Winter e-biking advices

was it damaged or just a bad product?
I think the maker does zero quality control. One of two Amazon.ca buyer reviews said it was completely no good also. Makes two to one receiving bad item. antboy's is OK, and the other Amazon.ca review said it's great, so that makes it a 50/50 reported getting a working item.

Last edited:
If you're riding your ebike on Mars, then that counts. Or in a vacuum. That would count.

7mm is just as an example on how much ahead this technology is. Like i said a 3mm is all you need.

I already got my aerogel sheets And will be making my custom cover soon. When do you make yours ?
Looks like it costs 40-50$max. To do the whole cover , then need to sew it inside something.

Heated with blow torch, as you can see nothing, nada !!

Now Imagine that instead of a blow torch is a minus 30C and you have to ride in MN or Boston... again no effect. Battery will be warm or Toasted (but not you😉 unless you have a big parka, boots and ski helmet) under the aerogel protection(assuming you leave home with a warm battery). Is healthier like that.

Attachments

• AB1A3B7B-1A7C-4EA8-B939-442FC6C4621A.png
    AB1A3B7B-1A7C-4EA8-B939-442FC6C4621A.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 331
  • ACF3DD31-46FE-4B43-B710-E042FC500A5F.png
    ACF3DD31-46FE-4B43-B710-E042FC500A5F.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 323
  • 09171A2F-F3AA-4220-B51B-87041A32E671.png
    09171A2F-F3AA-4220-B51B-87041A32E671.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 327
Last edited:
That is incredible. What about degradation?

No degradation. Yes incredible.
Can wear a 3mm thin jacket made with this material in a -30Celsius (actually good up to -70Celsius) and not feel a thing !

Not sure of long term degradation like decades and longer... They may as well either ban this material for the mainstream or jack up the prices since it is superlight, extreme insulAtor and has many other Benefits.
I think this is the new Gold. I definitely find GREAT value in this.

7mm is just as an example on how much ahead this technology is. Like i said a 3mm is all you need.
Yeah, but Mars is different than on Earth so the -300 degrees thing is a bit sketch 😀

I already got my aerogel sheets And will be making my custom cover soon. When do you make yours ?
Yesterday.

Looks like it costs 40-50$max. To do the whole cover , then need to sew it inside something.

Heated with blow torch, as you can see nothing, nada !!

Now Imagine that instead of a blow torch is a minus 30C and you have to ride in MN or Boston... again no effect. Battery will be warm or Toasted (but not you😉 unless you have a big parka, boots and ski helmet) under the aerogel protection(assuming you leave home with a warm battery). Is healthier like that.
It is certainly impressive. For my battery with a Dorado battery case, that kind sits partially inside the bike frame. Would the cover be able to prevent the transfer of heat through the frame?

Yeah, but Mars is different than on Earth so the -300 degrees thing is a bit sketch 😀

Yesterday.

It is certainly impressive. For my battery with a Dorado battery case, that kind sits partially inside the bike frame. Would the cover be able to prevent the transfer of heat through the frame?
I think you meant transfer of cold through the frame.
I would cover it uniformly but i’m not sure onve the downtube has a really cold temp. , how much it will transfer to the battery. I would cover about 5cm extra going up and down on the ebike tube.

But anyway even w/o that you’ll have most of the exposed battery very well insulated.

I’m debating right now as to what material i would sew the aerogel inside of ! Is a little DIY work but it will be worth it.
Could do it inside a thin 2mm neoprene and then sew it and have it zipped. Or maybe some else has a better idea ?

I think you meant transfer of cold through the frame.
No, I meant the transfer of heat out of the battery through the frame. :)

I would cover it uniformly but i’m not sure onve the downtube has a really cold temp. , how much it will transfer to the battery. I would cover about 5cm extra going up and down on the ebike tube.
Yeah, underneath and all but still it's going to transfer over time. "How quickly it gets virtually the same as the outside cold", is the question.
But anyway even w/o that you’ll have most of the exposed battery very well insulated.
Agreed, but it keeping warm enough would depend on how long and in what cold it's in.

I’m debating right now as to what material i would sew the aerogel inside of ! Is a little DIY work but it will be worth it.
Could do it inside a thin 2mm neoprene and then sew it and have it zipped. Or maybe some else has a better idea ?
Mylar then Aerogel then Neoprene would be nice and a handle so you don't have to grab it. Thin Mylar and Aerogel permanently underneath between frame and battery. Mylar and neoprene on outside of frame?

Last edited:
It seems like more bike runs in winter are shorter runs, like to the store. My battery was weaker just going for a 1 km in the cold at 20mph. Within minutes, in other words.
So just a simple Aerogel design might be good enough for those kind of riders. I haven't tried out my neoprene cover yet. If not a good enough fix I'd have to do more. I need 25km range minimum.

Last edited:
No, I meant the transfer of heat out of the battery through the frame. :)

Yeah, underneath and all but still it's going to transfer over time. "How quickly it gets virtually the same as the outside cold", is the question.

I think it looses a lot more heat from being exposed then through conductivity. But the main thing is that it will prevent the cold. And once you ride it will keep generating heat.
A scientific study would be needed for further quantify the gains/losses😉. I think it will loose 9-15%max heat through conductivity while in the same time prevent 100% of the cold air.
Once you stop the cold air , no need to worry about the small waste heat lost...
And definitely is viable for long term . That’s why they just started to make 400$ Ski/expedition jackets out of this material now..

I think it looses a lot more heat from being exposed then through conductivity. But the main thing is that it will prevent the cold. And once you ride it will keep generating heat.
A scientific study would be needed for further quantify the gains/losses😉. I think it will loose 9-15%max heat through conductivity while in the same time prevent 100% of the cold air.
Once you stop the cold air , no need to worry about the small waste heat lost...
And definitely is viable for long term . That’s why they just started to make 400$ Ski/expedition jackets out of this material now..
Well, I can easily double the neoprene to find out and put it underneath and around the frame a bit to see if that helps much. I'll let you know.

It seems like more bike runs in winter are shorter runs, like to the store. My battery was weaker just going for a 1 km in the cold at 20mph. Within minutes, in other words.
So just a simple Aerogel design might be good enough for those kind of riders. I haven't tried out my neoprene cover yet. If not a good enough fix I'd have to do more. I need 25km range minimum.

From what i’ve tested , the neoprene (and i use a THICK 12mm neoprene )is only good up to 37-40F.
Lower then 35 and/or add wind a 48v feels like a 36volts and range/top speed drops dramatically .
The pack likes it at 70-80F that is 25-27Celsius.
With the 3mm or 7mm (if you like to go to Mars😉) aerogel a very frosty -20Celsius will Not be an issue. Is very possible that the pack will stay at a 70-75F once riding !

But there is no aerogel full cover on the market yet. And when it will be available be prepared to drop 175-200$ just because they can pull it off.

Well, I can easily double the neoprene to find out and put it underneath and around the frame a bit to see if that helps much. I'll let you know.

It will help up to 37-40F. Lower then that neoprene is almost useless unless Is 15mm or more thickness . That’s too cumbersome looking.

It's 36 km/h wind and 3degrees C today, and I could tell that the cover did help. On returning home I felt the bottom of the battery and it was quite cold. I tried out the space battery slider space underneath the battery to see if it could take some insulation inside the bike tube or on the battery bottom, rather than outside and it can take an amount that 3mm Aerogel would help while not being able to cover every inch and battery still slides in. At this point I might opt for a combination insulation plan and multiple pad heater for the worst days. :)

So I'd say, regarding your plan, go for it!

I do not have them yet but after falling on black ice last year I am considering two things. A second set of wheels with my Ice spikers mounted and ready to go when the temperature drops below freezing and a set of mountain bike elbow and knee pads in case I slip on a patch of black ice with my main tires.

I do not have them yet but after falling on black ice last year I am considering two things. A second set of wheels with my Ice spikers mounted and ready to go when the temperature drops below freezing and a set of mountain bike elbow and knee pads in case I slip on a patch of black ice with my main tires.
I like the idea of the mesh under-jackets with foam inserts that turn solid on impact, chest, shoulder, elbow, spine protector, and all. I think you can get them for under $300. Plastic insert models $200 or so and as low as $140 on sale (Fox Racing new model) or cheap clones for $60 that also work.

Instead of the 80% benefit you get 30% only. 2.5x less. Don’t be cheap.
That’s why the Nasa astronauts didn’t wear styrofoam suits in space😉. The aerogel works a LOT better. A 10x10 3mm piece is 10-15$ . With a few of them can do a lot of projects.

But the manufacturing companies charge way too much b/c it is just now starting to being used in their products.
haha.... now I am picturing Stryofoam space suits... lol

A second set of wheels with my Ice spikers
I wouldn't go near my hybrid frame for winter riding if I couldn't get the seat low enough for flat footing. Flat foot means outrigger legs. Perfect for staying upright on ice. I'd never have studded tires if I coudn't swing their own set of wheels

I just covered the entire downtube in 3/16" neoprene. Should help a lot. I can also cover large portions of the underside of the battery. It'll be great. I'll try to find my thermometer with sensor on a wire to watch what happens.

Back