Winter e-biking advices

$179 each. Ouch.
Get 2 for $5 less c/w delivery and all duties etc... from Chain Reaction.

I am becoming pretty disenchanted with a lot of retailers lately.
Even Amazon has some pretty wacked pricing on some stuff - I'm seeing some bike stuff @ 4 or 5 times what they should be.

Signs of the times I guess.
Agreed, We're all seeing nasty examples. On the other hand I just completed a sweet road/gravel bike build (using a Surly CrossCheck) with a kit from Grin Technologies that I got 15% off of (a labour day discount). That took care of the GST ... sigh.

$179 each. Ouch.
Get 2 for $5 less c/w delivery and all duties etc... from Chain Reaction.

I am becoming pretty disenchanted with a lot of retailers lately.
Even Amazon has some pretty wacked pricing on some stuff - I'm seeing some bike stuff @ 4 or 5 times what they should be.

Signs of the times I guess.
Oops, my bad. Sorry Randall, I thought the ad was for a pair. 😦

Oops, my bad. Sorry Randall, I thought the ad was for a pair. 😦
No need to apologize - when I first looked I thought it was too.
Reminds me of when I was shopping for mine - my LBS had some as well, and they were even more expensive than that.

I really, really try to support local, but sometimes they need to support local shoppers a bit better too. It's not easy - I know. But on some products they can't be for some reason or another. To be honest, I don't know how some of bike shops can stay open as they often have nothing to sell. No bikes, no parts and without parts it's becoming harder and harder to get repairs done. I had a leaking right brake lever (probably from a sudden impact...yes - those happen and it was a doozie) and I couldn't find one anywhere other than eBay. But it was one of those ones where I might not see the part for 2 months. I went on Pinkbike (checked here first) and found a new set of Deore brakes locally for about half the price I was seeing at some retailers (who didn't have stock anyways).

So I now have upgraded brakes and a spare front setup. When the other lever arrives from Shimano (they are warrantying it), I'll have a full back-up. And now I also have the tools and materials to do my own bleeds (other than my own body that is). I re-used the existing internally routed hose for the rear for now and had to bleed the rear. I intend to install a new internally routed dropper post soon, and only want to drop the motor once to route any new hoses and cables. YouTube can help with most anything!

This is my first winter commuting via bike and the cold weather is starting to set in. So far it's been fun battling the elements and trying to figure out how to be comfortable. I prefer cold weather over hot weather, as with the cold weather you can plan and dress appropriately. So far, my biggest issue is cold to the face which i have never had to deal with. I used to be an outdoor military event photographer by trade and had to shoot in all kinds of conditions, and i had to get the shots without any retakes, so i feel like bike commuting preparedness is very similar. But the wind while going over 20mph i have never had to deal with. I ordered a few Balaclavas which will come today and i can't wait to test them. Cold feet has not been an issue yet, but i bought some merino wool socks also. Lastly i am using 2 pairs of gloves, a cheap 7-eleven type knit gloves that allow for phone touch screen use, along with my summer gloves that have the finger tips cut off. It's working for now but i feel like i need to upgrade my gloves for sure. Anyone have any semi cheap amazon glove suggestions?

Also anyone experience very dry hands? I have hand eczema (untreated) and working on the bikes and riding them just tears up my hands. Lots of minor cuts and i have to wear latex gloves with cream to let them heal. Today i wore the latex gloves with cream, followed by my 2 other gloves and i had a bit of hand sweat but not too bad.

Back