2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
I've visited this Tower/Folly before in my Tower vid, thought I'd try it in the light snow., its no Aspen, but just enough to get the ambiance.
Its a bridle path so plenty of warm horse poo had melted the snow by the gates, seems horsies like to relieve themselves at these points.
View attachment 76219

This picture doesnt do justice to how cute this path is in the snow, with little waterfalls in the gulley next it, magical with the winter sun flickering in your eyes and the crunch of the tyres on crispy snow.
View attachment 76220

I saw my first human while setting up this shot, a fell runner who was very high on the delights of nature and did a full Sound of music spin, thinking I was filming it, I wasnt.
View attachment 76221

The Tower was closed because someone had fallen down the icy steps, or so I was told by the thee borderline homeless guys stood at the bottom of it drinking cans of Stella at 10am, kind of spoilt the effect, though they did offer me one.
I love this suggested imagery of riding off into challenging trails unknown and I did consider editing the video with a haunting track, so I could watch it back and dream.
View attachment 76222

Anyway that's all were going to get and if climate change is real I might have to move to Sweden.

@Chargeride I did some sleuthing on Google and came up with Darwen tower and Vaughn’s Country Cafe as your location. Looks like beautiful countryside summer and winter although I’d imagine the winds can really howl across the moors. 😊

Darwen Tower poem (1st Verse)​

DARREN TEAWR
Queen Victoria sat upon her throne deawn yon in London teawn.
For 50 yearhood keawred theear , and wi pride hood worn her creawn.
To us up here in Lancashire hoo hed been a decent lass,
So wi thowt as heaw her jubilee, why would she'nd let id pass,
Beawt some sooart o recognition, so wi pondered monny an heawr,
'Till one mon geet a breet idea, and he said "Wod abeawt a teawr?"
So a committee geet their heyds together, and they decided one and all,
Thad it should'nd be a small un, but one magnificent and tall,

Ah ok,.
evqhhdqqbt961.jpg

I've visited this Tower/Folly before in my Tower vid, thought I'd try it in the light snow., its no Aspen, but just enough to get the ambiance.
Its a bridle path so plenty of warm horse poo had melted the snow by the gates, seems horsies like to relieve themselves at these points.
View attachment 76219

This picture doesnt do justice to how cute this path is in the snow, with little waterfalls in the gulley next it, magical with the winter sun flickering in your eyes and the crunch of the tyres on crispy snow.
View attachment 76220

I saw my first human while setting up this shot, a fell runner who was very high on the delights of nature and did a full Sound of music spin, thinking I was filming it, I wasnt.
View attachment 76221

The Tower was closed because someone had fallen down the icy steps, or so I was told by the thee borderline homeless guys stood at the bottom of it drinking cans of Stella at 10am, kind of spoilt the effect, though they did offer me one.
I love this suggested imagery of riding off into challenging trails unknown and I did consider editing the video with a haunting track, so I could watch it back and dream.
View attachment 76222

Anyway that's all were going to get and if climate change is real I might have to move to Sweden.
That last pic is an absolute DREAM !😍

@Chargeride I did some sleuthing on Google and came up with Darwen tower and Vaughn’s Country Cafe as your location. Looks like beautiful countryside summer and winter although I’d imagine the winds can really howl across the moors. 😊

Darwen Tower poem (1st Verse)​

DARREN TEAWR
Queen Victoria sat upon her throne deawn yon in London teawn.
For 50 yearhood keawred theear , and wi pride hood worn her creawn.
To us up here in Lancashire hoo hed been a decent lass,
So wi thowt as heaw her jubilee, why would she'nd let id pass,
Beawt some sooart o recognition, so wi pondered monny an heawr,
'Till one mon geet a breet idea, and he said "Wod abeawt a teawr?"
So a committee geet their heyds together, and they decided one and all,
Thad it should'nd be a small un, but one magnificent and tall,
There aint no secrets anymore.
If you havent seen it, this is the original vid I made.

@Chargeride and @Prairie Dog are not helping me stick to my bike accessories budget. Love your videos and eventually I will to splurge on the camera, but 2 sets of new tires have depleted the resources for a while.
@RandallS -Safety first. I wouldn't go out in the conditions that we face without first having proper ground control in place. No doubt those Spiker Pros will allow you to gain access to sections of Nose Hill far better than what you were running on before. 👍During this morning's abbreviated acoustic outing to further field test the camera in colder conditions, the ambient temperature was -17C (-25 WC). 🥶After roughly an hour of riding there was 60% charge remaining in the camera's battery. It was basically a reflection of the same results as last night’s ride. Still have tons to learn about the camera and will continue to admire and be amazed @Chargeride videos!

@RandallS -Safety first. I wouldn't go out in the conditions that we face without first having proper ground control in place. No doubt those Spiker Pros will allow you to gain access to sections of Nose Hill far better than what you were running on before. 👍During this morning's abbreviated acoustic outing to further field test the camera in colder conditions, the ambient temperature was -17C (-25 WC). 🥶After roughly an hour of riding there was 60% charge remaining in the camera's battery. It was basically a reflection of the same results as last night’s ride. Still have tons to learn about the camera and will continue to admire and be amazed @Chargeride videos!
I've posted previously, about my crash and injury to my shoulder,. So, although I've been exploring more and more of my summer trails with the Ice Spikers, I am not going to over do it.

These suckers are amazing on keeping me safely stuck to the ground, but I'm still quite cautious. Even when I could, in theory, let 'er rip, I don't.

Keep those videos coming, I really enjoy them. I suspect a Hero9 is in the cards for Spring, which for all you folks here who don't live in southern Alberta, is usually a beautiful day. 😉

I was looking for a 2020 wrap-up thread and I guess this is it. Unfortunately no photos as I didn't get to go anywhere. In 2019 I commuted or 1/2 commuted to work 65 times. In 2020, 5 times. But I managed to exceed my 2019 miles and hit 4,000 miles in 2020. It was a different type of riding I call aimless wandering. Just going out to ride around almost daily with no destination in mind. In prior years, most of my riding was commuting or running errands - so I always knew my destination starting out. I did explore a couple of local trail systems in 2020 so that is a plus. Looking forward to 2021 and finding some new trails and maybe getting back on some old ones once this pandemic is behind us:
1610241589797.png

I did explore a couple of local trail systems in 2020 so that was a plus. Looking forward to 2021 and finding some new trails and maybe getting back on some old ones.
Revisiting some old favourites was what I did today. The bike path on the left is the Moreton Bay Cycleway and the bench is a perfect place to take a break. Today it was at 50 km, my turnaround point. It was perfect weather for an ebike ride along the coast!

Moreton Bay Cycleway, Scarborough

Moreton Bay Cycleway, Newport Park
9.35 am; 50 km
Exact Location :
village.hollies.maverick

Revisiting some old favourites was what I did today. The bike path on the left is the Moreton Bay Cycleway and the bench is a perfect place to take a break. Today it was at 50 km, my turnaround point. It was perfect weather for an ebike ride along the coast!

View attachment 76495
Moreton Bay Cycleway, Newport Park
9.35 am; 50 km
Exact Location :
village.hollies.maverick
Our group ride yesterday took us to Sonoma Mountain. San Francisco in the background. https://pjammcycling.com/climb/413.Sonoma%20Mountain%20Road%20West;mode=Summary

Attachments

• Rides21A01.jpg
    Rides21A01.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 307
  • Rides21A02.jpg.PNG
    Rides21A02.jpg.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 316
  • Rides21A03.jpg.PNG
    Rides21A03.jpg.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 325
Preparing for tomorrow's "Half-Of-KPN-Circumference Group Ride". Thanks to excellent weather forecast for Saturday, I had been planning a metric century. Too many unknown variables though. I would be riding with "Recumbent Joanna" (who has excellent personal records, such as imperial century + 4500 ft elevation gain on a day trip) but I have never been riding together with Joanna. "Recumbent Marta" will also join but I have no idea how good she is. Therefore, the metric century route was shortened to "almost 40 miles" ;)

The shortened route will enable me to travel light, no spare battery, just a backpack. Taking Vado because I can tune it to match the performance of my ride companions.

Now, a funny story. As I swapped Lovelec (untuneable) for Vado, I inspected the tyre pressure to find out the rear wheel was strangely underinflated. Floor pump, pumping, pumping... KABOOM! The inner tube exploded! I think the tube was already damaged. Now, in panic, I produced some old tube from my storage and replaced tube and the tyre. I was so frustrated that the work went extremely fast (as for me) :D Wish me luck... no more surprises please! (Good I can always take Trance instead in case of more surprises - Johnny Watts tyres are adequate for roads).

1616783004485.png

Roads only.

I've posted previously, about my crash and injury to my shoulder,. So, although I've been exploring more and more of my summer trails with the Ice Spikers, I am not going to over do it.

These suckers are amazing on keeping me safely stuck to the ground, but I'm still quite cautious. Even when I could, in theory, let 'er rip, I don't.

Keep those videos coming, I really enjoy them. I suspect a Hero9 is in the cards for Spring, which for all you folks here who don't live in southern Alberta, is usually a beautiful day. 😉
wishing you a rapid and complete recovery

Back