Luna rips off Watt Wagons Hydra?

No doubt the v2 Ludicrous will be a popular option on the X2 but also gum up the works shipping wise as they will have to install them in all those that went for that option. But maybe because they won't have to mess with mine it will get to the loading dock sooner.....that is why I never opted for any of the put down and wait options 🤪. At least they went ahead and just put the PEEK gear in on the deal to get that settled.

For the Zed1 I am looking in to the Eggrider V2 as a very handy German dude on EMTB has one installed on his Cube converted M620 bike. Once again in my case I'll wait to see if the stock settings work for me but I do like a more minimal display size.
LMAO! I couldn't resist the controller as it can really make or break the M600 as a solid option, etc.
Ironically I have a brand new never-powered-on Eggrider v2, got it mainly as was thinking to play with it on the BBSHD expecting a long wait for frame, painting, parts, etc... dunno if will even put on the bike now, but Eggrider does have some registration process of some kind for the egg riders - like name of shop and email used for purchase or something.

LMAO! I couldn't resist the controller as it can really make or break the M600 as a solid option, etc.
Ironically I have a brand new never-powered-on Eggrider v2, got it mainly as was thinking to play with it on the BBSHD expecting a long wait for frame, painting, parts, etc... dunno if will even put on the bike now, but Eggrider does have some registration process of some kind for the egg riders - like name of shop and email used for purchase or something.
Hmmm, look into the legality and if you can and want to part with it let me know?

I've got a Mucky Nutz long front in my cart but the Mudhugger front/rear set is also there. But I also am thinking another MN long would work for the back...internet choice decisions are not my strong suit either.

In a recent job I was leading several teams involving hardware, firmware, software/apps in a somewhat-related domain including some very bright EE types among others. I probably can't follow half of what he may be talking about, but can follow enough to know he's damned smart as well as building on the established framework etc of VESC. Nothing's perfect, but until we can order up an Archon in <choose your flavor> - it's a whole lot better than nothing and has the potential to be impressive. Fingers crossed.
Better you than me it sounds like!
I've tried more than once to make it through CA/Phaserunner docs. I suppose I could if I had one in hand, but that is the complete opposing of 'easy programming' from what I've seen.
I did a fair amount of custom ECU auto tuning for fun track toys for a bit - knew a good amount, but shouldn't need to understand the theory of <everything> to be able to install and tune something, at least for most people, IMO. Kudos to you for getting it running - I thought a used one might be a backup plan for M600, but didn't have one in hand, grintech seems ambivalent-ish to customers from what I read, and I just couldn't motivate myself to get through their docs.
I did cheat a bit as I was able to go right to the source a few times as my son lives very close to their shop. Got to know Justin and Robbie some and they are great guys but now that the business has expanded they are hard to get ahold of and their online help tries but are just not the same as the feedback I got from them. So in other words I mostly learned by doing and I agree reading their docs can be more confusing than comforting.
Same plan. Box cassette is supposedly Sunrace, and see reviews all over the place on Box. Any experience with them?
Yes I have a setup on my hardtail and they work just fine. The shifter is a bit clunky but does the job.
Similar quality, different flavor - nice to see at least a few real tool companies exist out there. I have a wired HF chop box I built most of a house with - still works.
It seems endless the tools that are out there, cordless, today! My fave is the oscillating tool oddly enough but I have a pretty full complement of tools for light carpentry and finish work. Only corded tool I have is a small table saw.
There are literally wires stuck out the front of the BBSHD, so all kinds of 'fun' can happen there, although it at least does have a frame with some protection. Some.. It's been on my list since seeing it, but TBD on if I get to it or sell it first. ;)
Don't sell, you'll need a spare and loaner you know it! N+1 ;)

The allen head bolts that hold the guard in place are still in place and it's been a little over a year with it installed. Your right a hard hit will transfer the impact to the motor housing so all it really does is it protects the casing from getting banged up from the occasional hit rolling over rocks. Realistically I try to be cognizant and not high center to often as the results vary and not always for the good. As stated above if I shear off those two small bolt heads I got bigger problems and could someone please come find me.

The battery packs I have built all have temp sensors integrated with the BMS units I use. But realistically on the bigger 24 or 34 air packs I always have at least (10) connections from one cell group to the next and each jumper is rated for 5a optimal to 8a acceptable. So when you have a 30a limit on your BMS your only looking at a max of 3a flowing on a single connection between groups when pulling 1500w.
The batteries are rated for 10a discharge so minimal heat loss there.

Periodically I will open up a battery for a quick look and have yet to find a broken jumper, broken BMS sensing wire or +/- wire that has come loose. No evidence of any overheating or discoloration. They still charge up to 58.8v. I used to use the BMS's from Vruzend but their quality has changed and not as reliable as the older ones.

Brookline
Considering Luna is based in LA I doubt that is the case if at all. That could be where WW gets theirs though, if at all. Which is kind of like allegedly...

I'm happy with my Hydra but the Hydra frame is almost identical to the Dengfu E10, just with a different rear shock mounting point. Not sure how you can say one is ripping off another.

Pushkar was responsible for many updates on the E 22 (hydra) frame. He had an agreement with Dengfu that he would have the exclusive on this frame in the United States much like Luna had the exclusive on the original X one frame. Dengfu did not hold up their end of the bargain with Pushkar and decided to sell the frame with Pushkar‘s updates to everyone. The E 10 which is the Luna X2 is a standard Dengfu frame.

I did cheat a bit as I was able to go right to the source a few times as my son lives very close to their shop. Got to know Justin and Robbie some and they are great guys but now that the business has expanded they are hard to get ahold of and their online help tries but are just not the same as the feedback I got from them. So in other words I mostly learned by doing and I agree reading their docs can be more confusing than comforting.
Very nice. Suppose they’re just overwhelmed as ebikes have exploded in popularity… was very interested in the PR/CA setup as an option for the Ultra or possibly M600, but various threads and comments as well as the docs (very good technically but missing the short version of ‘here’s 90% of what you need in much less’, etc.. just turned me off.

It’s also pretty difficult to train hired shop help on such a device, honestly.
Yes I have a setup on my hardtail and they work just fine. The shifter is a bit clunky but does the job.
Clunky due to single shift at a time, or just inherent in the shifter vs others?
I suppose there’s also Microshift..really primarily looking for 8 or 9 speed with clutch derailleur and steel cassette. I guess I could got to a Shimano 10S as another option. Have been on/off considering a wheel build as well, initially for the BBHSD bike, even rear only, after seeing some of the Quando internals and threads, added to shredding cassette stories, abused freehub spline pics, etc. Seems like the SRAM XD spline is probably a more durable option, but don’t need 12s+ nor do I want to pay SRAM prices for ongoing consumables…meh.
It seems endless the tools that are out there, cordless, today! My fave is the oscillating tool oddly enough but I have a pretty full complement of tools for light carpentry and finish work. Only corded tool I have is a small table saw.
I’ve still got a few - angle grinder, sawz-all, circular saw, table saw, orbital buffer, impact drill - but most are moving to backup..
Don't sell, you'll need a spare and loaner you know it! N+1 ;)
Yeah lol - I would but I’ve got too many hobbies and too many N+1s, including at least one car and motorcycle it’s well past time to sell, so it would go a good ways towards wife happiness. What I may wind up doing is building a second from parts.. ;)

Very nice. Suppose they’re just overwhelmed as ebikes have exploded in popularity… was very interested in the PR/CA setup as an option for the Ultra or possibly M600, but various threads and comments as well as the docs (very good technically but missing the short version of ‘here’s 90% of what you need in much less’, etc.. just turned me off.

It’s also pretty difficult to train hired shop help on such a device, honestly.
Agreed on all counts. The Grin solution was the only way I saw to get what I wanted for my drop bar bike scheme and stuck with it but was glad because it gave me exactly the results I wanted. I haven't used any of their tech for my eMtb builds however.
Clunky due to single shift at a time, or just inherent in the shifter vs others?
More like it is not a very sleek setup but I have been using a grip shift for a number of years now after initially shunning them and maybe all trigger shifters appear that way to me?
I suppose there’s also Microshift..really primarily looking for 8 or 9 speed with clutch derailleur and steel cassette. I guess I could got to a Shimano 10S as another option. Have been on/off considering a wheel build as well, initially for the BBHSD bike, even rear only, after seeing some of the Quando internals and threads, added to shredding cassette stories, abused freehub spline pics, etc. Seems like the SRAM XD spline is probably a more durable option, but don’t need 12s+ nor do I want to pay SRAM prices for ongoing consumables…meh.
As per the Luna page the Z ships with an HG driver. However if I go with a different wheel I would imagine I would stay with that style over the XD anyway. My preferred setup would be similar 8/9spd with a clutched der. and steel cassette and a grip shift actually. We'll see how long the Eagle 12 system lasts.

Most important of course is shift management which I have a pretty good handle on from experience. The TSDZ2 demands shifting to keep it "on the pipe" and I have gotten good service out of drivetrain components in the past.

If I can fit a brake cut out to the left (rear) brake somehow it is possible to slightly pull on that when shifting to cut out the motor kind of like a clutch. I had my first TS bike set up that way as I had mech discs on it and could use the funky supplied lever. Otherwise a shift sensor if I have issues.
Yeah lol - I would but I’ve got too many hobbies and too many N+1s, including at least one car and motorcycle it’s well past time to sell, so it would go a good ways towards wife happiness. What I may wind up doing is building a second from parts.. ;)
I'm sure you know the bursting point.

Looks like Luna opened up the X2 (M600) for pre-order again. Curiously it's $100 less than the BF sale (due to downgrade to DNM shocks).
Luna Cycle is pleased to announce our most exciting bike yet, the X2 which has numerous improvements over its predecessor (the X1) starting with a 20 percent larger battery pack. (17.5ah).
The bike also features our Ludicrous V2 controller, an advanced sine wave controller we developed with this bike in mind, to offer the ultimate in high performance, smoothness and efficiency.
The x2 is the most exciting and advanced high performance e-mountain bike on the market and because we only sale direct you can get it at the amazing price of $4100.

We are taking preorders now and we expect to deliver before Christmas.

Visit our website for more information. https://lunacycle.com/x2-enduro-ebike/

I got an e-mail from Luna also about the preorder for the X2.
Just a heads up on DNM. Two of my buddys about a year ago got bikes that had the front and rear shock substituted from the RockShox to the DNM. One front shock started leaking a month after riding it and both rear shocks just in the last week believe it or not would not fully extend causing the bike to sag.
I think my friends bled all the air out to adjust the set-up and the inner piston got jammed. In both cases we were able to fix the issue after having to bleed the air out on top and release the small amount of air from the bottom and unscrewing the casing to see what was up. There is a slight indent in the top portion that the piston head sets in when in the fully bled out position. Once we moved it downward with a small amount of air past that point it fully extended to its 195mm Eye to Eye length. We removed the shock to work on but I think if you loosened up the top and bottom mounting bolts it might allow enough wiggle room for it to fix itself. We then inflated to 200lbs or so and we were off riding again. Get this, The first time we were 20 miles into the hills and had to operate. Good thing my backpack weighs in at 16lbs, alot of stuff in there, took about 1/2 hr the first time , 20 minutes the second.

Reactions: rtp
No experience but have heard/read DNM shocks are reasonable-ish but nothing good on the forks. It's not terrible IMO, as e.g. BikTrix including on their higher-end $ bikes (Jug FS Pro, now the Monte) are still on tektra brakes and not-named forks, etc. (probably DNM but who knows?).

We're at this point probably starting to 'pollute' Pushkar's forum. In a way too bad, as hey, I got tips on a decent battery welder and lots of misc useful convo throughout, but it's probably a bit in poor taste to continue too much... I did post a single post in the EBR Luna vendor area on the new bikes, and there are threads on their forum, but I think I'm outta this thread. Will post impressions once my X2 makes it in the Luna EBR section.

Hopefully one day I'll still have at least a WW controller Ultra or M600 in the future, and hope everyone's Hydras and others are all problem-free and kickass. :)

I don’t think Pushkar has given up working on his M600 with good CG and aftermarket controller project I mentioned several months ago. I believe it will out class the Luna X2, we will just have to wait and see. I have the first one reserved but I am patient.

Dengfu manufacture carbon bike frames, nothing to do with helios. Dengfu manufacture some frames that the wider public can buy, some boutique brands purchased some of these frames and built branding around them pretending they designed them, some 'brands' purchased regional exclusivity on 1 frame type others on another frame type. These frames were available to the public waay before pushkar and eric luna started using them. X1 was before Hydra.

Pushkar is not innotrace. Like pushkar is not SRAM or Fox.
Totally correct. I had 2 e10's made up by Dengfu and shipped to New Zealand long before Pushkar launched the Hydra. Dengfu have sold these frames all over the world and I can't see how WW could have any claim to IP. At best Pushkar could have negotiated exclusivity in North America for a period of time but if he did, this has clearly expired. Competition is good for consumers so no issues.

Totally correct. I had 2 e10's made up by Dengfu and shipped to New Zealand long before Pushkar launched the Hydra. Dengfu have sold these frames all over the world and I can't see how WW could have any claim to IP. At best Pushkar could have negotiated exclusivity in North America for a period of time but if he did, this has clearly expired. Competition is good for consumers so no issues.
Not Correct. E 10 is the same as the Luna X2 with an M 600. Wattwagons Hydra is an E 22. Pushkar custom made the rear suspension for the E22. Engineered it as well adding interior steel at brake mounting post for support as they had many failures in development. For this he was supposed to have exclusivity in the US for a period of time. This did not happen.

Back