Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

No photos as I got caught up with a group of fast roadies today who stopped twice for about a minute on a 37 mile ride. The ride ended up with four of us in a tight pace line, trading off the lead. I was the only ebiker and these guys were in their late 60s/early 70s and so impressively fit. I had to be in tour most of the ride just to keep pace. I was a most satisfying ride.
May 15 lummi ride.jpg

1621145393535.png

Again, this ride report will be fully packed with photos. Sorry! ;)

Central Poland is not flat! Starting from Skierniewice on Saturday morning I soon found out I had to climb hills all the way towards Łódź, and moreover against cold headwind! I could have made a big mistake with batteries' range estimate. Thanks to my experience (and good software) I rode pretty slowly and saved my strength for the entire trip. (If anything would have gone wrong, I could always take a train from Łódź back to Skierniewice -- and remember, railroad will play some part in this story!)

1621145798620.png

I must say I've become a seasoned e-biker. I stopped worrying. I stopped riding fast. I started enjoying my rides. Sunshine! Birds singing around! All the smells of the Spring, like those fields of flowering rape! Honestly, I cannot understand road cyclists: What pleasure is it to just watch your front wheel and the road for, say, 180 km?! Oh, yes, I'm a tourist by heart.

1621146274128.png

On Highway 72. Poland has gone a tremendous transformation. Before 2010, the 72 was the main transit road between Warsaw and Łódź. We used to call such roads "mayhem" or "slaughter" roads. Now, after creating the network of new freeways and expressways (and repairing the old roads), the 72 has become rideable. Yes, there is still traffic there but there are occasions the road is empty, and if it is not, drivers are respectful towards you. Many of them are cyclists themselves anyway. Centre photo: A Gothic/Renaissance church from early 14th century in Brzeziny.

1621146623475.png

Moscow? That way, haha! There is an area called Landscape Park of Łódź Ascents with many villages around. Some funny people must have settled there back in the past. They created village names such as: Moscow, Ukraine, Wohlyn, Podolya, and Siberia! And the best of them is Vodka :D Inhabitants of Vodka (Wódka) followed the suit and named the streets as: Rye, Barley, Potato, Wheat etc. What a fun! I missed these villages on my current trip but I promise to you: I will make a trip there! :D

Łódź (too long; didn't read)

A fascinating city, now third largest in Poland (after Warsaw and Cracow). Its name, literally Boat (easy pronunciation: oo-ts) pertains to the city with no river whatsoever! :D A small town in Russian Poland got inhabited by the German in the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. Year 1845 meant opening of the Warsaw-Vienna Railway (important!) Almost immediately, Jewish, German and Polish entrepreneurs smelled money there. A Gold Rush started. A multinational city, gigantic contrast between the rich and the poor, seen until this day in the city architecture. Important textile industry centre got completely dilapidated under Communist rule, then collapsed with the advent of globalization. Łódź has noted its revival only since 2010s.

1621147264790.png

The modern Łódź.
Top: The city is green and getting younger now.
Centre: In the Old Town Park.
Bottom: The Freedom Square with the statue of Thaddeus Kosciusko (who must be familiar to some of you).

1621148621229.png

The rich and the poor. A typical Łódź street with old dilapidated tenement houses. At least road surface has been improved since the last time I have been there (2008).

1621148167455.png

One of the most beautiful streets in Poland, and the landmark of Łódź: Piotrkowska Street. Pedestrians, cyclists, bike rickshaws and cabs allowed only. (The street is very long).

1621148372544.png

Art Nouveau was the dominating architecture style during the Łódź "gold rush". (@Art Deco: Please correct me if wrong).

1621148818868.png

The German, Jews, Poles, and the Russian, of course. It was so-called Congress Poland, The Vistula Land, or, simply speaking: Russian Poland when Łódź gained its power. St. Olga Orthodox Church here.

1621149169026.png

At Teremok, a Russian restaurant just opposite St Olga church. Top: Pierogi ruskie. Contrary to common belief, these curd/potato filled pierogi are not "Russian"; these are Ruthenian. (Ruthenia was a far southeast Polish province way back in the past: It is in Ukraine now). Bottom: Genuine Russian "solyanka" soup, the vegetarian/fungi version. Properly served with sour cream, olives and slices of lemon.

1621149526360.png

The rich and the poor: Izrael Poznański Palace. The most impressive building of The Promised Land era. Izrael Poznański was a Polish Jew who made a fortune on cotton trade. "The Promised Land" was the nickname of Łódź during its boom. Władysław Stanisław Reymont (more on him later) got his fame with "The Promised Land" novel first: A story of a Jew, a Pole, and a German who came to the city during its boom. It is worthwhile to add the novel was made as a movie. Łódź is the home of the National Film Academy: the alma mater of Roman Polanski, Andrzej Wajda or Andrzej Bartkowiak to name only a few.

1621149972306.png

I haven't been to Vodka. I haven't been to Siberia. Yet, I have been to see Goddess (Boginia). Who invented all those village names?! Besides, the way back was downhill and downwind. It has become warm.

1621150123894.png

In Lipce Reymontowskie. Wł. St. Reymont, what a sport he was! And accomplished master tailor who didn't work for a single day in his profession. A failed play-actor. A gateman with Warsaw-Vienna Railway. Avid traveller. And the Nobel Prize winner in literature for 1924. Or, "the most famous railwayman in the world" :) Reymont used to reportedly live in the small house (top) when he was working with railroad company and writing. I have already mentioned his "The Promised Land". Reymont had underwent a serious railroad accident (as a train passenger) and received a huge indemnity (that let him travel and write). In 1909, he finished a four-volume novel "The Peasants" that was set in Lipce. A passionate study of peasants' life in Central Poland won him the Nobel prize a year before he died.

1621150962311.png

Top: "The farm as described by Reymont" museum was already closed when I arrived there.
Bottom: Skierniewice Railway Station, on the Warsaw-Vienna railroad. My start and finish.

1621151096610.png

Let me tell you a funny story:
Near to the end of my ride, I was already exhausted. As I increased the assistance to 60% for last kilometres (it was 45% during almost the whole ride), rode downhill/downwind, I sped up to 40 km/h (25 mph). Suddenly, a man riding a traditional hardtail bike (with flat bars) just zoomed past me, and he was laughing! OK. I switched Turbo mode on and was just following him. At the first climb ahead, the guy lost his steam :D I rode for the last 8 km with flying colours, haha! (Never ever try to overtake an S-Pedelec/Class 3 rider if you ride acoustic!) :D

Last edited:
Do you have “Walk” mode?
Yes.

Bosch's Walk Mode will get you out of trouble, but it's best to practise beforehand. Because the mid-drive motor is driving the rear wheel via the chain, it is necessary to choose the right gear – not too low and not too high.

As the saying goes: practice makes perfect. There are also wise words concerning not taking unnecessary risks!

In the ravine where the photo of me 'pushing' the Homage was taken the down/up concrete strips meet in a rock-strewn stream bed crossed by a mountain biker's delight of artistically-placed stone blocks. I have to admit that it looks rather tame in the photo!

Cooragook Bridge, Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

My companion, nearest the camera in the second photo, had no trouble making the crossing on his Specialized S-Works Turbo Levo. Let's keep this the correct way round: his mountain biking ability got Specialized's ultimate top-of-the-range eMTB through (I'd have flunked even with its assistance!).

Last edited by a moderator:
My companion, nearest the camera in the second photo, had no trouble making the crossing on his Specialized S-Works Turbo Levo. Let's keep this the correct way round: his mountain biking ability got Specialized's ultimate top-of-the-range eMTB through (I'd have flunked even with its assistance!).
Just noticed your second photo and remark David. Oh, I think you might do if you rode a proper e-MTB. Not necessarily an S-Works! :)

Stefan, I was thinking of you whilst riding yesterday. It was 86 degrees here when I left and warmed up to 89, which is hot for this time of year. I took lots of water to drink, but my plan was to ride a loop and stop in the neighboring town for a beer. That restaurant had been advertising a happy hour outside for a while, but the weather was not good for me to go. Now it was. I got there and......the place was dead. No happy hour and it wasn't open yet. I rode over to a shady spot against a building and sipped more water. I did notice some new murals were up so will return for pictures later.

So, no happy pictures of beers outdoors. Bah.

@Stefan Mikes Awesome effort there, you put me to shame! :p Was that your longest ride?

1621176516658.png

Earlier in the week the forecast for today wasn't very promising at all but thankfully it was totally wrong and turned out to be a perfect cycling day! It was a little chilly when I set off but it warmed up nicely, only 12C but perfect for me! No sign of rain so thats always a bonus, it was actually like a carbon copy of last Sunday! I thought it would be a good idea to stop on this hill for a photo, just after I took the photo a tractor passed by and the bike fell over!!! Thankfully very little damage as it was on the non drive side phew!

1621177097831.jpeg

I thought about trying this road until I had a look on my phone and it goes nowhere really!🤣

1621177204771.jpeg

Later on in my ride the road I was intending to use was closed, looked like it might have been a bad accident! :( Police tape was placed across the entrance and I could see lots of blue lights down the hill, I hope they were ok! So I decided to use another road which has some wonderful scenery like this!

1621177428047.jpeg

A few miles on and one of my favourite descents brought a huge smile to my face, this road is a cyclists dream!

1621177525264.jpeg

1621177561630.jpeg

After the big climb out of the valley you get a wonderful view, just love this area!

1621177654360.jpeg

Lots of climbing today just like last week and the bike performed flawlessly once again, it really is a joy to ride now! It was great to see so many cyclists on the roads today, I had a word with a roadie on a nice Cervelo who loved my bike! I told him I would need to stop in the valley to change my battery and I would catch him up on the big climb out of the valley, he said he wanted to swap!🤣

I caught him up 3/4 of the way up and although he was struggling he was still loving it! We went our separate ways at the top but I have a feeling he might be changing bikes soon!;) What a fun day that was, I will be resting my tired legs tomorrow despite a nice forecast! Tuesday is looking good also so a day off will do me good! I may change my mind in the morning of course...;)

Attachments

• elevation_profile286.jpg
    elevation_profile286.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 122
  • trip-67346452-map-full201.png
    trip-67346452-map-full201.png
    446.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 20210516_100105.jpg
    20210516_100105.jpg
    839.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 20210516_100116.jpg
    20210516_100116.jpg
    772.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 20210516_100839.jpg
    20210516_100839.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 20210516_100922.jpg
    20210516_100922.jpg
    779.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 20210516_104725.jpg
    20210516_104725.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 20210516_104729.jpg
    20210516_104729.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 20210516_110746.jpg
    20210516_110746.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 20210516_110752.jpg
    20210516_110752.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 133
  • 20210516_110825.jpg
    20210516_110825.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 20210516_112543.jpg
    20210516_112543.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 20210516_112546.jpg
    20210516_112546.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 128
View attachment 87718
Big Snip
]
Art Nouveau was the dominating architecture style during the Łódź "gold rush". (@Art Deco: Please correct me if wrong).

Second Big Snip...
Art Nouveau came first and was an expensive style to build. Flowing lines, lots of ornate metal work, arched windows, etc.
Art Deco was much cheaper to build and was "giltzy", with straight lines and geometric designs, but often not so well built and didn't hold up so well.
And no one can really keep them straight over a century later.[/I]

Last edited:
@Stefan Mikes Awesome effort there, you put me to shame! :p Was that your longest ride?
I can still remember your imperial centuries :) Yes, my longest ride.
My ill legs are not going to improve, unfortunately. I might attempt a 100 mile ride on some perfect windless warm day, a ride with a purpose. Low assistance, a companion such as Jacek. Still, I have overslept the whole rainy/stormy Sunday to recover from the 80-miler. The chain has started skipping again -- I think I have worn the drive-train out since last Autumn, despite of replacing the chain. Battery contacts need cleaning. And -- predictably -- both Vado batteries shown signs of some degradation (battery health of some 92% in both of them).

@Art Deco: Thank you for explanation! Piotrkowska is very long, and there are plethora of posh buildings from the era. Some could be Art Nouveau, and some might be Art Deco. I had no time for visiting the whole street though. Now, some friend has asked that question: "How come you could ride Piotrkowska on a moped?" :D

I can still remember your imperial centuries :) Yes, my longest ride.
My ill legs are not going to improve, unfortunately. I might attempt a 100 mile ride on some perfect windless warm day, a ride with a purpose. Low assistance, a companion such as Jacek. Still, I have overslept the whole rainy/stormy Sunday to recover from the 80-miler. The chain has started skipping again -- I think I have worn the drive-train out since last Autumn, despite of replacing the chain. Battery contacts need cleaning. And -- predictably -- both Vado batteries shown signs of some degradation (battery health of some 92% in both of them).

@Art Deco: Thank you for explanation! Piotrkowska is very long, and there are plethora of posh buildings from the era. Some could be Art Nouveau, and some might be Art Deco. I had no time for visiting the whole street though. Now, some friend has asked that question: "How come you could ride Piotrkowska on a moped?" :D
Congratulations on your longest ever ride, Stefan! :) Please be careful and don't attempt 100 miles unless you really feel you can do it without jeopardising your health, consider how you are feeling after your 80 mile ride and ask yourself if you have another 20 miles left in the locker?

I have been blessed with strong legs all of my life and now that I have my spare battery 100 miles comes easily! Only you know if it is possible but as I say be careful and think long and hard before attempting it! If you do attempt it one day have a plan b ready just in case it becomes too much, I wish you all the very best!:)

I returned to the woods today. I wanted to see how far up I could go. Since I had the Demon Dog along again, I drove closer to The Pass. It was a whole different ride today. There were two pickups parked in the middle of the road and behind them the glaciers began. One guy had locked his keys in his truck and the other guy was there to help. I rode back down and met a spandex clad guy pedaling up with a trailer loaded with gear attached to his gravel bike. I turned around and followed him. I passed him and then talked to him at the glacier. I offered to give him a ride in my pickup for a detour around the glacier, but he said he wanted to keep going. He was riding to Spokane and this was a way to avoid a no shoulder highway.

I tried to dissuade him, but he went on, thinking that there wouldn't be much snow. My experience with conditions this time of year is that snow will be deep in the shady cool spots and the way he was going would have more of a north aspect to it. Oh well. He was fit and youngish. He might not encounter much snow or it might turn into a learning experience.

It was warmer up in the woods than on Friday. I have returned to 88 degrees. It's supposed to cool off next week.

The Demon Dog, as usual, had a lovely time and is now recharging.
DSC01520.JPG

Please may I borrow your weather? I'm about to set off on my Monday morning ride and it's a bit cooler here!
View attachment 87809
You must hurry. As of the upcoming Tuesday, temps are supposed to be back in the 60s.

I had more insulation put in the attic space and refuse to have an ugly tree cut on the south side of the house. All that keeps the house nice and cool.

On the road again. This was a snow-free way to avoid the snowy sections @Cowlitz mentioned. I wouldn't recommend it, though. The descent into Brewster was steep, slippery, sandy, and quite frankly kind of scary. Once I hit the pavement I could finally let the bike go and scream the last four miles or so into Brewster. On to Grand Coulee tomorrow, though the route is long and shadeless and the weather is likely to again be hot.

Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 3.28.57 PM.png

tempImageOA02Ge.jpg

On the road again. This was a snow-free way to avoid the snowy sections @Cowlitz mentioned. I wouldn't recommend it, though. The descent into Brewster was steep, slippery, sandy, and quite frankly kind of scary. Once I hit the pavement I could finally let the bike go and scream the last four miles or so into Brewster. On to Grand Coulee tomorrow, though the route is long and shadeless and the weather is likely to again be hot.

View attachment 87826
View attachment 87827
Wow I can tell by your average speed that it is a tough route

Back