Winter e-biking advices

It's that time of year again... take a look at this timely video for some tips on winter prep. ;)
What does a British know about winter... :) Does it ever snow in England?
P.S. Not sure about Scotland. @RabH: does it snow in Scotland? Any serious frost in the winter-time? (But Chris in the video doesn't look Scottish to me...)

Last edited:
Good on you. I support Bafang BBSxx series but ride with ebikes.ca baserunners, CA3 displays, and use a Grinspector battery test station. Justin rocks. It's hard to find real 9C motors. Again ebikes.ca rocks! I have 6 or so CA2 and CA3. Rather than depend on Bafang displays for crap data I use a shunt and CA3 when setting up my BBSHD motors to get reall data. I'd not trade my Satiator for 10 other chargers!
I would be interested in hearing more about using BBSxx motors with the phaserunners and CA3. I played with a BBS02 a year or two back and hated the PAS even when I modified the Bafang settings. I have also ridden a friends BBSHD and came to the same conclusion. Personally I never liked the fact that the BBSxx motors tapered off power as you increased cadence(seemed opposite to what 'I think' I want) but saw that with the CA3, you could make the BBSxx produce more power with higher cadence.

Curious if you have tried that and what you thought.

The frame for the GMAC build, Im documenting in the DIY section was selected so I could put on a BBSxx with minimal spacers possibly at a later date.

If you asked @Thomas Jaszewski (or read this thread carefully), you would learn you better didn't ride e-bike below 19 F :)
P.S. Above 20 F, it is better to pedal to generate more body heat :)

I would be interested in hearing more about using BBSxx motors with the phaserunners and CA3. I played with a BBS02 a year or two back and hated the PAS even when I modified the Bafang settings. I have also ridden a friends BBSHD and came to the same conclusion. Personally I never liked the fact that the BBSxx motors tapered off power as you increased cadence(seemed opposite to what 'I think' I want) but saw that with the CA3, you could make the BBSxx produce more power with higher cadence.

Curious if you have tried that and what you thought.

The frame for the GMAC build, Im documenting in the DIY section was selected so I could put on a BBSxx with minimal spacers possibly at a later date.
I have all the needed bits to have done the external controller but it reduces reliability IME and IMO.

nothing for me to do but change from yellow rock and roll to blue. the only time I cant ride is if there is ice or snow on the ground.

Nice video discussing many winter glove options

Picked up a pair of Adidas running gloves that work well for biking. Thinsulate insulation, thin profile, sticky underside of fingers/thumb advertised as easy to use w/cellphone, and works well for good grip on handlebar. I have worn them a few times in <50 F temperatures but not anything colder than that yet. They don't have gathered wrists but fit snugly just past the wristbone. My warm weather gloves are fingerless weight-lifting gloves that are slightly padded.

$15.00 at Costco.

Picked up a pair of Adidas running gloves that work well for biking. Thinsulate insulation, thin profile, sticky underside of fingers/thumb advertised as easy to use w/cellphone, and works well for good grip on handlebar.
I have worn them a few times in <50 F temperatures but not anything colder than that yet. They don't have gathered wrists but fit snugly just past the wristbone. My warm weather gloves are fingerless weight-lifting gloves that are slightly padded.

$15.00 at Costco.
Another coincidence... I picked up the same pair at Costco along with a Balaclava. ;)

Sorry, apparently Im lost, whats the 'ULTIMATE' winter setup :eek: :eek:, Its 5F outside right now, HELP ME. Are throttles better in cold weather:rolleyes:
I think there are more variables in play besides temperature for the ultimate cold weather setup.
If you are cycling through deep snow then a fat tire is good.
If you are cycling on slick ice then thinner tires with studs might be better.
In terms of keeping warm you will need less clothing if you are pedaling and more if you are using throttle only.
You might want to use throttle only if there is increased falling risk, so that you can concentrate on staying upright.
Especially if there is a significant risk of falling then I recommend having a hard armor layer; it will also keep you warm.
I also recommend a full helmet; some snowmobile helmets have face masks to redirect breathing away from your glasses/visor, but you could also experiment with painting masks or a snorkel if fogging is a problem.
Heated gloves and socks are an option for chilly fingers and toes; Savior makes an armored heated cycling glove.

This week, I picked up a pair of Bontrager Velocis Waterproof Winter Cycling Gloves. And today, I gave my first one-star review ever. They were horrible on my ride in borderline rain/snow conditions today, with temperatures at 3C/37F. My fingers were cold within 1/2 hour and remained so for the duration of a 2 hour ride (with 3 stops to warm my hands under my fleece. My hands actually felt warmer when I took the gloves off). Indoors, more than 6 hours after my ride, they are still cold, wet and clammy. Called my Trek dealer, and they will refund, which I am happy about.
Update: I did return and exchange these gloves for a pair of Bontragers with 4x the Thinsulate value and the ability to put a heat pack into a zippered pocket on the back. They were on sale, so the exchange cost me only $5 and change. Have to say, my Trek shop is excellent.
Now also looking at a pair of Mammut Goretex lobster-style gloves for really cold wet weather. As a sailor on the Great Lakes I am a big fan of Goretex!

Last edited:
First time ride today with some new gloves. It was cooler, about 3C when I started but quite nice when I finished at 13C. New gloves are from a company called 100% and the model is Brisker. According to sales guy at LBS, they are quite popular with the PNW crowd. My hands were very comfortable and the controls were easy to operate.

My only problem was the "touch sensitive finger tip" didn't work for me very well. But that's normal unless you can get a perfect fit, which I can't. My hands are wide, but with short fingers. My golf glove dozing is a medium cadet, but that type of sizing doesn't appear to be available at the shops I frequent.

Not a big deal, I think they'll perform adequately for my needs.

I just want to tell you Randall the company called 100percent is well-known in the sports gear business. I use very nice goggles from them.

Although nothing related to e-bikes, their batteries, chargers, parts, tools or most of accessories was lost in this year's fire of my house, I lost some vital clothing items, such as the winter helmet, two pairs of goggles, and several balaclavas. Now, I started buying winter related stuff again.

1631857780388.png

The lightweight Cairn I-Brid snowboarding helmet seems to be unavailable nowadays. I replaced it with UVEX P1us ski helmet. Fortunately, a pair of excellent 100% Accuri OTG Tornado goggles survived the fire, and they perfectly match the new helmet. The new helmet is heavier than the old one but it is very warm and it fits my head perfectly.

I was considering a visor equipped helmet. However, I could not be sure whether a skiing visor would ensure as good visibility as proven large clear goggles, so I went with a plain helmet.

1631858210969.png

I'm loyal to the domestic Rebelhorn brand of motorbike balaclavas. They make varieties for freezing and moderate temps. I have bought both versions. Here, the moderate temp version. I like these balaclavas as these are breathable and don't absorb the breath moisture.

Last edited:
Seeing as this thread has been kicked to life, I agree with having goggles. I am also a fan of studded tyres. Yes, I have experienced the difference.

I recently got a new eBike, replacing the one I had been using, and one of the things I checked before purchasing was the availability of studded tyres. In the past, I had trouble finding any road tyres with studs for the 27.5 size. I found that they are now available from Schwalbe.

I already ordered in case there is a winter rush on them. Of course, I have not put them on yet, they will go on about the middle of November. If it ever becomes available, I will probably order their tyre stud inserter and add a few more studs. That said, from experience, I consider studded tyres to be essential.

Of course, that is in addition to lobster claw gloves, goggles, and the like.

Back