch need to update their Range Calculator.

Last edited:
Glad that almost 2 years later R&M Is offering 'nearly' the configuration I originally tried to order in their new 'super-delight'. I feel like I should get a discount for inspiration.

1568313686581.jpeg

Now I just need to find a shop that will take a trade in (like a car dealer) and upgrade to what I originally was hoping for!

Front and rear Racks - check;
HS dual Batt- check
Tubless- check
Drop post- check
Better suspension-check
Belt drive (unavailable then)
Eshift (unavailable then)
Internal battery (unavailable then)
29er still waiting.

I've been waiting for the new R&M bikes since Bosch announced their new motors but I must say that > EUR 10.000 for a fully configured Superdelite is way too much money!!!

I'm not Superdelited (pun intended) :-(
I have a spreadsheet with all the parts on my 2018 Supercharger GX on it and along side i've put many "cheapest retail price i could find" next to each part, this is less than 85% complete, this does not include the cost of air freight to Australia, dealers margin, frame, racks, fasteners, rims & many other small things. But it does contain the big ticket items plus many others.
The spreadsheet adds up to over A$8000 in parts and i paid $10,066.00 for mine (no Australian 5% duty at the time), i appreciate these are retail prices and R&M would get them much cheaper in bulk.
Just saying, if you were to find a suitable frame, racks, etc. and were able to build it yourself it wouldn't be cheap.

We have had a Nevo with the Nuvinci hub, now own 2018 Delight Mountain a 2018 Homage with manual Rohloff and a 2019 Homage with E14, Every shifting system benefits in durability if they are shifted with a slight hesitation in power applied to the cranks. The chain will last far longer as will the teeth on the chain ring and the rear cassette. It is easiest not to execute a brief pause on a derailleur system, less so with a Nuvinci and absolutely necessary using a Rohloff. It may be possible to change gears without a pause if you are not climbing a hill but you will get grinding gears and your chain will not last very long at all.

We all know what a derailleur feels like. I found the Nuvinci the easiest to shift quickly and smoothly. That said it was noticeably slower than a bike with the same CX motor with 11 speed derailleur due to the inherent inefficiency of the transmission with its 17% loss of wattage from the cranks to the rear wheel. The Rohloff feels equally efficient to a derailleur system.

The manual Rohloff took a bit of time to accommodate the need for a hiccup in power to the cranks but once I learned to do so with my feet at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock I soon was able to shift up or down while climbing a 15% grade without issue. With the manual shifter it took two grabs of the rotary shift to go more than three gears at a time.

The E14 does have a 180 millisecond pause during a shift. That is less than 1/4 of a second. When I first rode with the E14 I was not happy with the jerky feel of the e shift. Then I realized I was not easing up on the pedals as I had been with the manual shifter. When I resumed the momentary pause with my feet, the shifting instantly became butter smooth and nearly instantaneous. After a few rides I have committed the process of shifting 1,4,7 or ten gears at a time by varying the press and hold time to muscle memory.

Not only would I never willingly return to a manual shift but I had our 2018 Homage which my wife rides retrofitted with the e-14 electronic shift system. After three rides Nancy is also sold on the superiority of the the E14 over manual shifting.

I really like how one of the fields on my Nyon display shows the gear I am in with an x/14 (x being the present gear). It also has an up and down arrow for shift recommendation when spinning to high or low. On the Intuvia display the current gear is one of the info fields that can be selected and displayed.

I understand the reluctance of some to rely on electronics to be able to shift. My experience to date is that the system is absolutely reliable. I have ridden E14 for over 3,000 miles without issue.

There is a learning curve but really after less than 5 rides I pretty much had it all down. In return I get rock solid reliability, a huge gear range from billy goat to speed demon, great longevity and minimal maintenance.

Rohloff with E14 rules.
I know you can specify the "starting gear" but can you configure the long press from 3 to say 2?
I find myself shifting mostly (in order of how often) 2, 1, 3 & 4 gears at a time.

Back