Winter e-biking advices

Today's planned ride: 20 miles from Specialized Warsaw to my place at 34 F and into headwind ;-)
Accuri OTG goggles recommended by @Handlebars are just fantastic! Even my large prescription glasses fit! Now I can see I put the balaclava on rather asymmetrically :D

Attachments

• Accuri OTG goggles and balaclava.jpg
    Accuri OTG goggles and balaclava.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 575
The goggles are very comfortable and seem to be made the same way as brand name type, with soft felt-like covering of the substantial foam layer. The strap is not as wide as more costly goggles at 1.5 " and has no silicone traces on it. It fits perfectly to my size medium helmet now. At first I had to experiment to find the best way to make it comfortable with my glasses inside, as it seemed quite tight, but now everything is good. No fog whatsoever when moving - even with face covering directing breath up toward goggle.
For fit on a large head with large helmet it would be on the small side.
In daylight the lens is fine, at night due to curvature there is a bit of unwanted optical effect from lights.
who woulda thought these 16USD googles would be as useful as my $75!? Surprisingly good.

who woulda thought these 16USD googles would be as useful as my $75!? Surprisingly good.
The more expensive name brand helmets like 100% Accuri definitely have a better strap. I used cable ties to secure the strap to the back of my helmet so the goggles stay in position and I can raise them up over the small helmet visor, where they also stay put.

Last edited:
...these amazon cheapies at $25 were the right price for buying without trying them on. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07Y23XJCQ/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item
It is a bit unusual to see 100% positive rating in that many reviews. None of the more expensive goggles get that kind of universal response. Maybe people get pickier as they pay more.
These do not ship to my location. So I made the second choice of @Handlebars: The Accuri OTG. Excellent visibility, no fogging, a lot of space for even large glasses. Plus a wide, comfortable strap. Cairn OTG goggles are good but no match to Accuri. The only minor issue is the Accuri leave a small gap at the edge of the Cairn helmet; of course Cairn goggles perfectly fit the Cairn helmet. Yet with a balaclava that small gap means nothing.

The more expensive name brand helmets like 100% Accuri definitely have a better strap. I used cable ties to secure the strap to the back of my helmet so the goggles stay in position and I can raise them up over the small helmet visor, where they also stay put.
Handlebars congratulations are in order. After an inauspicious start you have become a model EBR forum contributor. I knew you had it in you! I am going to order those goggles now. Done.

Last edited:
I use a $5 pr of chemical splash goggles with a $ store balaclava and my hoodie under my helmet. So far so good
That is what I was using for a week before I bought the new goggles. Dollar store $2 I think it was. I fitted them with glued-on foam in a few places to keep the plastic edge off my face and it helped make them sit straight and not bend.

That is what I was using for a week before I bought the new goggles. Dollar store $2 I think it was. I fitted them with glued-on foam in a few places to keep the plastic edge off my face and it helped make them sit straight and not bend.

I wear them over my balaclava, but under my helmet and hoodie so the strap doesn't bend the sides of the goggles

Meh! IMO more gear is overkill. but we all ride with gear that meets our needs.
The streets are covered in deep potholes. A strong winter is predicted. There's thousands of drivers out there who have never driven in snow before. I'm going to be riding a lot more than in the previous decade, so there's that.
For me it probably will depend on how good the armour feels, supposing cost is OK per the budget. Lots of people make use of the $50 USD jacket clones for a couple of years and the main complaint is that the mesh fabric is going to rip sooner or later.

The streets are covered in deep potholes. A strong winter is predicted. There's thousands of drivers out there who have never driven in snow before. I'm going to be riding a lot more than in the previous decade, so there's that.
For me it probably will depend on how good the armour feels, supposing cost is OK per the budget. Lots of people make use of the $50 USD jacket clones for a couple of years and the main complaint is that the mesh fabric is going to rip sooner or later.
Gotcha! And so I'm apt to wear a helmet without fail on winter rides. I've got some old Hein Gerricke armour that fits into several jackets but none as warm as my North Face 800 fill Goose Down Parka. The only coat warm enough of a <20F day at 15MPH.

after years of not riding because of heath I bought a e bike. but little did I think how cold your hands can get on one. 20+ mph and I found if it was 45 even the best perl Izumi down to 10 degree gloves dud not help. so I finally invested in some battery powered gloves Savior Heated Gloves they actually work better for cycling the the pearl Izumi's did/ today it is 30 so they will get a workout. till it gets. down to 32 I only need at most medium temp. at 32 my feel get too cold. I tried waterproof socks then neoprene and waterproof socks nope. so I bought the same brad electric socks. man thats so much better. z extra set of batteries to have in case something gets left of.

Thanks to Handlebars and Stefan for the goggles suggestion. I got my wife ( she wears glasses ,I don't) these goggles on Amazon and she likes them to stop her eyes from watering in the cold.
100% Unisex-Adult Speedlab (50400-233-02) STRATA Goggle Outlaw-Clear Lens, One Size, $45 bucks CDN

Back