Winter e-biking advices

Probably the power bank is the problem. The cells are nearly new LG MJ1 and work fine. The heater is the same 8 pad unit that you have. Could be that the MJ1 are not that suitable, but I'd guess the power bank is crap (it's Haweel).
I've found Soshine products to be much better than average and used their case E3S to make a 4 30Q cell power pack.
I have a small single cell 18650 charger, and a 9V LiFePo4 charger with two batteries from them. Their "official store" on Aliexpress has been great. I went to the flashlight forums to find a 4 cell charger and based on reviews got an XTAR lithium charger. I do sometimes use my 1010B charger to balance my power pack cells. It worked out great. I can do up to 8 cells.

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 11.37.41 AM.png

Here's some great discounted Made in America products some of you Yanks might want to grab. Free shipping, and to Canuckistan shipping is free for over $100 purchase

Look at what this $70 reduced to $7 t-shirt features. Long length, great for riders, silver antimicrobial treatment.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
  • Lightweight Performance First or Second Layer – 4.0 oz
  • Regular/Relaxed Fit
  • 100% Acclimate Advanced Cooling Polyester - Perspiration activated. Refreshing feeling up to 4° degrees
  • Insect Shield Technology - Repels Mosquitoes, Ticks, Flies and more!
  • Superior Acclimate Dry Moisture Management
  • Ag47 Anti-Microbial Protection
  • Rolled Shoulders and Under Arm Gussets - Increased Mobility / Reduced Irritation
  • Clean Seam Next-To-Skin Comfort, Extra Length (Body), Durable, Breathable & Won’t Shrink
  • 100% USA Made & Berry Compliant!!!
The $4 ones are a deal as well.
  • Lightweight Performance First or Second Layer – 4.0 oz
  • Regular/Relaxed Fit
  • 100% Acclimate Dry Polyester
  • UPF (Sun Protection) Rating - 35+
  • Superior Acclimate Dry Moisture Management
  • Ag47 Anti-Microbial Protection
  • Rolled Shoulders and Under Arm Gussets - Increased Mobility / Reduced Irritation
  • Clean Seam Next-To-Skin Comfort, Extra Length (Body), Durable, Breathable & Won’t Shrink
  • 100% USA Made & Berry Compliant!!!

Balaclava deals $10 one piece and $13 two piece, $21 for a big cowl balacava https://www.proxgo.com/collections/xgo-performance-accessories

Helmet caps there too.

Attachments

• 4P54B-9_SAND_8109840e-e4e8-4380-be47-d3ef05d1d6f9_540x.png
    4P54B-9_SAND_8109840e-e4e8-4380-be47-d3ef05d1d6f9_540x.png
    161.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
I put some studded Schwalbe marthon winter plus tires on( It a non ebike but concept is the same) I have a short 5 mile commute to work and will be riding snow, sleet,and rain at times. So I plan on kept them aired to max when it's not slippery then air down when needed. Given that they don't have studs in the center this should work very well. If your in area that has regular snow I would recommend putting them on for the season and air them up or down as appossed to having a seperate bike for those days or swapping rims. I Know some of u won't ride on those days but.....where's the fun in that😄

I must have this product! :D Where did you get it from?! And is there a dog version?
Amazon has them, Aliexpress is half the Amazon price with the same slow shipping from China. Many cool dog faces too!

Attachments

• FFDFEEC2-C220-456C-BC8F-82D48F2F0D9A.png
    FFDFEEC2-C220-456C-BC8F-82D48F2F0D9A.png
    2 MB · Views: 415
  • 558010B6-EA82-4900-B3D0-BDA7B310B540.png
    558010B6-EA82-4900-B3D0-BDA7B310B540.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 423
I've found Soshine products to be much better than average
I'm getting one of these Soshine flashlights to DIY into a bike light
No way I'm paying $100 for a light. I like the $11 USD price range and put my own 18650 battery in it.

Last edited:
I'm getting one of these Soshine flashlights to DIY into a bike light
No way I'm paying $100 for a light. I like the $11 USD price range and put my own 18650 battery in it.
I have a nice Roxim $80 StVZO headlamp, and just got a $12 StVZO from an Aliexpress store. Not a lot of difference, but the cheap led's often overheated and crap out. It's a coin toss but lately, I've hit some low price winners. Looking forward to your review!

Hi Friends,

I woke up from winter lethargy and having had learnt I also suffer from diabetes (the easier form) I decided I needed some physical activity. Hence, the first 2020 ride. Thanks to your advices, I had a comfortable and safe trip, also after the sunset. Luckily, no snow yet and temperatures above the freezing point!

Last edited:
Hi Friends,

I woke up from winter lethargy and having had learnt I also suffer from diabetes (the easier form) I decided I needed some physical activity. Hence, the first 2020 ride. Thanks to your advices, I had a comfortable and safe trip, also after sunset. Luckily, no snow yet and temperatures above the freezing point!

View attachment 43908

Congrats! Glad to hear you got out on the bike and had a good experience. :D

A new buy. "Arctic" CHIBA Super Reflect gloves. They are very warm, the outer lining being Softshell and the insulation of PrimaLoft. Accompanying are chemical hand-warmers. I think I would rather use the warmers for toes as it is my main problem. What do you think?

1579856082072.png

One of the best buys of this winter! Thanks to @antboy's advice, I bought a pair of electrically heated socks. My blood circulation problems won't spoil my winter rides anymore! These specific socks are from http://www.glovii.com
Sorry for the photo quality.
[...]

Cool idea! Or should I say, warm idea? ;) Those look like some decent gloves too. How are they for shifting with?

On wet days I use Fizik Artica X5 waterproof winter shoes, because they keep me reasonably warm and very dry.

On cold days I use Endura Hummvee waterproof socks, not because I need the waterproofing (the shoes take care of that, after all), but because they're also very warm.

I use Endura Luminite rain pants, and they're really fabulous. No link as it's been replaced by a newer version than the one I wear.

I wear a variety of waterproof jackets, but most commonly a now-discontinued model from Mace.

I wear a variety of winter gloves, but most recently the Shimano Gore Tex Winter Glove as they're good quality and very inexpensive ($50 Canadian, so perhaps $35-40 U.S.?), but they're missing some common features like extensive reflectivity and a sweat/snot wipe area.

I wear an Evo balaclava, but it's probably time to upgrade to something nicer like the Matrix 2.0 from Louis Garneau! :)

The coup de grace is my Bell Star Pro helmet, with vents that can be closed for winter riding thanks to the lever on the top, and its Transitions face shield! It was a very expensive helmet initially, but Bell has discontinued it so it's possible to find it on sale now. If I tuck the balaclava right up to the bottom of the face shield, then no part of my body is exposed when riding. :D

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 18.59.44.png

Thank you foofedoggie again! I must add the battery pockets are very deep and the battery should be hidden in the pocket totally. The photo was just a demo. Will try them on today's ride. Fooferdoggie, unluckily yours don't ship to Poland...

MD, the integrated visor is a fine idea. I only wonder how that would work with optical glasses.

Back