The best taillight on the market right now...

Ebiker01

Lupine Rotlicht max.- what sets it aside is it’s brightness, very sturdy build , braking sensor and Very powerfull and bright red light( 4modes).
And is Made in 🇩🇪 , if it matters...

It’s 150$ , a Stromer is 5-7k , it is a good investment for everyone’s safety.

Yes, that’s expensive but it has a built in accelerometer to detect when you are braking and might the light brighter. I have been thinking about a brake light for the bike, has anyone come up with a cheaper solution?

Yes, that’s expensive but it has a built in accelerometer to detect when you are braking and might the light brighter. I have been thinking about a brake light for the bike, has anyone come up with a cheaper solution?

When cars aproach from behind depending on how fast , there is also what is called “light intensity “ that is increased as they get closer , that is a feature separate from the braking aspect.
And that light intensity feature has 3 modes-low/medium/high.

I don’t think a cheap one can be made, needs a little computer, accelerometer , all in a very small package made and design as such , it gets expensive for a company...

I was wondering why you would ever need a brake light on a bicycle, and then I remembered my wife, who almost always tries to run me over whenever I stop for something. Could be helpful.
A bit expensive at $150 for a 160-lumen tail light... Cygolight has brighter lights for $45 on Amazon ;)

Is not brighter. 200 lumens or 160 is the same to human vision.
The human eye can not identify a difference in lumens when is 50% to 75% -/+ . Meaning 100lumens from 175 would be observable.

It’s also the wattage provided(6WH) that make that light bright not only the lumens. Like all things , there are many reasons when something is expensive/cheaper.

Well Lumens is a measure of light output, so wattage doesn't matter in that regard. The Lupine Rotlicht is a 2 watt bulb, btw (https://www.lupinenorthamerica.com/item.asp?PID=649 ) Cygolite's 2 watt version only outputs 50 lumens, but as stated up thread their 200 lumen model is under $45.

That said, how the company measures the light output is probably as big a factor here. Is spill light measured? Is the measurement with a steady state beam or with flashing?

Some of what you're buying with Lupine is build quality: it's an aluminum housing instead of plastic. One reported bummer is that it doesn't have a mount to which it clips - there's a strap you put on and take off. A bit more of a pain, especially since you'll probably need to re-do the angle adjustment when remounting, compared to the Cygolites that just clip on to a mount you screw in place.

Whatever you choose to buy, do get both head and taillights if you ride with traffic. Even in daytime. The first CFO of Amazon was killed not far from my house in 2013 while riding her bicycle at 1:30pm on a clear day. Apparently, the van driver didn't see her.

Thank you for the time to write this notes.. that’s what makes this forum really good . Knowledgeable and helpfull , friendly people !

I wasn’t using the tailight in daytime. WIll be using It from now on.
There is this other light from “ditto lightning “ is specifically for day time and is 289$... i’m onay with this one. But i guess that takes the crown since it has 300+lumens ...

Ps- The Lupine It has a mount , i just bought it. And is a very strong and secure mount.

The mount itself is 20$ . 23 or 25 i think.
Is called backpack mount. Is a thick plastic with a stopper inside that makes it secure against potholes..the only downside is that i have to remove it every time when getting off /leaving the ebike somewhere. But it takes 1 second to do that.. i had it tested through many shocks, potholes and didn’t moved a mm.

It has also the seatpost mount which I cannot use b/c of the rear carrier ; and the strap which comes in ahort or long versions.
Is a very well thought out product.37359

Last edited:
Good light. I've been using it about 2 years. I had to replace the battery but wasn't very expensive and Lupine (or US distributor) ships promptly. I bought 2 under seat rails so I can easily switch it between bikes. I use it on my 2 primary commuters.

If I decide to use a trunk bag, I use the Tern Vizzy instead. Unique about the Vizzy is, when riding in the dark, it illuminates my feet as I pedal. It is a great ground light as well as taillight. So even if a trunk bag blocks the taillight, the ground around the bike is illuminated for 360 degree visibility. There is no benefit to this in daytime riding.

Last edited:
I like that the Lupine has up to 60 hours of run time and a quasi brake light, but it's expensive. That being said, it looks to be a really quality product.

I'm hoping that when I'm ready to buy my next ebike (in a couple of years) that all ebikes come with a real brake light. It's about time, and I'm sure it would add very little to the price of the bike.

Candela gives you brightness but i never see this rating on bike lights.
Kelvin(color temperature) is another important aspect.

About 7 times cheaper, with a built-in accelerometer: $22

I was wondering why you would ever need a brake light on a bicycle
Drivers respond better/quicker when the tail light of the vehicle in front suddenly become brighter. Natural reaction. This is why cars have brake lights next to tail lights. When it stays same bright, he is less careful because he "thinks" it's moving same fast as him.

Last edited:
I've been happy with this one, although it's not available on Amazon now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G43R41L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It was about $30 when I bought it. It's bright, and gets brighter when you're stopping. I haven't googled around for another seller, but it's probably available from the manufacturer, if not other sources.

TT

I’ve had many of this lights (20-45$) range and either one of them after a few weeks or months would have an issues( either was not taking a charge, water had gotten inside, not powering on and so on..) . That was probably going on for a few years ..

After realizing i had spent 150-175$ on stuff that doesn’t work when you need it , whether is at -20degrees , after 1year or other variable, i decided to spend on higher quality stuff.
Is the same with a high quality ebike too vs an inferior one. Or any other material thing mostly.

I've been happy with this one, although it's not available on Amazon now. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G43R41L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It was about $30 when I bought it. It's bright, and gets brighter when you're stopping. I haven't googled around for another seller, but it's probably available from the manufacturer, if not other sources.

TT

Looks like it's available on Amazon.ca. I might give this light a try. Thanks for the link.

Water getting inside is easy to eliminate. Put a bead of exterior urethane caulk around the seam. There is usually only one seam.

Not taking charge = cheap battery died. Get a decent one, Amazon and Ebay have good rechargeable batteries too, not just off-brand junk. Eventually any battery in these lights needs to be replaced, even the best one will die after 800-1000 cycles .

My preference would be an integrated brake light.

Last edited:
I was wondering why you would ever need a brake light on a bicycle, and then I remembered my wife, who almost always tries to run me over whenever I stop for something. Could be helpful.

I put on at least 500 miles a month in traffic.

Back