Using a Pedros Chain-pig' on a Specialized Turbo Vado ...that (of course) does not back pedal

G-Rider

I like a clean drive train, but found that Pedro's Chain-pig was inoperable because you can't back-pedal. So I shifted up into lowest rear gear, and moved the pig to the chain run above the chain stay.

'Wrapped my left hand around the seat stay and used my index finger to hold the pig's hook - while forward peddling with the other had. A tad messier that when mounted on the chain below the chain stay, but not terrible.

'Will be interesting to see if some entrepreneur comes up with one you can mount as one would with a bike you can back pedal.

I have also used the Park Tool equivalent chain cleaner and it will work, but it's a tighter fit and more awkward to operate

chain-pig.JPG

Hi! Sorry I can't help much but wanted to welcome you to the EBR community. Hopefully somebody can jump in soon and provide some insight.

I use the Finish Line Pro Chain Cleaner tool on my BULLS e-mtb. As you say, on a mid-motor e-bike, you cannot back-pedal to use the chain cleaner with the e-bike right side up.

What I do is flip my e-bike and use the cleaner tool as shown in the photo. In this position you forward-pedal and the tool works as intended. I actually find that in this method is easier for me as my e-mtb doesn't have a kick-stand. I also can stand up while I use the tool.

Attachments

• IMG_20181102_181341.jpg
    IMG_20181102_181341.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Back