Frey has released a new eMTB named Frey Dopamine

Weedy0331

Region
Other

the orgion is here: The Best All-Terrain E-Bike 2023: Frey Dopamine with Bafang M560 Motor!

Hey Frey family! Our new model, Frey Dopamine, has been released on May 5th in Shanghai, China.

Frey Dopamine is the perfect choice for cycling enthusiasts seeking top-rated performance, with aggressive geometry, special frame design, Bafang M560 eMTB system, 840Wh battery, customizable features, and lightweight design.

1dopamine彩色背景正面.jpg

Our new model is designed with bike enthusiasts in mind. In the co-creation survey conducted before, we received 112 suggestions, some of which were as long as 2,000 words. A lighter EMTB, a more affordable EMTB, and a better EMTB design have become the top proposals of users.

With these preferences in mind, we have developed a new model that meets these criteria and is sure to satisfy the demands of the enthusiast market.

Dopamine Advanced/PRO is equipped with an 840Wh battery pack, weighing 3.6kg, and the latest Bafang M560 750W eMTB system, with the motor weighing 3.3kg. Frey aims to balance power, range, and bike weight best.

Let's see some specs of the new FREY DOPAMINE:

1. MOTOR
1684116977023.png

• ▪️BaFang M510 250w
  • ▪️BaFang M560 500w
  • 500w motor is paired with a throttle, while a 250w motor is not paired with a throttle.

2. BATTERY
1684117729843.png

▪️ 48V 14Ah (672Wh)
▪️ 48V 17.5Ah (840Wh)
Built-in concealed battery pack in the down tube, providing two options of 672Wh and 840Wh.

3. DISPLAY
1684117710031.png

▪️ BaFang DP C245.CAN
The optional Bluetooth communication addresses the Bafang GO+ app.

4. FRONT FORK
1684117827151.png

▪️ 150mm travel/ 160mm travel
▪️ 27.5"/29" 15*110mm BOOST
Geometry angle can accommodate 27.5" and 29" forks, with the option of 150mm and 160mm travel.

5. REAR SHOCK

▪️ ROCKSHOX MONARCH 200*57mm
▪️ ROCKSHOX DELUXE 185*55mm

6. BRAKES

1684117899531.png

▪️ TEJTRO HD E-730
▪️ MAGURA MT5e
Designed for e-bikes and paired with 203mm rotors, offers powerful braking performance.

7. DRIVETRAIN
1684117927994.png

▪️ SHIMANO Alivio 9s
▪️ SRAM NX 11S
▪️ SRAM GX 12S

8. WHEELSET

▪️ 27.5"
▪️ 29"
27.5" wheelsets available for all sizes.
S-size can only be paired with 27.5" wheelsets.

Frame Size:

1684118241733.png

1684118253368.png

Technical Details:

1. Geometry

Our bike features an aggressive geometry that's designed for forest trails or enduro riding. The 64.3-degree head tube angle is perfectly matched with a 150mm travel front fork, providing an ideal balance of stability and agility. For riders who crave the thrill of downhill riding, we've also provided maximum support for a 160mm travel front fork, which pairs with a more aggressive head tube angle of 63.8 degrees - perfect for tackling steep descents with confidence and control.

2. Adjustable Linkage Ratio

We designed an inverted module (the first Frey model with an inverted module) for different riding styles and road conditions, with an adjustment of 24-31%. Whether you prefer a grounded riding style or a jumping riding style, you can get the most suitable linkage ratio without changing the frame geometry. We even can offer custom linkage ratio services within the range. Each module provides two specific linkage ratios. Compared to buying a new bike, this is much more convenient.

3. Short Chain Stay

FREY Dopamine boasts a shorter chain stay, measuring 450mm for its 29-inch frame, allowing for a more agile and responsive handling experience. This design ensures that riders can easily navigate tight turns and technical terrain, making it an excellent option for those seeking a nimble and versatile ride.

4. Low Center of Gravity& High Pivot

1684118345845.png

By utilizing a low position for the shock absorber and a lower standover height, our bike's overall layout has been designed to achieve a remarkably low center of gravity, which brings it closer to the bottom bracket. As any experienced rider knows, the closer the center of gravity to the bottom bracket, the greater the bike's stability, control, and maneuverability - making it much easier to perform technical maneuvers with confidence and precision. In addition, with the high pivot design, riders can experience a more exhilarating and comfortable ride.

5. The Customizable Options

1684118394219.png

▪️ Full internal wiring
▪️ Vacuum wheelsets (including vacuum rims and tubeless tires )

The standard version of the bike comes with regular external wiring and tires as default.

6. Wheel Replacement Module

1684118428171.png

In the design process, we took into account the various demands for wheel sizes, and thus incorporated a replaceable rear derailleur hanger to accommodate two different wheel sizes: 27.5" & 29". If you are considering wheel diameter conversion in the future, you can purchase the corresponding module.

7. UDH Rear Hanger

The derailleur hanger is compatible with the UDH rear hanger, allowing for seamless connection to the latest SRAM wireless derailleur.

8. Integrated Inner Hexagonal Tool

1684118462794.png

We integrated a 6mm inner hexagonal tool into the rear through an axle wrench for the convenience of quick and easy tightening some screws on the bike, eliminating the need for carrying extra tools.

----------------------------------------------

Update on May 19:

Sorry for replying late, Frey has renewed the prices and spec in website, and Frey Dopamine is available for pre-order now.

CLICK HERE if you're interested.​

Last edited:
You knew the Chairman would release his eBikes from Motherland when the price is right.

Take my $$.

The good the way I see it for my needs:

More modern geometry with a slacker head angle and steeper seat tube and short chain stays.

Aluminum which will keep the cost down and the strength against dingage higher. CF doesn't bend.....

UDH or Universal Derailleur Hanger. This to me is a major step forward that the industry is taking. Not to mention that it will fit the new SRAM e system which is spendy but I would spring for it.

The maybe not so good:

Not sure about the idler design which only allows about a third of the chainring teeth to be wrapped. I predict that it will be hard on chainrings. But just order a pile of cheap ones on AliEx I guess or buy stainless steel.

The fact that I already have a nice bike.

looks great, Court should review one, i dont think i have ever seen a Frey on the channel.

Take my $$.

The good the way I see it for my needs:

More modern geometry with a slacker head angle and steeper seat tube and short chain stays.

Aluminum which will keep the cost down and the strength against dingage higher. CF doesn't bend.....

UDH or Universal Derailleur Hanger. This to me is a major step forward that the industry is taking. Not to mention that it will fit the new SRAM e system which is spendy but I would spring for it.

The maybe not so good:

Not sure about the idler design which only allows about a third of the chainring teeth to be wrapped. I predict that it will be hard on chainrings. But just order a pile of cheap ones on AliEx I guess or buy stainless steel.

The fact that I already have a nice bike.
What is the advantage of the chain routing? Does any other bike manufacturer to that?

What is the advantage of the chain routing? Does any other bike manufacturer to that?
i have seen plenty of Idler style Mountain Bikes just not electric. This is the first i have seen although im sure there are probably others.
On a non electric im guessing Pros would be a nice cushy, stable downhill blast.
Cons maybe a little more friction and resistance when climbing but with an EMTB the cons would become far less relevant!

Last edited:
@ 60 pounds maybe not so lightweight.
And why would you post this when sold out and with no references to price???

High pivot idler arm type bikes in the analog world are done to prevent pedal kickback while the rear sus is cycling, probably not as much of a concern with an eBike however?

As far as using that type of system, and as I said my concern would be the amount of chain wrap on the chainring under power. The Rocky Mtn. Powerplay comes the closest to the Dopamine setup but there's is in order to goa around the actual motor drive sprocket which to my eyes puts the strain more on that cog and less on the chainring over the Dopamine has the strain concentrated on the chainring. But as you can see in the pic RM puts a tensioner behind the chain ring in order to gain some more tooth contact of the chainring. I am thinking that RM had their reasons for this and perhaps it would be necessary with the Dopamine.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 8.16.50 AM.png

Time will tell. Apparently they are sold out already so my bank account is safe for the time being.

High pivot idler arm type bikes in the analog world are done to prevent pedal kickback while the rear sus is cycling, probably not as much of a concern with an eBike however?

As far as using that type of system, and as I said my concern would be the amount of chain wrap on the chainring under power. The Rocky Mtn. Powerplay comes the closest to the Dopamine setup but there's is in order to goa around the actual motor drive sprocket which to my eyes puts the strain more on that cog and less on the chainring over the Dopamine has the strain concentrated on the chainring. But as you can see in the pic RM puts a tensioner behind the chain ring in order to gain some more tooth contact of the chainring. I am thinking that RM had their reasons for this and perhaps it would be necessary with the Dopamine.

View attachment 153786

Time will tell. Apparently they are sold out already so my bank account is safe for the time being.
Thanks, watched a couple of youtube videos on "high pivot point" on non-electric rear suspensions. I think I understand now.

Reactions: JRA
Plus, Frey Dopamine has undergone rigorous testing by the product team, and this is how they explain the high-pivot design:
Compared to traditional suspension designs, a high pivot point has inherent advantages on downhill sections. The initial rear wheel path moves upward and backward, which, from a kinematic perspective, closely aligns with the relative motion of obstacles. This results in a smoother, ground-hugging suspension effect. It allows for a full release of the thrill of conquering uphill challenges without any reservations.

To be fair I don't find that to be true. I think they just used the pic with the color, I sent them a paint code, that I included in my inquiry as to pricing if I decided to order? As far as I know and looking at their other bikes thay can do any color. I am just a bit disappointed that it isn't going to work out for me but all the commuications I have had with them have been good, except for the part where they wouldn't sell me a bike without the wheels and drivetrain :rolleyes:

2-3 month lead time w/1/2 down is about what to expect from them. I thought I saw somewhere that they were looking to open a presence here in the U.S. and maybe going forward they will have stock and start up a dealer network but that will take some time.

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 2.46.52 PM.png

To be fair I don't find that to be true. I think they just used the pic with the color, I sent them a paint code, that I included in my inquiry as to pricing if I decided to order? As far as I know and looking at their other bikes thay can do any color. I am just a bit disappointed that it isn't going to work out for me but all the commuications I have had with them have been good, except for the part where they wouldn't sell me a bike without the wheels and drivetrain :rolleyes:

2-3 month lead time w/1/2 down is about what to expect from them. I thought I saw somewhere that they were looking to open a presence here in the U.S. and maybe going forward they will have stock and start up a dealer network but that will take some time.

View attachment 154021
I dont see a way on their website to get any color other than green. Your screenshot indicates you are getting a green Frey, no? I fiddled around and it only allowed me to select green. When I bought my CC a couple of years back, I could get Cream or Red...

I have been searching a long time for an eMTB with 28" stand over height for my wife, and apart from the Trek Powerfly FS XS frame, this looks to be the lowest stand over height available on an eMTB
So good news for small riders...

Back