Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

148608BD-DEC6-466A-B050-029D77B81D07.jpeg

A cookie for anyone that can guess that skyline 😊

Certainly easier than riding an ebike…

Brighton Beach, Moreton Bay

Brighton Beach
Seen from Moreton Bay Cycleway
But more fun than riding an ebike? There are some who do both: ride their ebikes to the fishing platform off the bridge just north of here that connects Redcliffe Peninsula to Brighton Beach and then spend the day fishing. For them it must be the best of both worlds!

Map of Moreton Bay Ride

I did my good deed for the day..found a wallet in the street, opened it up to find it belonged to a Japanese guy , surname yokomondo.
Everything in it, 50 odd quid, five bank cards, his work permit, japanese driving licence.
Im thinking, someone must have seen him...he must be the the only japanese guy in town.
Tried a few shops..a building site and even a traffic warden.

Just about to give up and saw a worried japanese guy running up the street.

I shouted over..'this yours?'
He nearly collapsed with gratitude and wouldnt leave till I took a tenner off him.
He was only young..say 25ish.
Everyone thinks he probably works in a sushi bar.

Heres a bit of my latest vid, its very mesmerising to watch, speeded up by 25%, but I was motoring along, thats the full power of the wobbly beast and I'll have to say it refuses to give up.
Dont worry about the dunes, theyre talking about cutting them back as theyve devoured the sea wall and theres no endangered turtles about.

Went on an epic ride today, first time back in beautiful Wales..gorgeous sunny day and climbed up over a few, just about mountains on an old favourite track that feels like the top of the world.
The cafe at the bottom was full of bikers and families, old couples, walkers and a few emtbikers.
Though none of them followed me to the top :)
Fell in a ditch, got covered in sheep shxt, battered with hailstones in the weirdest from nowhere downpour, met some guy who wouldnt shut up about himself.
Started telling me how he bought his bike and the story was still going 15 mins later.

Awesome day.

Wow @Stefan Mikes - almost looks like pre-COVID photos there; SO NICE TO SEE!

Sorry for no photos today. Canadian geese and Mallard ducks in muc ponds was not photogenic....

But I have exciting news to report. My 1999 EVG did more consecutive miles than she ever has done before. I just did 26miles (42km) and returned with 59% battery (62% post rest). I am really excited as I still have a battery pack coming; so I may just hit my first Century Ride ever!!!
-BB
View attachment 87121
So after my exciting ride above I discovered I broke x2 rear spokes. I will write about my recent suffering of fools once the dust settles and I am back up and running, next week. I was able to take one of my mistakes work and made a ride. Unfortunately I broke x2 more old spokes so sent the rear hub/wheel out for a total rebuild.....

Discovered my 28Ah battery pack only provides 6Ah and that explains my Bummer ride with wife rescue....

Cursed but determined to make this old EVG work!!! Even slow, she is sure fun...
-BB
177F291A-742B-4254-970F-876D51D499A7.jpeg08C5E4E5-95C9-4A35-99E1-6CBF7D3B2BCF.jpeg

Tough ride today .... used almost twice as much battery (210wh) as I’ve ever used before. High starting elevation, too much climbing, not enough food! Time to reconsider my no bottle no food “strategy!”

The bike performed magnificently though, I did most of the ride on eco, used sport for the last few minutes of the biggest climb, but then for the final 1,200 climb I was utterly bonked, put it in turbo for the first time for any length of a real ride, and watched mission control with “motor power” pegged to 300w for almost the entire climb. For some reason (cadence/gearing?) it was MUCH easier for me to put out 150w when the bike was adding 300w than it was when the bike was putting out 50.

My output was generally very low - I usually average 200-230w, but perhaps due to altitude, perhaps due to the nature of climbing, perhaps the ride was just a bit too much, average 166w with the weighted average only 178w. Support percentage was very high at 33%!

53051472-202C-45B5-85BC-43E18A82896B.jpeg

DD20CA3E-D814-427B-A48E-D87A7C5CFC1B.jpeg
A34B2AF2-B0CA-483C-BB8D-A11375296145.jpeg
7A2FEC5D-CC36-457D-AF28-4C53A1FA5172.jpeg
8DF3464C-7EB7-43B4-B45D-F2428CB37C88.jpeg
A79F1D05-381C-405A-B71E-46181BF325DD.jpeg
91C95693-7123-46AB-9348-0C47C644426F.jpeg

watched mission control with “motor power” pegged to 300w for almost the entire climb. For some reason (cadence/gearing?) it was MUCH easier for me to put out 150w when the bike was adding 300w than it was when the bike was putting out 50.
I think what Mission Control actually shows is the power drawn from the battery (there is no way to actually determine the motor power while it is very easy to measure the current and voltage to multiply them and get the power figure). Since we know the 1.1 motor produces 240 W max and the reported value was 300, it indicates the motor efficiency of 80% and it sounds about right.

I agree with the phenomenon (that you describe) of inputting more leg power at high motor assistance than it happens with low support. I cannot explain that at all but I get very similar relationship when I ride my Vado 5.0 and measure the leg power against motor assistance with the BLEvo app. Let us say I need to ride together with slow traditional cyclists. I set the assistance down to say 25%, and after the daily trip I realize my leg power was just puny. Now, the more assistance I use the higher my average leg power turns to be. Finally, if I set the assistance to 100% and do a (say) 8 km/5 mi sprint, my power input becomes quite high as for my ill legs.

I don't know why that happens. It might be we just try harder ourselves with high assistance on?

Back