Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

42 Mile Tour of beautiful Madison County, VA

Yesterday was to be the 34th annual Tour de Madison bike ride...except the 33rd annual in 2020 wasn't ... for obvious reasons (cough Covid cough).

So yesterday the revived, recycled, and renewed 33rd ride was held, albeit one year later. It saw a total of 480 riders signed up, much to the delight of the organizers. All that pent up demand to get out and enjoy an organized ride filled the three distances offered: metric century (60 miles), 42 mile (67 km), and a 20 mile (48 km) "family" distance. The ride was scheduled for a perfect day with perfect weather and perfect scenery to ooooh and ahhh over.

Who could have predicted that a cyber attack on a major East Coast pipeline supplier would happen only a week prior, throwing every motorist (except those of us with electric cars) into a panicked tailspin of hoarding gas and buying out, thus effectively shutting down, almost every gas station from Georgia to Maryland. It was Covid all over again, but this time in a gas can.

Even though about 100 riders were a no show from the gas shortage issue, most of the cyclists entered in the Tour were more resourceful, carpooling with friends who had big vans, multi-bike carriers, and pickups that could carry an entire flotilla of bikes and their riders. Lack of gas wasn't going to deter this crowd. We wanted to ride, and ride we did.

Screenshot_20210516_205741_copy_768x800.jpg

122 riders were in my distance, but due to Covid rules there was no mass start for any distance. Each of us took off on our course after checking in, making the start very relaxed and very easy going. This was the view that greeted me for the first 10 miles: Shenandoah National Park and the Appalachian Mountain Range. One of the oldest mountain ranges on our planet.

IMG_20210515_094359_8_copy_1624x604.jpg

My photographs couldn't even begin to do these mountains justice in capturing their stunning beauty, but I was so amazed at the gorgeous scenery I was certainly going to try to capture at least some decent images. My stopping to take pictures somewhat confused the riders behind me as they passed - guessing no one on these rides ever stops to whip out a camera for a snapshot because they are all worried they might not get back to the ride site before the sun goes down (the undying curse of the analog bike rider) - and each slowed down to ask if I was OK. So sweet! I assured them I was fine, and a few minutes later, while passing each one, told them I had gotten some great photos.

I'm sure they thought I was a bit crazy. Who goes to a ride to stop and take photos? Seriously, the entire aim of a ride is to torture oneself grinding up hills, and flying downhill to slingshot oneself up the inevitable next hill. Honestly, I think they're the crazy ones, but I didn't bother to relay that. I merely enjoyed 42 miles of some of the prettiest scenery, rocketed down the hills with carefree abandon, while letting my Vado tackle the uphills as I sightseed.

IMG_20210515_105714_8_copy_1527x581.jpg

The residences and properties along the way ran the gamut of huge, proud, and massively imposing brick and stucco manor houses set high and smugly on lofty knolls of pristine, beautifully groomed landscapes to rusty redneck trailers in deep shade "hallows" with a plethora of junk decorating weedy perimeters that obviously hadn't seen a working lawn mower for the past several months. Or years. Or decades. Or ever.

It was a heady dichotomy of lifestyles in a setting that never failed to awe in the natural beauty of the land. I had to keep reminding myself to look at the road periodically because I was so mesmerized by my surroundings.

There was one moment where I passed the most eclectic garden ever imagined. It was if a garden statuary business had exploded on this one spot adjacent to a trailer house, scattering the most diverse assortment of garden do-dads hither and yon amid which a mirage of colorful flowers sprang up from the earth to highlight each concrete or plastic figurine as if it was specially planted for the enjoyment (or in my case, amusement) of every passerby.

I simply had to turn around and take a photo, again much to the confusion and consternation of the riders coming up behind me, and having to ensure one and all I was fine, including the passing SAG car that slowed down just to make sure I was OK.
IMG_20210515_103317_8_copy_1305x613.jpg

A small Chihuahua, taking very seriously its self imposed guarding of the trailer house's front stoop, let me know in no uncertain terms that I should not be taking this photo. I assured the dog I wasn't there to steal any of the planted treasures and would be on my way in a moment when I heard a human voice rise up, addressing the dog, from the crowd of statuary. I paused and looked around, finally spotting the source of the voice as the diminutive head of a tiny elderly woman, bent in her weeding duties I assume, peeked over the heads of her concrete menagerie to see who her little guard dog was yipping at. She was barely as large as her statuary, but since she was the only one moving (or breathing) in that crowd, I waved hello and told her I loved her garden and had stopped to take a picture. She seemed confused and I suspected she hadn't heard me, partly because her yappy little dog had yet to figure out it could shut up at that point, and because I was out on the road and far enough away for her not to hear. So I pointed to her garden, gave her a thumbs up, and mimed taking a photo. I think she smiled and waved, or maybe that was the windmill in front of her spinning in the breeze, it was hard to discern, but I guess my pleasure in her lawn display was acceptable. I took my photo, packed away my phone, gave her a final thumbs up, and continued on my way, grinning up a storm.

I had packed my 500w second battery with me since I wasn't sure if my 606w battery would be enough for the distance with the hills. But since the initial 10 miles was essentially downhill, I was able to cuise easily in the Vado's eco mode, saving electrons. I suppose it was just my opinion, certainly not a fact, but it felt like most of the ride was downhill with very few uphills. I have gotten less self-conscious at passing other riders going up hills, and now just politely announce I was passing on the left and no longer added a self-effacing apology. I just laugh now when I hear a rider call out that they want my bike.

At each of the rest stops it was always the older guys who would come over to check out my bike and ask questions. I didn't see any other electric bikes on the ride, and a lady my age, riding alone without a hubby tagging along, is really an anonomly. There are so few women on these rides anyway, so I was very much an unusual sight. A chimera. With a bike well worth investigating. One older gentleman told me about another elderly rider, about 70 years old he said, who flew past him on a recent ride. "Going up hill?" I asked. He nodded and said that was the only way he knew the other rider was on an electric bike because it was one with the battery on the downtube. "You couldn't tell it was electric", he explained, "it looked like a regular bike except he passed me going uphill like a rocket." He was really examining my bike with great interest as I talked about the latest lightweight electric road bikes. I am pretty sure there would be a lightweight electric under him before long, and he'd be the subject of the other older guys watching him rocket up hills with happy alacrity.

At one point during the ride I came across a knot of riders on the side of the road. Someone had had a flat which another rider was fixing. I stopped a bit away from the group to take a shot with the mountains in the distance, and to take a drink. Several more riders coming up decided to stop for a moment as well and the spot started to get a bit crowded. I took off at that point, enjoying the day, the roads, the course, and the fact that my Vado was performing in silent perfection.
IMG_20210515_105704_8_copy_1131x776.jpg

By the time I was back on the 10 mile road heading to the ride site my knees were telling me they'd had enough. My battery was at about 23%, so I threw the bike into turbo and cruised the final uphill in comfort. I arrived back at the car with 6% battery remaining. Not bad. Not bad at all.

I'd given my hubby my lunch ticket and found him relaxing in his lawn chair next to the car, chowing down a pulled pork sandwich, coleslaw, potato salad and a fruit cup as I pulled up. He was in heaven. The rider parked one vehicle over from us arrived a few minutes after me. An older gentleman who looked completely beat. I asked how he liked the ride, and he said in an utterly exhausted voice, it "about killed" him. All the hills, he said. Must have been those hills I didn't notice because the Vado was having too much fun zipping up them in turbo. I asked if he had a long way to travel to go home. "No. I live locally", he said. I laughed and said he could have just ridden home rather than expend the precious gas to drive to the ride. "No way!" he exclaimed. "I would be dead, then!"

We talked about the gas situation as we loaded our respective bikes and he said that almost every gas station in Madison County was out of gas. I had noticed the same on our 80 mile trip there. I left to go get my ride t-shirt, a second lunch for hubby which delighted him no end, and then, with the Vado firmly stored onto the bike carrier, said goodbye to our parking lot neighbor and headed the one and a half hours for home. (We did find one, only one, gas station on the way home that actually had gas. Crowded but without the long lines. Pulled in, topped off the 60mpg Prius with 3 gallons at a pre-jump price, and continued to home.)

10/10 would ride this event again on the Vado. It was beyond fun, all the riders were friendly, the volunteers were terrific, the course was just challenging enough, and the scenery about the most beautiful I've ever seen.

Now that I have just installed a hitch on my electric car, I can drive to next year's event with my electric bike on my electric car. A win-win.

Last edited:
I returned to the woods today. I wanted to see how far up I could go. Since I had the Demon Dog along again, I drove closer to The Pass. It was a whole different ride today. There were two pickups parked in the middle of the road and behind them the glaciers began. One guy had locked his keys in his truck and the other guy was there to help. I rode back down and met a spandex clad guy pedaling up with a trailer loaded with gear attached to his gravel bike. I turned around and followed him. I passed him and then talked to him at the glacier. I offered to give him a ride in my pickup for a detour around the glacier, but he said he wanted to keep going. He was riding to Spokane and this was a way to avoid a no shoulder highway.

I tried to dissuade him, but he went on, thinking that there wouldn't be much snow. My experience with conditions this time of year is that snow will be deep in the shady cool spots and the way he was going would have more of a north aspect to it. Oh well. He was fit and youngish. He might not encounter much snow or it might turn into a learning experience.

It was warmer up in the woods than on Friday. I have returned to 88 degrees. It's supposed to cool off next week.

The Demon Dog, as usual, had a lovely time and is now recharging.
View attachment 87822

I suspect Demon Dog has more fun than you. 😄🚴🏼‍♀️🐕

My Sister Betsy and her husband David are visiting us from Maine this week. They live on an island in Casco Bay, just a 15 minute ferry ride into Portland. The island is relatively flat so their acoustic bikes get lots of use visiting friends or doing loops around the island, which faces Casco Bay and Portland Bay on the west side and the Atlantic Ocean and Portugal on the East.

We had a perfect riding day yesterday, temperatures in the mid 60s, sunny with light breezes. They had never ridden ebikes before so we went out for a gentle ride that ended up going 30 miles.

The ride which averaged 13.7 mph, about 4 mph below my average speed normally. It certainly boosted my range as I finished the ride with 56% remaining in the battery and showing a remaining range of 33 miles. As you can see on the ride report image, I was in tour mode for almost the whole ride, with a few hills climbed in Sport mode. Neo continues to amaze me with its range on one 500 watt battery.

May 16 betsy david.jpg

20210516_135333.jpg

20210516_135411.jpg

20210516_135427.jpg

20210516_135153.jpg
20210516_135235.jpg

Attachments

• 20210516_135333.jpg
    20210516_135333.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 20210516_135333.jpg
    20210516_135333.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
My Sister Betsy and her husband David are visiting us from Maine this week. They live on an island in Casco Bay, just a 15 minute ferry ride into Portland. The island is relatively flat so their acoustic bikes get lots of use visiting friends or doing loops around the island, which faces Casco Bay and Portland Bay on the west side and the Atlantic Ocean and Portugal on the East.

We had a perfect riding day yesterday, temperatures in the mid 60s, sunny with light breezes. They had never ridden ebikes before so we went out for a gentle ride that ended up going 30 miles.

The ride which averaged 13.7 mph, about 4 mph below my average speed normally. It certainly boosted my range as I finished the ride with 56% remaining in the battery and showing a remaining range of 33 miles. As you can see on the ride report image, I was in tour mode for almost the whole ride, with a few hills climbed in Sport mode. Neo continues to amaze me with its range on one 500 watt battery.

View attachment 87867
View attachment 87873
View attachment 87868
View attachment 87869
View attachment 87870 View attachment 87871
You do have enough Ebikes to start your own bike touring biz!

lbsYou do have enough Ebikes to start your own bike touring biz!
Just 4. I know you have at least two.

One of the guys in our ride groups collects and faithfully restores classic, high-end road bikes going back about 50 years. He always shows up for rides in an impeccably maintained bike with a matching jersey (brand or color or both). He is a lean strong rider in his sixties who is always in the fast group. He survived terminal brain cancer in his 30s, with chemo that almost killed him and got him down to 90 lbs at 6 feet tall. He was managing a bike shop in California at the time.

He admits to "around 60" when anyone asks, "How many bikes do you have anyway?"

News!

Jacek has looked to my Vado. It has turned out the outer plate of one of my chain links snapped during my sprint into Skierniewice! Lucky me -- it happened just at the finish line! (I always carry chain tool and a master link with me anyway). My brother also cleaned battery connectors and made one of inner tube valves operable (it got blocked with Slime).

Yet another glitch cured: One of the guide pulleys of the derailleur wore out. Jacek temporarily fixed it (eventually, both pulleys need to be replaced). How fast these e-bikes do wear out... :)

News!

Jacek has looked to my Vado. It has turned out the outer plate of one of my chain links snapped during my sprint into Skierniewice! Lucky me -- it happened just at the finish line! (I always carry chain tool and a master link with me anyway). My brother also cleaned battery connectors and made one of inner tube valves operable (it got blocked with Slime).

Yet another glitch cured: One of the guide pulleys of the derailleur wore out. Jacek temporarily fixed it (eventually, both pulleys need to be replaced). How fast these e-bikes do wear out... :)
Jacek is truly invaluable. We should all be so lucky to have our own mechanic.

Unusually cool day today so I took advantage and rode to Sacaton ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacaton,_Arizona ) on the Gila River Indian Reservation. It was mildly breezy, a lot of into the wind riding.
It was 74ºF when left at 07:45 and it was still cool 85ºF when I got home at 11:00 it was about a 47-mile ride.
51186087483_90d4e243fb_h.jpg

Route
51186939805_3b3ea2a129_h.jpg

You can see where I am going – below the highest peak is a pass, turn right at the top of the hill on the pass and there is Sacaton at the bottom of a small hill.
51186088333_e24d57ff46_b.jpg
[/url]
I had to turn around to take a picture of a glove on a pole in front of a Catholic Church; The San Tan Mountain Chain in the back ground.
51185178857_319aac9950_o.jpg
[/url]
Almost there past the bridge of color in the middle of the desert, cross the HWY, up a little hill pass that goes through the mountains, at the top of the pass turn right and glide into Sacaton, which is in the middle of those mountains.
51186652204_78504ce64b_h.jpg

Idle time
51186980325_236154fab4_h.jpg

I almost forgot to take a picture of the town so just before I left I snapped a picture of a park across the street, not a representation of the town, just needed to document me being there.

A hot, windy, and sunny day:

View attachment 87899

Early morning by the Columbia River:

View attachment 87900

View attachment 87901

View attachment 87902

More sagebrush steppe country:

View attachment 87903

This was the largest hunk of concrete in the world until the 1970's (fun fact, some of the concrete did not completely cure until the 1980's). Also, the largest power plant in the United States at 6800 mW:

View attachment 87904
Looks like a fantastic ride. Roll on Columbia, roll on.

1621345814183.png

Back to my favourite quiet back roads today, 36 miles of pure fun in the sun! :D I did get a few sprinkles of rain but not enough to even wet the roads, there were a few squalls around and it looked like one was pretty close to home when I was returning! Not long after I got home it just passed me by but only just missed my area, some people in the surrounding area got soaked for sure! It was 14C today, I think Spring might be here at last but I wouldn't count on it! My motorbike is due its annual test tomorrow, I'm hoping it stays dry for me...

This photo pretty much sums up my day, beautiful scenery and the sun beating down!

1621345901689.jpeg

I had just descended this awesome hill at 41.6mph, it sure is a buzz!

1621346008738.jpeg

Nice clear view of the hills today and the Firth of Forth!

1621346110040.jpeg

1621346179580.jpeg

@Alaskan I do all my own bike repairs also, it helps being mechanically minded of course as I was a car and truck mechanic in my younger days! Of course bikes are completely different but with the help of Youtube I can pretty much repair most things! It sure helps not having to pay someone to carry out your repairs!;) At least I only have 1 e bike to look after, 4 would be a lot of work!:p Stefan has it easy with his expert brother at his disposal, I hope you pay him well, Stefan! :p

Attachments

• elevation_profile287.jpg
    elevation_profile287.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 119
  • trip-67458991-map-full202.png
    trip-67458991-map-full202.png
    416.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 20210518_102424.jpg
    20210518_102424.jpg
    849.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 20210518_102456.jpg
    20210518_102456.jpg