Winter e-biking advices

You work on an e-bike 6-8 hours a day, 6-7 days a week, and this is your third winter doing this? I'm not worthy! Thank you for the comprehensive post, it's appreciated. Keep it coming!

Out here on the wet coast it's a little different. Cycling-specific clothing is the order of the day because breathability is more important than insulation. And it's a wetter cold, so my hands are almost always colder than they ought to be (meaning, gloves that say they're good down to -10C will struggle even in the 0-5C range. So it is really interesting to read about your experience in Toronto and how different it is!

Hmmm... Uber Eats by e-bike? How is that? That might be as fast or faster than doing it by car, and you probably save time on the parking side as you can ride right up to near the doors of both the restaurants and the people you're delivering to. Plus you'll be slowed down by traffic less than cars. Genius! Hard core when it comes to the winter, but nonetheless genius!
Yes, I make good money doing this, never less than $20CAD an hour, more often than not $50 an hour during peak times. Lots of guys have been on the road out here doing the same thing, it's a sweet spot in a city with way too much money to spend. It's condo hell downtown with no close or friendly pedestrian areas so people become prisoners of their apartments. It's sad but hey, they have the money to spend... And you're right! The time it takes me to pick up and drop off gets me at least 5 or 6 more deliveries per 8hr shift, traffic is insane and by the time a driver has parked I'm already halfway to my drop-off point. I do hustle my butt through and rarely take breaks longer than the time if takes to stuff a sandwich in my face or drink some water, it's definitely not a cozy of comfortable job by any means. I do take a hiatus usually between 3 and 4 or 5pm, that's when I swap out batteries. Typical day: Drop my daughter off at school, on the road at 9 or 10am, work til 3pm, go to my crib and swap batteries, old one is now charging, eat something, back on the road by 5pm and work til about 8 or 9pm (if the money is good). And again: I have 2 kids to feed and this is the best way I have found to make the most income in exchange for quality of life. But it's definitely not for everyone! Rough streets, bad weather, crazy drivers and rude/aloof customers are all setbacks. I used to be a traditional bike courier before this on a road bike before doing Uber, that's when I bought my Stromer. So I've been a professional bike rider if you will for about 5 years now. And like that other article posted states, it's not that different or hard riding in winter, you just have to identify your gear related needs and take more care on the roads. Final thing!!! There are guys here that work as much as I do on regular/analogue bikes, they are infinitely more worthy of your praise than I! Cheers!

Yes, I make good money doing this, never less than $20CAD an hour, more often than not $50 an hour during peak times. Lots of guys have been on the road out here doing the same thing, it's a sweet spot in a city with way too much money to spend. It's condo hell downtown with no close or friendly pedestrian areas so people become prisoners of their apartments. It's sad but hey, they have the money to spend... And you're right! The time it takes me to pick up and drop off gets me at least 5 or 6 more deliveries per 8hr shift, traffic is insane and by the time a driver has parked I'm already halfway to my drop-off point. I do hustle my butt through and rarely take breaks longer than the time if takes to stuff a sandwich in my face or drink some water, it's definitely not a cozy of comfortable job by any means. I do take a hiatus usually between 3 and 4 or 5pm, that's when I swap out batteries. Typical day: Drop my daughter off at school, on the road at 9 or 10am, work til 3pm, go to my crib and swap batteries, old one is now charging, eat something, back on the road by 5pm and work til about 8 or 9pm (if the money is good). And again: I have 2 kids to feed and this is the best way I have found to make the most income in exchange for quality of life. But it's definitely not for everyone! Rough streets, bad weather, crazy drivers and rude/aloof customers are all setbacks. I used to be a traditional bike courier before this on a road bike before doing Uber, that's when I bought my Stromer. So I've been a professional bike rider if you will for about 5 years now. And like that other article posted states, it's not that different or hard riding in winter, you just have to identify your gear related needs and take more care on the roads. Final thing!!! There are guys here that work as much as I do on regular/analogue bikes, they are infinitely more worthy of your praise than I! Cheers!
How do you lock up your bike when making a call? Do you always lock the bike to a fixed object?

interesting thread, my first e-bike (turbo Levo) has me wanting to ride every day (minus 15 to 20 celcius now in Western Canada) and now that I am mostly retired I can do that, my regular mtn bike would have been tucked away for the season by now, the biggest thing is the wind, actually a slight breeze at these temps gets you to take notice, and like others on this thread I find biking can get more chilly than skiing (and even ice fishing) in the breeze; I usually plan out a square plot of sorts to ride and like to start heading out into the wind to start and get it over with and enjoy the final 3/4's of the ride; must be old age but I just can't find a glove that will work usually end up curling my fingers inside so I just ride with heavy duty mitts, crappy for shifting but on an e-bike not the end of the world; I put on the widest platform pedal available and they handle my snow-pac lined boots just fine; the balacava and glasses like others here is a problem but once out of the wind, put the glasses back on and roll down the liner; never thought of trying the goggles, will do that tomorrow

Or just slap some cheapo hand/foot warmers around it.

Thanks!
Not if you want heat for any extended ride. To lazy to put the studded tire on today so no heat worries. UPP covers came. Zero insulation. But I’m gluing in the new heating pads, making them useful. I decided Salvage batteries for an independent power supply.

Another one for the windy weather .
Wynd makes this ones. Only 20$. Great Polarized copper plastic lenses . Good quality not Oakley quality for the rims/frame but definitely Oakley quality for the lenses. Much , much better then the cheap 10 or 15$ sunglasses on Amazon.

The rubber inserts are very comfortable and soft, a great feeling wearing this ones on , it gives the feeling of being very protected from the elements !

They come with A black googles strap, the rims have a small knob that when pressed , they come out and can strap them with the googles strap. .

Attachments

• D9A1C498-FACA-4F6E-82EC-8B8ED5254B0A.jpeg
    D9A1C498-FACA-4F6E-82EC-8B8ED5254B0A.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 388
  • DCC09A9D-3E92-4656-BC50-EB6B8F4EF28D.jpeg
    DCC09A9D-3E92-4656-BC50-EB6B8F4EF28D.jpeg
    337.6 KB · Views: 367
  • B532DDB3-0FFD-418E-88C6-0C19135035AA.jpeg
    B532DDB3-0FFD-418E-88C6-0C19135035AA.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
After trial (motorcycle helmet) and error (fogging in cold) and cool looking gloves that weren’t warm enough, skull caps, etc, this is my main winter gear (other than just a warm coat):

This helmet:
Keeps the wind off the face and head warm...

509 Tactical Helmet (Black Ops -... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYP3RMT?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

These goggles (lenses can be swapped):
For with the helmet to keep wind out of eyes and faced when paired with helmet above...
509 Kingpin Goggle (Locked in) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K8XMXCK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_l0B8DbRNT7665

This mask:
Keeps cold wind off the chin (and lips). Only necessary on the really cold days as the helmet above does a good job on the merely cold days...

ZANheadgear WNFM114H Black Neoprene Half Face Mask https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LVZVNE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_l1B8DbFJ333A2

These gloves:
They may not look like much, but they’re super warm in extreme cold and good for gripping the handlebars...

OZERO Deerskin Suede Leather Palm and Polar Fleece Back with Heatlok Insulated Cotton Layer Thermal Gloves, X-Large - Denim-Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H6DC3QC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Y1B8DbRFBGHSE

Fenders are great to keep snow/slush off your pants.

This thing (for a fat bike) to keep ice cold water from running up your crotch...
Portland Design Works Dave's Mud Shovel Front Fat Bike Fender, One Size, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OE5TKA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xeC8DbPVBKAB3

Winter-ready fat bike pic:
Batteries and controllers inside a well insulated bag. Dual motors for optional extra traction... Rear PAS and left throttle. Front on a right throttle only when you need a little more traction.

09CB99F5-F204-4143-96F6-9A3F79F3EC26.jpeg

Last edited:
I always lock my bike to something, too many thieves in the city. I make no exceptions, some people have had their bikes stolen while on delivery. I trust no one.

Lock plus this thing... Move the bike a millimeter when armed, and it will scream very, very loudly...

Onvian Wireless Anti-Theft Motorcycle Bike Alarm with Remote, Waterproof Bicycle Security Alarm Vibration Sensor, 113dB Loud https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFBV7TW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WtC8Db8R3T13H

Lock plus this thing... Move the bike a millimeter when armed, and it will scream very, very loudly...

Onvian Wireless Anti-Theft Motorcycle Bike Alarm with Remote, Waterproof Bicycle Security Alarm Vibration Sensor, 113dB Loud https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MFBV7TW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WtC8Db8R3T13H
Haha that thing is awesome but I'm almost always locking my bike next to other bikes in a densely populated area with lots of foot traffic, I would just end up getting punched in the face.

Haha that thing is awesome but I'm almost always locking my bike next to other bikes in a densely populated area with lots of foot traffic, I would just end up getting punched in the face.

Must be a Toronto thing. In Chicago, annoying and excessive alarms command respect!

;-)

Some photos taken in December, 2017 of my typical 20 mile round trip from homebase up to the Delaware and Raritan Canal towpath in a winter's snowstorm. I wanted to give my Bosch Heated Jacket a workout in the snow storm to see how it would work out. Please note: balaclava and my military issue cold weather hat from my USCG days on the Upper Mississippi helped keep my head warm. My helmet was kept home, being too small to wear both balaclava and the cold wx cap underneath it. I know, I kno

When those arctic fronts blow down from Canada into NJ, I'll break out the heated jacket. On the high setting, it gives about an hour, hour and a half of great heat. The truth though is this: NJ really lays out the road salt before any snow event. Very bad for aluminum components not to mention any terminal connections between battery and motor. Another thing about riding in the Garden State during a winter snow fall is the very real hazard of the drivers around you losing control of their vehicle. So I pretty much stay off the roads when the snow falls, waiting until the snow melts and the salt is washed away by a warm rain.

Here's a link to the jacket and some photos.... Link: https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/workwear-psj120m-102-121516-p/

Attachments

• 100_2904 (1).JPG
    100_2904 (1).JPG
    453.9 KB · Views: 409
  • 100_2924.JPG
    100_2924.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 403
  • 100_2934.JPG
    100_2934.JPG
    349.5 KB · Views: 393
  • 100_2939.JPG
    100_2939.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 389
Am I correct in assuming that If you get in a car accident you will be on your own and not be covered by any insurance as an Uber employee? That seems unfair to me.
It seems as though when insurance becomes an issue so does licensing and commercial vehicle safety checks and everything we don't want. Plus they aren't employees, really, are they? They're contractors. See California destroy the independent business of hundreds of thousands with careless derision as they opt for nanny state pooptowns.

Last edited:
Not if you want heat for any extended ride. To lazy to put the studded tire on today so no heat worries. UPP covers came. Zero insulation. But I’m gluing in the new heating pads, making them useful. I decided Salvage batteries for an independent power supply.
I have used a powerbank with 4 LG cells on my 8 pad heater set and it works, but not for long. I'm contemplating using a series of hot water bottles next. It's getting cold and windy up here in Canuckistan.

It seems as though when insurance becomes an issue so does licensing and commercial vehicle safety checks and everything we don't want. Plus they aren't employees, really, are they? They're contractors. See California destroy the independent business of hundreds of thousands with careless derision as they opt for nanny state pooptowns.
Hey boss I just had a great idea. If we call them " Independant contractors" we don't have to pay our employees any benefits. And if they get hurt on the job...who cares? Then the taxpayers can suck it up instead of us.

Hey boss I just had a great idea. If we call them " Independant contractors" we don't have to pay our employees any benefits. And if they get hurt on the job...who cares? Then the taxpayers can suck it up instead of us.
But if it allows Lindo to feed his kids, it's not good, why? Cuz pooptown calls?

Back