Another Frey Savannah Ultra - CC owner

I am aware of the chain eating. New wolftooth 46t chainring coming in so I can ride in the middle gears.

What I just learned from Frey is I have the new frame for the cc (think fat cc) and I can get the 21 ah battery for this. I should have asked when ordering, but no biggie. So if anyone is reading this thinking about ordering, ask about the bigger battery as an option if you are wanting it.

Thanks for jinxing me @Rome! ;) Have 6 stitches on one of my knees now. Long story short, coming off the road to get on the sidewalk, misjudged it. Ground lower than sidewalk and the front tire decided to play the "ride like a rail" game. Bike fine. I am fine so far.
Actually picked up some gloves right before the ride. Was looking for knee pads while the Dr stitched me up. Busted my mirror and that piece of glass i picked out was the spot that i got stitches. The rest of me hit the grass/sand. Bike is fine. It also mostly hit the grass/sand. Mirror took the hit.
Also this bike is faster than it feels.
Keithj69
Get all the gear, wear it all the time. I always wear this gear every time I ride.
Ride longer, ride harder, take more chances, have more fun!

Chest/Back/Shoulder/Rib Protection Vest by Troy Lee Designs
Elbow Pads by Demon United
Knee Pads by Demon United
Hip/Tail Bone Protection Liner by GForm
Carbon Fiber Tipped shoes by Merrel (crush proof toe)
and a helmet too!
chest.jpg
Hips.jpg

elbow.jpg
knee.jpg
CFshoes.jpg

Thanks for the list. Helpful to start stocking up.

Did a quick install of the Surly Sunrise bars today. The clamp size on it is 22.2 mm. Luckily comes with a shim. Initial thoughts, mounting the stock screen will require some rubber shims and some creative screen mounting. Luckily I have an Eggrider coming in next week.
Not sure I need to cut down the bars yet. I had to stop the install as I needed to go get a suture check.

Looking over the bike after the "accident" , the mirror, pedal and the kick stand took the brunt of the fall. So woohoo for dumping on the non drive side

messages_0 (14).jpeg

Got the Surly Sunrise bars installed. After a bit of trial and error I got the extras added. The Eggrider came in today also so it made the install easier. Was able to get a 7.75 mile ride in to see how it felt. So far so good. Need a longer ride to see how the positioning is situated.
Initial thought on the 820mm width. I want to cut off 20mm. I felt more comfortable moving my hands closer to the middle. Will wait though. I want to try a different grips first. The grips could be longer and force me to move the levers/controls/extras in some.

Also got the 46t chainring installed. A bit better. Worried about the chain length. Need to contact Frey to see what the chain and chain length they use for stock and if they have a recommendation for a 46t chainring . I think I need some extra links.

View attachment 154555
Got the Surly Sunrise bars installed. After a bit of trial and error I got the extras added. The Eggrider came in today also so it made the install easier. Was able to get a 7.75 mile ride in to see how it felt. So far so good. Need a longer ride to see how the positioning is situated.
Initial thought on the 820mm width. I want to cut off 20mm. I felt more comfortable moving my hands closer to the middle. Will wait though. I want to try a different grips first. The grips could be longer and force me to move the levers/controls/extras in some.

Also got the 46t chainring installed. A bit better. Worried about the chain length. Need to contact Frey to see what the chain and chain length they use for stock and if they have a recommendation for a 46t chainring . I think I need some extra links.

Looking goood...
How's it shifting on/off the largest cog?
If it ain't broke...

Worried about the chain length. Need to contact Frey to see what the chain and chain length they use for stock and if they have a recommendation for a 46t chainring. I think I need some extra links.
Two things not mentioned so far:
1) On a full suspension bike, like the Ultra CC, the distance between the rear derailleur and front chainring gets longer as the bike suspension compresses. So, what might shift OK on a bike stand or on slow flat riding may not be OK when you're really huffing it.
2) Even if the shifting seems OK, the derailleur pulley wheels are probably not in their sweet spot. With a shorter chain the springs in the derailleur are more compressed (at least on the bigger sprocket) and that could lead to the derailleur wearing out faster.

Some guides suggest setting bike chain length at normal sag (typically 30%), others suggest setting it at full sag (let all air out of the rear shock). That all said, I think the Ultra CC has a 9-speed Shimano Alivio drivetrain, and the rear cog isn't super wide (3X or 4X, I'm not sure), so you might be able to get away with a shorter than ideal chain.

That's not necessarily true as it depends on the location of the bottom pivot point in relation to the bottom bracket. For instance on my bike they are in line and adjacent and the difference between the cogs using the two extremes in suspension travel is less than 1/16th inch if that. I left my NASA laser at work 🙃
Good point to check... but not necessarily an issue

I friggin' love this bike. Did a 35.17 mile ride on bumpy hard packed roads. Average moving speed was 13.1 mph according to the garmin. I powered the bike up once home and I still have 48% battery left. This was not one of my normal rides. But just WOW.
My riding partner with his Lectric 1.0 made it and still had some juice left.
messages_0(2).jpeg
messages_0(1).jpeg

Attachments

• messages_0.jpeg
    messages_0.jpeg
    614.4 KB · Views: 121
Parts ordered and installed on the bike:
EggRider V2
Wolftooth 46t chainring
Surly Sunrise handlebars
Ergon GA3 (large) grips
Cloud9 Kush Plus airflow comfort saddle (wide)
Second speed sensor magnet
Arundel looney bin bottle cage. ( ABC by Bikase does not fit)

Parts ordered and waiting:
schwalbe johnny watts 2.6 wide

Last edited:
Parts ordered and installed on the bike:
EggRider V2
Wolftooth 46t chainring
Surly Sunrise handlebars
Ergon GA3 (large) grips
Cloud9 Kush Plus airflow comfort saddle (wide)
Second speed sensor magnet
Arundel looney bin bottle cage. ( ABC by Bikase does not fit)

Parts ordered and waiting:
schwalbe johnny watts 2.6 wide
Any opinions on the second magnet? Makes sense for accuracy.

I friggin' love this bike. Did a 35.17 mile ride on bumpy hard packed roads. Average moving speed was 13.1 mph according to the garmin. I powered the bike up once home and I still have 48% battery left. This was not one of my normal rides. But just WOW.
My riding partner with his Lectric 1.0 made it and still had some juice left. View attachment 154756View attachment 154757
That is some excellent range from your battery.

Any opinions on the second magnet? Makes sense for accuracy.
After reading up on all the ultra tuning and seeing all mentions of having 2, I went ahead and had a magnet before i had the bike. So I haven't ridden with one magnet to form any opinion.

This blog post claims that while more magnets do make the display's speed readout track speed changes more closely, it actually introduces more errors at higher speeds.
What I found over time with both 2- and 4-magnet installations was that apparently there is more signal-reading failure going on than we realize, and the Bafang controller has a way of gracefully dealing with this on your display. However when you use two or more magnets that failover procedure is no longer seamless to the eye. You can see oddball, cockeyed shifts in the speedometer reading as you ride along once you exceed about 22 mph.
Granted this was for BBS* motors, not the Ultra Max, but the logic that the sensor can't handle too many magnet passes happening too quickly might hold.

For the Ultra Max, the wheel rpm is used to choose which SPDXX column of values are in effect. For bikes ridden mostly fast, telling your bike it has more magnets than it actually does has some tuning benefits, as I've described in my tuning posts. Adding more magnets will not get you a better startup response from a standstill - that's controlled by the "0 Speed Boost Time" parameter. But, it's likely that more magnets would mean faster choosing of the applicable SpdXX column values, which might be beneficial depending on how you've got those values programmed.

Last edited:
This blog post claims that while more magnets do make the display's speed readout track speed changes more closely, it actually introduces more errors at higher speeds.

Granted this was for BBS* motors, not the Ultra Max, but the logic that the sensor can't handle too many magnet passes happening too quickly might hold.

For the Ultra Max, the wheel rpm is used to choose which SPDXX column of values are in effect. For bikes ridden mostly fast, telling your bike it has more magnets than it actually does has some tuning benefits, as I've described in my tuning posts. Adding more magnets will not get you a better startup response from a standstill - that's controlled by the "0 Speed Boost Time" parameter. But, it's likely that more magnets would mean faster choosing of the applicable SpdXX column values, which might be beneficial depending on how you've got those values programmed.
I finally went through all the tuning stuff. Took off the 2nd magnet, did the double trick. My min voltage was slightly different (can't remember now), but my max was 3260. I do need to go back and adjust my basic assist levels and changed what you had by like 2 yesterday on a ride as I wasn't feeling it. After walking through all the steps, using the spread sheet with the settings before you went up on the torque settings, and all i can say is; Why should one ever leave eco1?
I have a ride tomorrow (weather depending) on the same trail as i rode yesterday. I should have a good feel for range with the settings. Initial feel is the settings may be to aggressive. Good news is i live by the trail and can recreate the ride easily.

Back