Winter e-biking advices

I’m considering trying my prescription scuba diving goggles that I keep on my sailboat for the summer, for winter biking in snowfall. If they work, I wouldn’t need to wear my glasses under them.
I've heard Rudy Project makes big prescription cycling glasses that act as a visor; and that such glasses are improbably expensive.

I’ve passed the 45NRTH Wrathchilds on to my brother-in-law and have had these puppies tucked away for several months in anticipation of the upcoming winter riding season.
IMG_20210917_0859184.jpg

I’ve passed the 45NRTH Wrathchilds on to my brother-in-law and have had these puppies tucked away for several months in anticipation of the upcoming winter riding season.
View attachment 100259
I've donated the 27.5x2.6" Schwalbe Ice Spikers Pro to my brother as well! The coming winter would be the first one during which he intends to commute on my former Trance E+ 2 Pro. Jacek has embraced the idea of riding e-bike totally, as he found he comes to work faster with his Trance than he could do it with his car, and he does not come sweaty there.

Last edited:
Pffffft ... that's only a few inches of snow with some good wind behind it (you can still see what's in the field). Call me when everything to the horizon is white and the parked cars are just a subtle white lumps. 😁
I understand that @mclewis1 :) (The blizzard was just starting to build up in the video...)

1631906719994.png

I was not riding when we had that kind of weather...

And I don't ride when Poland gets -25 or -30 C either. Now, let me ask you a question:
Do you ride when you are getting so much snow as you've just shown?

I understand that @mclewis1 :) (The blizzard was just starting to build up in the video...)

I was not riding when we had that kind of weather...

And I don't ride when Poland gets -25 or -30 C either. Now, let me ask you a question:
Do you ride when you are getting so much snow as you've just shown?
We weren't discussing riding and I'm not going to get into the infantile "mine is bigger than yours", or I can ride in 6cm/6in/6ft, or whatever.

Your comment "... Poland can experience hard winters too" was the reason I posted my somewhat humorous and satirical response ... and IMHO that's just not a picture of a "hard winter", just some temporarily annoying local conditions.

The picture of the stupid amount of snow I posted is a fairly famous one from the 2020 blizzard in St. John's Newfoundland. Similar conditions occur at some point during most winters somewhere in the Maritime provinces (because of additional moisture from the Atlantic ocean), or more occasionally really just about anywhere else in southern Canada (well ok maybe not Victoria BC ;)).

Pffffft ... that's only a few inches of snow with some good wind behind it (you can still see what's in the field)
[...]and I'm not going to get into the infantile "mine is bigger than yours"
Not? How odd.

I said Poland was neither Minnesota nor Canada, did I?
P.S. It would be good if you could show me your Strava, thank you. Because this thread is all about riding. Winter riding, specifically.

Last edited:
@mclewis1 - Maritimers are used to snow and are a hearty bunch. 👍I pity those poor souls who have no choice but to park their cars out front on the street. I've traveled to the Rock but only during the summer. Hard to imagine what it's like to deal with that much snow. Here out west we get our fair share of snow and bone numbing cold but over the past several years I’ve only been forced to bring out the snowblower from the shed less than a handful of times. Might have to look at selling it at as a global warming special. ;)

P.S. It would be good if you could show me your Strava, thank you. Because this thread is all about riding. Winter riding, specifically.
Strava? don't have one of those (yes I know what it is). I've posted many times in this or similar winter riding threads but if it's really important to you about my winter riding please open your favourite maps, look at Fredericton NB, Toronto ON, and Boulder CO and draw a 50km circle around each one. Fredericton is now assisted riding, Toronto and Boulder were pre ebikes from the late 80s to 2010. Now consider living in each of those locations without a car.

If you want to know what my favourite non winter rides were (when I was in better shape - I'd love to try these on an ebike today), have a look at the 100+km route from Frisco CO, Copper Mountain, over Vail pass, Vail, Avon, Eagle, and Gypsum (and for bonus points the addition 40k into Glenwood Springs through the spectacular Glenwood Canyon). Or for even more "fun" the 60+km route on US82 starting at US24, over the awesome Independence pass (~3800m), and down into Aspen CO.

I'll be running my ice spiker pros again this year .He should find them to be very nice but grab some extra spikes and install tool(the 45north studs work fine) I did the break in mile and only need two studs all season. I recommend doing the break in as they state.

I'll be running my ice spiker pros again this year .He should find them to be very nice but grab some extra spikes and install tool(the 45north studs work fine) I did the break in mile and only need two studs all season. I recommend doing the break in as they state.
No question the break in process is important to any studded tires, and likely especially so for the aggressive studs/spikes on the Ice Spikers.
What kind of surfaces did you generally ride on last year (asphalt, ice, packed snow, loose/fresh snow, brown sugar, etc.)?

In my case it's mostly packed snow, ice, and asphalt, with some brown sugar and only occasionally fresh snow.

No question the break in process is important to any studded tires, and likely especially so for the aggressive studs/spikes on the Ice Spikers.
What kind of surfaces did you generally ride on last year (asphalt, ice, packed snow, loose/fresh snow, brown sugar, etc.)?

In my case it's mostly packed snow, ice, and asphalt, with some brown sugar and only occasionally fresh snow.
It was all road 6 days a week northern N.H. so snow and ice. It was not uncommon for it to before it was plowed.

That very much reminds me of the opening scene to the movie "Fargo"!
Loved that movie, both versions!

You see, Mike: Everybody has heard of Canadian winters. I hear there are many truly winter regions of the Unites States (and both countries are immense!) Before climate change (whatever) Poland used to be a true winter country, too. We're just a far smaller country. Yet, snowfalls and severe frost do happen in Poland. The winter temperature could be as low as -13 or - 22 F, and I feel lucky when that doesn't happen.

For some entertainment: a Polish meme Winter video. You're going to watch that! :D

Hey Art, what size are they and where did you score them from. My brother has caught the bug and his Talon has 29x2.4
Hi Randall. I scored mine on Pinkbike for around $200/pr. Size is 29 x 2.25.

Just came across these ones if he's still has the bug.

Last edited:
Back