Winter e-biking advices

I'm curious to hear how these are with fogging in cold weather.
They are made for motorcycle riding, i’m sure with all the tech. That they have , it works well riding in cold weather.
I’ll let you know in the weekend.

There’s no substitute for mounting/dismounting fast on a real road especially on a mew Shimano pedal.
Practising a lot in the room makes perfect :D It's Shimano SPD-SL R550. I set the spring to the minimum tension to make the dismount easier. I hope not to die soon...

Last edited:
I strongly suggest to find a way to sell them , b/c there will be falls.
There’s no substitute for mounting/dismounting fast on a real road especially on a mew Shimano pedal.

You could adjust them to mount /dismount with a light effort (the little knob the pedal) .

But a new Shimano Even on the easiest set up it will not be so effortless meaning leas force to mount/dismount.
Best would be to buy used Shimano pedals and use.

Best is to practice on a road bike or light bike on grass. I was in cycling for over 10+ years. Coaches ppl. , raced.I don’t know anyone who did not fall in the beginning.
And an ebike is heavy, is a completely different situation.
yep even when your used it. it was 20 degrees and windy I was just putting my left foot down when a gust of wind blew me over to the right I could not get my foot out. glad I dont need clips on a e bike though I like how my foot was always positioned right.

@Handlebars, Poland is a country where a few ride e-bikes because of the very high cost compared to the income. There are very few people who ride bikes in general during wintertime. If one could afford expensive winter cycling shoes, they would buy them anew. This is not the market you know from Canada or the States.
Just saying.

@Handlebars, Poland is a country where a few ride e-bikes because of the very high cost compared to the income. There are very few people who ride bikes in general during wintertime. If one could afford expensive winter cycling shoes, they would buy them anew. This is not the market you know from Canada or the States.
Just saying.
Yes, I didn't think too much there. Shoes to trade isn't the right way to go. Shoes and pedals together for sale is. If you have free advertising sites there it doesn't cost anything to make an ad and see what happens. Being locked into the pedals even a little bit... the visuals of the possible not good eventualities are horrific. Not 14 yrs old there, Stefan. Free advertising here, too.

I strongly suggest to find a way to sell them , b/c there will be falls.

You could adjust them to mount /dismount with a light effort (the little knob the pedal) .

But a new Shimano Even on the easiest set up it will not be so effortless meaning leas force to mount/dismount.
Best would be to buy used Shimano pedals and use.

Best is to practice on a road bike or light bike on grass. I was in cycling for over 10+ years. Coaches ppl. , raced.I don’t know anyone who did not fall in the beginning.
And an ebike is heavy, is a completely different situation.
yep even when your used it. it was 20 degrees and windy I was just putting my left foot down when a gust of wind blew me over to the right I could not get my foot out. glad I dont need clips on a e bike though I like how my foot was always positioned right.

I wouldn't mind trying out a windshield as well.
Meh... Unless the windscreen has a drop-down canvas like the old scooter windscreens they're more of a nuisance. IME. The airflow below the typical sceen kills the effectiveness. Been meaning to sort a "skirt" but gave up and got the windproof balaclava and antifog goggles.

Looking backat the photos of my trial run, a funky reproduction of the Vespa skirt would likely kae a world of difference. The screen did provide a small comfort zone. BTW the bike has undergone many changes since 2014 when this was trialed.

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 1.01.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 12.55.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 1.01.50 PM.png

Meh... Unless the windscreen has a drop-down canvas like the old scooter windscreens they're more of a nuisance. IME. The airflow below the typical sceen kills the effectiveness. Been meaning to sort a "skirt" but gave up and got the windproof balaclava and antifog goggles.

Looking backat the photos of my trial run, a funky reproduction of the Vespa skirt would likely kae a world of difference. The screen did provide a small comfort zone. BTW the bike has undergone many changes since 2014 when this was trialed.

View attachment 42362

View attachment 42361View attachment 42363

I see what you mean. I'd probably try the 2 clamping devices upside-down and slide the windscreen down a bit...or make an extension for underneath. It might even improve range.

for gloves I usually go to a ski shop and get some that are not too bulky but still keep me warm, also a cover for my hear and that can pull up over my neck and cover my nose

Hello, I live in north central Florida. Over the last few days the temperature has dropped into the 40s and 50s and the performance of me e scooter has gone to hell. 30% plus battery loss, lower speed which equals less distance. with the amount of miles on the original battery pack, I knew we were getting close to replacement time. I never expected this kind of power loss in the cold. I have over 7000 miles on this bike almost all in Key Largo and Islamorada. very hot. any advice would be helpful. Oh, I keep the bike in my bedroom.

for gloves I usually go to a ski shop and get some that are not too bulky but still keep me warm, also a cover for my hear and that can pull up over my neck and cover my nose
I’ve had gloves from $10 to $150. All are a fail in winter. I finally ponied up for a pair of mittens that have inner gloves. They are the best so far, but at 20F only handlebar muffs keep my hands happy.

I see what you mean. I'd probably try the 2 clamping devices upside-down and slide the windscreen down a bit...or make an extension for underneath. It might even improve range.
Fairings! Just haven’t found the right one for a flat foot frame and riding position.

although after your thought, gluing a second screen on upside down might be the solution. Hmmmmm new and excellent idea! The screen was cheap on fleabay.
1575558884757.jpeg

A set of real glove liners like you get at EMS and other place like that can make a world of difference and not be super pricey

A set of real glove liners like you get at EMS and other place like that can make a world of difference and not be super pricey
Windchill factored at 20F (-7C) and 15MPH is -5F (-20C). Gloves just don’t cut it for me unless heated or in muffs. Maybe you’re just a tougher rider. Today it’s 27F with 93% humidity, it bites! A bit warmer in Conway but you do get damn cold too. Do you ride much in winter?

I find the clothing for comfortable cold winter ebiking is pretty much the same as for downhill skiing. Like skiing, your going fast, holding on to metal sticks and moving your legs alot.
The great thing is, if you get a bit chilled you just lower the assist while maintaining the speed and you'll warm up quickly.

I can vouch for these gloves at costco. amazing deal at $20
1575567908848.png

The dexterity isn't great, so if you have a lot of small buttons to push that can be annoying, but they are easy to slip on and off and they have a zippered pocket on the back for a hot pack. To regulate the hot pack temperature just open the zip more to make it hotter (allows more oxygen to react) Hot packs can be "turned off" just by putting them in a ziplock and squeezing all the air out. I find I can get a full two days of skiing out of one set, but it's not cold enough to need them on the bike.

I have bar mitts on 2 different bikes and have only had to wear any type of glove when using them in temps above 20 deg F in northern Utah
so far this fall/winter.

I find the clothing for comfortable cold winter eBiking is pretty much the same as for downhill skiing.
Gosh, either you are a young fella or very cold tolerant. I find that hanging onto handlebars and traveling at 15-20 MPH MUCH colder than skiing. I wore lighter gloves on skinny skis (X country) but today, even at 25F I got cold fingertips in my Held winter motorcycle gloves.

IMG_2233.jpeg

Back