Winter e-biking advices

I have used a powerbank with 4 LG cells on my 8 pad heater set and it works, but not for long. I'm contemplating using a series of hot water bottles next. It's getting cold and windy up here in Canuckistan.

“used power bank” 4 cells? My Dolphin case has a USB port. No issues. Maybe a larger power bank?

I'll try the USB port again. It's supposed to be a 2A supply.
Yeah, the bike's Reention Dorado USB port doesn't heat up the pads as much as my little 4-cell powerbank does. Guess it's not 2A.

Alrighty! DIY microwavable rice packs or oatmeal packs, then. Some for inside my DIY hand protector too.

Yeah, the bike's Reention Dorado USB port doesn't heat up the pads as much as my little 4-cell powerbank does. Guess it's not 2A.

Alrighty! DIY microwavable rice packs or oatmeal packs, then. Some for inside my DIY hand protector too.
I found some power packs online, batteryhookup, AND have a cheap USB power tester. I like to know and not depend on rumors. I don’t mean that factiously. More often than not damn forums support old bachelors rumors.

amazon for quickness,

China for the best price, since I lived this long without some tools I don’t mind waiting, to save.

more dollars for single malts.

I found some power packs online, batteryhookup, AND have a cheap USB power tester. I like to know and not depend on rumors. I don’t mean that factiously. More often than not damn forums support old bachelors rumors.

amazon for quickness,

China for the best price, since I lived this long without some tools I don’t mind waiting, to save.

more dollars for single malts.
Going to at least try rice packs for now. Doesn't get cheaper.

Going to at least try rice packs for now. Doesn't get cheaper.
But for sustained heat...
my bike gets stuck outdoors in a completely sunless location. Today it was 13F. within an hour my battery temp was 32f on the surface. my ride home was off the wall, sagging to 38v unless I feathers the throttle carefully. PAS wanted to push the amps up to quickly. Not adapting to the temps.

yesterday was completely different. My 12v 8 cell pack kept the pack at a low of 75-90F.

i should create a thread, next week...I was busy and making a new “Battery Charging Safe”. Pictures soon.
And complainIng I bought anything from UPP again.

If you live in the city or whereabouts that use salt to fight against ice on their streets, I'd advise wiping down your tires and frame to remove any buildup. Your components will last longer. As I do for my cars, I occasionally use 303 aerospace protectant to treat the tires and some of the plastics to increase longevity.

I've watched quite few videos from one of those guys. He comes up with some surprising results that are at odds with everything else one hears, like that 18650 cells stored carelessly for years fully charged didn't lose much capacity at all when recharged.

Last edited:
He comes up with some surprising results that are at odds with everything else one hears, like that 18650 cells stored carelessly for years fully charged didn't lose much capacity at all when recharged.
Perhaps colored by the fact he is selling for Battery Hookup and others? I've seen old cells charge to 4.2 and then totally sag under the stress of normal use. I use salvage batts for projects, but never for eBike main packs. He also trashed a couple of well-engineered products and then suddenly has a competing kit.

Hot water bottle taped on and covered with stretch wrap did well for keeping the battery temp up. This was over the neoprene cover, not directly on the battery. Also the stretchwrap went up andover the cross bar, so there was an air pocket for insulation.
The little battery-powered heating pads can't cope with intense cold even when placed under the neoprene.
Next to make the rice/oatmeal cloth bags for an even better solution, hopefully.

The little battery-powered heating pads can't cope with intense cold even when placed under the neoprene.
It’s difficult to sort a claim like yours when someone else has completely different results. Heating pads work inside my MC vest, inside my handlebar muffs, AND inside my battery insulating cover.
My artist friend Jim in St Paul commutes even on below zero days and the warmers keep his battery warm enough to not lose any power. My winter rides are shorter, but I’m sometimes parking the bike for an hour or two. Again the pads and insulation warm the battery enough to deliver full power.

It’s difficult to sort a claim like yours when someone else has completely different results. Heating pads work inside my MC vest, inside my handlebar muffs, AND inside my battery insulating cover.
My artist friend Jim in St Paul commutes even on below zero days and the warmers keep his battery warm enough to not lose any power. My winter rides are shorter, but I’m sometimes parking the bike for an hour or two. Again the pads and insulation warm the battery enough to deliver full power.
It's true that claims are sometimes difficult to sort, so I'd amend my statement to say something didn't work sufficiently with my heating pads setup.

Do you have battery warmers over your battery warming battery? :)
Is your MC jacket warmer battery inside your jacket?
I bought a new set this year. I have them held in place with a Kevlar sleeve. Then wrapped in an insulating foam blanket. I use a shrink wrapped 48V, 13s 4p, 29E cell rectangle pack. It’s a cheap pack from UPP. It’s my backup battery the rest of the year. 2020 is year 5 I think.

Attachments

• A23DF08C-0C77-41B3-8472-4F6ACA453488.jpeg
    A23DF08C-0C77-41B3-8472-4F6ACA453488.jpeg
    512.4 KB · Views: 345
  • E04E0503-1EDB-4D6C-82AC-DC0CE43F66F0.jpeg
    E04E0503-1EDB-4D6C-82AC-DC0CE43F66F0.jpeg
    449.9 KB · Views: 327
I bought a new set this year. I have them held in place with a Kevlar sleeve. Then wrapped in an insulating foam blanket. I use a shrink wrapped 48V, 13s 4p, 29E cell rectangle pack. It’s a cheap pack from UPP. It’s my backup battery the rest of the year. 2020 is year 5 I think.
Not sure I understand. You are using a 12v 8 cell pack to power the warmer pads, right?

Not sure I understand. You are using a 12v 8 cell pack to power the warmer pads, right?
I can power the pads from the pack with a 5V step down, OR with a warmed power pack. The pads are 5V and my Soshine E3S pack with 4 30q cells puts out 5v.

I do have an old Luna 52v under 7ah that I can stuff in a pocket while I shop. That’s a short trip so it never gets cold enough in a 15 minute ride to sag from the cold.

I buy power pack shells and buy the cells I like. One is powered by recycled NOS laptop cells.
  • Feature:
    - Precision end-of-charge voltage detection
    - Auto-shift function maintains battery in full charge
    - LCD displays for multi-information, voltage, time, charging percentage capacity
    - LCD Backlight will automatic turn off within 60 seconds for saving power
    - Metal plates for charging connection can easy adjust for different length battery cell
    - Can Mix Charging or USB power output For Different Capacity
    - Battery Cell Battery polarity reverse and over charging protection
    - Can replace and charge for 18650 battery
    - Protection: over-discharge, over-charge,over-voltage, over-current, short circuit
    - Rapid charge
  • Capacity: Max 14400mAh (53.28Wh)
  • Battery Type: Lithium-ion 18650 3.7 V
  • Inputs. DC 5V2A
  • Output: DC 5V IA/2.1A
  • Charge Tip: micro USB
  • Self discharge : 2.4mAh /day
  • Case Material: ABS
i have this power pack too, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32256802395.html

Last edited:
Probably the power bank is the problem. The cells are nearly new LG MJ1 and work fine. The heater is the same 8 pad unit that you have. Could be that the MJ1 are not that suitable, but I'd guess the power bank is crap (it's Haweel).

Back