Another Frey Savannah Ultra - CC owner

View attachment 159744
Results after the latest tune. From what I understand about the avg efficiency number, 11.7 is a good number. The ride was straight, really flat, with hardly any others in the way, and barely any intersections that we needed to stop. The battery is currently at 50.1v according to the cheap multimeter.
HOW THE F did I have a 18146 ft elevation gain?
I understand that the Ultra is a little more power hungry but I average 8.5wh/mi on a 20 mile ride rolling on a paved trail with a lot of hills using the BBS02B.
I have the BBS tuned down to the least intrusive, most natural feel I could achieve while still being a fun eBike with plenty of assistance when needed.
I'm hoping to do near the same in the not so distant future with an Ultra.
Tuning can be very personal.

I understand that the Ultra is a little more power hungry but I average 8.5wh/mi on a 20 mile ride rolling on a paved trail with a lot of hills using the BBS02B.
I have the BBS tuned down to the least intrusive, most natural feel I could achieve while still being a fun eBike with plenty of assistance when needed.
I'm hoping to do near the same in the not so distant future with an Ultra.
Tuning can be very personal.
If you are getting 8.5 on your motor and I got 11.65 on the ultra for the flat ride i did, I call that a win.

I'm not done tuning now that i have a clearer understanding of what I am doing. Today's ride was another correction of me screwing up to understand.
One of my daughters was riding my surface604 werk as a pace count. I am happy with the results we got on this ride and I will continue to down tune some more to make it a comfortable ride.
My 21ah battery should be here soon. I'll do a proper range test on the stock battery soon.

New equipment. Just got the sqlab 610 ergolux 2.1 active seat, and the 710 grips. Ordered some 165 mm cranks for the bike. I have put 595.33 miles on the bike since 5/17. And with each ride it is harder to walk the next couple of days. Why I'm re-configuring it. Stoopid hips. Taking some time off from this bike and will ride the Surface 604 some.
Did a 31 mile ride with the average speed being 14 mph saturday on hard packed roads and had 40% battery left at the end. Love the bike, just need to dial it in if I can.

New equipment. Just got the sqlab 610 ergolux 2.1 active seat, and the 710 grips. Ordered some 165 mm cranks for the bike. I have put 595.33 miles on the bike since 5/17. And with each ride it is harder to walk the next couple of days. Why I'm re-configuring it. Stoopid hips. Taking some time off from this bike and will ride the Surface 604 some.
Did a 31 mile ride with the average speed being 14 mph saturday on hard packed roads and had 40% battery left at the end. Love the bike, just need to dial it in if I can.
damn hips

Due to recent injuries, I am making some changes. First and foremost, my new mattress gets here tomorrow.

After getting the fitting package from Sq Labs and lots of downtime watching bike fitting videos, I have ordered:

710 grips in small- I did ride with these and they were good. Had a bad time on the bike config i had and adjusted the handlebars during the ride. More of a seat issue so I ordered....

610 ergolux 2.1 active saddle 15cm. I did some quick reconfigure bike rides around the neighborhood this weekend to get a position while having to move the surly sunrise bars again to a more upright position. No real feel for things yet as I am trying to just walk comfortably. The saddle was comfortable and i was surprised that having a smaller saddle than i am used to riding with in the past, seemed to work. Only have multiple quick interrupted readjust 10 miles with it so far.

410/402 innerbarends. This was a whim buy. They replace the metal part that tightens the grips to the bars in almost the same space. I had ergon gp5 with the bar ends on the himiway. Why not try something different.

Then I learned about
Velo Orange Utility bars. I like the width, and all the things you can do with them. I see bear spray and another water bottle. Plus i got the rack so I can use my outer shell 137 basket bag. I'm doing more gravel cruising oriented rides now and not so much mtb stuff. Working to get all the weight on the sprung part of the bike.

Last and probably wrong, I got some 165mm cranks off of aliexpress hoping the q factor works. Miranda is on holiday, so i am gambling.

Last edited:
Screenshot 2023-08-29 7.08.00 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-29 7.08.12 PM.png

Haven't ridden this setup yet as I am still healing/having issues.
The handlebars are the Velo Orange Utility bars with the rack. Under a offroad type ride, the rack and bag would not be attached, maybe.
I wanted a place to add the bear spray after the last ride. ( I rode passed a bear cub as my ride partner locked brakes calling it out)
The new cranks came in and they look like they will fit, but I am going to wait until I actually ride and set up this configuration before making that change.

I tried to bleed my front brake on friday because it has been squishy since I got the bike. I came across the video below that helped with the final steps of getting all the air out of the handle. Long story short, while you still have the reservoir with some fluid in it (no need to have the caliper hooked up to the bleeding system) lean the bike to one side and flick the lever. Also lean the bike on the opposite side and flick the handle. Rinse and repeat until no more bubbles. Video has an explanation.

Slowly have been riding again. Made a change on the crank arms. The CC I received had 170mm cranks, but went to 165 mm for a change. Seems to help with the riding issues I had in the past, or maybe I am just healing.
I did somehow get a flat on the rear Johnny Watts at the end of my 20 mile ride tonight. Luckily I was on my street when it started going flat, so the walk was a nice cool down. Looking to buy a set of dt swiss wheels as a second set of wheels. One for road and one for off-road. I'll dive into the flat tomorrow.
I somehow screwed up my front rotor a couple of weeks ago when I was messing with bleeding the brakes. Luckily had a spare 203 mm rotor for a failed upgrade on my other ebike. So I ordered the 2701938 203 mm rotor and Magura P.8 pads as a replacement. Massive upgrade. So I have the same set to swap out tomorrow when I fix the flat.
Also, I forgot, I just got the 21 ah battery from Frey for the bike. Need to do range tests and may be switching back to street tires.

Last edited:
It has been awhile without an update. Since getting the CC on May 17, 2023 I have 982.7 miles on it. Finally have dialed the bike into a comfortable ride. I received the 21 ah battery that this version can handle and finally did a semi rational range test in one ride. I was able to ride 50.84 miles with an astonishing 1,463 ascent in Florida! When done the battery had about 12% left. Take what you will with the ascent. Average moving speed was 16.3mph over 3:30:59. If I kept it to the more level ground around here, I think I can get close to 70 miles on the 21ah battery. Not going to test that in one ride anytime soon.

It has been awhile without an update. Since getting the CC on May 17, 2023 I have 982.7 miles on it. Finally have dialed the bike into a comfortable ride. I received the 21 ah battery that this version can handle and finally did a semi rational range test in one ride. I was able to ride 50.84 miles with an astonishing 1,463 ascent in Florida! When done the battery had about 12% left. Take what you will with the ascent. Average moving speed was 16.3mph over 3:30:59. If I kept it to the more level ground around here, I think I can get close to 70 miles on the 21ah battery. Not going to test that in one ride anytime soon.
Great mileage

Great mileage
I agree and was kinda shocked with today's ride. I have ridden in multiple rides at the slower flat surface pace, with 40 miles on the odo and 40% left. (21 ah battery). I am riding with the latest eggrider beta, and the latest Mike's Frey tune. The latest eggrider beta kinda sucks. Need to ride on offroad all the time. Stable release version was better.

Outer Shell has a limited edition handlebar bag that fits perfectly on the Velo orange Utility bars with the bar hack I did.
1000037063.jpeg
1000037062.jpeg

edit: updated first post with an update of equipment on the bike

Last edited:
Another thing I have learned is with the latest frame the C.C. is being built on ( think Fat C.C.) they have a 30Ah battery available for this bike. Being so new, Frey is not selling to basically me as an owner with this frame until they meet new orders they put out during the black Friday days. I kinda understand this approach. No idea on price. But I can contact them in the new year to try again. I love my Frey, but the after sales is kinda frustrating.

After 1,119 miles I had to change out the chain. It was stretched according to the tool. Added an extra link since I upgraded the chain ring up 2 teeth.
Interesting... I'm at 1,500mi and showing no sign of wear yet.
What size chain?
I don't remember what's on mine but I believe the Rohloff tensioner requires a 10s or 11s for proper clearance.

I was getting about 3000mi on my BBS with the KMC X7. I like the KMC chains.
This one I believe is a Shimano

When I changed out the chain ring to a bigger one I did not lengthen the chain, so I figure that is possibly why the chain stretched so fast. I added a link to the count on the new chain, but that may not have been enough. I'll figure as I go.
Shifting is good again and no clunking/skipping. I barely use the throttle, and even if I do I have it programmed to be a slow start.
Chalking the stretched chain up to lack of experience of a powerful middrive. On the flip side I am much more comfortable changing out a chain and feel I can do a repair trailside now if needed.

Did it start giving you issues soon after changing the chain ring?
Or was it as it aged/stretched towards the end?
Anywho.... adding a link in your case for sure shouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
Back