Winter e-biking advices

A friend just bought a Vespa, and I've been checking out his Vespa helmet for winter ebike commuting, with it's two visors. He says it's cozy on the ears too. Wondering if the extra weight would be awkward- how different would it be from some of the snowboard helmets above?

For cold hand, look into a pair of Bar Mitts / pogies. They are easy to install and remove all of the wind chill from your hands. So much so that I don't need to wear gloves at all and my hands are very warm. They have space to toss a hand warmer in too if you get the bigger models. I tend to wear a pair of thin gloves just in case I need to do something off the bike so my hands don't freeze.

For cold hand, look into a pair of Bar Mitts / pogies. They are easy to install and remove all of the wind chill from your hands. So much so that I don't need to wear gloves at all and my hands are very warm. They have space to toss a hand warmer in too if you get the bigger models. I tend to wear a pair of thin gloves just in case I need to do something off the bike so my hands don't freeze.
Yesterday for the first time, my gloved hands were freezing after a short ride. I have better gloves for cold but not for bike riding in the cold...I'm convinced to get wind protection on the bars. I like micro-cost DIY solutions though, as usually better than low cost commercial items. However, the Pogies and RockBros don't cost much and look alright for the purpose. Black Saturday search time!

After searching and watching some reviews I decided that I need to DIY them.

A friend just bought a Vespa, and I've been checking out his Vespa helmet for winter ebike commuting, with it's two visors. He says it's cozy on the ears too. Wondering if the extra weight would be awkward- how different would it be from some of the snowboard helmets above?
you mean like this?
1575129428876.png

The smaller visor can be a sunshade/sunglasses material that slips up into the helmet. The outer visor protects shields down to your lips.
What would be lovely is to convince a manufacturer to build something in between this and a bike helmet. Biking in the rain at 32kph is also uncomfortable on the face.

The smaller visor can be a sunshade/sunglasses material that slips up into the helmet. The outer visor protects shields down to your lips.
What would be lovely is to convince a manufacturer to build something in between this and a bike helmet. Biking in the rain at 32kph is also uncomfortable on the face.
I dunno... that white one is hard to resist (-:

If you’re considering a motorcycle helmet, run from Vespa branded. A ridiculous premium price. Check out Sharp U.K. for real testing and ratings of helmets. Been there done that. GTS250 vintage red.

Today's planned ride: 20 miles from Specialized Warsaw to my place at 34 F and into headwind ;-)
Accuri OTG goggles recommended by @Handlebars are just fantastic! Even my large prescription glasses fit! Now I can see I put the balaclava on rather asymmetrically :D
Speaking of Asymetrical...My wife likes her new 100 % goggles. She says they keep the cold wind from stinging her eyes. Thanks for the good idea.
1575234415586.png

My wife likes her new 100 % goggles. She says they keep the cold wind from stinging her eyes.
So glad, Steve! Next thing to buy her would be a warm helmet to cover ears and less ventilation for head ;)
What's your wife's bike?

I doubt that your wife is getting the protection you would want from her bike helmet as worn in the photo. See-https://www.sportsrec.com/360820-can-you-wear-a-visor-or-hat-with-your-bicycle-helmet.html

Norm,

While I'm certain you are spreading goodwill and wanting nothing more than to suggest we get the best protection available, being a safety cop can also be taken as being a nanny. We don't know how she adjusted it for riding, we only have a millisecond photo. Knowing Steve as I do here as a consummate eBiker and sensible fellow, I'm certain he takes your awareness in stride. But I have to ask, why? IF we're going to be helmet police we really need to take protection statistics seriously. We'd perhaps look at statistics from the MC world and discover our beanies are only partial protection.

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.35.47 PM.png

Last edited:
Back