Question on 'dropped chain'?

PLEASE, WHY is it that WE as the owners of a bike need to have specific knowledge of specifications that are not 100% verified? It makes my life miserable.
Totally agree. I used to carry my bike knowledge as a badge of honour and pity those who had to wait in line to pay their local bike shop (LBS) loads of cash, who themselves didn't make much profit either. Mad! Keeps cycling niche and for the needy, nerdy or well off. SRAM first simplified things over a decade ago and have tried to push that forward again with their new Eagle drive chain. I sense that the ebike revolution will eventually bring about bikes that need far less knowledge to maintain. But maybe my senses are off. 😀

I counted my original chain, which is indeed the KMC e9t; and my new chain. They are both 120 links total.

I wrote about the proper cage positions earlier in this thread.
How do you know Specialized has not shortened the stock chain in the production bike?
Seems they do shorten it.

Anyway, on my 2022 Vado 3.0 1x9, the derailleur is indeed around 1700 in 1st, and around 1924 in 9th.

PLEASE, WHY is it that WE as the owners of a bike need to have specific knowledge of specifications that are not 100% verified? It makes my life miserable.
You can rely on the shop, of course :)
For instance, I would not dare to build a bike wheel myself.

Thank you @Avg_Joe. The number of the chain links seems to be appropriate for your e-bike.

Update: The excellent Specialized Concept Store in Chester (LBS) worked with Specialized and said they had identified a problem with the Praxis Chainring, which they replaced like with like under warranty. I didn't quite buy (understand) the story but there have been absolutely no problems since so fair plays. The drive train has worked flawlessly even downhill on gravel tracks. They also confirmed that there wasn't a problem with the SRAM NX11 rear derailleur and explained how its clutch works differently from the Shimano clutches that I am used to. Specialized and the LBS worked together to find a solution and compensate me for the inconvenience. Problems sometimes happen, but it's how they are explained and sorted that counts. Well done on the LBS and Specialized.

The SRAM GX 1x11 X-HORIZON Rear Derailleur features a built in clutch and a Cage Lock to make it easier to remove the wheel. I suspect the Praxis chainrings wear faster than normal on an e-bike. After about 3700 miles (6000km), I started to get random drops with old chain, new chain, clutch off and clutch on. I switched to a Wolftooth chainring because I wanted a 42T and I have not had a dropped chain in the last 500 miles. It may be random chance but it seems to be fixed with a new chainring and I won't worry about it until it starts up again.
My new Vado 4.0 SL was found to have a bent Praxis Chainring, which when replaced like with like the drive chain worked flawlessly. It's a road bike chainring and might not be strong enough for even light off-road paths with stones etc. I really don't know, so I am not saying the Praxis 42T isn't up to the job but I am going to change to an off-road wide-narrow chainring when I switch to a lower toothed chain ring that better matches the terrain that I ride.

It may not be applicable here but if a road chainring gets installed in the wrong direction it will constantly drop the chain. Road rings are one directional. Narrow-wide is the way to go.

Edit - yes I know all about using a slapstrap around my pants leg or sock-over and the various other workaround. Hoping to improve on those.

Speaking of chainrings, any recommendation on a compatible bash guard / bash ring for a 46T wide-narrow 5-bolt 110 BCD to put on my Creo?

Wolftooth doesn't make once, and there's some random name stuff on Amazon but am curious if anyone's found one they like?

Last edited:
To what a purpose? Are you riding in long loose bright-coloured pants? :)
You could answer the question without mocking.

Primary purpose is the occasional light-utility use of the bike, riding in jeans or other normal attire without having to fuss around with a slap-strap, as one might do on a Vado SL - which comes with a bash ring / guard albeit 4-bolt.

It may not be applicable here but if a road chainring gets installed in the wrong direction it will constantly drop the chain. Road rings are one directional. Narrow-wide is the way to go.
Yes and chains are directional too. Shimano 11sp have an orientation of one face must be outward (2 of 4 orientations) and I think 12sp are restricted to one orientation only (in addition to being more expensive).

You could answer the question without mocking.
I'm sorry.

Primary purpose is the occasional light-utility use of the bike, riding in jeans or other normal attire without having to fuss around with a slap-strap, as one might do on a Vado SL - which comes with a bash ring / guard albeit 4-bolt.
You want to change the nature of your steed. Not mocking: an experienced senior friend suggested clipping the pants with clothes pegs like he was doing that when he was young. (Bash guards are not made for road bike chainrings).

You could also pull your socks over your pants' legs (I do it occasionally).

I usually tuck my pants into my socks for a utility run. I'm not sure a bash guard will prevent the greasy chain mark on your favorite pants or the dreaded "caught pants leg in the chain ring". One small advantage of being older is we don't worry quite as much about fashion looks.

You want to change the nature of your steed. Not mocking: an experienced senior friend suggested clipping the pants with clothes pegs like he was doing that when he was young. (Bash guards are not made for road bike chainrings).

yes, per my prior post I already have a slap-strap for my pants leg, but it's annoying and just not as good as putting a guard on the outside of the sprocket. If I have to, I'll just buy something and try it out - bur I was hoping someone might have some helpful experience to share.

As for "changing the nature" of our bikes, we do that all the time: I replaced my 700x28c tires with 700x42c as soon as I got my E5 home as it is intended as primarily a gravel bike rather than road. I will also likely - at least part time - put a lightweight rack on it (It has - get this - rack mounts already in the frame! On a road bike!) for light-utility or short bikepacking / adventure rides as well as a light-utility bike when travelling with my wife and her ebike in lieu of my 58lb Vado, especially if our accomodations may include stairs.

As for "bash guards are not made for road bike chainrings" here's one brand offering such in 110 BCD 46T, 50T, and 54T. Vado SL 5.0 comes with such a ring - but it's 44T and 4-bolt 110BCD.

Please do follow up if you have a chain guard / bash guard / bash ring to suggest.

I usually tuck my pants into my socks for a utility run. I'm not sure a bash guard will prevent the greasy chain mark on your favorite pants or the dreaded "caught pants leg in the chain ring". One small advantage of being older is we don't worry quite as much about fashion looks.
Sure, may not cover all instances, but with a usual 1/8" overhang it'll help - and provide some protection against the contact-stain at the top/front portion of the chain ring.

I can always go with the old school methods I've used for decades, but figured why not explore the possibility of improving the situation.

It's a more interesting topic than it appears at first glance. Specialized have created two bikes in the Creo and Vado that by their nature work on the road or light off-road. But with subtle component changes make them both more suitable to one or the other depending on how their owners want them to be used.

They have pitched the Vado more of a commuter road bike and the chain guard with lower (faster) gearing fits this role but switch out the chain guard and fit a higher (easier) geared chainring and it shifts to a more sports oriented gravel bike.

It sounds like the OP wanted to subtly do the opposite to his Creo. It makes sense.

@freewheeling to make it even more interesting, the gravel-oriented Creo EVO models come with a 44T chainring not 46T. But it's the 5-bolt pattern not the Vado SL's 4-bolt.

Yes, the BELLY attracts more attention than the wardrobe! ;)

The Vado's chainring guard is made of plastic and screws into special holes in the Praxis Chainring. I couldn't find the chainring or guard on the Praxis website and suspect it's a bespoke part for Specialized. Odd as the Creo's bespoke part is on the website but maybe it's because Trek use the same one.

I searched and couldn't find a solution like it from anywhere else. But I did find a company that offers a chain guard that looks to fit into the same spider holes and on top of the chainring. It might be the solution that you are after or it could be a red herring.

bbgbashguard.com

@freewheeling thanks for the info on the Vado SL setup, I've not had a chance to look at it in person.

I've seen the BBG and a couple others such as FSA. Thanks.

I'm hoping someone's already ridden down this path and has some insights to offer before I spend the money on something, or perhaps I'll be the first one to do so.

I note the BBG and others would sit between the chainring and spider, shifting the chainring inward by the guard's thickness. I'll need to measure to see if there may be clearance issues bringing the chainring 3mm closer to the frame, especially if something like a Wolftooth chainring is thicker than the OE Praxis. (plus would need thicker chainring bolts of course)

Back