Winter e-biking advices

I just add a little more. Yep, it’s important to take care of your battery in snow temperatures. When the battery gets colder it’s not gonna be able to deliver as much usable energy as it can. Don’t leave it outside, when it’s cold. Don’t charge it, when it’s too cold because it degrades the quality of it.

I ride in snow for about half the year (currently non-electric). I use 1.9" tires but I was wondering if there is an optimal tire size for using in 1 foot of snow on a trails vs 2 inches of snow on the road? Also, are there any premade E-bikes that are made for snow commute? Thanks in advance.

I ride in snow for about half the year (currently non-electric). I use 1.9" tires but I was wondering if there is an optimal tire size for using in 1 foot of snow on a trails vs 2 inches of snow on the road? Also, are there any premade E-bikes that are made for snow commute? Thanks in advance.
Rather than simple search expertise take a look at https://electricbike-blog.com
Kinda Luna centric, but Karl has been snow riding for more years than most and has quite a collection of bikes. Probably one of the best sites for fatty snow bikes!

Also this one has 1000W and 1500W versions

You linked the 3 video's that inspired one of my summer projects and added a 4th (thank you) - I'm building out a 2WD Pugsley for this winter and the idea came from my RWD winter riding last year leading me to these videos. :)

I will share this winter my experience between my RWD (hub) setup and my new 2WD Pugsley I hope to have built and tuned by then.

Thanks Timpo.

How did you find the 1.9" tires in snow? I ask because I did try for fun my 2.2" tires last winter for a few rides out - only where there was some 'road' to work with and basically packed snow did I find the ride enjoyable and didn't have to worry (as much) about the front tire sliding out sideways...

From my limited experience you will want 3.8" to 5.0" (or more if they come out someday) tires that you can air down to 8-10psi to be able to ride in various type and depth of snow up to a foot deep (which is ambitious but can be done).

Any snow depth above 6" deep of sloppy/wet stuff and 10-12" of the light 'just fallen fresh' stuff starts the conversation of 2WD versus RWD.

I have a buddy who last year upgraded his non-e fat bike to a 350 watt front wheel hub - he's quite fit and could deliver all the power he needed to the rear wheel so instead of adding the motor power to the rear wheel as well, he added it just to the front wheel (PAS and thumb throttle) to help keep the front wheel 'turning' in the deeper snow - and he loved it.

Cheers

How did you find the 1.9" tires in snow? I ask because I did try for fun my 2.2" tires last winter for a few rides out - only where there was some 'road' to work with and basically packed snow did I find the ride enjoyable and didn't have to worry (as much) about the front tire sliding out sideways...

From my limited experience you will want 3.8" to 5.0" (or more if they come out someday) tires that you can air down to 8-10psi to be able to ride in various type and depth of snow up to a foot deep (which is ambitious but can be done).

Any snow depth above 6" deep of sloppy/wet stuff and 10-12" of the light 'just fallen fresh' stuff starts the conversation of 2WD versus RWD.

I have a buddy who last year upgraded his non-e fat bike to a 350 watt front wheel hub - he's quite fit and could deliver all the power he needed to the rear wheel so instead of adding the motor power to the rear wheel as well, he added it just to the front wheel (PAS and thumb throttle) to help keep the front wheel 'turning' in the deeper snow - and he loved it.

Cheers
I'm sorry, but my approach to riding in the snow is the Florida keys...😎

I'm sorry, but my approach to riding in the snow is the Florida keys...😎

In years past I have looked into working remotely from 1-3 months in Florida, a nice short term rental or AirBNB, driving down with one of my summer bikes on the carrier. I may get to do that as planned some...year...when the world sorts itself out with everything that has happened/is happening this year.

In years past I have looked into working remotely from 1-3 months in Florida, a nice short term rental or AirBNB, driving down with one of my summer bikes on the carrier. I may get to do that as planned some...year...when the world sorts itself out with everything that has happened/is happening this year.
Keep the dream alive my friend.

How did you find the 1.9" tires in snow?
When the road is frozen, at 2" (fresh fallen) snow you start to notice a bit of resistance and it takes more effort to pedal but still ridable. At 3" on even ground road I just can't seem to pedal more than 10 feet with out the rear tire sliding. I was kinda wondering if E-bikes can just plow though snow easier or if I would need 3-4" tires at some point.

When the road is frozen, at 2" (fresh fallen) snow you start to notice a bit of resistance and it takes more effort to pedal but still ridable. At 3" on even ground road I just can't seem to pedal more than 10 feet with out the rear tire sliding. I was kinda wondering if E-bikes can just plow though snow easier or if I would need 3-4" tires at some point.
NO Ebikes are a recipe for trouble in the snow. I have a set of studded tires on my acoustic bike and I ride that bike now is when it freezes or snows and park the ebikes.

From my limited experience last year I can answer your question. My KHS is a rear hub and runs on 4.8" fatties with minimal tread running at 6-8 psi. In snow up to 3-4" the only challenge is, like you experience - getting rolling - but once I'm up and moving (takes about 3-4ft, with a motor of course is a world of difference) the big tires somewhat 'float' on/over the snow. Note I come in around 350lbs total weight of rider/bike/motor/battery so floating is not as much an option, lol.

Anything deeper than 4" can be challenging and like the skinnier tires, the front sliding out versus starting to roll can be a problem.

My second winter fatty is a Surly Pugsley with 3.8" Nate tires. These tires remind me of tractor tires with so much tread. They are able to dig into the snow a lot better and power through, it's what they are known for. I still struggled on anything deeper than 5-6" of wet snow and 10-12" of fluffy snow - mostly the front wheel of course.

This summer one of my projects is taking off the RWD hub motor (Bionx) and installing my own 2WD setup. A couple 9C's 212 size motors (Pugsley has a 135mm front axle which is a bit of a bonus), couple phaserunner controllers and a just released this year - dual controller cable for Grin's Cycle Analyst. This will allow me to have a bottom bracket torque sensor (vs a PAS) connected to the CA and then signalling the two controllers/motors.

My hope is the 2WD setup, based on videos I have seen and general common sense of the setup, will make deeper snow riding possible and well, frankly more fun for me this winter.

And final note, as Steve just above mentioned, studs look like they help a lot. Ultimately I could end up with Studded Nate Tires (front and back) with 2WD connected to a torque sensor this winter.

I will update when the times comes!

Personally, if I were to build, I'd go to ebikes.ca and do a bike with 2WD. BUT the Wattwagon fatbike has the power to plow through snow. On a budget a 2wd build from ebikes.ca and their hub motors would rock! I did a 2wd MAC but it was more than I needed, I only ride after streets are plowed!

Personally, if I were to build, I'd go to ebikes.ca and do a bike with 2WD. BUT the Wattwagon fatbike has the power to plow through snow. On a budget a 2wd build from ebikes.ca and their hub motors would rock! I did a 2wd MAC but it was more than I needed, I only ride after streets are plowed!
My 2 x 9C RH212 STD motors from ebikes.ca came in last week. Just waiting for them to be laced into my rims by my LBS. 2 phaserunners, Justin's latest creation - the CA to Dual Controller cable - all in a box beside me ready to go on my Surly Pugsley with 3.8 Nates tires.

Great minds think alike? :)

Only piece left, waiting for next winter to try out my current Nates in 2WD mode first, is going studded Nates or not. :)

Will upload photos when built and running. Looking forward to taking it out on some rugged dirt trails/hills in my area this summer as a warm up for the winter. :D

Cheers

My 2 x 9C RH212 STD motors from ebikes.ca came in last week. Just waiting for them to be laced into my rims by my LBS. 2 phaserunners, Justin's latest creation - the CA to Dual Controller cable - all in a box beside me ready to go on my Surly Pugsley with 3.8 Nates tires.

Great minds think alike? :)

Only piece left, waiting for next winter to try out my current Nates in 2WD mode first, is going studded Nates or not. :)

Will upload photos when built and running. Looking forward to taking it out on some rugged dirt trails/hills in my area this summer as a warm up for the winter. :D

Cheers
Good on you. I support Bafang BBSxx series but ride with ebikes.ca baserunners, CA3 displays, and use a Grinspector battery test station. Justin rocks. It's hard to find real 9C motors. Again ebikes.ca rocks! I have 6 or so CA2 and CA3. Rather than depend on Bafang displays for crap data I use a shunt and CA3 when setting up my BBSHD motors to get reall data. I'd not trade my Satiator for 10 other chargers!

Good on you. I support Bafang BBSxx series but ride with ebikes.ca baserunners, CA3 displays, and use a Grinspector battery test station. Justin rocks. It's hard to find real 9C motors. Again ebikes.ca rocks! I have 6 or so CA2 and CA3. Rather than depend on Bafang displays for crap data I use a shunt and CA3 when setting up my BBSHD motors to get reall data. I'd not trade my Satiator for 10 other chargers!
These guys have had this model for a few years now. I always wondered what it would be like to ride. https://motorino.ca/motorino-mtgx2

I just unboxed today my first Satiator. I went with the 5amp/100V model, even though I'm only starting out with 52V configurations - just to be sure I have flexibility for any projects in the future I may take on. :) I look forward to sharing with you my experience once I get to build out my two projects that are from ebikes.ca's inventory of offerings.

Cheers bud!

Back