New Frey Owners

Average consumer will buy a Rad or inexpensive rear hub for $1.5K or less. I don't think you have full appreciation for the difference between FREY and other Chinese suppliers on alibaba. Most of the other suppliers are looking to sell bikes in volume, not direct to consumer like FREY. Who else is supplying Ultra bikes of equivalent quality cheaper than Frey, even after you include $500 shipping?

Here's one example and yes, they are nice and friendly like Frey.

Btw, I'm not knocking Frey. I think they are one of the better ones on Alibaba with lots of satisfied customers. All I'm trying to point out is that their ability to compete in the U.S. market is diminishing. If you disagree, then let's just agree to disagree.

Real ebike enthusiasts build their own ebikes.
en·thu·si·ast
/inˈTH(y)o͞ozēˌast,enˈTH(y)o͞ozēˌast/
noun
a person who is highly interested in a particular activity or subject.
"a sports car enthusiast"

People that build their own I would say are mechanical enthusiasts.

New video by Micah @ Electrek
Thanks Marcel for providing the link to Micah’s review of the AM1000. I became interested in Frey bikes after seeing his review of the CC back in December. That video and the Endless-Sphere My Bafang forum convinced me that Frey bikes are a great value and a good choice for my first ebikes.
My AM1000 and EX (pics on page 1) were shipped on April 17th and hopefully will arrive within the next couple of weeks but I’m already having second thoughts about my color choices. I like the black metallic AM1000 I’m getting but I really like the platinum AM1000 Stanleybb50 posted on the ES site and the yellow one on Micah’s video. I chose the deep blue color of my EX from the YS paint catalog but I didn’t consider the look with the Frey decals. There is very little contrast between the blue frame and the black decals. Do you know if the decals are easily removable without damaging the paint? I think the bike would look better with brighter color decals like fuchsia or tangerine. Does Frey have different color decals to choose from similar to the frame color choices?

Paul, as far as I know the stickers are on top of the final coating, no clear coat over them, so they should be relatively easy to remove.
Maybe you can use a hot air gun at low temperature to ease the process?
You would need to check with Ivy or Abby if they have stickers in such colors. Good luck with your delivery and have fun with the two bikes!

Paul, as far as I know the stickers are on top of the final coating, no clear coat over them, so they should be relatively easy to remove.
You would need to check with Ivy or Abby if they have stickers in such colors. Good luck with your delivery and have fun with the two bikes!
Thanks. I’m sure the color of the decals will be the last thing I’ll be thinking about when the bikes arrive but it’s nice to know I can remove them if the look bothers me.

What he says is true. The decals are applied after the paint.

Here is my initial report on the FREY CC Bike:
Positives;
-this thing is huge, im 5' 9 1/2" and the "crossbar" is at my crotch!
- incredible power and speed
- great at off road and single track. I describe ANY bike with 27.5" wheels or bigger to be less agile than a 26" tire bike. That said, Ive bombed this thing down technical single track and it performed like a champ, easily passing hard tail riders, tho no air yet.....
- high quality perfect set up. Brakes & shifting are perfect
-a small plastic piece had a bit of shipping damage, ivy put a new part and related screws in the mail immediately- that is perfectly fair and i am happy
- MY RANGE IS LONGER THAN OTHERS ON THIS THREAD. Im getting about 60 + miles per full charge, using Eco 1 & 2. Remember that new batteries are weird and must be fully charged and depleted several times to get up to full capacity!!
- the charger is small and very light so it can easily be brought along for the ride
- integrated lighting is hooked to the brake levers!
- all specced parts are there. SR seat, wellgo pedal, promax stem post and bar, quanta hubs etc
- incredible head turner. Folks in my neighborhood are blown away, especially my neighbor who bought three 250 watt hub drive bikes-the look on his face was hilarious. Im getting "woooo sexy" quite a bit. The folks at work (well those who still come in once and a while like myself) are pissed off that they have paid huuuge money for Trek, Specialized and Tern e bikes, and mine is twice the speed and higher quality to boot.

Negatives:
-this thing is huge, im 5' 9 1/2" and the "crossbar" is at my crotch! Not really a step through.
- 27.5 tires are weird if you are used to 26, its a different experience
- the charger is very small, plastic and lightweight, so its portable but is the quality there?
- no shift sensor, as my first e bike i assumed a shift sensor was included on all high end e bikes. Not this one. And it is necessary if you want your cassettes to last. I've already taught myself to tap the brake lever just enough to kill the motor (but not enough to move the caliper) when shifting
- the water bottle holder actually is in the way. When getting on or off the bike it is nearly impossible to not rub against it. If i ever dump this thing, my junk is going to smash into that darn bottle cage.
- the negatives are minor imho. Yea a shift sensor is necessary on all ultra equipped bikes but other than that one main caveat i would absolutely buy this bike again and again.
This bike is 100% to claim. It is absolutely just what Frey says it is, a unique TRUE hybrid commuter/ off road e bike.
Definitely recommended!!!!

Here is another initial impressions report on the CC, which I would summarize as being enthusiastically positive just as the “Happy Days” fan here, but this time from a first time ebike owner. So I’m mostly going to ramble on my “ride experience” satisfaction without any preconceived notions of whether it’s less refined than European implementations others have described as better on this forum. The CC is all I know and hence will be the basis for all future ride comparisons if the opportunity arises after COVID lifts.

First of all, does the one size fits all frame actually fit me? I’m 5-8, 185 lbs, with a 29 inch inseam. Yes it fits (I can standover the shock tunnel with several inches to spare; maybe severely bow legged people could have a problem), but in comparison with my KHS FAT bike where I’m hunched forward a bit with 15-20 percent of weight on the bars, on the CC I’m more upright with most of my weight on my butt. This results in butt ache after only an hour and half so. Interestingly the stock saddle has nearly the same shape as my Fat bike’s seat which I learned to tolerate. As mentioned by other reviewers, the CC is both beautiful and well made with an aura of classic elegance combined with obvious ready to go utility. Reminds me of a Range Rover or maybe one of those long hooded vintage pre-WWII cars Jay Leno has stashed away in the back of his garage. So with this in mind I’ve ordered a wider cheek Brooks B17 saddle as a remedy. Even if it doesn't help my ass, it’s sure going to look good.

In thinking about how to describe my impressions of the human factors/man-machine aspects of riding the CC, fortuitously I ran into a Specialized advert for their new turbo vado models (apparently these have a forum cult following) where they use the term ‘rider amplification” with rating of 2x You and 4x You for lowest and highest powered models respectively. Hence the obvious thing to do is figure out what the CC’s “Xx You” rating is. My guess was the x factor in this rating was the motor’s nominal cw power, but to be sure I went to the Brose website to get their take on this. Here you this interesting 5 dimensional pentagonal representation of the drive characteristics of their various motors:

Uo6O1lUafi58II936OQnTrGijeTB6iMshDMlrjcQ-XrWyUv80tk5MDmsPy9vMrGnNS0jDLzlcZ1o7JrULMKe0cW4gd0AjVQlcXNy80eYA5zz0A8g67jQssvof7aY1pFGtv6S0oE

Here we see all the motors seem to be rated at the same 250 watt European limit, with only the torque rating differing. So advertised “assistance rating” is some sort of BS Marketing word mish mash of cw power and torque. But when you think about it, it’s the quality of the motor’s torque delivery you feel when you hit that big hill and not necessarily how fast you summit.

The dynamics of the ride quality I presume has to do with the torque delivery to the rear wheel which determines acceleration which should reasonably correlate with torque at the cranks. Since the torque is the moment arm length times tangential force for a seated 185 lb rider this works out to roughly 145 Nm. Note this is the upper limit for a CC rider who mostly never rises off the seat to pedal. For AM1000 and EX dropper posted riders capable of 300-400 pound deadlifts clipped in with a firm grip on the bars, the torque could be several times higher at least for short bursts.

So my torque based ride quality ratings for the Frey CC@160 Nm vs a Specialized vado@90Nm are:

CC: me and 1.1t

Vado: me and 0.6t,

Where “me” is a seated 185 lb rider.

My main use case for the CC is to wander further exploring the nearby neighborhood multi use hiking/biking trail system. The terrain is mostly flat, yet somewhat hilly because of random moraine deposits. The trails are also well used, especially now under COVID conditions with the assorted traffic of preoccupied unpredictably wayward walkers on their phones, unleashed dogs and kids, mother-pram convoys, and of course lots of bikers of all shapes and sizes. So while you really can’t ride particularly fast all the time, slow speed meuveability and the ability to avoid traffic by powering up the occasional grassy knoll is an important part of my experience. For this the CC works wonderfully well. While it could be that time constants of the torque sensor and PWM power ramp up/ramp down transfer functions could be optimized, it works pretty well for me as is.

Other things I don’t like besides the seat include the fenders and front light. While the plastic fenders look good in silhouette I don’t think they’re in it for the long haul. The front light seems vestigial and way too wimpy to be of any use in the dark. Biktrix sells a maybe overpriced upgrade kit which uses the controller toggled lamp signal to run a switch relay wired directly to the battery, but nowadays I don’t ride much after dark anyways. It's the vampires and mosquitoes.

Stay Well

I'd agree regarding the fenders. While I appreciate Frey wants to offer economical choices, quality fenders don't cost that much. Watt Wagons uses SKS Bluemels 75 U. Retail is $75 but I doubt they cost more than $40 wholesale. Frey puts respectable minimum spec on their bikes so why cheapen them with $5 plastic fenders? I would have gladly paid more for proper fenders, perhaps I should have asked if they could upgrade to SKS Bluemels. The rear fender isn't so bad. It attaches to the rack which provides a bit of stability. However, the front fender is held by zip ties (which Frey forgot to send me) to attach to the front fork arch and 2 flimsy skewers on each side that are very short so need to be mounted high which I think makes them wobble more. The front fender was chattering so much so I started looking at options.

There aren't many fenders wide enough to fit 27.5" x 2.4" (60mm) tires with 10mm of clearance other than the SKS Bluemels (75mm) which look pretty industrial. I only wanted to replace the front fender so was looking for something to match the looks of the rear fender. Someone locally had some new Planet Bike Cascadia ALX (aluminum) 29" x 65mm on ebay for $40 so I thought I would try them for science. At 65mm they are a little thinner than the stock fenders but they fit and have more vertical coverage. Took me a few hours last night to figure out how to install them. They come with long skewers to attach to the axle so needed to push them out to be ablle to attach to the fork straps that came with the stock fenders, then lop off the exess with a bolt cutter. Haven't gone for a ride yet but they feel solid and stable so I think this is going to work for me.

1589757680265.png

For all Frey Cc owners, how does it feel if you turn motor off and just use it as a normal pedal bike? Is it a natural feeling with no resistance?

I don't feel motor resistance as much as the sheer weight of the bike when the motor is off. Sometime I roll down the driveway and cruise along on the flats without realizing the motor is off until I hit an incline at which point I'm fumbling to turn on the assist while shifting to lower gear. I usually keep the PAS at Eco 1 and it's more than enough to offset the weight of the bike. If I pedal hard enough I can hit 28 mph on flats even in the lowest assist.

Do have a source or evidence for this suggestion? I mean, "some have suggested" is about the weakest statement possible. It this is true, it would be a serious issue, so it seems kind of reckless to suggest this without providing any more info.

ebike range estimates seem sorta like the wild west right now, with few rules. Minimally, I think most ebikes assume you'll be pedaling at the same time. And for hub-drive bikes, I suspect your gear choice matters, and with all bikes, velocity makes a HUGE difference (power goes up with the cube of velocity). So if you cruise your CC at the same speed you ride your RadRover, you'd probably get better range from a charge.

Here's a fun bike power calculator: https://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html
Using the default parameters, cruising at 15mph takes 88.18 watts, while cruising at 25mph takes 326.16 watts.

So if you have a 1000Watt-hour battery, at 15mph you can cruise for 11.34 hours and cover 170 miles.
But at 25mph you can only cruise for 3.1 hours and cover 76.6 miles.

Obviously those specific numbers won't match your specific bike, but the point is that cruising at 25 instead of 15 reduces your range by more than half.

Some observations on the Frey CC battery and some early range measurement results

I ordered my CC with an extra battery. Both have a serial number spec manufacturer’s sticker label with serial numbers within 5 digits of each other, probably indicating that they’re from the same production run.

mK1qCf7akQnxAjaALqdkym-cO_vds_OdBNKGTSJ-ml3F2eAf0HMW3a3AVhZbLytzVA_nniazN8MyxzwECpTYpMaeN1_QhDWAcouXIzikcv22UFlbzwMGmDXnMO7tHaq4v8xh7Qo

Apparently Frey outsourced this run of CC batteries to TurnLife with some chatter over on Endless Sphere that they spec’d pure Ni buss bars of sufficient gage for no voltage sag worries. This could be true --- maybe some enterprising soul will verify this some day; what is true for sure though that the battery case lock detent design seems very robust with no discernable rattling as others have observed with the AM1000 where some seem to have resorted to ACE bandage like velcro wraps to stabilize/mitigate rattling. It’s early days though and entropy always increases with time.

In the two weeks I’ve owned the CC I’ve only managed to put on about 50 miles in a series of shortish 10 mile or so rides when the weather’s been good. The 10 mile range limit has to do with my butt’s incompatibility with the stock seat more than anything else. I live in the suburbs of Minneapolis with access to an extensive hiking/biking trail system that wind their way around neighborhood backyards, and a myriad of glacial lakes and ponds and marshy wetlands characteristic of Minnesota. So the terrain is mostly flat, but somewhat hilly because of random moraine deposits. The trails are also well used both by people and random wildlife so I tend to ride at a leisurely pace especially after a close encounter of the third kind with a not quite in control teenager on one of those one wheel electrified skateboards which has an Ultra comparable powerful hub motor.

I have a GPS data logging smart watch (Amazefit 47mm GTR) which can record all the details of one of these typical rides as shown below.

UTaBxb09U_4kQf29dBIO3Udy3jd9bTVXeIBnvmbAmTwtGp9X0pbP9Ml2b4yj1RMmLV7VtpBnEtKV1GV66JeVNfH_z2Qm5ltM5rjan1pRyVJWCBCShNYvwC59cDYxEMCNaleL3dw

2gyY9hGaAV_IcJU5P6DDCy8l-nYW-UiyBrR3OeMWGrg1XENqylI7Xxl90zaCNm7eyp0rqpRUGXMC0_CKJlrf1ngcdl6s5hrkipq5D79r1_X9M9tPFi-dA3h2tFKFRgmPPNid_mc

kNlQmh9O6PzrGzy24hJcvAzAmjfwcbXFm2jbgBYHZFwXrmZM4IwtQAoVDXdsBwJkexUiO41TGSiOdUEvdB__KRCujxCzjqF4uTH8eg-2WyGXwQJoB4OcBxM0EtGueqZo_0OlQ4U

So on average I travel 8-9 mph about half the time on the flats and roughly a quarter of the time going up, and then down.

After 50.7 miles (well correlated CC odometer reading with the GPS track data) with an indicated 49% remaining, I recharged the battery to its initial 54.5 v 100% state using a Grin Satiator. The interesting thing about the Satiator is that it has an integrating power meter that records how much energy in amp hours or watt hours are needed to fill up a battery from its discharged voltage to full voltage. In this case, starting at a 49% tank reading correlated to a 49.7 volt level required 7.84aH or about 376 Wh to return to 100%. Since 7.84aH is about 45% of the battery’s nominal 17.5 aH capacity, this implies that there actually might be 55% left in the tank, rather than the indicated 49%. This also could be just a conservative safety measure to keep any cell in the pack from falling below the minimum charge threshold voltage.

nU-ZwFcKqPMj_IIvrttvoiB4Kf6oW5VqbTJuAKo2HMnIPXGHNOYTGtIqgIOCj7sa9ZovAklMPNFOTLJBBCtsV3v8YwMszA2Q6PROotXQmS6SVdUgEOS91gxD-Glet6RBA5EFwpg

So the upshot of all of this, with my typical route and riding style, in 50.7 miles I consumed 7.84 aH or 376 Wh of energy assistance which works to about 7.84 Wh/mile, which seems way low for the oft quoted 10-25 Wh/mile industry average.

To check that these numbers are at all reasonable, I’ll use the handy-dandy Gribble spreadsheet calculator referenced by forum member “Seabeast” above, with all its adjustable parameters set to the CC and me (185 lb me weight, 73 lb bike weight, 8.5 mph average, all other parameters as is although the rolling resistance of the CC could be higher if the default rho is for an 80 psi slick). So:

• On flat ground 8.5 mph requires 33 cw watts. Compared to my Fat tire bike, the CC is easy pedalling so mostly my PAS is at zero or 1-2 if I neglect to hit the minus button after going up a hill. According to the data logger, I rode half my time or about 3 hours in this mode. So the max flat riding assist consumption is 99 Wh with the actual number maybe 20% of this.
  • For the 25% of the time/1.5 hours I’m going downhill, I coast as much as possible so consume zero assistance energy.
  • For the 1.5 hour uphill bits, according to Gribble, if I maintain the same 8.5 mph pace (I generally do):
10% grade requires 475 watts

15% grade requires 615 watts

20% grade requires 825 watts

So the upshot of the Gribble estimates is that clearly I’m spending the majority of my assistance energy defying gravity in ascending. While it’s not clear what or how the Amazefit distinguishes flat from uphill (i.e., is it derived from barometric data or from GPS TOPO elevation data and convolved with inclinometer data for thresholding, etc.), the observed 376 Wh consumed is reasonable and almost certainly mostly composed of uphill assistance.

I realize this is all well plowed ground and of course it’s just obvious most of the energy goes into conquering hills. But in doing the actual numbers for my bike and battery I can conclude its performance is at least average and perhaps a bit better for my first sample TurnLife battery. If the same performance holds true for the second battery, I would conclude this is as good as it gets for the Ultra implementation in the CC.

Does anybody have any idea how many CC’s are actually now in the USA? Maybe no more than a dozen or two??

Stay Well

Hello JC, interesting write up, I will check the Grin charger for my own use too.
You are right, there is only a few CC's in the US, before the 1st group buy they were not available.

Thanks, if only it were free, ha. The aluminum front fender is working well. With aluminum I can definitely hear the occasional road debris that gets kicked up (more than a plastic fender), but chatter is gone.

Here is my initial report on the FREY CC Bike:
Positives;
-this thing is huge, im 5' 9 1/2" and the "crossbar" is at my crotch!
- incredible power and speed
- great at off road and single track. I describe ANY bike with 27.5" wheels or bigger to be less agile than a 26" tire bike. That said, Ive bombed this thing down technical single track and it performed like a champ, easily passing hard tail riders, tho no air yet.....
- high quality perfect set up. Brakes & shifting are perfect
-a small plastic piece had a bit of shipping damage, ivy put a new part and related screws in the mail immediately- that is perfectly fair and i am happy
- MY RANGE IS LONGER THAN OTHERS ON THIS THREAD. Im getting about 60 + miles per full charge, using Eco 1 & 2. Remember that new batteries are weird and must be fully charged and depleted several times to get up to full capacity!!
- the charger is small and very light so it can easily be brought along for the ride
- integrated lighting is hooked to the brake levers!
- all specced parts are there. SR seat, wellgo pedal, promax stem post and bar, quanta hubs etc
- incredible head turner. Folks in my neighborhood are blown away, especially my neighbor who bought three 250 watt hub drive bikes-the look on his face was hilarious. Im getting "woooo sexy" quite a bit. The folks at work (well those who still come in once and a while like myself) are pissed off that they have paid huuuge money for Trek, Specialized and Tern e bikes, and mine is twice the speed and higher quality to boot.

Negatives:
-this thing is huge, im 5' 9 1/2" and the "crossbar" is at my crotch! Not really a step through.
- 27.5 tires are weird if you are used to 26, its a different experience
- the charger is very small, plastic and lightweight, so its portable but is the quality there?
- no shift sensor, as my first e bike i assumed a shift sensor was included on all high end e bikes. Not this one. And it is necessary if you want your cassettes to last. I've already taught myself to tap the brake lever just enough to kill the motor (but not enough to move the caliper) when shifting
- the water bottle holder actually is in the way. When getting on or off the bike it is nearly impossible to not rub against it. If i ever dump this thing, my junk is going to smash into that darn bottle cage.
- the negatives are minor imho. Yea a shift sensor is necessary on all ultra equipped bikes but other than that one main caveat i would absolutely buy this bike again and again.
This bike is 100% to claim. It is absolutely just what Frey says it is, a unique TRUE hybrid commuter/ off road e bike.
Definitely recommended!!!!
Thanks for the information I ordered the Frey cc I got an email stating that it was shipped May 19 so I guess 30 days after that is coming by sea freight

Thank you Seabeast for providing the link to the bike power calculator. It was very informative and should be useful to anyone trying to calculate the expected range of their bike. I’d also like to respond to the suggestion that Frey would substitute generic battery cells in place of the proprietary Samsung cells. I think it highly unlikely that Frey would risk their good reputation with such an unscrupulous action. I expect that they will continue to offer great customer service and respond appropriately to any legitimate concerns.
By the way, my AM1000 and EX are scheduled to arrive next Monday and I was just called back to work after being furloughed for 7 weeks. My office agreed that I will return next Tuesday so I can be home when the bikes are delivered.

did you get your EX? How do you like it...i just made a thread for EX owners...i just ordered one...thanks Jeff

Back