Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

My dinner at Klimatyczna Cafe in Leszno. The owner -- seeing me in cycling clothes -- either gives me a discount or offers a bonus cake. The "wuzetka" (W-Z Cake, at the right) bonus turned out to be even more delicious than the other cake!
Those cakes look yummy but even with my intolerable sweet tooth, I don’t ever recall having cake for dinner. 😋Perhaps you’ve invented a new form of repast. My wife celebrates her 58th birthday tomorrow so I appreciate the reminder. I’ll request that if she dons her cycling garb she’ll receive an extra piece! 🚴‍♀️🎂

Sea too rough for bathers?

Scotts Point Beach, Redcliffe Peninsula, Queensland

Scotts Point Beach, Queensland
11:25 am; 84 km

1620913838744.png

It was so good to get back on my awesome e bike, even despite the mist and fog that greeted me this morning! I wasn't letting that spoil my enjoyment, the bike is like brand new again, so smooth and so torquey! I normally do my longer rides on a Sunday but the weather isn't looking very promising, so why not make my first ride after my motor overhaul a long one and give it a good test? I can honestly say it passed with flying colours, after doing 150 miles on my old hybrid it was like jumping into a Rolls Royce (or Cadillac ;)), just pure fun from the moment I left the house to the moment I returned!

It wasn't the best day for photos but I did take a few of course! It was way worse than this when I set off but thankfully it dispersed gradually!

1620914308342.jpeg

The road I was intending to take was closed so I followed the diversion signs and found a new road which was pretty awesome!

1620914425887.jpeg

Eventually it led to me to a familiar road which was on my intended route and with the easterly breeze behind me I was in heaven! The descent on the other side is just breathtaking, I was enjoying it too much to stop and take photos!

1620914554732.jpeg

This is at the bottom of the descent, lovely twisty roads which are my bread and butter!:D

1620914706042.jpeg

This herd didn't take kindly to me photographing them and quickly fled the scene!🤣

1620914790523.jpeg

Eventually the sun managed to break through and it really warmed up! Not quite Stefan's 27C though!;)

1620914882544.jpeg

What an epic day that was, cycling at its awesome best! I'm about to have a well earned nap and rest my old legs, tomorrow will be much shorter but no doubt it will leave me with a huge grin thanks to this amazing bike!:D I love my old hybrid but this is just a different level, I might take it out once a month when there is no wind blowing though!;)

@Prairie Dog I love your Metrix, very nice looking bike! Maybe you could attempt that 23% climb on it!;)🤣

Attachments

• elevation_profile285.jpg
    elevation_profile285.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 191
  • trip-67142662-map-full200.png
    trip-67142662-map-full200.png
    449.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 20210513_092658.jpg
    20210513_092658.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 20210513_100704.jpg
    20210513_100704.jpg
    588.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 20210513_100727.jpg
    20210513_100727.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 193
  • 20210513_100730.jpg
    20210513_100730.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 186
  • 20210513_102045.jpg
    20210513_102045.jpg
    674.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 20210513_102112.jpg
    20210513_102112.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 20210513_111348.jpg
    20210513_111348.jpg
    838.7 KB · Views: 193
View attachment 87412

It was so good to get back on my awesome e bike, even despite the mist and fog that greeted me this morning! I wasn't letting that spoil my enjoyment, the bike is like brand new again, so smooth and so torquey! I normally do my longer rides on a Sunday but the weather isn't looking very promising, so why not make my first ride after my motor overhaul a long one and give it a good test? I can honestly say it passed with flying colours, after doing 150 miles on my old hybrid it was like jumping into a Rolls Royce (or Cadillac ;)), just pure fun from the moment I left the house to the moment I returned!

It wasn't the best day for photos but I did take a few of course! It was way worse than this when I set off but thankfully it dispersed gradually!

View attachment 87416

The road I was intending to take was closed so I followed the diversion signs and found a new road which was pretty awesome!

View attachment 87417

Eventually it led to me to a familiar road which was on my intended route and with the easterly breeze behind me I was in heaven! The descent on the other side is just breathtaking, I was enjoying it too much to stop and take photos!

View attachment 87418

This is at the bottom of the descent, lovely twisty roads which are my bread and butter!:D

View attachment 87419

This herd didn't take kindly to me photographing them and quickly fled the scene!🤣

View attachment 87420

Eventually the sun managed to break through and it really warmed up! Not quite Stefan's 27C though!;)

View attachment 87421

What an epic day that was, cycling at its awesome best! I'm about to have a well earned nap and rest my old legs, tomorrow will be much shorter but no doubt it will leave me with a huge grin thanks to this amazing bike!:D I love my old hybrid but this is just a different level, I might take it out once a month when there is no wind blowing though!;)

@Prairie Dog I love your Metrix, very nice looking bike! Maybe you could attempt that 23% climb on it!;)🤣
I am curious as to whether your new motor bearings are resulting in a noticeable improvement in either speed or range.

I am curious as to whether your new motor bearings are resulting in a noticeable improvement in either speed or range.
I'm not sure about range but it definitely feels much zippier, I think an average speed of 17.4mph with almost 4,500 ft of climbing says it all!

Another gorgeous day!
Drove an hour each way to ride a grass trail in a nature reserve and do some shopping. The first real test of my new Apple Air Tags worked perfectly after being locked on the rack for an hour and riding a few miles. I checked it frequently while shopping. First time I’ve ever left my bike locked on my rack for more than an hour. Must admit it gave me a real secure feeling. I confess that also had my GoPro set up and recording the whole time I was inside. That said I didn’t leave it alone for long.
D11D00FC-3621-4F38-9D94-D784DF3A8572.jpeg
2289E385-626C-4C2C-8C61-7E18E427A816.jpeg
35F8B973-C69B-4BA6-BB79-5DBD346F2445.jpeg

1620959235375.png

There is a Polish idiom "Doing something around the chimney" (e.g. riding, selling your own products, etc.) only in your larger neighbourhood (or, as long the smokestack is still visible). As I live by a large chimney indeed, "riding around the chimney" makes a nice pun; I have had enough of riding around the chimney! :)

Raining has been forecast for a week starting this Friday (today). So I took my last chance for a Spring ride on Thursday afternoon. Driving to Kamion -- a village at the edge of Mazovia, bordering with Land of Łódź -- took over an hour (rush hours!). And then I rode my Vado into the Land of Łódź soon. Because of the single battery setup, I was using the 35% assistance mostly, and more only if necessary (average support of 39%). I need to praise the BLEvo app for Specialized e-bikes again! It was determining the remaining range so precisely I didn't fall in the flat battery flat trap and returned to my car with 21% of charge remaining.

1620960659893.png

The Land of Łódź is the Central Poland proper. I've found the area along River Rawka very attractive as -- unlike our flat Mazovia -- there were nicely rolling mild hills there.
Top: A decent gravel road; centre: a typical village of the area; bottom: I must have had been there before... That tree!

1620960974997.png

A lot of greenery along the very small river Chojnatka. (The weather was just wonderful!)

1620961096119.png

A beautiful orchard in full blossom. As you might already have known from my stories, the area southwards of Warsaw is our Apple-Tree Land but it does not end up there. The fruit industry of Poland is huge. Everywhere I rode, there were orchards and fruit plantations. Just fancy the smell of blossom! Everywhere I rode! (I could also see blossoming cherry orchards: it looked those trees were more delicate than apple ones).

1620961651887.png

Biała Rawska: Nothing to really speak of :) Then I rode for 14 km on Highway 725. There was pretty heavy traffic there. However, I was riding downwind at high speed (sometimes hitting the 45 km/h limiter), and that part of the trip was very nice. (Orchards, orchards everywhere!)

1620961875914.png

Rawa Mazowiecka. Once, the city was located in the large Duchy of Mazovia, and it was the second capital of the land, next to Płock. The Castle of Mazovian Dukes in Rawa was completed in 14th c. Then Rawa was incorporated into the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and became one of the most important cities of the kingdom until Poland's collapse in 1792. (The current capital of the region, Łódź, was only created in 1850s as an industrial city). I liked the looks of Rawa: It really looked as a city with a long history!

1620962551603.png

I was riding North on Highway 707. Suddenly, bike-ban signs appeared. That typically means a bike path should be available. It was even better than that! A new, completely vacant side road has been built for local use! (Note the rolling hills).

1620962736499.png

And... I rode into sands :D Just before, I met a police car blocking that road. Two beautiful policewomen were apparently setting a trap for someone! I said "Hello!" to them, and they returned my greeting :) Regarding the sand ride: I'm so glad to have Schwalbe Smart Sam on my Vado! Slick tyres would have failed there. @Alaskan: I can bet Johnny Watts would do but I gladly doubt regarding Super Moto X there :D (The more I'm riding, the less I hesitate to ride gravel or dirt on my Vado).

1620963119151.png

I was exceptionally weak on that ride. Either it was the vaccine talking to my body, or just the simple fact I had no lunch or snack prior to or on the ride :) If there was a perspective for some cookies in Rawa... the things could have gone differently! :D

1620984993792.png

P.S. I was sure I had already been there... June 2nd, 2020, riding the Monster, "The Bygone Manor Houses Trail" :) Exact location: Paplin 40, 96-111 Poland.

Last edited:
@Stefan Mikes I'm glad you got such beautiful weather, love your photos and your story once again! That sand looks awful, rather you than me! :p You really should have some food before your ride, it makes a big difference! I will be getting my second vaccine on May 23rd, thankfully it is late afternoon so I can still go cycling that day if the weather allows! I decided to rest my legs today as Sunday is looking more promising now, fingers crossed!

View attachment 87479
There is a Polish idiom "Doing something around the chimney" (e.g. riding, selling your own products, etc.) only in your larger neighbourhood (or, as long the smokestack is still visible). As I live by a large chimney indeed, "riding around the chimney" makes a nice pun; I have had enough of riding around the chimney! :)

Raining has been forecast for a week starting this Friday (today). So I took my last chance for a Spring ride on Thursday afternoon. Driving to Kamion -- a village at the edge of Mazovia, bordering with Land of Łódź -- took over an hour (rush hours!). And then I rode my Vado into the Land of Łódź soon. Because of the single battery setup, I was using the 35% assistance mostly, and more only if necessary (average support of 39%). I need to praise the BLEvo app for Specialized e-bikes again! It was determining the remaining range so precisely I didn't fall in the flat battery flat trap and returned to my car with 21% of charge remaining.

View attachment 87485
The Land of Łódź is the Central Poland proper. I've found the area along River Rawka very attractive as -- unlike our flat Mazovia -- there were nicely rolling mild hills there.
Top: A decent gravel road; centre: a typical village of the area; bottom: I must have had been there before... That tree!

View attachment 87486
A lot of greenery along the very small river Chojnatka. (The weather was just wonderful!)

View attachment 87487
A beautiful orchard in full blossom. As you might already have known from my stories, the area southwards of Warsaw is our Apple-Tree Land but it does not end up there. The fruit industry of Poland is huge. Everywhere I rode, there were orchards and fruit plantations. Just fancy the smell of blossom! Everywhere I rode! (I could also see blossoming cherry orchards: it looked those trees were more delicate than apple ones).

View attachment 87491
Biała Rawska: Nothing to really speak of :) Then I rode for 14 km on Highway 725. There was pretty heavy traffic there. However, I was riding downwind at high speed (sometimes hitting the 45 km/h limiter), and that part of the trip was very nice. (Orchards, orchards everywhere!)

View attachment 87492
Rawa Mazowiecka. Once, the city was located in the large Duchy of Mazovia, and it was the second capital of the land, next to Płock. The Castle of Mazovian Dukes in Rawa was completed in 14th c. Then Rawa was incorporated into the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and became one of the most important cities of the kingdom until Poland's collapse in 1792. (The current capital of the region, Łódź, was only created in 1850s as an industrial city). I liked the looks of Rawa: It really looked as a city with a long history!

View attachment 87493
I was riding North on Highway 707. Suddenly, bike-ban signs appeared. That typically means a bike path should be available. It was even better than that! A new, completely vacant side road has been built for local use! (Note the rolling hills).

View attachment 87494
And... I rode into sands :D Just before, I met a police car blocking that road. Two beautiful policewomen were apparently setting a trap for someone! I said "Hello!" to them, and they returned my greeting :) Regarding the sand ride: I'm so glad to have Schwalbe Smart Sam on my Vado! Slick tyres would have failed there. @Alaskan: I can bet Johnny Watts would do but I gladly doubt regarding Super Moto X there :D (The more I'm riding, the less I hesitate to ride gravel or dirt on my Vado).

View attachment 87495
I was exceptionally weak on that ride. Either it was the vaccine talking to my body, or just the simple fact I had no lunch or snack prior to or on the ride :) If there was a perspective for some cookies in Rawa... the things could have gone differently! :D

View attachment 87516
P.S. I was sure I had already been there... June 2nd, 2020, riding the Monster, "The Bygone Manor Houses Trail" :) Exact location: Paplin 40, 96-111 Poland.
Another gorgeous ride Stefan! I am very jealous :)

Guys. I'm taking a plunge on Saturday (the weather should be fine). 75+ miles Skierniewice -> Łódź -> Skierniewice. Łódź (literally: Boat) is an industrial city developed since 1850s by Jewish, German and Polish entrepreneurs for textile industry. Wish me luck -- it's going be a long ride with the farthest waypoint at famous Piotrkowska Street :D

Guys. I'm taking a plunge on Saturday (the weather should be fine). 75+ miles Skierniewice -> Łódź -> Skierniewice. Łódź (literally: Boat) is an industrial city developed since 1850s by Jewish, German and Polish entrepreneurs for textile industry. Wish me luck -- it's going be a long ride with the farthest waypoint at famous Piotrkowska Street :D
Good luck Stefan and don't ride on an empty stomach! ;) A good meal the night before a long ride is essential, I'm sure you know that!

Back