Winter e-biking advices

We're down to about freezing now and I had to adapt dollar store safety goggles over my glasses to ride at all. Shopping for goggles, the price I had in mind escalated as I started checking them out, and I kind of settled on the 100 % Accuri OTG coming to about $100 Canadian.

I don't like to buy without try-on though.

...these amazon cheapies at $25 were the right price for buying without trying them on. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07Y23XJCQ/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item
It is a bit unusual to see 100% positive rating in that many reviews. None of the more expensive goggles get that kind of universal response. Maybe people get pickier as they pay more.
The goggles are very comfortable and seem to be made the same way as brand name type, with soft felt-like covering of the substantial foam layer. The strap is not as wide as more costly goggles at 1.5 " and has no silicone traces on it. It fits perfectly to my size medium helmet now. At first I had to experiment to find the best way to make it comfortable with my glasses inside, as it seemed quite tight, but now everything is good. No fog whatsoever when moving - even with face covering directing breath up toward goggle.
For fit on a large head with large helmet it would be on the small side.
In daylight the lens is fine, at night due to curvature there is a bit of unwanted optical effect from lights.

Attachments

• gloves.jpg
    gloves.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 373
I ended up with this heating pad for the battery because it will be here in a couple of days. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07KP48TKJ/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item
Hah! That's the exact same one I got just over a week ago.

Warming the battery for about 45 minutes before the ride did seem to boost the longevity of the battery by a minor amount 3-4ish % compared to the second bike (same model) that didn't have a heating pad (normally these two bikes are pretty much in sync when it comes to battery level over a 15-20km ride).

Currently the heating pad is only covered by a thick plastic bag that I cut up to make a template.

Once my 6mm neoprene comes in to make a custom battery wrap, I'm hoping for better results. I haven't been able to source a cover designed for a silver fish style battery.

Warming the battery for about 45 minutes before the ride did seem to boost the longevity of the battery by a minor amount 3-4ish % compared to the second bike (same model) that didn't have a heating pad (normally these two bikes are pretty much in sync when it comes to battery level over a 15-20km ride).

Currently the heating pad is only covered by a thick plastic bag that I cut up to make a template.

Once my 6mm neoprene comes in to make a custom battery wrap, I'm hoping for better results. I haven't been able to source a cover designed for a silver fish style battery.
The battery weakened output in the freezing weather was obvious in that PAS9 went faster than PAS8, which otherwise doesn't happen during my rides. Also it seemed to lose range significantly...but that was only on one unmeasured test.

I've got a pair of high-end Gortex, leather Held motorcycle gloves. My hands still get very cold in them. But at my age circulation is a problem. Best solution? For me were handlebar muffs. I can wear everyday lighter winter gloves. Even fingerless are OK on many days.

Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 11.17.42 AM.png

The heating pad is so wretched that on high setting I can't tell it's on unless I put it on the inside of my elbow and then wouldn't notice it except I was checking for any small degree of warmth. It's going back.

My $6 kits from an Aliexpress seller have worked well for a dozen users.

I ended up with this heating pad for the battery because it will be here in a couple of days. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07KP48TKJ/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item

The battery is more affected by the cold than I am. When I used to wear heavy boots and more expensive boots my toes always felt frozen. Now I wear mesh shoes in winter and my feet never freeze, I just avoid getting them soaked and it's not a problem anymore. I think it's because the boots restrict movement.

I buy only if the item has at least 10reviews and 4stars minimum. Even with those i still read and chexk the pictures. Is getting harder to get good quality stuff online.

Nobody has mentioned shoes yet.

For the last 20 or so years I have been using Shimano SPDs and various shoes (road and MTB). I have had quite a collection of neoprene toe covers and booties. That being said anything lower than about 55F had me using chemical toe warmers as well.

I decided to ditch the clipless setup and go to flat pedals this year. My winter shoes are now FiveTen Freerider EPS High tops

Paired with DEFEET Men's Woolie Boolie socks, I really dont need to start using toes warmers till it gets under 40F.

Im weird with cold feet, I can walk around outside barefoot in cold weather no problems but hate cold feet when I ride.

I buy toe warmers in bulk, walmat seems to have the best online prices although I have found deals on ebay as well.

Nobody has mentioned shoes yet.
Oh, @linklemming, shoes were mentioned couple of times before. Yet you are right, these are very important. I suffer from inadequate blood supply to my toes, so this matter is critical to me.

I ride with platform (flat) pedals. As long as temperatures do not fall into 30's (we, Europeans say "below zero"), leather boots do for me as long as I pull Gore-tex toe warmers on and cover feet with winterproof foot part of the riding pants. Merino wool socks inside are really good. For real winter, I got me a pair of Northwave Arctic GTX shoes as well as a pair of Gore-tex overshoes. Let's see what the winter holds...

I will post a photo of the Northwave shoes once I get them today. These are available in fluorescent yellow or black. I chose the black ones.

Attachments

• Gore-tex Overshoes.jpg
    Gore-tex Overshoes.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 374
Because it’s Minnesnowta and I use my legs as “outrunners” on flat foot bikes, only heavily insulated snow boots are stout enough and warm enough. A pair of LLBean insulated rubber bottom and a pair of Sorel Vibram sole.

Attachments

• C356A158-3C64-4FB5-A466-27D2B5BF19F6.jpeg
    C356A158-3C64-4FB5-A466-27D2B5BF19F6.jpeg
    726.2 KB · Views: 364
  • 780050BA-ED86-48A9-AB84-AE0E39635EE5.jpeg
    780050BA-ED86-48A9-AB84-AE0E39635EE5.jpeg
    453 KB · Views: 341
What temperatures do you experience in Minnesota in winter, @Thomas Jaszewski? To what temperatures do you see it practical to ride an e-bike, Tom?
MN winters can have -20F/-29C days. But below 20/-7C it begins to get quite risky. Battery warming is an absolute must. I have several winter commuter friends in Minneapolis MN, a bit colder there, who ride all winter. My rides below 32F/0C are seldom more than a mile or two for a grocery/pharmacy run.

i hope to be doing some ice riding on a frozen lake for ice fishing. Regardless of temps, but with a ice fishing tent to fish in and small heater or electric vest and gloves. lots of people ride snow machines here are that gear is perfect.

i seldom night ride in winter. Cages just don’t expect bikes on the road at night in the dead of winter.

The attached PDF datasheet for Panasonic 18650PF cells quantifies the loss of capacity in lower temps (chart at lower left of page.)

For biking at night in temps below 20F, an extension cord for the NiteRider light made it possible to put the battery inside a jacket against the innermost layer, keeping them at 80F. Warm enough for full duration runs rather than about half capacity when mounted on the bike.

As mentioned by others, based on personal use, a balaclava is the best addition to winter gear of any. It offers the most warmth per ounce of material and per dollar spent.

Attachments

• NCR18650PF Datasheet PDF.pdf
    328.7 KB · Views: 412
The attached PDF datasheet for Panasonic 18650PF cells quantifies the loss of capacity in lower temps (chart at lower left of page.)

For biking at night in temps below 20F, an extension cord for the NiteRider light made it possible to put the battery inside a jacket against the innermost layer, keeping them at 80F. Warm enough for full duration runs rather than about half capacity when mounted on the bike.

As mentioned by others, based on personal use, a balaclava is the best addition to winter gear of any. It offers the most warmth per ounce of material and per dollar spent.
Not much of an advantage there. Honestly I’ve never experienced any improved performance with my PF pack. Once below 0C power output changes rapidly. I do tend to use my 20Ah PF pack, simply because it’s my largest.

agreed 1000% on the balaclava. I have a polartec wind proof version from outdoor research.

Hi Tom, not sure what you mean- advantage of what, using PF cells in winter? I only mention them as typical cells. No particular advantage to them in cold weather. Just a quality cell with good cycle life and energy density - probably why we both use them. I've had a few rides already this fall where the PFs only gave 600 Wh when they normally serve up 700 Wh in summer.

In the lithium world, the real cold weather brutes are the A123 cells which I used in the first pack I made.

OTOH, there is a huge advantage to keeping the NiteRider pack near body temp - literally double to triple runtime. They use 18650s, but not PF cells, and drop like rocks below 32F / 0C.

Fellow MN here. We should meet someday- if you're wearing the animal balaclava, I'll know it's you!

Where in Minnesota? SE here, on the Mighty Mississippi.

The 5v warmers for vests and jackets have served me well.

Back