Winter e-biking advices

Norm,

While I'm certain you are spreading goodwill and wanting nothing more than to suggest we get the best protection available, being a safety cop can also be taken as being a nanny. We don't know how she adjusted it for riding, we only have a millisecond photo. Knowing Steve as I do here as a consummate eBiker and sensible fellow, I'm certain he takes your awareness in stride. But I have to ask, why? IF we're going to be helmet police we really need to take protection statistics seriously. We'd perhaps look at statistics from the MC world and discover our beanies are only partial protection.

View attachment 42244
So this indicates we will likely have to take it in the chin? Seems intuitively accurate.

Norm,

While I'm certain you are spreading goodwill and wanting nothing more than to suggest we get the best protection available, being a safety cop can also be taken as being a nanny. We don't know how she adjusted it for riding, we only have a millisecond photo. Knowing Steve as I do here as a consummate eBiker and sensible fellow, I'm certain he takes your awareness in stride. But I have to ask, why? IF we're going to be helmet police we really need to take protection statistics seriously. We'd perhaps look at statistics from the MC world and discover our beanies are only partial protection.

View attachment 42244
I apologize for any offense. I don't know Steve, but I am certain that a few others reading this are not aware of the dangers of riding with a poor fitting helmet. Or just a hat under a helmet. I'll butt out now.

A thick 6-10mm Neoprene battery cover is a must for temp. Below 55F ! That will keep the liquid inside the cells warm and healthy.
Sounds good! Can you elaborate on this? I have only come up with a self designed battery warming device which is starting to be like the law of diminishing returns.

I apologize for any offense. I don't know Steve, but I am certain that a few others reading this are not aware of the dangers of riding with a poor fitting helmet. Or just a hat under a helmet. I'll butt out now.
Norm no offense taken my friend and I appreciate anyone who is concerned about the well being of others (-:

Last edited:
Norm,

View attachment 42244
The last time I fell on black ice I did hit my chin on the ground. That chart looks about right to me.

All good Norm. I continue to find the preoccupation with helmets by many of us odd, especially when reviewing Head injury data on two wheels. Many of our bikes now reach the speeds of small scooters and dirt bikes. The nicest people turn into grumps whenever helmets are discussed. a reason many long standing motorcycle and scooter forums discourage the discussion of pro and con.

@Handlebars - you should be able to DIY something like bar mitts pretty easily. Some Neoprene, a zipper and some velcro strips. Wolf Tooth has a bar end connection that i bought for my bar mitts. I really like the positive connection better than the velcro on that the BarMitts came with.

@steve mercier - I ended up chosing to go with a full face helmet, Fox Proframe, to protect me from just that. It breathes great in the summer, maybe a little sweatier but not bad. In the winter, it funnels the air quite well through the helmet so a hooded jersey and/or baklava is necessary. I won't loose my teeth though.. I may get some looks on the bike trail but I don't mind. I read too many stories where the top of the head was not what made contact with the pavement.

@steve mercier - I ended up chosing to go with a full face helmet, Fox Proframe, to protect me from just that. It breathes great in the summer, maybe a little sweatier but not bad. In the winter, it funnels the air quite well through the helmet so a hooded jersey and/or baklava is necessary. I won't loose my teeth though.. I may get some looks on the bike trail but I don't mind. I read too many stories where the top of the head was not what made contact with the pavement.
Yes indeed. I hate even even thinking about what kind of crash would have me leading with the top of my head. sheeesh...

@Handlebars - you should be able to DIY something like bar mitts pretty easily. Some Neoprene, a zipper and some velcro strips. Wolf Tooth has a bar end connection that i bought for my bar mitts. I really like the positive connection better than the velcro on that the BarMitts came with.
Cheap bar mitts fromAmazon are easily adapted.

I hate myself for what I did but...
I am an ignorant with the modern cycling technology; my knowledge of cycling shoes, pedals etc stopped at the "clip" pedals and, recently, at good platform pedals. When I ordered the "arctic" Northwave cycling shoes, I was happy enough to find out they fit my feet and were very warm. As there was no frost in recent weeks, I didn't give any second thought what the shoes really were. And they were... road cycling shoes!

Ah. I had to visit my LBS and buy road-cycling-pedals with cleats. The setup and fitting were not that complex thanks to YouTube videos. I even started believing I might not kill myself with the "clipless" shoes and pedals, as I'm practising clipping in and out in my room ;)

I still do hate myself. I was avoiding the clipless pedals as much as I could but I bought wrong but expensive shoes and could not return them.... Arrrgh!

I hate myself for what I did but...
I am an ignorant with the modern cycling technology; my knowledge of cycling shoes, pedals etc stopped at the "clip" pedals and, recently, at good platform pedals. When I ordered the "arctic" Northwave cycling shoes, I was happy enough to find out they fit my feet and were very warm. As there was no frost in recent weeks, I didn't give any second thought what the shoes really were. And they were... road cycling shoes!

Ah. I had to visit my LBS and buy road-cycling-pedals with cleats. The setup and fitting were not that complex thanks to YouTube videos. I even started believing I might not kill myself with the "clipless" shoes and pedals, as I'm practising clipping in and out in my room ;)

I still do hate myself. I was avoiding the clipless pedals as much as I could but I bought wrong but expensive shoes and could not return them.... Arrrgh!

View attachment 42339

I strongly suggest to find a way to sell them , b/c there will be falls.
There’s no substitute for mounting/dismounting fast on a real road especially on a mew Shimano pedal.

You could adjust them to mount /dismount with a light effort (the little knob the pedal) .

But a new Shimano Even on the easiest set up it will not be so effortless meaning leas force to mount/dismount.
Best would be to buy used Shimano pedals and use.

Best is to practice on a road bike or light bike on grass. I was in cycling for over 10+ years. Coaches ppl. , raced.I don’t know anyone who did not fall in the beginning.
And an ebike is heavy, is a completely different situation.

After “only” a few hours of looking for a really good pair of sunglasses For wind/ fast speeds , I purchased this one:

It is polarized @80$ , the version with polarized/clear to dark or grey is 129$ , i felt it was too much.

Will switch to a clear sunglasses after sunset. Need a glasses handlebar case now. The need for Shopping never stops🤔

Anybody knows of a good one ??

Anyway, it Seems that many are happy with “7eye by Panoptx”. Took 3-4hours for the search.

I had at least 6-7pair of cheap sunglasses (8-20$) ones Over the years that i realized were a mistake buy. Easy to scratch, plastic lens, Unpolarized , flimsy material.

Another good brand that i found and bought 1pair, but less well build then 7eye, nevertheless great anti wind protector is :

After “only” a few hours of looking for a really good pair of sunglasses For wind/ fast speeds , I purchased this one:

It is polarized @80$ , the version with polarized/clear to dark or grey is 129$ , i felt it was too much.

Will switch to a clear sunglasses after sunset. Need a glasses handlebar case now. The need for Shopping never stops🤔

Anybody knows of a good one ??

Anyway, it Seems that many are happy with “7eye by Panoptx”. Took 3-4hours for the search.

I had at least 6-7pair of cheap sunglasses (8-20$) ones Over the years that i realized were a mistake buy. Easy to scratch, plastic lens, Unpolarized , flimsy material.

Another good brand that i found and bought 1pair, but less well build then 7eye, nevertheless great anti wind protector is :

I’ve been having sunglasses made by Opticus for near 3 decades. Experts in rye protection.

I ended up chosing to go with a full face helmet, Fox Proframe, to protect me from just that. It breathes great in the summer, maybe a little sweatier but not bad. In the winter, it funnels the air quite well through the helmet so a hooded jersey and/or baklava is necessary. I won't loose my teeth though.. I may get some looks on the bike trail but I don't mind. I read too many stories where the top of the head was not what made contact with the pavement.
That looks just like what I want, with so much airflow, full protection, and very light.

I wouldn't mind trying out a windshield as well. I am definitely going to DIY from scratch on the bar mitts thing. Nothing beats it. My DIY panniers are better than anything I've seen.

Back