Another Frey Savannah Ultra - CC owner

Over the weekend I reprogrammed the bike back to close to stock. I was on hour 27 of working and needed something to do while waiting on tech support for my job.
I used the updated frey smooth tune at the bottom. One thing I noticed as I was doing it, I used the double-fake-magnet setting and noticed i did not set the display back to a single magnet after i took the 2nd magnet off when doing that tune. So the bike thought i had 4. I also made so many changes that it just makes sense to roll back and now that I understand what is going on, try again.

The updated frey tune is nice. But way to easy, fast, and battery using after a ride. I will retry a tune with more precision.

I ordered a SKS front mudrucker fender because the Johnny Watts and the front fender that came with the CC really like to sing its song to the world.

Ordered a Park Tool brake bleed kit to bleed the brakes. Front brake has been spongy since I got the bike.

The big experiment is the Wolf tooth B-rad system parts so I can try to have a double water bottle cage off of the only spot for one bottle. Fingers crossed. I do have a feedbag that can handle a bottle, but I kinda want to eat some on these hot florida rides.

Will take pictures of the parts and what it looks like before/after the switch.

As far as the surly handlebars. I like them. They are working for me and I guess it is time that I cut them back some. Too wide for me.

And a review of the headlight that now comes with the CC. It is good for riding around at night on paved trails. Not like the crap light that came with the Himiway I had. Not something I would depend on in the woods hauling butt, but for general riding it is good.

I wonder if I can somehow get 9 PAS levels on my Frey Beast. I find that I get too much assist when I'm trying to go slow on rides out with my daughter. Maybe I need to experiment more.

Do you have the programming cable? Strange that it is not set up for 9, but you have a beast, so that could explain it.

I wonder if I can somehow get 9 PAS levels on my Frey Beast. I find that I get too much assist when I'm trying to go slow on rides out with my daughter. Maybe I need to experiment more.
It's probably a function of the display... Have you entered the display menu/settings?

There is no option to change the number of PAS levels on the display on the Beast. It only has 5 on eco and 5 on sport. Arguably thats 10 pas levels.
Well that sucks. Which display does it have?
Possible to change the display? or is this a function of the Ultra controller?
Or just the custom Frey Beast controller/Display ?

Well that sucks. Which display does it have?
Possible to change the display? or is this a function of the Ultra controller?
Or just the custom Frey Beast controller/Display ?
Bafang DPC 18. Not sure if other displays will read the voltage of the 60v battery of the Beast correctly. I have the 500c display on my other bike and I can switch from 3 to 9 levels of assist in the display settings.

Bafang DPC 18. Not sure if other displays will read the voltage of the 60v battery of the Beast correctly. I have the 500c display on my other bike and I can switch from 3 to 9 levels of assist in the display settings.
Yeah I've seen 52v as a display option but not 60v.
So can the standard Ultra like that of the CC accept any standard Bafang display?

Yeah I've seen 52v as a display option but not 60v.
So can the standard Ultra like that of the CC accept any standard Bafang display?
Going by the Greenbikekit website you can purchase the Ultra with a choice of volts (48/52), protocols (canbus/uart) and displays which suggests you can use other displays.

I used the updated frey smooth tune at the bottom. One thing I noticed as I was doing it, I used the double-fake-magnet setting and noticed i did not set the display back to a single magnet after…

The claim that adding an actual magnet helps with startup is false. Others have reported that at high speeds the additional magnet makes things more wonky as something in the electronics can’t keep up.Startup does not use the magnet as you can prove to yourself by removing all magnets or even placing the magnet just after the sensor and observing that you get Spd0 power before the wheel has rotated a full revolution.

I ordered Wolf Tooth B-rad parts to have 2 water bottles in the place of the one. Just installed it, no ride with it yet so I can't say how it works. But it does fit. I think the 2 slot option would have been better. New front fender comes in tomorrow.

1000033439.jpeg

1000033441.png

Edit: I need to adjust my seat to the right

Last edited:
I have to keep my water in the rear rack (insulated) bag.
Can't stand drinking water that's warmer than piss from a bottle covered in road dust 🙃

I have to keep my water in the rear rack (insulated) bag.
Can't stand drinking water that's warmer than piss from a bottle covered in road dust 🙃
I actually like my water at room temp if I am chugging it. Plus if I had it in a bag behind me, that means I am stopping every 15 minutes to have a drink.

Screenshot 2023-07-22 4.36.55 PM.png

New SKS Mudrocker installed. Now seeing it from this angle I will need to make an adjustment to raise the back of it away from the tire. Still need to get the residual from the stickers off. Only have Iso alcohol and it didn't get it all off.

I actually like my water at room temp if I am chugging it. Plus if I had it in a bag behind me, that means I am stopping every 15 minutes to have a drink.
Yeah but if I have it in easy reach and chugging... That means I'm stopping every 15 minutes to piss 🤣

Screenshot_20230805_163419.jpg

Results after the latest tune. From what I understand about the avg efficiency number, 11.7 is a good number. The ride was straight, really flat, with hardly any others in the way, and barely any intersections that we needed to stop. The battery is currently at 50.1v according to the cheap multimeter.
HOW THE F did I have a 18146 ft elevation gain?

I have no idea about the elevation. It is not cumulative, I just checked other rides. Very inconsistent with others. Unless I am riding some Florida mountains I am not seeing. And if that is the case the wh/mi thing is totally beyond belief and awesome.

Screenshot 2023-08-05 5.00.59 PM.png

I think it is missing a decimal point. This is from my garmin. And still wrong.

Back