Another Frey Savannah Ultra - CC owner

keithj69

Region
USA
City
Central Florida
messages_0 (6).jpeg

Finally received my CC. Due to buying during the sale they had in March, and not having the configuration I ordered in the warehouse in the U.S. (free dropper post and such) I had to wait for delivery. Ordered March 30 and received it on May 17th (shipped to Florida).

I am loving the bike so far. My basis of comparisons of bike is the following:
A 2020 himiway cruiser, a 2022 Surface604 Werk. These 2 have been my alternating rides. Still have them. Planning on selling the himiway (sold and gone). Really like the Surface604 and will not get rid of it anytime soon.
2 lectrics 1.0's - these were for family, but they ended up going (sold at a loss) to friends to get them riding.
I briefly had a Serial1 rush/cty speed- frame was too small, could not raise the handlebars, and no spare battery in sight at the time.

I have about 40 miles (as of oct 13 since buying the bike I have 821 miles) on the bike so far and it has been a blast. Wildly, I have gotten more exercise on this bike compared to the others. Or at least my legs are screaming that to me.

I will add on to this as I go. Have some thoughts/suggestions/complaints(minor) to go over. But it is Friday night and I need to finish my beer and prep for the first "off road" ride tomorrow.

If anyone is wondering about the bag on the bike, it is a Arkel Tailrider Trunk bag and it does work with a dropper seatpost mostly. I do hit it slightly when dropping the seatpost. (edit: If you loop the back straps between the back 2 bars on the rack, then go form there, the dropper and your butt has less likely of meeting) I have been adjusting the seat height some, so it is not bad. Dropped it with a 6 pack in the bag and no issues. edit: actually the fix on this is to move the bag back and loop the straps between the very back cross bars. It will cover up the brake light some, but allows for a proper seat drop even with my rolltop seat bag. I have added a cheap rear flasher to accommodate the less than visual brake light.

Parts ordered and installed on the bike:
Garmin 830 with speed and cadence sensors (moved from other bikes)
EggRider V2
Wolftooth 46t chainring
Surly Sunrise handlebars
Ergon GA3 (large) grips
Cloud9 Kush Plus airflow comfort saddle (wide)

Second speed sensor magnet
Arundel looney bin bottle cage. ( ABC by Bikase does not fit. Might fit now with the wolf tooth system)
schwalbe johnny watts 2.6 wide
Orange Velo utility bars and rack
Sq Lab 610 ERGOLUX® 2.1 active
SqLab 710 grips. small
SqLab innerbarends® 410/402
Nopal CC2 lite Cargo cage (for bear spray attached to the Utility bars)
Cannondale Regrip side entry - Left but installed on the right so the bottle does not fall out on the side of the bike.
Wolf tooth B-Rad 2 slot mounting base
Wolf tooth B-Rad double bottle adapter

New upgrades:
Switched from the 170mm cranks to 165mm cranks. Undecided on this one. This decision was a medical thing with my hips and research. May have been overkill and just needed time to heal after a massive uptick in my riding. Where I see a plus for having the 165 mm cranks is it puts me in a 75ish rpm cadence in 7-8th gear and not on 9th gear all the time. (Dec 2023 update. I do like this upgrade. I will not be going back to the 170mm cranks)

Upgraded rotors and pads to 2701938 203 mm rotor and Magura P.8 pads - Worth it.
Received my 21 Ah battery from Frey. (double check with them if your frame is compatible. It is the Frey fat CC battery.)

Bike bags I use but not all the time. These bags have accumulated over 3 ebikes. And can be used on both of my current ebikes.
Outer Shell Rolltop Saddlebag. Works with dropper seatpost and has the bare necessities of tools if i am not carrying other bags.
Outer Shell 137 Basket Bag for when I use the rack for a beer run. (stole this from my Surface604 Werk)
Arkel Tailrider bag. Can be used on any rack.
Wotow bike water bottle holder, handlebars. I use this for food and carrying other things like work phone, washcloth, etc
I used one of those handelbar extensions (PVC at 8 inches is enough) to add a new mount point. ( example here )
Outer Shell Dhb -Rando UL limited edition bag with the new mount point hack.
Rhinowalk handle bar bag. I use this when not using the rack. It is a great place for an external battery for the gopro, wallet keys. (Moving to the Portola and now using the new Outer Shell Dhb rando bag)
Arkel Bug Pannier Backpack (not using this as much on the C.C. not as rack friendly on this bike)
Arkel Orca Large Pannier
Arkel Orca Small Pannier.

According to Frey the stock chain on the bike is a KMC x9 with 124 links.
Also double check with Frey when ordering the CC. It has a bigger battery option (21ah) . Depending on when you order, you may get old stock that doesn't have the 21AH option. Seems the newer bikes are working off the CC Fat frame and accepts either the 17.5ah or the 21ah battery.

magura brakes and bleeding

The new frame C.C. now has a 30Ah battery option. If ordering ask about battery options and any cheap upgrade options for the battery. If you think you want 2 batteries, get a quote when you order you bike, it may be cheaper now to get it then waiting. So save up some when ordering. Ordering new stuff after you get your bike ensures stupid delivery fees. Just try ordering the rack alone to find out.

Last edited:
View attachment 154036
Finally received my CC. Due to buying during the sale they had in March, and not having the configuration I ordered in the warehouse in the U.S. (free dropper post and such) I had to wait for delivery. Ordered March 30 and received it on May 17th (shipped to Florida).

I am loving the bike so far. My basis of comparisons of bike is the following:
A 2020 himiway cruiser, a 2022 Surface604 Werk. These 2 have been my alternating rides. Still have them. Planning on selling the himiway. Really like the Surface604 and will not get rid of it anytime soon.
2 lectrics 1.0's - these were for family, but they ended up going (sold at a loss) to friends to get them riding.
I briefly had a Serial1 rush/cty speed- frame was too small, could not raise the handlebars, and no spare battery in sight at the time.

I have about 40 miles on the bike so far and it has been a blast. Wildly, I have gotten more exercise on this bike compared to the others. Or at least my legs are screaming that to me.

I will add on to this as I go. Have some thoughts/suggestions/complaints(minor) to go over. But it is Friday night and I need to finish my beer and prep for the first "off road" ride tomorrow.

If anyone is wondering about the bag on the bike, it is a Arkel Tailrider Trunk bag and it does work with a dropper seatpost mostly. I do hit it slightly when dropping the seatpost. I have been adjusting the seat height some, so it is not bad. Dropped it with a 6 pack in the bag and no issues.
Glad you are enjoying the CC. It is a sweet ride, and I love the suspension.

messages_0 (7).jpeg

Rode around today on some mountain bike trails. Bike was awesome. Wrong tires, but I didn't fall. My buddy on his Lectric did though.

messages_0 (9).jpeg

Later today riding the C.C. rode up on a Florida Bobcat.

Animal list of the things I have seen in Central Florida riding the trails around here: turtles, rabbits, deer, black snakes. rattle snakes, pigs, goats, donkeys, horses, cows, cats, dogs, children, bobcat, multiple birds/birds of prey. chickens, turkeys, suicidal squirrels, sane squirrels, squirrel falling out of tree and splatting on the trail.

Last edited:
So far I have about 78 miles on the bike. 43 of those was this weekend.

Pros:
It is fast.
In low speed, it is controllable.
Dropper post is the #$%
Bike was delivered in great condition. No damage to the box
No issues with assembly
No issues with the bike other than the rear derailleur needs a slight adjustment that the barrel connectors can't quite get right for downshifts.
No paint issues with the flat black paint job
Speaking of low speed, it is slow-fast enough to be in crowds. Disclaimer I have tweaked the PAS levels

Cons:
I have issues with the riding position. I am used to a more upright riding position. So since REI is having the anniversary sale I ordered some Surly Sunshine bars for it. Hopefully they will be just right. Plus the bar across will be a good place for my camera setup.
For the flat areas I ride, the chainring is too small. I am spinning out on the rpms at higher speeds. I will order a new one soon. Just need to figure out the chain size I need if I go to a 46 tooth chainring
The torque sensor is different. My Surface604 has a torque sensor that is part of the derailleur not in the motor/bottom bracket. I understand that the bafang likes the higher rpm's to be efficient. But as I said I ride flat. I did expect a difference though.
The black paint captures sweat stains. Easily fixed after a ride.
I need to bleed the front brake. It works, but it isn't the same as the back brake lever.
The seat wasn't good for me. I ordered a Cloud 9 Kush plus airflow comfort saddle (wide) and that helped immensely on todays ride.
I swapped out the stock grips after a couple of rides for some ergon grips. Not great due to my riding position. Hopefully the new handlebars will correct this.

In summary for the cons when it comes to a bike straight from the builder: Front brakes need to be bleed and the derailleur needs to be tuned. Not bad, not bad at all. The rest is me being picky.

Also on the ride this morning a family of deer crossed the trail as we rode up. So bobcat and deer sightings in less than 24 hours is a great weekend ride.

So far I have about 78 miles on the bike. 43 of those was this weekend.

Pros:
It is fast.
In low speed, it is controllable.
Dropper post is the #$%
Bike was delivered in great condition. No damage to the box
No issues with assembly
No issues with the bike other than the rear derailleur needs a slight adjustment that the barrel connectors can't quite get right for downshifts.
No paint issues with the flat black paint job
Speaking of low speed, it is slow-fast enough to be in crowds. Disclaimer I have tweaked the PAS levels

Cons:
I have issues with the riding position. I am used to a more upright riding position. So since REI is having the anniversary sale I ordered some Surly Sunshine bars for it. Hopefully they will be just right. Plus the bar across will be a good place for my camera setup.
For the flat areas I ride, the chainring is too small. I am spinning out on the rpms at higher speeds. I will order a new one soon. Just need to figure out the chain size I need if I go to a 46 tooth chainring
The torque sensor is different. My Surface604 has a torque sensor that is part of the derailleur not in the motor/bottom bracket. I understand that the bafang likes the higher rpm's to be efficient. But as I said I ride flat. I did expect a difference though.
The black paint captures sweat stains. Easily fixed after a ride.
I need to bleed the front brake. It works, but it isn't the same as the back brake lever.
The seat wasn't good for me. I ordered a Cloud 9 Kush plus airflow comfort saddle (wide) and that helped immensely on todays ride.
I swapped out the stock grips after a couple of rides for some ergon grips. Not great due to my riding position. Hopefully the new handlebars will correct this.

In summary for the cons when it comes to a bike straight from the builder: Front brakes need to be bleed and the derailleur needs to be tuned. Not bad, not bad at all. The rest is me being picky.

Also on the ride this morning a family of deer crossed the trail as we rode up. So bobcat and deer sightings in less than 24 hours is a great weekend ride.
Yup, Cloud9 on all my bikes. I've never found an OEM seat that I liked.

Glad you're liking it...👍
How's the weight? Is it noticeable or does it feel nimble?
I also noticed that the flat black paint job was very flat. Most bike paint jobs described as flat are usually a little more satin.
But I wouldn't sweat it! 🤣🤣

Glad you're liking it...👍
How's the weight? Is it noticeable or does it feel nimble?
I also noticed that the flat black paint job was very flat. Most bike paint jobs described as flat are usually a little more satin.
But I wouldn't sweat it! 🤣🤣
I was actually surprised by the weight balance on the bike. I am not a strong bike rider (yet) and riding without power in low gears made me comfortable enough to realize i could get home in the last mile.
As far as nimble, I will say that the serial1 rush/cty is a very nimble bike and slightly better. This one is a tad bit bigger, but it excels on the suspension side.
The crank arms on this bike are too big. On my "mountain bike" ride yesterday I did hit the cranks on some roots which was really my fault. But as a commuter (normal riding) have not had an issue.
The black is very flat and I am really happy about it. I really really wanted the blue, but after reading up on the reviews, which are far and between, It seemed the black had the least amount of chipping issues. So i went with it thinking I could color match it if I chipped the paint.
Any sweat that comes out is happy sweat and worth the wipe down.

Last edited:
New con. The crank arms are to big for this bike for a beginner riding easy mountain bike trails. I hit the crank on roots a couple of times because i forgot to position them properly. I think if i had 165mm it may have made a diff.

I hereby named it Black Beauty.
She's got some sheen.
Aventon level seat is my favorite OEM 😍
I'm riding on one now.
If any of you well-known members have a seat from an Aventon level. I like buy it.
LMK.
Frey makes beautiful ebikes.
You are right, The Aventon VELO seat is pretty nice as OEM goes.

New con. The crank arms are to big for this bike for a beginner riding easy mountain bike trails. I hit the crank on roots a couple of times because i forgot to position them properly. I think if i had 165mm it may have made a diff.
I had to put 155's on my Luna Z1

IMG_1389.JPG
If you want more satin than flat in your flat paint just try a little polish. My new ebike came with flat black/red and I applied Meguires Professional Cleaner Wax no.6 which gave it a more satin finish and a slicker finish for easy clean-up.

It is a not necessarily crank arms length. On full suspension Emtbs/Commuter bike.
You needs to adjustment suspension sag. My M620 has 170mm crank arms.
My black beauties.
It really wasn't the crank arms, it really was the rider. I had the sag set at 30%, but I will be checking again now that I have ridden it some.

Ordered a bunch of stuff:
WolfTooth 46t chainring - shipping
an eggrider v2 - shipping
Surly Sunrise bars. - Shipping. Picked them up on the REI sale, worse case scenario, i'll take them back
Looney bin bottle cage- received. Fits perfectly
A riser stem - received. I will wait on installing it until i get the handlebars before mucking around at the fork area. Will try the bars first seeing as the rise on the bars is 83mm.

I was actually surprised by the weight balance on the bike. I am not a strong bike rider (yet) and riding without power in low gears made me comfortable enough to realize i could get home in the last mile.
As far as nimble, I will say that the serial1 rush/cty is a very nimble bike and slightly better. This one is a tad bit bigger, but it excels on the suspension side.
The crank arms on this bike are too big. On my "mountain bike" ride yesterday I did hit the cranks on some roots which was really my fault. But as a commuter (normal riding) have not had an issue.
The black is very flat and I am really happy about it. I really really wanted the blue, but after reading up on the reviews, which are far and between, It seemed the black had the least amount of chipping issues. So i went with it thinking I could color match it if I chipped the paint.
Any sweat that comes out is happy sweat and worth the wipe down.
That's great to hear.
Yeah I'm not the strongest rider either... hence an ebike. And at 77 pounds, that being 25 more than my current BBS conversion it gives me a bit of pause.
The wax on the flat black is a good idea but I would test it out in an inconspicuous spot as some flats don't accept wax well and you can end up with a hard to remove white film.
Looking forward to the updates... 👍

Thanks for jinxing me @Rome! ;) Have 6 stitches on one of my knees now. Long story short, coming off the road to get on the sidewalk, misjudged it. Ground lower than sidewalk and the front tire decided to play the "ride like a rail" game. Bike fine. I am fine so far.
Actually picked up some gloves right before the ride. Was looking for knee pads while the Dr stitched me up. Busted my mirror and that piece of glass i picked out was the spot that i got stitches. The rest of me hit the grass/sand. Bike is fine. It also mostly hit the grass/sand. Mirror took the hit.
Also this bike is faster than it feels.

Last edited:
Back